Contact Dr Paul Hutchings
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 758352
- Email: email@example.com
- Twitter: @pt_hutch
- Linkedin: https://uk.linkedin.com/pub/paul-hutchings/46/436/52a
Areas of expertise
Dr Paul Hutchings is a Lecturer in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Impact Evaluation at Cranfield University, where he leads the Water and Sanitation for Development MSc programme. He is a social scientist focused on the provision of WASH services with a focus on low and middle-income countries. His research takes a problem-driven approach and usually involves interdisciplinary collaboration across social, environmental, public health and engineering sciences. He is Co-Editor of the practitioner-focused publication - Waterlines: an International Journal of Water, Sanitation and Waste.
Paul’s research cuts across the following two major themes
WASH, health and wellbeing
Paul is interested in understanding and measuring the relationship between WASH, health and wellbeing so to improve intervention design. This includes his leadership of the DFID-ESRC funded research project on water security and wellbeing among pastoralists in Ethiopia (WEEP) and on-going collaborative research on the links between WASH and child health in Ethiopia. Through this research theme, Paul hopes to provide an evidence base for the development and testing of new WASH and integrated development interventions that are more likely to lead to sustained health and wellbeing outcomes.
WASH, institutions and planning
Understanding the functioning of water institutions is another important part of Paul’s work. Through the Australian Aid supported Community Water Plus project (2013-2016), he tried to better understand the institutional and financing mechanisms needed to support sustainable community management in India. He continues to be interested in the relationship between government and communities within service delivery systems, and is currently Principle Investigator on an ESRC project working to develop more integrated planning frameworks for urban and rural sanitation in India.
Paul is interested to hear from prospective research students, clients and
collaborators that are interested in working with him on these or related topics.
PI - Rurality as a Vehicle for Urban Sanitation Transformation.
ICSSR-ESRC Programme for Collaborative Research on Urban Transformations in India
(ES/R006865/1). 2018-2020. Value: £533,013.
PI - Water-security in Ethiopia and the Emotional response of Pastoralists (WEEP). ESRC-DFID Development Frontiers (ES/R001049/1). 2017-2019. Value: £260430.33.
PI (internal) - Circular Economy in Brazil, South Africa and UK. Rutherford Fund Strategic Partner Grants. UK Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS). (2018-2019). Value: £118,000.
Involvement with broader projects funded by: EPSRC, European Commission, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and Department for Foreign Affairs and Trade (Government of Australia – Australian Aid).
Articles In Journals
- Budge S, Parker AH, Hutchings PT & Garbutt C (2019) Environmental enteric dysfunction and child stunting, Nutrition Reviews, 77 (4) 240-253.
- Hutchings P & Carter RC (2018) Setting SDG ambitions in a realistic time-scale [Editorial], Waterlines, 37 (1) 1-4.
- Hutchings P, Johns M, Jornet D, Scott C & Van den Bossche Z (2018) A systematic assessment of the pro-poor reach of development bank investments in urban sanitation, Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development, 8 (3) 402-414.
- Hutchings P (2018) Community management or coproduction? The role of state and citizens in rural water service delivery in India, Water Alternatives, 11 (2) 357-374.
- Hutchings P, Franceys R, Mekala S, Smits S & James AJ (2017) Revisiting the history, concepts and typologies of community management for rural drinking water supply in India, International Journal of Water Resources Development, 33 (1) 152-169.
- Hutchings P, Parker A & Jeffrey P (2016) The political risks of technological determinism in rural water supply: a case study from Bihar, India, Journal of Rural Studies, 45 (June) 252-259.
- Hutchings P, Chan MY, Cuadrado L, Ezbakhe F, Mesa B, Tamekawa C & Franceys F (2015) A systematic review of success factors in the community management of rural water supplies over the past 30 years, Water Policy, 17 (5) 963-983.
- Franceys R, Hutchings & P (2017) Governance and regulation of water and sanitation services provision. In: Routledge Handbook of Water Policy and Law. Rieu-Clarke A, Allan A, Hendry S (ed.), Routledge, p. 120-134.
- Hutchings P, Franceys F, Smits S & Mekala S (2017) Community management of rural water supply: case studies of success from India. Earthscan from Routledge.