Contact Dr Pere Suau-Sanchez
Areas of expertise
- Aviation Management & Operations
BackgroundPere Suau-Sanchez is Lecturer in Air Transport Management at Cranfield University where he teaches in Air Transport Management and Airport Planning and Management MSc and Executive courses. He is also Course Director for the MSc in Airport Planning and Management.
He is PhD in Geography (2011, Autonomous University of Barcelona) and has been guest researcher at the Worldwide Scientific Network for Aviation Research and Policy in Amsterdam (2008-2010), and joined the Centre for Air Transport Management at Cranfield University in May 2012. Pere has also been project manager at the Observatory of Urbanization (2006-2007, Autonomous University of Barcelona) and the Department of Transport Planning of the Barcelona Metropolitan Agency for Urban and Infrastructure Development (2005-2006).
His research focuses on airline networks, spatial and land-use planning in relation to airports, and aircraft noise annoyance. He has participated in several R&D projects and research grants funded by the Spanish Ministry of Science and the Catalan Government.
From 2007 to 2012 he was Treasurer of the Association of Professional Geographers of Catalonia. He is also a regular contributor to the Spanish newspaper La Vanguardia, and has contributed to BBC, CNN, The Independent on Sunday, China International Radio, Expansión and Radio Nacional de España.
Articles In Journals
- Reiter V, Voltes-Dorta A & Suau-Sanchez P (2022) The substitution of short-haul flights with rail services in German air travel markets: A quantitative analysis, Case Studies on Transport Policy, 10 (4) 2025-2043.
- Dobruszkes F, Decroly JM & Suau-Sanchez P (2022) The monthly rhythms of aviation: a global analysis of passenger air service seasonality, Transportation Research Interdisciplinary Perspectives, 14 (June) Article No. 100582.
- Sismanidou A, Tarradellas J & Suau-Sanchez P (2022) The uneven geography of US air traffic delays: quantifying the impact of connecting passengers on delay propagation, Journal of Transport Geography, 98 (January) Article No. 103260.
- Halpern N, Mwesiumo D, Suau-Sanchez P, Budd T & Brathen S (2021) Ready for digital transformation? The effect of organisational readiness, innovation, airport size and ownership on digital change at airports, Journal of Air Transport Management, 90 (January) Article No. 101949.
- Budd T, Suau-Sanchez P, Halpern N, Mwesiumo D & Bråthen (2021) An assessment of air passenger confidence a year into the COVID-19 crisis: A segmentation analysis of passengers in Norway, Journal of Transport Geography, 96 (October) Article No. 103204.
- Mwesiumo D, Halpern N, Budd T, Suau-Sanchez P & Bråthen S (2021) An exploratory and confirmatory composite analysis of a scale for measuring privacy concerns, Journal of Business Research, 136 (November) 63-75.
- Halpern N, Budd T, Suau-Sanchez P, Bråthen S & Mwesiumo D (2021) Conceptualising airport digital maturity and dimensions of technological and organisational transformation, Journal of Airport Management, 15 (2) 182-203.
- Heffer-Flaata H, Voltes-Dorta A & Suau-Sanchez P (2021) The impact of accommodation taxes on outbound travel demand from the United Kingdom to European destinations, Journal of Travel Research, 60 (4) 749-760.
- Halpern N, Mwesiumo D, Budd T, Suau-Sanchez P & Bråthen S. (2021) Segmentation of passenger preferences for using digital technologies at airports in Norway, Journal of Air Transport Management, 91 (March) Article No. 102005.
- Never J & Suau-Sanchez P (2020) Challenging the interline and codeshare legacy: Drivers and barriers for airline adoption of airport facilitated inter-airline network connectivity schemes, Research in Transportation Economics, 79 (March) Article No. 100736.
- Jimenez E & Suau-Sanchez P (2020) Reinterpreting the role of primary and secondary airports in low-cost carrier expansion in Europe, Journal of Transport Geography, 88 (October) Article No. 102847.
- Wendt P, Voltes-Dorta A & Suau-Sanchez P (2020) Estimating the costs for the airport operator and airlines of a drone-related shutdown: an application to Frankfurt international airport, Journal of Transportation Security, 13 (1) 93-116.
- Inchausti-Sintes F, Voltes-Dorta A & Suau-Sánchez P (2020) The income elasticity gap and its implications for economic growth and tourism development: the Balearic vs the Canary Islands, Current Issues in Tourism, 24 (1) 98-116.
- Suau-Sanchez P, Voltes-Dorta A & Cugueró-Escofet N. (2020) An early assessment of the impact of COVID-19 on air transport: Just another crisis or the end of aviation as we know it?, Journal of Transport Geography, 86 (June) Article No. 102749.
- Suau-Sanchez P & Voltes-Dorta A (2019) Drivers of airport scheduled traffic in European winter tourism areas: infrastructure, accessibility, competition and catchment area, Journal of Air Transport Management, 81 (October) Article No. 101723.
- Piltz C, Voltes-Dorta A & Suau-Sanchez P (2018) A comparative analysis of hub connections of European and Asian airports against Middle Eastern hubs in intercontinental markets, Journal of Air Transport Management, 66 (January) 1-12. Dataset/s: 10.1016/j.jairtraman.2017.09.006.
- Suau-Sanchez P, Rodríguez-Deniz H & Voltes-Dorta A (2017) Passenger recovery after an airport closure at tourist destinations: A case study of Palma de Mallorca airport, Tourism Management, 59 (April) 449-466.
- Zeigler P, Pagliari R, Suau-Sanchez P, Malighetti P & Redondi R (2017) Low-cost carrier entry at small European airports: low-cost carrier effects on network connectivity and self-transfer potential, Journal of Transport Geography, 60 (April) 68-79.
- Voltes-Dorta A, Rodríguez-Déniz H & Suau-Sanchez P (2017) Vulnerability of the European air transport network to major airport closures from the perspective of passenger delays: Ranking the most critical airports, Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 96 119-145.
- Suau-Sanchez P, Voltes-Dorta A & Rodríguez-Déniz H (2017) An assessment of the potential for self-connectivity at European airports in holiday markets, Tourism Management, 62 (October) 54-64.
- Suau-Sanchez P, Voltes-Dorta A & Rodríguez-Déniz H (2016) The role of London airports in providing connectivity for the UK: Regional dependence on foreign hubs, Journal of Transport Geography, 50 (January) 94-104.
- Budd T & Suau-Sanchez P (2016) Assessing the fuel burn and CO2 impacts of the introduction of next generation aircraft: A study of a major European low-cost carrier, Research in Transportation Business and Management, 21 (December) 68-75.
- Suau-Sanchez P, Voltes-Dorta A & Rodríguez-Déniz H (2016) Measuring the potential for self-connectivity in global air transport markets: Implications for airports and airlines, Journal of Transport Geography, 57 (December) 70-82.
- Tembleque-Vilalta M & Suau-Sanchez P (2016) A model to analyse the profitability of long-haul network development involving non-hub airports: The case of the Barcelona-Asian market, Case Studies on Transport Policy, 4 (2) 188-197.
- Fageda X, Suau-Sanchez P & Mason KJ (2015) The evolving low-cost business model: network implications of fare bundling and connecting flights in Europe, Journal of Air Transport Management, 42 (January) 289-296.
- Suau-Sanchez P, Voltes-Dorta A & Rodríguez-Déniz H (2015) Regulatory airport classification in the US: The role of international markets, Transport Policy, 37 (January) 157-166.
- Suau-Sanchez P, Burghouwt G & Pallares-Barbera M (2014) An appraisal of the CORINE land cover database in airport catchment area analysis using a GIS approach., Journal of Air Transport Management, 34 12-16.
- Suau-Sanchez P (2013) Uneven patterns in airport seat capacity distribution: a review, Documents d'Anàlisi Geogràfica, 59 (1) 167-177.
- Rodríguez-Déniz H, Suau-Sanchez P & Voltes-Dorta A. (2013) Classifying airports according to their hub dimensions: an application to the US domestic network, Journal of Transport Geography, 33 (December) 188-195.
- Pallares-Barbera M, Suau-Sanchez P, Le Heron R & Fromhold-Eisebith M (2012) Globalising economic spaces, uneven development and regional challenges: Introduction to the special issue, Urbani Izziv, 23 (SUPPL. 2) S2-S10.
- Suau-Sanchez P, Pallares-Barbera M, Tamásy C & Taylor M (2012) Relational dimensions of regional growth: Introduction to the special issue, Urbani Izziv, 23 (SUPPL. 1) S2-S6.
- Suau-Sanchez P & Burghouwt G (2012) Connectivity levels and the competitive position of Spanish airports and Iberia's network rationalization strategy, 2001-2007, Journal of Air Transport Management, 18 (1) 47-53.
- Suau-Sanchez P (2012) Social factors in an institutional transition: Lessons from the ATC conflict in Spain., Network Industries Quarterly, 14 (4) 7-9.
- Suau-Sanchez P & Burghouwt G (2011) The geography of the Spanish airport system: Spatial concentration and deconcentration patterns in seat capacity distribution, 2001-2008, Journal of Transport Geography, 19 (2) 244-254.
- Suau-Sanchez P, Pallares-Barbera M & Paül V (2011) Incorporating annoyance in airport environmental policy: Noise, societal response and community participation, Journal of Transport Geography, 19 (2) 275-284.
- Suau-Sanchez P & Pallares-Barbera M (2007) Airport planning and environmental strategies in catalonia, Boletin de la Asociacion de Geografos Espanoles (45) 395-401.
- Suau-Sanchez P (2013) Aeroport de Sabadell: La Singularitat de l’Èxit. In: Made in Sabadell. Cebollada Frontera A (ed.), Sabadell: Ajuntament de Sabadell, Museus Municipals de Sabadell, p. 31-35.
- Suau-Sanchez & P (2010) Subjective appraisal of aircraft noise. In: Airports in Cities and Regions. Research and Practice. Knippenberger U, Wall A (ed.), Karlsruhe: Karlsruher Institut für Technologie Scientific Publishing, p. 137-142.