Contact Dr Peter Barker
- Tel: +44 (0) 1793 785758
- Email: email@example.com
Areas of expertise
- Communications Systems
Peter is a lecturer in Communications and Communications Electronic Warfare in the Centre for Electronic Warfare, Information and Cyber (CEWIC) at Cranfield Defence and Security. He is currently on the Education and Scholarship pathway.
Before joining Cranfield University, Peter was a Burnham Lecturer at the Defence School of Communications and Information Systems, Blandford, Dorset (2005 - 2014). He taught communications systems technology on the Foreman of Signals (FofS) / BEng Communications Systems Engineering course. He was also academic course tutor and lecturer on the MSc Communications and Information Systems Management (CISM) course. Prior to that, he was a lecturer and researcher in communications and information technology at Bournemouth University, School of Design, Engineering and Computing (1994 - 2005).
Peter has a PhD from Bournemouth University (2003) in Modelling Infrared Wireless Communications protocols. He gained an MSc in Information Technology from Napier University, Edinburgh (1993) and a BSc (Hons) in Applied Physics from Dublin City University (1991).
Peter is module leader and lecturer on communications and signal processing modules on the MSc Military Electronic Systems Engineering (MESE) course and the Battlespace Technology course (BTC). He also supervises student project within the courses. In addition, he lectures on communications technology on a range of other courses.His academic interests include electronic warfare systems and military communications, UAV communications, mobile communications, cryptographic systems, optical wireless communications, advanced digital encoding and modulation techniques.
Articles In Journals
- Vitsas V, Barker P & Boucouvalas AC (2003) IrDA infrared wireless communications: Protocol throughput optimization, IEEE Wireless Communications, 10 (2) 22-29.
- Barker P, Vitsas V & Boucouvalas AC (2002) Simulation analysis of advanced infrared (Alr) MAC wireless communications protocol, IEE Proceedings: Circuits Devices and Systems, 149 (3) 193-197.
- Barker P, Boucouvalas AC & Vitsas V (2000) Performance modelling of the IrDA infrared wireless communications protocol, International Journal of Communication Systems, 13 (7-8) 589-604.
- Barker P & Boucouvalas AC (1998) Performance modeling of the IrDA protocol for infrared wireless communications, IEEE Communications Magazine, 36 (12) 113-117.
- Djamaa B., Richardson M., Barker P. & Owens I. (2015) Discovery of things: A fully-distributed opportunistic approach. In: IEEE 81st Vehicular Technology Conference, Glasgow, 11-14 May 2015.
- Djamaa B., Richardson M., Barker P. & Aissani M. (2015) Multicast burst forwarding in constrained networks. In: IEEE 81st Vehicular Technology Conference, Glasgow, 11-14 May 2015.