Contact Dr Patrick Verdin
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x5214
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/patrick-verdin-8652374/
Areas of expertise
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Oil and Gas
- Process Systems Engineering
- Renewable Energy
Dr Patrick Verdin is currently a Lecturer in Energy Fluid Dynamics at Cranfield University. He has more than 15-year expertise in Computational Fluid Dynamics applied to Aerospace (icing), Oil & Gas (multiphase flows, flow separation, droplet transport, sand erosion), and Renewable Energy (geothermal, wind).
After his MSc gained from the University of Sciences and Technologies of Lille (France), Patrick joined Cranfield University and completed a PhD on Aircraft Icing, working on the development of the numerical ice prediction code ICECREMO2. His research work involved a collaboration with the main aircraft companies in the UK: Airbus UK, BAE Systems, Dunlop Aerospace (Meggitt), Rolls-Royce, QinetiQ and Westland Helicopters (now AgustaWestland).
Prior to his position as a Lecturer & Research Fellow in 2008, he has carried out post-doctoral studies in multi-phase flows for the oil & gas sector, working on the development of a CFD droplet transport model for ConocoPhillips (USA), in collaboration with Imperial College London.
Dr Verdin was promoted to Senior Research Fellow in 2012 (his title was changed later on to Lecturer to reflect better his academic activities). Since then, he has been involved in consultancy and research activities at National and European levels. Several of the recent and current projects he is leading funded research in, include the European programme SAFUEL (Safer Fuel System), EMRP I & II (European Metrology Research Programme), HOSE (Hydrodynamic Oil Sample Extraction), Forced Convection Heat Transfer in Unconventional Geothermal Systems, and Oil-Water Slug Flow in Export Pipelines.
- Single/multiphase flows (slug flow, flow separation, mixing);
- Sand erosion;
- Droplet transport;
- Aircraft icing (external surfaces, and fuel systems);
- Renewable geothermal and wind energy.
- Airbus UK
- BAE Systems
- Agusta Westland
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- Innovate UK
- European Commission
Articles In Journals
- Renaud T, Verdin P & Falcone G (2019) Numerical simulation of a deep borehole heat exchanger in the Krafla geothermal system, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 143 (November) Article No. 118496. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.9165968
- González-Neria I, Alonzo-Garcia A, Martínez-Delgadillo SA, Mendoza-Escamilla VX, Yáñez-Varela JA, Verdin PG & Rivadeneyra-Romero G (2019) PIV and dynamic LES of the turbulent stream and mixing induced by a V-grooved blade axial agitator, Chemical Engineering Journal, 374 (October) 1138-1152.
- Mifsud D, Cao Y, Verdin PG & Lao L (2019) The hydrodynamics of two-phase flows in the injection part of a conventional ejector, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 112 (March 2019) 219-242.
- Livinus A, Verdin P, Lao L, Nossen J, Langsholtb M & Sleipnæsb H-G (2018) Simplified generalised drift velocity correlation for elongated bubbles in liquid in pipes, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 160 (January) 106-118.
- Ali HM, Arshad A, Jabbal M & Verdin PG (2018) Thermal management of electronics devices with PCMs filled pin-fin heat sinks: A comparison, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 117 (February) 1199-1204.
- Loyseau XF, Verdin PG & Brown LD (2018) Scale-up and turbulence modelling in pipes, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 162 (March) 1-11.
- Bourdillon AC, Verdin PG & Thompson CP (2016) Numerical simulations of drop size evolution in a horizontal pipeline, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 78 (January) 44-58.
- Gourma M & Verdin P (2016) Two-phase slug flows in helical pipes: slug frequency alterations and helicity fluctuations, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 86 (November) 10-20.
- Loyseau XF & Verdin PG (2016) Statistical model of transient particle dispersion and deposition in vertical pipes, Journal of Aerosol Science, 101 (November) 43-64.
- Bourdillon AC, Verdin PG & Thompson CP (2015) Numerical simulations of water freezing processes in cavities and cylindrical enclosures, Applied Thermal Engineering, 75 839-855.
- Verdin PG, Thompson CP & Brown LD (2014) CFD modelling of stratified/atomization gas-liquid flow in large diameter pipes, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 67 135-143.
- Verdin PG & Charpin JPF (2013) Multi-Stepping Ice Prediction on Cylinders and Other Relevant Geometries, Journal of Aircraft, 50 (3) 871-878.
- Verdin P, Charpin JPF & Thompson CP (2009) Multistep Results in ICECREMO2, Journal of Aircraft, 46 (5) 1607-1613.
- Harireche O, Verdin P, Thompson CP & Hammond DW (2008) Explicit Finite Volume Modeling of Aircraft Anti-Icing and De-Icing, Journal of Aircraft, 45 (6) 1924-1936.
- Renaud T , Verdin P & Falcone G (2019) A numerical study of deep borehole heat exchangers efficiency in unconventional geothermal settings. In: European Geothermal Congress, EGC 2019, The Hague, 11-14 June 2019.
- Renaud T, Stebel M, Verdin P & Falcone G (2018) CFD modeling of a high enthalpy geothermal context. In: 43rd Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir Engineering, Stanford, 12-14 February 2018.
- Verdin PG & Brown LD (2016) CFD study of water droplets in a top rotating wall doughnut cell. In: 9th International Conference on Multiphase Flows, ICMF-2016, Firenze, 22-27 May 2016.
- Brown L, Hewitt GF, Hu B, Thompson CP & Verdin P (2009) Predictions of droplet distribution in low liquid loading, stratified flow in a large diameter pipeline. In: 14th International Conference on Multiphase Production Technology, Cannes, 17 June 2009.
- Verdin PG & Thompson CP (2005) Automatic Multi-Stepping Approach for Ice Prediction. In: WSEAS Multiconference, Fluid Mechanics (FLUIDS'05), Udine, 20 January 2005.