Contact Dr Patrick McLaughlin
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x5484
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
Patrick McLaughlin is a Chartered Engineer and Eur Ing. He is a Fellow of both the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and the Institution of Engineering and Technology, as well as a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. He has an MSc in Industrial Engineering and Production Management and a Doctorate in Business Administration (DBA), both from Cranfield.
In a career that spans manufacturing engineer, manager and director, he has worked in both multinational and SME businesses. His experiences with a range of manufacturing processes and working for a number of different companies allied to experience in several industries has provided him with a strong background in managing manufacturing operations, including managing growth, downturn, restructuring and relocation of manufacturing facilities.
He has worked at director level in manufacturing operations for over twenty years, and has been responsible for several plant-wide lean manufacturing implementations. He has experience of implementing and managing change programmes to improve manufacturing performance in automotive, capital goods, industrial equipment and consumer durables. This experience includes responsibility for integrating the design and development of new products into a lean operations environment and developing a continuous improvement culture to facilitate performance gains in lean implementations.
Current activities include leading the Operations Excellence MSc course, where he is Course Director.
As Senior Lecturer in Manufacturing Management, he is involved in teaching Manufacturing Strategy Development and Deployment, Innovation Management, Project Management and Operations Excellence.
Research interests include the application of cellular manufacturing techniques to maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) operations to drive productivity improvements; the development and management of innovation capability within a manufacturing environment, employee engagement, creating and sustaining a continuous improvement culture, leadership required to optimise Industry 4.0 beenfits and sustaining operations excellence.
- Rolls-Royce plc
- Brompton Bicycle
- Alamo Group Europe
- Aura Inflight
- DPD group
Articles In Journals
- Alkhoraif A & McLaughlin P (2017) Organisational culture - enablers and inhibitors factors for the effective implementation of lean, International Journal of Lean Thinking, 8 (2) 65-96.
- Mclaughlin, P, Al Ashaab, A, Rashid & H (2017) Factors influence employee engagement leveraging by organisational culture (pilot study in Libyan banking sector), Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, 22 (1) 88-101.
- Algarni N, Mclaughlin P & Al-Ashaab A (2017) 4 Developing a framework to improve leadership performance in healthcare organisations: the case of the kingdom of Saudi Arabia, BMJ Leader, 1 (Suppl 1) A2-A3.
- Eseleni M, McLaughlin P, AlAshaab A, Rashid & H (2016) Impact of organisational culture and leadership on employee engagement in Libyan banking sector, Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, 21 (12) 36-43.
- McLaughlin P (2016) Creating a culture for radical innovation in a small mature business, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, early online version.
- McLaughlin & P (2014) Measuring Productivity, Management Services -Enfield-, 58 (4) 31-37.
- McLaughlin P & Durazo-Cardenas I (2013) Cellular manufacturing applications in MRO operations, Procedia CIRP, 11 254-259.
- McLaughlin P, Bessant J & Smart P (2008) Developing an organisation culture to facilitate radical innovation, International Journal of Technology Management, 44 (3-4) 298-323.
- Alkhoraif A & McLaughlin W (2016) Organisational culture that inhibit the lean implementation. In: The European Business and Management Conference 2016 (EBMC2016), Brighton, 7-10 July 2016.
- Radif M, Fan IS & McLaughln P (2015) Internal and external barriers influencing LMS implementation in Iraqi higher education. In: 8th International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation, 2015, Seville, 18-20 November 2015.
- McLaughlin W (1994) Introduction of cellular manufacturing at Bomford Turner. In: Manufacturing Division Colloquium on Management of Change, London, 2 March 1994.