Contact Dr Patrick Verdin
Areas of expertise
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Oil and Gas
- Process Systems Engineering
- Renewable Energy
Dr. Patrick Verdin is a Senior Lecturer in Energy Fluid Dynamics at Cranfield University. He has more than 15 years of expertise in Computational Fluid Dynamics applied to Aerospace (icing), Oil & Gas (multiphase flows, mixing, flow separation, droplet transport, sand erosion), and Renewable Energy (geothermal, wind, tidal).
After his MSc gained from the University of Sciences and Technologies of Lille (France), Patrick joined Cranfield University and completed a Ph.D. on Aircraft Icing, working on the development of the numerical ice prediction code ICECREMO2. His research work involved a collaboration with the main aircraft companies in the UK: Airbus UK, BAE Systems, Dunlop Aerospace (Meggitt), Rolls-Royce, QinetiQ and Westland Helicopters (now AgustaWestland).
Prior to his position as a Lecturer & Research Fellow in 2008, he has carried out post-doctoral studies in multi-phase flows for the oil & gas sector, working on the development of a CFD droplet transport model for ConocoPhillips (USA), in collaboration with Imperial College London.
Dr. Verdin was promoted to Senior Research Fellow in 2012 (his title was changed later on to Lecturer to better reflect his academic activities). Since then, he has been involved in consultancy and research activities at International, European and National levels. Several of the recent and current projects he is leading funded research in, include the European programme SAFUEL (Safer Fuel System), EMRP I & II (European Metrology Research Programme), HOSE (Hydrodynamic Oil Sample Extraction), Forced Convection Heat Transfer in Unconventional Geothermal Systems, Oil-Water Slug Flow in Export Pipelines, and Improving wet gas flowmeter performance by CFD modelling. He has also been involved in the development and the CFD verification of an innovative offshore wind turbine.
Dr. Verdin has a broad knowledge and expertise in numerical model and code development. He has been supervising 14 PhD students as principal supervisor (7 have graduated to date), and more than 40 MSc students. He has been the Deputy Director of the 5 Cranfield MSc courses in Offshore and Ocean Technology (OOT) for 3 years and the Deputy Director of the Energy Systems and Thermal Processes (ESTP) for 6 months before being appointed Director of the Offshore Engineering MSc course in 2018. He has also been a visiting lecturer at ESTIA (Ecole Supérieure des Technologies Avancées - Biarritz, France) for nearly 10 years and he is currently a visiting lecturer at Muscat University (Oman).
Dr. Verdin is currently accepting self-funded Research students (PhD. and MSc by Research) for CFD-based projects in the following areas:
- Oil & Gas
- Renewable Energy
- Phase change
- Numerical code development and optimisation
- Single/multiphase flows (slug flow, flow separation, mixing);
- Sand erosion;
- Droplet transport;
- Aircraft icing (external surfaces, and fuel systems);
- Renewable energy (geothermal, wind, and tidal).
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- Innovate UK
- European Commission
- Airbus UK
- BAE Systems
- Agusta Westland
- Seamach Ltd
- Pietro Fiorentini
Articles In Journals
- Ibnu Syihab ABM, Verdin PG, Wright RM, Piper AT & Rivas Casado M (2021) Computational fluid dynamics simulations of water flow on a studded upstream eel pass, River Research and Applications, Available online 19 July 2021.
- Renaud T, Pan L, Doran H, Falcone G & Verdin PG (2021) Numerical analysis of enhanced conductive deep borehole heat exchangers, Sustainability, 13 (12) Article No. 6918. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.13624139
- Livinus A & Verdin PG (2021) CFD study of the characteristics of a single elongated gas bubble in liquid in a moderately inclined pipe, Upstream Oil and Gas Technology, 7 (September) Article No. 100037.
- Doran HR, Renaud T, Falcone G, Pan L & Verdin P (2021) Modelling an unconventional closed-loop deep borehole heat exchanger (DBHE): sensitivity analysis on the Newberry volcanic setting, Geothermal Energy, 9 (1) Article No. 4. Dataset/s: 10.5525/gla.researchdata.1111
- Mifsud D & Verdin PG (2021) Surrogate-based design optimisation tool for dual-phase fluid driving jet pump apparatus, Archives of Computational Methods in Engineering, 28 (1) 53-89.
- Livinus A & Verdin PG (2021) Experimental study of a single elongated bubble in liquid in under 10-degree upwardly inclined pipes, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 120 (January) Article No. 110247.
- Gourma M & Verdin PG (2020) Nature and magnitude of operating forces in a horizontal bend conveying gas-liquid slug flows, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 190 (July) Article No. 107062.
- Renaud T, Verdin PG & Falcone G (2020) Conjugated numerical approach for modelling DBHE in high geothermal gradient environments, Energies, 13 (22) Article No. 6107. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.13333892.v1
- Renaud T, Verdin P & Falcone G (2019) Numerical simulation of a deep borehole heat exchanger in the Krafla geothermal system, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 143 (November) Article No. 118496. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.9165968
- González-Neria I, Alonzo-Garcia A, Martínez-Delgadillo SA, Mendoza-Escamilla VX, Yáñez-Varela JA, Verdin PG & Rivadeneyra-Romero G (2019) PIV and dynamic LES of the turbulent stream and mixing induced by a V-grooved blade axial agitator, Chemical Engineering Journal, 374 (October) 1138-1152.
- Ernot J, Verdin PG, Ahmad H & Indge P (2019) Analytical and numerical predictions of the thermal performance of multi-layered lattice structures, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 145 (December) Article No. 118752. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.9873233
- Mifsud D, Cao Y, Verdin PG & Lao L (2019) The hydrodynamics of two-phase flows in the injection part of a conventional ejector, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 112 (March) 219-242.
- Livinus A, Verdin P, Lao L, Nossen J, Langsholtb M & Sleipnæsb H-G (2018) Simplified generalised drift velocity correlation for elongated bubbles in liquid in pipes, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 160 (January) 106-118.
- Ali HM, Arshad A, Jabbal M & Verdin PG (2018) Thermal management of electronics devices with PCMs filled pin-fin heat sinks: A comparison, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 117 (February) 1199-1204.
- Loyseau XF, Verdin PG & Brown LD (2018) Scale-up and turbulence modelling in pipes, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 162 (March) 1-11.
- Bourdillon AC, Verdin PG & Thompson CP (2016) Numerical simulations of drop size evolution in a horizontal pipeline, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 78 (January) 44-58.
- Gourma M & Verdin P (2016) Two-phase slug flows in helical pipes: slug frequency alterations and helicity fluctuations, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 86 (November) 10-20.
- Loyseau XF & Verdin PG (2016) Statistical model of transient particle dispersion and deposition in vertical pipes, Journal of Aerosol Science, 101 (November) 43-64.
- Bourdillon AC, Verdin PG & Thompson CP (2015) Numerical simulations of water freezing processes in cavities and cylindrical enclosures, Applied Thermal Engineering, 75 (January) 839-855.
- Verdin PG, Thompson CP & Brown LD (2014) CFD modelling of stratified/atomization gas-liquid flow in large diameter pipes, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 67 135-143.
- Verdin PG & Charpin JPF (2013) Multi-Stepping Ice Prediction on Cylinders and Other Relevant Geometries, Journal of Aircraft, 50 (3) 871-878.
- Verdin P, Charpin JPF & Thompson CP (2009) Multistep Results in ICECREMO2, Journal of Aircraft, 46 (5) 1607-1613.
- Harireche O, Verdin P, Thompson CP & Hammond DW (2008) Explicit Finite Volume Modeling of Aircraft Anti-Icing and De-Icing, Journal of Aircraft, 45 (6) 1924-1936.
- Verdin PG & Thompson CP (2005) Automatic multi-stepping approach for ice predictions, IASME Transactions, 2 (1) 110-115.
- Theo Renaud T, Verdin P & Falcone G (2021) Heat transfer in unconventional geothermal wells: a double numerical modelling approach. In: 16th UK Heat Transfer Conference (UKHTC2019), Nottingham, UK, 8-10 September 2019.
- Renaud T , Verdin P & Falcone G (2019) A numerical study of deep borehole heat exchangers efficiency in unconventional geothermal settings. In: European Geothermal Congress, EGC 2019, The Hague, 11-14 June 2019.
- Renaud T, Stebel M, Verdin P & Falcone G (2018) CFD modeling of a high enthalpy geothermal context. In: 43rd Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir Engineering, Stanford, 12-14 February 2018.
- Verdin PG & Brown LD (2016) CFD study of water droplets in a top rotating wall doughnut cell. In: 9th International Conference on Multiphase Flows, ICMF-2016, Firenze, 22-27 May 2016.
- Brown L, Hewitt GF, Hu B, Thompson CP & Verdin P (2009) Predictions of droplet distribution in low liquid loading, stratified flow in a large diameter pipeline. In: 14th International Conference on Multiphase Production Technology, Cannes, 17 June 2009.
- Verdin PG & Thompson CP (2005) Automatic Multi-Stepping Approach for Ice Prediction. In: WSEAS Multiconference, Fluid Mechanics (FLUIDS'05), Udine, 20 January 2005.