Contact Dr Nazmiye Ozkan
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754296
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
- Electric Power Machines
- Energy and the Environment
- Environmental Impacts
- Natural capital
- Renewable Energy
After completing a BSc (Hons) in Urban and Regional Planning (Istanbul Technical University, Turkey) and a MSc in Regional Planning (Istanbul Technical University, Turkey), Dr Ozkan undertook her PhD research in Regional Planning with specialisation on Environmental Economics (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), U.S.A.).
She then worked as a post doctoral researcher at Regional Economics Applications Laboratory at UIUC. Between 2005 and 2014, she worked as a Senior Research Fellow at Policy Studies Institute at University of Westminster where she led a number of research projects.
She is a member of British Institute of Energy Economics.
Nazmiye's main research interests include energy systems analysis; integration of environment, economy and energy models; social construction of smart grids across space and time as well as its implications for policy. With a background in urban and regional planning, she is interested in understanding the interactions between social, economic, environmental and technological systems, from household up to network and city level.
Nazmiye is the Course Tutor for MSc Economics for Natural Resource and Environmental Management (ENREM).
Nazmiye worked on various projects funded by the UK Government, UK research councils and the EU FP7 programmes. She acted as a peer reviewer for the assessment of various energy models for the EU, New Zealand Government and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. She was on secondment to DECC in 2011 to work on the quantitative analysis of different scenarios for The Carbon Plan: Delivering our Low Carbon Future.
She was awarded a UK Energy Research Centre-funded grant on ‘Scenarios for the development of smart grids in the UK. She led another project on consumer perceptions and preferences towards smart homes in a comparative study across the UK, Germany and Italy, funded by E.ON International Research Initiative.
- Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC)
- Department for Transport (DfT)
- Committee on Climate Change
- European Commission
- UK Energy Research Centre
- E.ON SE
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Articles In Journals
- Connor PM, Axon CJ, Xenias D & Balta-Ozkan N (2018) Sources of risk and uncertainty in UK smart grid deployment: An expert stakeholder analysis, Energy, 161 (October) 1-9.
- Chowdhury JI, Hu Y, Haltas I, Balta-Ozkan N, Matthew G & Varga L (2018) Reducing industrial energy demand in the UK: A review of energy efficiency technologies and energy saving potential in selected sectors, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 94 (October) 1153-1178.
- Chowdhury JI, Nguyen BK, Thornhill D, Hu Y, Soulatiantork P, Balta-Ozkan N & Varga L (2018) Fuzzy nonlinear dynamic evaporator model in supercritical organic Rankine cycle waste heat recovery systems, Energies, 11 (4) Article No. 901.
- Faerber LA, Balta-Ozkan N & Connor PM (2018) Innovative network pricing to support the transition to a smart grid in a low-carbon economy, Energy Policy, 116 210-219.
- Balta-Ozkan N & Le Gallo J (2018) Spatial variation in energy attitudes and perceptions: evidence from Europe, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 81 (Part 2, January) 2160-2180.
- Beitzen-Heineke EF, Balta-Ozkan N & Reefke H (2017) The prospects of zero-packaging grocery stores to improve the social and environmental impacts of the food supply chain, Journal of Cleaner Production, 140 (Part 3) 1528-1541.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Watson T & Mocca E (2015) Spatially uneven development and low carbon transitions: Insights from urban and regional planning, Energy Policy, 85 500-510.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Yildirim J & Connor P (2015) Regional distribution of photovoltaic deployment in the UK and its determinants: A spatial econometric approach, Energy Economics, 51 (September) 417-429.
- Xenias D, Axon CJ, Whitmarsh L, Connor PM, Balta-Ozkan N & Spence A (2015) UK smart grid development: An expert assessment of the benefits, pitfalls and functions, Renewable Energy, 81 89-102.
- Connor PM, Baker PE, Xenias D, Balta-Ozkan N, Axon CJ & Cipcigan L (2014) Policy and regulation for smart grids in the United Kingdom, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 40 269-286.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Boteler B & Amerighi O (2014) European smart home market development: Public views on technical and economic aspects across the United Kingdom, Germany and Italy, Energy Research and Social Science, 3 65-77.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Amerighi O & Boteler B (2014) A comparison of consumer perceptions towards smart homes in the UK, Germany and Italy: reflections for policy and future research, Technology Analysis and Strategic Management, 26 (10) 1176-1195.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Davidson R, Bicket M & Whitmarsh L (2013) The development of smart homes market in the UK, Energy, 60 361-372.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Davidson R, Bicket M & Whitmarsh L (2013) Social barriers to the adoption of smart homes, Energy Policy, 63 363-374.
- Balta-Ozkan N & Baldwin E (2013) Spatial development of hydrogen economy in a low-carbon UK energy system, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 38 (3) 1209-1224.
- Strachan N, Balta-Ozkan N, Joffe D, McGeevor K & Hughes N (2009) Soft-linking energy systems and GIS models to investigate spatial hydrogen infrastructure development in a low-carbon UK energy system, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 34 (2) 642-657.
- Donaghy KP, Balta-Ozkan N & Hewings GJD (2007) Modeling unexpected events in temporally disaggregated econometric input output models of regional economies, Economic Systems Research, 19 (2) 125-145.
- Hu Y, Balta-ozkan N, Varga L & Chowdhury JI (2018) Contemporary enlightenment on energy efficiency in industry. In: Energy Systems Conference 2018, London, 19-20 June 2018.
- Chowdhury JI, Balta-Ozkan N, Hu Y & Varga L (2018) Factors affecting the adoption of energy efficiency in heat intensive industries: a case study of UK commercial bakeries. In: Energy Systems Conference 2018, London, 19-20 June 2018.
- Chowdhury JI, Balta-Ozkan N, Goglio P, Hu Y, Varga L & McCabe L (2018) Potentials of load-shifting with renewable energy storage: An environmental and economic assessment for the UK. In: 36th USAEE/IAEE North America Conference, "Evolving Energy Realities: Adapting to What's Next", Washington, DC, 23-26 September 2018.
- Balta-Ozkan N & Strachan N (2010) Hydrogen system modelling. In: Hydrogen Energy: Economic and Social Challenges. Ekins, Paul (ed.), London, p. 125-151.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Donaghy KP & Wymer CR (2007) Effects of Trade on Emissions in an Enlarged European Union: Some Comparative Dynamics Analyses with an Empirically Based Endogenous Growth Model. In: Globalization and Regional Economic Modeling, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, p. 353-392.