Contact Dr Nicholas Marquez-Grant
- a BA Hons in Archaeology and Education from the University of York (1997)
- a Postgraduate Certificate in Education from the University of Bradford (1998),
- a MSc in Osteology, Palaeopathology and Funerary Archaeology from the University of Sheffield (1999)
- a DPhil in Biological Anthropology/Archaeology from the University of Oxford (2006).
During his MSc and DPhil Nicholas specialised in the analysis of human skeletal remains primarily from Punic and Roman Spain, focusing on health, disease and interpreting the data within a biocultural framework. For a number of years, he also worked on human skeletal remains from Prehistoric to early 20th century sites in the UK, Spain, France and Portugal and he has undertaken work on a number of museum collections.
From 2008 to 2013 Nicholas worked full time as a forensic anthropologist and archaeologist for two major forensic science providers in the UK – LGC Forensics and Cellmark Forensic Services – attending crime scenes and mortuaries for a number of police forces in England and Wales.
Nicholas is also a Research Associate at the School of Anthropology and Museum Ethnography, University of Oxford, where he has taught since 2001. He took up his post as Lecturer in Forensic Anthropology at Cranfield University in October 2013.
Nicholas's interests include:
- age estimation in the living
- methods of sex, stature and age-at-death estimation from human skeletal remains
- bioarchaeology – reconstructing lifestyle, health and disease from past populations
- forensic archaeology – the application of archaeological principles, techniques and methodologies in a legal context
- taphonomy – the study of organism decay and fossilisation
- trauma - the study of physical wounds and injuries
- ethics of human remains
- promoting the disciplines of forensic archaeology, anthropology and bioarchaeology
- global perspectives in forensic anthropology and archaeology (legislation, methods, human rights investigations).
- Police forces in England and Wales
- Forensic science providers
- Local governments
- Archaeological companies
Articles In Journals
- Márquez-Grant N & Errickson D (2021) The legislation, search, recovery, identification and repatriation of conflict casualties worldwide: Introducing the WWI and WWII Special Issue, Forensic Science International, Available online 30 January 2021 Article No. 110716.
- Herrasti L, Márquez-Grant N & Etxeberria F (2021) Spanish Civil War: the recovery and identification of combatants, Forensic Science International, Available online 28 January 2021,Available online 28 January 202 Article No. 110706.
- Olivé-Busom J, López-Costas O, Quer-Agustí M, Márquez-Grant N & Kirchner H (2021) Evidence of otitis media and mastoiditis in a Medieval Islamic skeleton from Spain and possible implications for ancient surgical treatment of the condition, International Journal of Paleopathology, 32 (March) 17-22.
- Giles SB, Harrison K, Errickson D & Márquez-Grant N (2020) The effect of seasonality on the application of accumulated degree-days to estimate the early post-mortem interval, Forensic Science International, 315 (October) Article No. 110419.
- Osipov B, Alaica AK, Pickard C, Garcia-Donas JG, Márquez-Grant N & Kranioti EF (2020) The effect of diet and sociopolitical change on physiological stress and behavior in late Roman-early Byzantine (300-700 AD) and Islamic (902-1235 AD) populations from Ibiza, Spain,, American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 172 (2) 189-213.
- Stokes S, Marquez-Grant N & Greenwood C (2020) Establishing a minimum PMI for bone sun bleaching in a UK environment with a controlled desert simulated comparison, International Journal of Legal Medicine, 134 (6) 2297-2306.
- Mata P, Márquez-Grant N, Villoria Rojas C, Muñoz A, Pérez Guzmán I & Benito M (2020) Through fire and flames: post-burning survival and detection of dismemberment-related toolmarks in cremated cadavers, International Journal of Legal Medicine, Available online 21st October 2020.
- Marquez-Grant N (2020) Detection of early postmortem changes in burnt bones through histotaphonomical analysis, American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 171 (69, Prog: 89th Ann Mtg - Am Assoc of Physical Anthropologists) 294-295.
- Molina A, Bravo M, Fonseca GM, Márquez-Grant N & Martín-de-las-Heras S (2020) Dental age estimation based on pulp chamber/crown volume ratio measured on CBCT images in a Spanish population, International Journal of Legal Medicine, Available online 17 July 2020 (1).
- D’Arcy G, Márquez-Grant N & Lane DW (2020) Baggage scanners and their use as an imaging resource in mass fatality incidents, International Journal of Legal Medicine, 134 (4) 1419-1429.
- Marquez-Grant N (2020) What happened to the body of Julia Pastrana (1834-1860)? addressing ethical issues and human remains, Forensic Science International: Reports, 2 (December) Article No. 100103.
- Cummaudo M, Raffone C, Cappella A, Márquez-Grant N & Cattaneo C (2020) Histomorphometric analysis of the variability of the human skeleton: forensic implications, Legal Medicine, 45 (July) Article No. 101711.
- McGivern H, Greenwood C, Marquez-Grant N, Kranioto EF, Xhemali B & Zioupos P (2020) Age-related trends in the trabecular micro-architecture of the medial clavicle: is it of use in forensic science?, Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 7 Article No. 467. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.11673606.v1
- Cummaudo M, Cappella A, Giacomini F, Raffone C, Màrquez-Grant N & Cattaneo C (2019) Histomorphometric analysis of osteocyte lacunae in human and pig: exploring its potential for species discrimination, International Journal of Legal Medicine, 133 (3) 711-718.
- Carew RM ,Viner MD, Conlogue G, Márquez-Grant N & Beckett S (2019) Accuracy of computed radiography in osteometry: a comparison of digital imaging techniques and the effect of magnification, Journal of Forensic Radiology and Imaging, 19 (December) Article No. 100348.
- Corrieria B & Márquez-Grant N (2019) Using nutrient foramina to differentiate human from non-human long bone fragments in bioarchaeology and forensic anthropology, HOMO, 70 (4) 255-268.
- Doyle E, Márquez-Grant N, Field L, Holmes T, Arthurs OJ, van Rijn RR, Hackman L, Kasper K, Lewis J, Loomis P, Elliott D, Kroll J, Viner M, Blau S, Brough A, Martín de las Heras S & Garamendi PM (2019) Guidelines for best practice: imaging for age estimation in the living, Journal of Forensic Radiology and Imaging, 16 (March) 38-49.
- Marquez-Grant N, Wessling R, Öfele A & Moore V (2019) Searching for the missing soldier: identifying casualties from the First World War, Mètode Science Studies Journal, 2019 (10).
- Cummaudo M, Cappella A, Biraghi M, Raffone C, Màrquez-Grant N & Cattaneo C (2018) Histomorphological analysis of the variability of the human skeleton: forensic implications, International Journal of Legal Medicine, 132 (5) 1-11.
- Dury G, Lythe A, Marquez-Grant N, Garcia-Rubio A, Graziani G, Mari J, Ziriax M & Schulting R (2018) The Islamic cemetery at 33 Bartomeu Vicent Ramon, Ibiza: investigating diet and mobility through light stable isotopes in bone collagen and tooth enamel, Archaeological and Anthropological Sciences, 11 (8) 3913-3930.
- Johnson V, Beckett S & Marquez-Grant N (2017) Differentiating human versus non-human bone by exploring the nutrient foramen: implications for forensic anthropology, International Journal of Legal Medicine, 131 (6) 1757-1763.
- Macoveciuc I, Marquez-Grant N, Horsfall I & Zioupos P (2017) Sharp and blunt force trauma concealment by thermal alteration in homicides: an in-vitro experiment for methodology and protocol development in forensic anthropological analysis of burnt bones, Forensic Science International, 275 260-271.
- Pickard C, Girdwood LK, Kranioti E, Márquez-Grant N, Richards MP & Fuller BT (2017) Isotopic evidence for dietary diversity at the mediaeval Islamic necropolis of Can Fonoll (10th to 13th centuries CE), Ibiza, Spain, Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports, 13 (June) 1-10.
- Muñoz A, Maestro N, Benito M, Sánchez JA, Márquez-Grant N, Trejo D & Rios L (2017) Sex and age at death estimation from the sternal end of the fourth rib. Does Íşcan's method really work?, Legal Medicine (US), 31 (December 2017).
- Cummaudo M, Cappella A, Giacomini F, Marquez-Grant N & Cattaneo C (2017) Histomorphometric analysis of bone lacunae in human and pig: Can it be useful for species discrimination?, Revue de Médecine Légale, 8 (4).
- Serrulla F, Herrasti L, Navarro C, Cascallana JL, Bermejo AM, Márquez-Grant N & Etxeberría F (2016) Preserved brains from the Spanish Civil War mass grave (1936) at La Pedraja1, Burgos, Spain, Science and Justice, 56 (6) 453-463.
- Caccia G, Magli F, Tagi V, Porta D, Cummaudo M, Márquez-Grant N & Cattaneo C. (2016) Histological determination of the human origin from dry bone: a cautionary note for subadults, International Journal of Legal Medicine, 130 (1) 299-307.
- Corrieri B & Marquez-Grant N (2015) What do bones tell us? The study of human skeletons from the perspective of forensic anthropology, Science Progress, 98 (4) 391-402.
- Marquez-Grant N (2015) An overview of age estimation in forensic anthropology: perspectives and practical considerations, Annals of Human Biology, 42 (4) 308-322.
- Young A, Márquez-Grant N, Stillman R, Smith M & Korstjens A. (2015) An Investigation of Red Fox (Vulpes vulpes) and Eurasian Badger (Meles meles) Scavenging, Scattering, and Removal of Deer Remains: Forensic Implications and Applications, Journal of Forensic Sciences, 60 (S1) S39-S55.
- Rissech C, Márquez-Grant N & Turbón D (2013) Collation of European formulae for age estimation of sub-adult skeletal remains: recommendations for forensic anthropology and osteoarchaeology., Journal of Forensic Sciences, 58 (S1) S163-S168.
- Nehlich O, Fuller B, Márquez-Grant N & Richards MP (2012) Investigation of diachronic dietary patterns on the islands of Ibiza and Formentera, Spain: evidence from sulphur stable isotope ratio analysis., American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 149 (1) 115-124.
- Pollard AM, Ditchfield P, McCullagh JSO, Allen TG, Gibson M, Boston C, Clough S, Márquez-Grant N & Nicholson RA (2011) "These boots were made for walking": the isotopic analysis of a C4 Roman inhumation from Gravesend, Kent, UK., American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 146 (3) 446-456.
- Marquez-Grant N (2011) Las condiciones de vida en época púnica en Ibiza a través de los restos humanos., Mainake, XXXII (2010) 159-203.
- Fuller B, Márquez-Grant N & Richards MP (2010) Investigation of diachronic dietary patterns on the islands of Ibiza and Formentera, Spain: evidence from carbon and nitrogen stable isotope ratio analysis., American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 143 (4) 512-522.
- Fuller B, Márquez-Grant N & Richards M (2010) Investigation of diachronic dietary patterns on the islands of Ibiza and formentera, Spain: Evidence from carbon and nitrogen stable isotope ratio analysis, American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 143 (4) 512-522.
- Márquez-Grant N & Roberts J Redefining forensic anthropology in the 21st century and its role in mass fatality investigations, European Journal of Anatomy.
- Fortuna M, Corrales L, Robinso A, Enriquez R & Márquez-Grant N Cuerpos no identificados en el contexto mexicano (Unidentified bodies in the Mexican context), Forensic Anthropology, Accepted for publication.
- Vachirawongsakorn V, Marquez-Grant N, Painter J, Beckett S & Greenwood C (2018) Taphonomic processes of chop marks in terrestrial and buried environments: A micro-CT and stereo-microscopic study [poster]. In: Taphos-Nomos 2018, School of Forensic and Applied Sciences, University of Central Lancashire, Preston, 2-4 November 2018.
- McGivern H, Greenwood C, Marquez-Grant N & Zioupos P (2018) Getting to the bare bones of the age –related changes to the mechanical and structural properties of the clavicle. In: Bone Research Society (BRS) Annual Meeting, Stripe Building, King Alfred Campus, University of Winchester, Winchester, 27-29 June 2018.
- Márquez-Grant N, García-Rubio A & Harrison K (2014) El valor de la arqueologia y la antropologia forense en las operaciones policiales de busqueda de personas desparecidas (The value of archaeology and forensic anthropology in police operations on searching for missing persons). In: VI REUNIóN CIENTíFICA DE LA ASOCIACIóN ESPAñOLA DE ANTROPOLOGíA Y ODONTOLOGíA FORENSE : 6th Scientific Meeting of Spanish Association of Forensic Anthropology and Odontology, Madrid, 10-11 October 2014.
- Kyriakou XP, Márquez-Grant N, Langstaff H, Samuels C, Pacelli CS, Castro J, Roig J & Kranioti EF (2012) The human remains from the Mediaeval Islamic cemetery of Can Fonoll, Ibiza, Spain: preliminary results.. In: Twelfth Annual Conference of the British Association of Biological Anthropology and Osteoarchaeology, Cambridge, 17 September 2010.
- Squires K, Errickson D, Marquez-Grant N (eds), (2020) Ethical approaches to human remains : a global challenge in bioarchaeology and forensic anthropology, New York, NY: Springer.
- Marquez-Grant N & Johnson V. (2016) Forensic Anthropology. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Marquez-Grant N, Groen W J M, Janaway, R C (eds), (2015) Forensic Archaeology: A Global Perspective, Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Marquez-Grant N, Fibiger L (eds), (2013) The Routledge Handbook of Archaeological Human Remains and Legislation: An International Guide to Laws and Practice in the Excavation and Treatment of Human Remains., London: Routledge, ed. Paperback.
- Roberts J, Marquez-Grant N (eds), (2012) Forensic Ecology Handbook: From Crime Scene to Court, Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Roberts J & Marquez-Grant N (2012) Forensic Anthropology. In: Forensic Ecology Handbook: From Crime Scene to Court. Marquez-Grant N, Roberts J (ed.), Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell, p. 49-65.
- Marquez-Grant N, Litherland S & Roberts J (2012) Forensic Archaeology in Europe and the Role of the Forensic Archaeologist in the UK. In: A Companion to Forensic Anthropology. Dirkmaat D (ed.), Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell, p. 596-626.
- Litherland S, Márquez-Grant N & Roberts J (2012) Forensic Archaeology. In: Forensic Ecology Handbook: From Crime Scene to Court. Marquez-Grant N, Roberts J (ed.), Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell, p. 23-45.
- Marquez-Grant N, Fibiger L (eds), (2011) The Routledge Handbook of Archaeological Human Remains and Legislation: An International Guide to Laws and Practice in the Excavation and Treatment of Human Remains, London: Routledge.
- Márquez-Grant N, Rissech C, López-Costas O, Alemán I & Caro Dobón L (2011) Spain/España. In: The Routledge Handbook of Archaeological Remains and Legislation: An International Guide to Laws and Practice in the Excavation and Treatment of Human Remains.. Marquez-Grant N, Fibiger L (ed.), London: Routledge, p. 423-440.
- Marquez-Grant N (2010) The Human Remains from the Churches of São João and São Vicente, Bragança (Portugal). Palma de Mallorca: Vessants Arqueologia i Cultura.
- Simmonds A, Marquez-Grant N & Loe L (2008) Life and Death in a Roman City: Excavation of a Roman Cemetery with a Mass Grave at 118-120 London Road, Gloucester.. Oxford: Oxford Archaeology.