Contact Dr Pavan Addepalli
Areas of expertise
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Structures and Materials
- Throughlife Engineering Services
Before joining Cranfield in 2013, Pavan
was at the TWI NDT Validation Centre Wales, working on the non-destructive
evaluation of metals and composite materials. He was the recipient of the
Prince of Wales Innovation Scholarship awarded by the University of Wales in
2010 to take up doctoral research in using Thermography to characterise defects
and damage occurring in advanced composite materials. He holds a PhD from the University of Wales Trinity St David, an MPhil in
Material Technology from Swansea University, UK and a BEng in Mechanical
Engineering from Anna University, India. He is a Chartered Engineer (CEng) and
a full professional member of both the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
(MIMechE) and the Institution of Engineering and Technology (MIET).
Pavan Addepalli is a Lecturer in Degradation Assessment based with the Centre for Digital Engineering and Manufacturing, Manufacturing Theme at Cranfield University.
Pavan is currently working on an Innovate UK project seeking to create a digital twin capable of providing maintenance decisions. He was the Co-investigator for the Lloyd's Register project that looks at creating an inspection system capable of identifying counterfeit electronic components together. Additionally, Pavan supports the EPSRC awarded Platform Grant investigating material behaviour of advanced materials and composites looking at the influence of multiple degradation mechanisms. He continues to expand his research in the area of Non-destructive testing methods, especially Thermography.
Pavan's research interest include:
- Thermography - Passive & Active
- Non-destructive testing (NDT): 3D X-CT, 3D Imaging, Ultrasonic testing and Dye Penetrant Testing
- Mechanical testing & material characterisation
- Composites - near and sub-surface defect and damage assessment
- Counterfeit electronic component detection
- Through-life Engineering Services
- Digital architecture to support servitization - digital twins
- Rolls-Royce Plc
- BAE Systems
- Bombardier Transportation
- International Tin Association (ITA)
- Elan Business Associates
- Network Rail
- H S Marston Ltd, part of UTC Aerospace Systems
Articles In Journals
- Wang Y, Zhao Y & Addepalli S (2021) Practical options for adopting recurrent neural network and its variants on remaining useful life prediction, Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering, 34, (July) Article No. 69.
- Zhao Y, Liu H & Addepalli P (2020) A miniaturized active thermography system to inspect composite laminates, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 17 (5) 3314-3323.
- Liu H, Tinsley L, Lam W, Addepalli S, Liu X, Starr A & Zhao Y (2020) A novel inspection technique for electronic components using thermography (NITECT), Sensors, 20 (17) Article No. 5013.
- Zhao Y, Liu H, Tinsley L, Addepalli P & Starr A (2020) Detectability evaluation of attributes anomaly for electronic components using pulsed thermography, Infrared Physics and Technology, 111 (December) Article No. 103513.
- D’Amico D, Ekoyuncu J, Addepalli S, Smith C, Keedwell E, Sibson J & Penver S (2019) Conceptual framework of a digital twin to evaluate the degradation status of complex engineering systems, Procedia CIRP, 86 61-67.
- Du W, Addepalli S & Zhao Y (2019) The spatial resolution enhancement for a thermogram enabled by controlled sub-pixel movements, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 69 (6) 3566-3575.
- Addepalli S, Zhao Y, Roy R, Galhenege W, Colle M, Yu J & Ucur A (2019) Non-destructive evaluation of localised heat damage occurring in carbon composites using thermography and thermal diffusivity measurement, Measurement, 131 (January) 706-713. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.3490688
- Zhao Y, Addepalli S, Sirikham A & Roy R (2018) A confidence map based damage assessment approach using pulsed thermographic inspection, NDT & E International, 93 (January) 86-97. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.5480683.v1
- Yazdani Nezhad H,Stratakis D, Ayre D, Addepalli S & Zhao Y (2018) Mechanical performance of composite bonded joints in the presence of localised process-induced zero-thickness defects, Procedia Manufacturing, 16 91-98.
- Luna J, Addepalli S, Salonitis K & Makatsoris H (2018) Assessment of an emerging aerospace manufacturing cluster and its dependence on the mature global clusters, Procedia Manufacturing, 19 26-33.
- Witwit W, Zhao Y, Jenkins K & Addepalli S (2018) Global motion based video super-resolution reconstruction using discrete wavelet transform, Multimedia Tools and Applications, 77 (20) 27641-27660.
- Grenyer A, Addepalli S, Zhao Y, Oakey L, Erkoyuncu JA & Roy R (2018) Identifying challenges in quantifying uncertainty: case study in infrared thermography, Procedia CIRP, 73 108-113.
- Addepalli S, Pagalday G, Salonitis K & Roy R (2018) Socio-economic and demographic factors that contribute to the growth of the civil aviation industry, Procedia Manufacturing, 19 2-9.
- Addepalli S, Roy R, Axinte D & Mehnen J (2017) ‘In-situ’Inspection Technologies: Trends in Degradation Assessment and Associated Technologies, Procedia CIRP, 59 35-40.
- Zhao Y, Tinsley L, Addepalli Sri, Mehnen J & Roy R (2016) A coefficient clustering analysis for damage assessment of composites based on pulsed thermographic inspection, NDT & E International, 83 (October) 59-67.
- Addepalli S, Eiroa D, Lieotrakool S, François A-L, Guisset J, Sanjaime D, Kazarian M, Duda J, Roy R & Phillips P. (2015) Degradation study of heat exchangers, Procedia CIRP, 38 137-142.
- Grenyer A, Erkoyuncu JA, Addepalli S & Zhao Y (2020) An uncertainty quantification and aggregation framework for system performance assessment in industrial maintenance. In: TESConf 2020 - 9th International Conference on Through-life Engineering Services, Online, 3-4 November 2020. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12906443
- Roy R, Mehnen J, Addepalli S, Redding L, Tinsley L & Okoh C (2014) Service knowledge capture and reuse. In: 6th CIRP Conference on Industrial Product-Service Systems, Windsor, 1-2 May 2014.
- Redding L, Addepalli S, Roy R, Menhen J, Tinsley L, Morar N, Okoh C & Kakandar E (2014) Service damage characterisation: A new model to build a semantics based and automated evaluation system. In: The 3rd EPSRC Manufacturing the Future Conference - 2014, Glasgow, 23-24 September 2014.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, Ayre D, Addepalli P & Zhao Y Performance of aerospace composite bonded joints in the presence of process-induced defects. In: 39th International MATADOR Conference on Advanced Manufacturing, Manchester, 5-7 July 2017.
- Addepalli S, Zhao Y & Tinsley L. (2017) Thermographic NDT for through-life inspection of high value components. In: Advances in Through-life Engineering Services, Springer, Cham, p. 189-197. Dataset/s: 10.1007/978-3-319-49938-3_12
- Addepalli SNP & Tinsley L (2014) Active thermography in through-life engineering. In: Through-life Engineering Services, SAGE Publications (UK and US), p. 117-127.