Contact Dr Pathmeswaran Raju
Areas of expertise
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Defence Systems Engineering
- Operational Analysis and Simulation
- Systems Engineering
Dr Pathmeswaran Raju is a Senior Lecturer in Systems Engineering for Defence Capability at Cranfield University and the Business Lead for the Centre for Systems and Technology Management within the Cranfield Defence and Security. As the Business Lead, he is responsible for promoting centre’s offerings in research, education and consultancy.
His interests centre around investigating model-based engineering approach for solving complex problems in the areas of systems engineering and knowledge based engineering. His recent projects include model-based requirements management, rule-based system modelling, model-driven virtual product design, platform-independent knowledge modelling, knowledge representation for design automation, and knowledge-based decision support.
Prior to joining Cranfield University in 2017, Dr Raju was a Reader in Knowledge Modelling and Head of Knowledge Based Engineering Lab at Birmingham City University, where he managed a team of 3 post-doctoral researchers and 6 PhD students. During this time, he also worked as a Knowledge Modelling Specialist in the Technology Strategy Board (TSB)/Rolls-Royce funded Strategic Investment in Low-carbon Engine Technology 2 (SILOET2) programme developing enterprise-level Platform Independent Knowledge Management (PIKM) system for Rolls-Royce.
Prior to this, he worked as a Senior Researcher on the €14.6million Energetic Algae (EnAlgae) project collaborating with 19 partners and 14 observers across 7 EU Member States. As part of this project, he led the development of decision support system (DSS) for practitioners, policy makers and investors across the algal bioenergy delivery chain.
Dr Raju joined Birmingham City University in 2011 from the University of Salford, where he worked for more than 6 years in a multidisciplinary research institute, which achieved highest ratings in three consecutive Research Assessment Exercises (RAEs), collaborating with built environment, engineering and computing disciplines. From 2005 to 2006, he was a Research Assistant working in an Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) funded first grant project, and from 2007 he was a Research Fellow within the EPSRC funded £8million Innovative Manufacturing Research Centre (IMRC), applying knowledge and computational technologies to solve complex research problems in built environment.
Dr Raju has authored many journal and conference articles, guest-edited several special issues in international journals and organised international workshops and conferences. He is also a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Dr Raju is looking for highly motivated self-funded students to do PhD in the areas of Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE), Knowledge Based Engineering (KBE) and Systems Engineering. If you are interested, please send Dr Raju your CV with a cover letter via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr Raju leads Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE), Systems Engineering and Software (SEAS) and Systems Engineering Workshop (SEW) modules, and also contributes to Advanced Systems Engineering Workshop (ASEW) within the Systems Engineering for Defence Capability (SEDC) MSc programme. He is also leading System Design and Realisation Workshop and Software and Cyber Systems Engineering modules within the new Systems Engineering MSc programme, https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/courses/taught/systems-engineering.
Dr Raju is actively leading research in the areas of Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE), Knowledge Based Engineering (KBE) and Systems Engineering.
He worked on Condition Based Architecture - Engine Health Management (EHM) project funded by Rolls-Royce UK and also on Agile Wing Integration (AWI) project led by Airbus UK.
He leads Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) project on “A system of systems approach to building community disaster resilience: Cutting-edge technologies for situational awareness and decision support” and Higher Education Innovation Fund (HEIF) funded project on “Wargaming" with Airbus.
- UK MoD
Articles In Journals
- Thakur N, Raju P, Krzyzanowski M, Chinchapatnam & P (2018) Logical knowledge-based advanced cost estimation methodology (LKACEM) applied to metal matrix composite aero-engine blisk, International journal of computer science and technology (IJCST), 9 (2) 53-65.
- Farazi F, Chapman C, Raju P & Byrne W (2017) Model-based documentation, Encyclopedia with Semantic Computing and Robotic Intelligence, 1 (1) Article No. 1630009.
- Farazi F, Chapman C, Raju P & Melville L (2017) Ontology-based faceted semantic search with automatic sense disambiguation for bioenergy domain, International Journal of Big Data Intelligence, 5 (1/2) 62-72.
- Gilkinson N, Raju P, Kiviniemi A & Chapman C (2015) Building information modelling: The tide is turning, Proceedings of the ICE - Structures and Buildings, 168 (2) 81-93.
- Trehan V, Chapman C & Raju P (2015) Informal and formal modelling of engineering processes for design automation using knowledge based engineering, Journal of Zhejiang University Science A, 16 (9) 706-723.
- Thomas AM, Vijay VC, Raju P, Chapman C, Chima P, Mathur A & Chemaly A (2013) Parametric virtual laboratory development: A hydropower case study with student perspectives, Advances in Engineering Software, 64 (October) 62-70.
- Babu, Shiva SM, Chapman C & Raju P (2016) A comparative analysis of design automation methods: capabilities, features and technology assessment. In: Advanced Design Concepts and Practice (ADCP 2015), Hangzhou, 18 September - 20 October 2015.
- Farazi F, Chapman C, Raju P & Melville L (2016) WordNet powered faceted semantic search with automatic sense disambiguation for bioenergy domain. In: 2016 IEEE 10th International Conference on Semantic Computing (ICSC), Laguna Hills, CA, 4-6 February 2016.
- Vijay VC, Lees M, Chima P, Chapman C & Raju P (2015) Knowledge based educational framework for enhancing practical skills in engineering distance learners. In: 2015 IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference (EDUCON), Tallinn, 18-20 March 2015.
- Sapkota K, Raju P, Byrne W & Chapman C (2015) Ontology-based economic models for bioenergy and biofuel projects. In: 2015 IEEE 9th International Conference on Semantic Computing (ICSC), Anaheim, CA, 7-9 February 2015.
- Sapkota K, Byrne W, Raju P, Chapman C, Melville L, Wright D & Scott J (2014) Ontology-based pathways generation for biomass to bioenergy conversion. In: 2014 IEEE 11th International Conference on e-Business Engineering, Guangzhou, 5-7 November 2014.
- Mordecai Y, Raju P, Chapman C & Dori D (2014) Physical-informatical essence-duality-aware generic modeling of threat handling processes. In: 2013 UKSim-AMSS 7th European Modelling Symposium on Computer Modelling and Simulation (EMS 2013), Manchester, 20-22 November 2013.
- Velasco M, While D & Raju P (2013) Adaptation of Web services using policies. In: 8th International Conference for Internet Technology and Secured Transactions (ICITST-2013), London, 9-12 December 2013.