Areas of expertise
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Oil and Gas
- Process Systems Engineering
- Renewable Energy
- Systems Engineering
Dr Patrick Verdin is a Senior Research Fellow in the Energy & Power Theme of the School of Water, Energy, and Environment at Cranfield University.
After his MSc gained from the University of Sciences and Technologies of Lille (France), Patrick joined Cranfield University and completed a PhD in Aircraft Icing, working on the development of the ice prediction code ICECREMO2. His research work involved a collaboration with the main aircraft companies in the UK: Airbus UK, BAE Systems, Dunlop Aerospace (Meggitt), Rolls-Royce, QinetiQ and Westland Helicopters (now AgustaWestland).
Prior to his position as a Lecturer & Research Fellow in 2008, he has carried out post-doctoral studies in multi-phase flows, working on the development of a CFD droplet transport model for ConocoPhillips (USA), in collaboration with Imperial College London.
Dr Verdin was promoted to Senior Research Fellow in 2012. Since then, he has been involved in consultancy and research activities at National and European levels. Several of the recent and current projects he is leading research in include: SAFUEL (Safer Fuel System), EMRP (European Metrology Research Programme) and HOSE (Hydrodynamic Oil Sample Extraction).
- Airbus UK
- BAE Systems
- Agusta Westland
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- European Commission
- Innovate UK
Articles In Journals
- Livinus A, Verdin P, Lao L, Nossen J, Langsholtb M & Sleipnæsb H-G (2018) Simplified generalised drift velocity correlation for elongated bubbles in liquid in pipes, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 160 106-118.
- Ali HM, Arshad A, Jabbal M & Verdin PG (2018) Thermal management of electronics devices with PCMs filled pin-fin heat sinks: A comparison, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 117 1199-1204.
- Loyseau XF, Verdin PG & Brown LD (2018) Scale-up and turbulence modelling in pipes, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 162 1-11.
- Bourdillon AC, Verdin PG & Thompson CP (2016) Numerical simulations of drop size evolution in a horizontal pipeline, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 78 (January) 44-58.
- Gourma M & Verdin P (2016) Two-phase slug flows in helical pipes: Slug frequency alterations and helicity fluctuations, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 86 (November) 10-20.
- Loyseau XF & Verdin PG (2016) Statistical model of transient particle dispersion and deposition in vertical pipes, Journal of Aerosol Science, 101 (November) 43-64.
- Bourdillon AC, Verdin PG & Thompson CP (2015) Numerical simulations of water freezing processes in cavities and cylindrical enclosures, Applied Thermal Engineering, 75 839-855.
- Verdin PG, Thompson CP & Brown LD (2014) CFD modelling of stratified/atomization gas-liquid flow in large diameter pipes, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 67 135-143.
- Verdin PG & Charpin JPF (2013) Multi-Stepping Ice Prediction on Cylinders and Other Relevant Geometries, Journal of Aircraft, 50 (3) 871-878.
- Verdin P, Charpin JPF & Thompson CP (2009) Multistep Results in ICECREMO2, Journal of Aircraft, 46 (5) 1607-1613.
- Harireche O, Verdin P, Thompson CP & Hammond DW (2008) Explicit Finite Volume Modeling of Aircraft Anti-Icing and De-Icing, Journal of Aircraft, 45 (6) 1924-1936.
- Brown L, Hewitt GF, Hu B, Thompson CP & Verdin P (2009) Predictions of droplet distribution in low liquid loading, stratified flow in a large diameter pipeline. In: 14th International Conference on Multiphase Production Technology, Cannes, 17 June 2009.
- Verdin PG & Thompson CP (2005) Automatic Multi-Stepping Approach for Ice Prediction. In: WSEAS Multiconference, Fluid Mechanics (FLUIDS'05), Udine, 20 January 2005.