Contact Dr Pedro Talaia
Areas of expertise
- Design, Strategy & Innovation
- Ergonomics, Human Factors, Driver Safety
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Mechatronics & Advanced Controls
Dr. Pedro Talaia received his PhD in Applied Mechanics from the University of West Bohemia, Czech Republic, and has been a Marie Curie Scholarship holder. He was awarded his degree and Mechanical Engineering, with a major in Industrial Automation, and his Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering in applied Product Development, by the Universidade de Aveiro, Portugal.
He has been involved in several national and international projects, with experience in several countries. During his career, he has worked in the domains of transport, safety, bio-mechanics, orthopaedics, aircraft and defence.
- product development
- rapid prototyping
- mechatronics and automatic control
- sensors, instrumentation and data mining
- AR & VR
- project management
Dr. Pedro Talaia is a Research Fellow in Control Systems Engineering within the Cranfield Centre for Competitive Creative Design (C4D).
He is a member of the design team within the “Breakthrough Innovation Hub”. His work is focused on instrumentation and control, applied to product testing, real-time monitoring, remote sensing and diagnostics, and IoT (Internet of Things).
His major role on Cranfield's “Nano Membrane Toilet”, sponsored by the “Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation”.
ClientsBill & Melinda Gates Foundation
EDA - European Defence Agency
Renault CACIA, S.A.
EC - European Commission
University of West Bohemia
Universidade de Aveiro
Articles In Journals
- Jones PM, Lonne Q, Talaia P, Leighton GJT, Botte GG, Mutnuri S & Williams L (2018) A straightforward route to sensor selection for IoT systems, Research-Technology Management, 61 (5) 41-50.
- Ramos A, Talaia P & Queirós de Melo F (2016) Pseudo-dynamic analysis of a cemented hip arthroplasty using a force method based on the Newmark algorithm, Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 19 (1) 49-59.
- Barros L, Talaia P, Drummond M & Natal-Jorge R (2014) Facial pressure zones of an oronasal interface for noninvasive ventilation: A computer model analysis, Jornal Brasileiro de Pneumologia, 40 (6) 652-657.
- Ramos A, Ballu A, Mesnard M, Talaia P & Simões J (2011) Numerical and experimental models of the mandible, Experimental Mechanics, 51 (7) 1053-1059.
- Completo A, Talaia P, Fonseca F & Simões J (2009) Relationship of design features of stemmed tibial knee prosthesis with stress shielding and end-of-stem pain, Materials and Design, 30 (4) 1391-1397.
- Talaia P, Ramos A, Abe I, Schiller M, Lopes P, Nogueira R, Pinto J, Claramunt R & Simões J (2007) Plated and intact femur strains in fracture fixation using fiber Bragg gratings and strain gauges, Experimental Mechanics, 47 (3) 355-363.
- Talaia P, Parente M, Fernandes A & Natal Jorge R (2012) 3D geometry reconstruction from gray and RGB medical images. In: Third ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Computational Vision and Medical Image Processing (VipIMAGE 2011), Olhao, 12-14 October 2011.
- Ramos A, Mesnard M, Relvas C, Completo A, Talaia P & Simões J (2010) The influence of screw positions of bone fixation screws on a TMJ implant. In: 6th World Congress of Biomechanics (WCB 2010), Singapore, 1-6 August 2010.
- Moreno D, Talaia P, De Cuyper J & Lozano M (2008) MYMOSA - A virtual motorcycle rider for closed-loop simulation of motorcycles. In: 23rd International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering 2008 (ISMA 2008), Leuven, 15-17 September 2008.
- Talaia P, Moreno D, Hajžman M & Hynčík L (2008) A 3D model of a human for powered two-wheeler vehicles. In: 23rd International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering 2008 (ISMA 2008), Leuven, 15-17 September 2008.
- Milczewski M, Martelli C, Canning J, Kalinowski H, Simões J, Stevenson M & Talaia P (2007) Orthodontie forces sensing with polymer PCF. In: 3rd European Workshop on Optical Fibre Sensors (EWOFS 2007), Napoli, 4-6 July 2007.
- Talaia P, Abe I, Schiller M, Lopes P, Nogueira R, Pinto J, Claramunt R & Simões J (2006) Measuring strains on fracture femurs with osteosynthesis bone plates using fibre bragg sensors and strain gauges. In: 4th IASTED International Conference on Biomechanics (BioMech 2006), Palma de Mallorca, 28-29 August 2006.
- Sun P, Talaia P, Rocha A, Grácio J & Ferreira J (2002) Experimental device about automatic control of a hydraulic press. In: Asian Simulation Conference / 5th International Conference on: System Simulation and Scientific Computing, Shanghai, 3-6 November 2002.