Contact Dr Pere Suau-Sanchez
Areas of expertise
Pere Suau-Sanchez is a senior lecturer in Air Transport Management at Cranfield University, where he teaches on the Air Transport Management and Airport Planning and Management courses. From 2014 to 2018, he was also the course director for the MSc in Airport Planning and Management.
He is PhD in Geography (2011, Autonomous University of Barcelona) and has been a guest researcher at the Worldwide Scientific Network for Aviation Research and Policy in Amsterdam (2008-2010). He joined the Centre for Air Transport Management at Cranfield University in May 2012. Pere has also been project manager at the Observatory of Urbanization (2006-2007, Autonomous University of Barcelona) and the Department of Transport Planning of the Barcelona Metropolitan Agency for Urban and Infrastructure Development (2005-2006).
His research and consultancy activities expand over a wide range of topics, including digital aviation, airline networks, airport connectivity, route development, airport strategic management, spatial and land-use planning around airports, and aircraft noise annoyance. He has participated in several R&D projects and research grants funded by the Research Council of Norway, the Spanish Ministry of Science and the Catalan Government. He has also led aviation consultancy projects for a diverse range of international clients (airlines, airports and governments).
He is also a regular contributor to international media and press, including the BBC, CNN, Forbes, La Vanguardia, Expansión, China International Radio, and Radio Nacional de España, among others. He is a Chartered Member of the UK Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport.
Articles In Journals
- Piltz C, Voltes-Dorta A & Suau-Sanchez P (2018) A comparative analysis of hub connections of European and Asian airports against Middle Eastern hubs in intercontinental markets, Journal of Air Transport Management, 66 1-12. Dataset/s: 10.1016/j.jairtraman.2017.09.006.
- Zeigler P, Pagliari R, Suau-Sanchez P, Malighetti P & Redondi R (2017) Low-cost carrier entry at small European airports: low-cost carrier effects on network connectivity and self-transfer potential, Journal of Transport Geography, 60 (April) 68-79.
- Suau-Sanchez P, Voltes-Dorta A & Rodríguez-Déniz H (2017) An assessment of the potential for self-connectivity at European airports in holiday markets, Tourism Management, 62 (October) 54-64.
- Voltes-Dorta A, Rodríguez-Déniz H & Suau-Sanchez P (2017) Vulnerability of the European air transport network to major airport closures from the perspective of passenger delays: Ranking the most critical airports, Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 96 119-145.
- Suau-Sanchez P, Rodríguez-Deniz H & Voltes-Dorta A (2017) Passenger recovery after an airport closure at tourist destinations: A case study of Palma de Mallorca airport, Tourism Management, 59 449-466.
- Suau-Sanchez P, Voltes-Dorta A & Rodríguez-Déniz H (2016) Measuring the potential for self-connectivity in global air transport markets: Implications for airports and airlines, Journal of Transport Geography, 57 (December) 70-82.
- Budd T & Suau-Sanchez P (2016) Assessing the fuel burn and CO2 impacts of the introduction of next generation aircraft: A study of a major European low-cost carrier, Research in Transportation Business and Management, 21 (December) 68-75.
- Tembleque-Vilalta M & Suau-Sanchez P (2016) A model to analyse the profitability of long-haul network development involving non-hub airports: The case of the Barcelona-Asian market, Case Studies on Transport Policy, 4 (2) 188-197.
- Suau-Sanchez P, Voltes-Dorta A & Rodríguez-Déniz H (2016) The role of London airports in providing connectivity for the UK: Regional dependence on foreign hubs, Journal of Transport Geography, 50 94-104.
- Fageda X, Suau-Sanchez P & Mason KJ (2015) The evolving low-cost business model: Network implications of fare bundling and connecting flights in Europe, Journal of Air Transport Management, 42 289-296.
- Suau-Sanchez P, Voltes-Dorta A & Rodríguez-Déniz H (2015) Regulatory airport classification in the US: The role of international markets, Transport Policy, 37 157-166.
- Suau-Sanchez P, Burghouwt G & Pallares-Barbera M (2014) An appraisal of the CORINE land cover database in airport catchment area analysis using a GIS approach., Journal of Air Transport Management, 34 12-16.
- Suau-Sanchez P (2013) Uneven patterns in airport seat capacity distribution: a review, Documents d'Anàlisi Geogràfica, 59 (1) 167-177.
- Rodríguez-Déniz H, Suau-Sanchez P & Voltes-Dorta A. (2013) Classifying airports according to their hub dimensions: an application to the US domestic network, Journal of Transport Geography, 33 (December) 188-195.
- Pallares-Barbera M, Suau-Sanchez P, Le Heron R & Fromhold-Eisebith M (2012) Globalising economic spaces, uneven development and regional challenges: Introduction to the special issue, Urbani Izziv, 23 (SUPPL. 2) S2-S10.
- Suau-Sanchez P, Pallares-Barbera M, Tamásy C & Taylor M (2012) Relational dimensions of regional growth: Introduction to the special issue, Urbani Izziv, 23 (SUPPL. 1) S2-S6.
- Suau-Sanchez P & Burghouwt G (2012) Connectivity levels and the competitive position of Spanish airports and Iberia's network rationalization strategy, 2001-2007, Journal of Air Transport Management, 18 (1) 47-53.
- Suau-Sanchez P (2012) Social factors in an institutional transition: Lessons from the ATC conflict in Spain., Network Industries Quarterly, 14 (4) 7-9.
- Suau-Sanchez P & Burghouwt G (2011) The geography of the Spanish airport system: Spatial concentration and deconcentration patterns in seat capacity distribution, 2001-2008, Journal of Transport Geography, 19 (2) 244-254.
- Suau-Sanchez P, Pallares-Barbera M & Paül V (2011) Incorporating annoyance in airport environmental policy: Noise, societal response and community participation, Journal of Transport Geography, 19 (2) 275-284.
- Suau-Sanchez P & Pallares-Barbera M (2007) Airport planning and environmental strategies in catalonia, Boletin de la Asociacion de Geografos Espanoles (45) 395-401.
- Suau-Sanchez P (2013) Aeroport de Sabadell: La Singularitat de l’Èxit. In: Made in Sabadell. Cebollada Frontera A (ed.), Sabadell: Ajuntament de Sabadell, Museus Municipals de Sabadell, p. 31-35.
- Suau-Sanchez & P (2010) Subjective appraisal of aircraft noise. In: Airports in Cities and Regions. Research and Practice. Knippenberger U, Wall A (ed.), Karlsruhe: Karlsruher Institut für Technologie Scientific Publishing, p. 137-142.