Areas of expertise
- Electric Power Machines
- Energy and the Environment
- Energy Asset Management
- Energy Policy & Regulation
- Environmental Impacts
- Renewable Energy
Dr Ozkan is an interdisciplinary energy economist and the head of Centre for Energy Systems and Strategy
She then worked as a post doctoral researcher at Regional Economics Applications Laboratory at UIUC. Between 2005 and 2014, she worked as a Senior Research Fellow at Policy Studies Institute at University of Westminster where she led a number of research projects.
She is a member of British Institute of Energy Economics.
I'm interested in supervising PhD students with a research interest in:
- Modelling and analysis of energy transitions at different scales (from households to local to national)
- Development of socio-technical frameworks to inform energy planning and policy
- Development of social and spatial frameworks to study energy transitions and innovation
- Economics of and distributional impacts of energy transition (ie energy justice)
Nazmiye's main research interests include energy systems analysis; integration of environment, economy and energy models; social construction of smart grids across space and time as well as its implications for policy. With a background in urban and regional planning, she is interested in understanding the interactions between social, economic, environmental and technological systems, from household up to network and city level.
Nazmiye worked on various projects funded by the UK Government, UK research councils and the EU FP7 programmes. She acted as a peer reviewer for the assessment of various energy models for the EU, New Zealand Government and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. She was on secondment to DECC in 2011 to work on the quantitative analysis of different scenarios for The Carbon Plan: Delivering our Low Carbon Future.
Theory of Change Observatory on Disaster Resilience (TOCO_DR) Belmont Forum (Co-I, €1.1M), 2020-2023.
South Africa energy infrastructure planning for rural urbanisation based on optimal peer-to-peer energy sharing (Royal Academy of Engineering, 2020-2022, CoI, £27,200).
Advanced grid services provided by optimised EV community and fleet charging (Innovate UK, 2020-2021, CoI, £60,000)
Peer-to-peer energy trading in a community microgrid (Higher Education Innovation Fund, 2019-2020)
‘Just’ Energy Transitions within SEMLEP Region (JET-SEMLEP) (Higher Education Innovation Fund, 2019-2021)
Sustainable energy transitions in South Africa: socio-economic aspects (Global Challenges Research Fund, 2019-2020, PI: £19,921)
Solving Water Issues for Concentrated Solar Thermal Power Plants (SOLWATT), European Commission Horizon 2020 Programme (Co-I: €10.8M), 2018-2022.
Harmonising and UPgrading GREENhouse gas removal consequential Life Cycle Assessment (UP-green-LCA), UK Natural Environment Research Council (NE/P019668/1, Co-I: £300K), 2017-2020.
New Methods and Data for Energy Research (NEMDER), UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EP/R002320/1, PI: £80K), 2017-2018.
Optimising Energy Management in Industry (OPTEMIN), UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EP/P004636/1, Co-I: £2M), 2016-2021.
Smarter Regulation of Waste in Europe, Scottish Environment Protection Agency (PI: £33K), 2016.
Consumer preferences for smart homes: a comparative study between the United Kingdom, Germany and Italy, E.ON International Research Initiative 2012, (PI: €200K), 2012-2013.
Scenarios for the development of smart grids in the UK, UK Energy Research Centre/Natural Environment Research Council (NE/J005975/1, PI: £625K), 2011-2014.
Analysing Transition planning and Systemic Energy Planning Tools for the implementation of the Energy Technology Information System (ATEsT), European Commission Framework Prog., (Co-I: €895K), 2009- 2012.
Carbon Calculations over the Life Cycle of
Industrial Activities, UK Engineering Physical Sciences Research Council (EP/F003501/1,
Co-I: £1.2M), 2008-2010.
Ali Alderete Peralta - Spatio-Temporal Modelling of Diffusion of Electric Vehicles and Solar Photovoltaic Panels: An Integrated Agent-Based and Artificial Neural Networks Model
Laura Antonia Faerber - Innovation in energy utilities and role of organisational structure
Zahrau Kasim Yahaya - Women's access to clean energy in rural Nigeria
Zara Abba - Investment in energy sector using complexity science approach
Auwal Dodo - Hierarchical energy management decision-making
- Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC)
- Department for Transport (DfT)
- Committee on Climate Change
- European Commission
- UK Energy Research Centre
- E.ON SE
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- East West Railway Company
Articles In Journals
- Balta-Ozkan N, Yildirim J, Connor PM, Truckell I & Hart P (2021) Energy transition at local level: analyzing the role of peer effects and socio-economic factors on UK solar photovoltaic deployment, Energy Policy, 148 Part B (January) Article No. 112004. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.13160030
- Gil GO, Chowdhury JI, Balta-Ozkan N, Hu Y, Varga L & Hart P (2021) Optimising renewable energy integration in new housing developments with low carbon technologies, Renewable Energy, Available online 14 January 2021. Dataset/s: https://doi.org/10.17862/cranfield.rd.13550156.v1
- Markusson N, Balta-Ozkan N, Chilvers J, Healey P, Reiner D & McLaren D (2020) Social science sequestered, Frontiers in Climate, 2 Article No. 2.
- Mirzania P, Ford A & Ozkan N (2020) An innovative viable model for community-owned solar PV projects without FIT: comprehensive techno-economic assessment, Energy Policy, 146 (November) Article No. 111727.
- Mirzania P, Balta-Ozkan N & Marais L (2020) One technology, two pathways? Strategic Niche Management and the diverging diffusion of concentrated solar power in South Africa and the United States, Energy Research and Social Science, 69 (November) Article No. 101729.
- Chowdhury JI, Balta-Ozkan N, Goglio P, Hu Y, Varga L & McCabe L (2020) Techno-environmental analysis of battery storage for grid level energy services, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 131 (October) Article No. 110018.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Watson T, Connor PM, Axon CJ, Whitmarsh L, Spence A & Baker PE (2020) FAR out? An examination of converging, diverging and intersecting smart grid futures in the United Kingdom, Energy Research and Social Science, 70 (December) Article No. 101675.
- Chowdhury JI, Thornhill D, Soulatiantork P, Hu Y, Balta-Ozkan N, Varga L & Nguyen BK (2019) Control of supercritical organic Rankine cycle based waste heat recovery system using conventional and fuzzy self-tuned PID controllers, International Journal of Control, Automation and Systems, 17 (11) 2969-2981.
- Hu Y, Tan CK, Niska J, Chowdhury JI, Balta-Ozkand N, Varga L, Roach PA & Wang C (2019) Modelling and simulation of steel reheating processes under oxy-fuel combustion conditions – Technical and environmental perspectives, Energy, 185 (October) 730-743.
- Goglio P, Williams AG, Balta-Ozkan N, Harris NRP, Williamson P, Huisingh D, Zhang Z & Tavoni M (2019) Advances and challenges of life cycle assessment (LCA) of greenhouse gas removal technologies to fight climate changes, Journal of Cleaner Production, Available online 14 October 2019, Article No. 118896.
- Faerber LA, Balta-Ozkan N & Connor PM (2018) Innovative network pricing to support the transition to a smart grid in a low-carbon economy, Energy Policy, 116 (May) 210-219.
- Chowdhury JI, Hu Y, Haltas I, Balta-Ozkan N, Matthew G & Varga L (2018) Reducing industrial energy demand in the UK: A review of energy efficiency technologies and energy saving potential in selected sectors, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 94 (October) 1153-1178.
- Balta-Ozkan N & Le Gallo J (2018) Spatial variation in energy attitudes and perceptions: evidence from Europe, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 81 (Part 2, January) 2160-2180.
- Chowdhury JI, Nguyen BK, Thornhill D, Hu Y, Soulatiantork P, Balta-Ozkan N & Varga L (2018) Fuzzy nonlinear dynamic evaporator model in supercritical organic Rankine cycle waste heat recovery systems, Energies, 11 (4) Article No. 901.
- Connor PM, Axon CJ, Xenias D & Balta-Ozkan N (2018) Sources of risk and uncertainty in UK smart grid deployment: An expert stakeholder analysis, Energy, 161 (October) 1-9.
- Beitzen-Heineke EF, Balta-Ozkan N & Reefke H (2017) The prospects of zero-packaging grocery stores to improve the social and environmental impacts of the food supply chain, Journal of Cleaner Production, 140 (Part 3) 1528-1541.
- Xenias D, Axon CJ, Whitmarsh L, Connor PM, Balta-Ozkan N & Spence A (2015) UK smart grid development: An expert assessment of the benefits, pitfalls and functions, Renewable Energy, 81 (September) 89-102.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Watson T & Mocca E (2015) Spatially uneven development and low carbon transitions: Insights from urban and regional planning, Energy Policy, 85 (October) 500-510.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Yildirim J & Connor P (2015) Regional distribution of photovoltaic deployment in the UK and its determinants: A spatial econometric approach, Energy Economics, 51 (September) 417-429.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Amerighi O & Boteler B (2014) A comparison of consumer perceptions towards smart homes in the UK, Germany and Italy: reflections for policy and future research, Technology Analysis and Strategic Management, 26 (10) 1176-1195.
- Connor PM, Baker PE, Xenias D, Balta-Ozkan N, Axon CJ & Cipcigan L (2014) Policy and regulation for smart grids in the United Kingdom, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 40 269-286.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Boteler B & Amerighi O (2014) European smart home market development: Public views on technical and economic aspects across the United Kingdom, Germany and Italy, Energy Research and Social Science, 3 65-77.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Davidson R, Bicket M & Whitmarsh L (2013) The development of smart homes market in the UK, Energy, 60 361-372.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Davidson R, Bicket M & Whitmarsh L (2013) Social barriers to the adoption of smart homes, Energy Policy, 63 363-374.
- Balta-Ozkan N & Baldwin E (2013) Spatial development of hydrogen economy in a low-carbon UK energy system, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 38 (3) 1209-1224.
- Strachan N, Balta-Ozkan N, Joffe D, McGeevor K & Hughes N (2009) Soft-linking energy systems and GIS models to investigate spatial hydrogen infrastructure development in a low-carbon UK energy system, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 34 (2) 642-657.
- Donaghy KP, Balta-Ozkan N & Hewings GJD (2007) Modeling unexpected events in temporally disaggregated econometric input output models of regional economies, Economic Systems Research, 19 (2) 125-145.
- Chowdhury JI, Asfand F, Hu Y, Balta-ozkan N, Varga L & Patchigolla K. (2019) Waste heat recovery potential from industrial bakery ovens using thermodynamic power cycles. In: 32nd International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact of Energy Systems (ECOS), Wroclaw, 23-28 June 2019.
- Hu Y, Chowdhury JI, Katsaros G, Tan CK, Balta-Ozkan N, Varga L, Tassou S & Wang C (2019) Feasibility study of biomass gasification integrated with reheating furnaces in steelmaking process. In: 3rd Joint International Conference on Energy, Ecology and Environment and Electrical Intelligent Vehicles (ICEEE 2019/ICEIV 2019), Stavanger, 23-27 July 2019.
- Mirzania P, Balta-Ozkan N & Ford A (2019) For Post-Subsidy Solar PV Uptake in the UK: Techno-Economic Assessment of Integrating Solar PV and Battery Storage. In: International Conference on Sustainable Materials and Energy Technologies (ICSMET 2019), Coventry, 12-13 September 2019.
- Makanga J, Mirzania P & Balta-Ozkan N (2019) Concentrated Solar Power in South Africa: A Techno-Economic Assessment. In: International Conference on Sustainable Materials and Energy Technologies (ICSMET 2019), Coventry, 12-13 September 2019.
- Wang P, Wang C, Hu Y, Wang W, Li J, Varga L, Chowdhury JI & Balta-Ozkan N (2018) Optimal scheduling of multi-carrier energy networks considering liquid air energy storage. In: 2018 IEEE 2nd Conference on Energy Internet and Energy System Integration (EI2), Beijing, 20-22 October 2018.
- Hu Y, Tan CK, Niska J, Chowdhury JI, Balta-ozkan N, Varga L, Roach PA & Wang C (2018) Thermal performance analysis of flameless oxy-fuel combustion trials on a reheating furnace using zone method-based models. In: 2018 International Conference on Energy, Ecology and Environment (ICEEE 2018), Melbourne, 21-25 November 2018.
- Chowdhury JI, Balta-Ozkan N, Goglio P, Hu Y, Varga L & McCabe L (2018) Potentials of load-shifting with renewable energy storage: An environmental and economic assessment for the UK. In: 36th USAEE/IAEE North America Conference, "Evolving Energy Realities: Adapting to What's Next", Washington, DC, 23-26 September 2018.
- Chowdhury JI, Balta-Ozkan N, Hu Y & Varga L (2018) Factors affecting the adoption of energy efficiency in heat intensive industries: a case study of UK commercial bakeries. In: Energy Systems Conference 2018, London, 19-20 June 2018.
- Hu Y, Balta-ozkan N, Varga L & Chowdhury JI (2018) Contemporary enlightenment on energy efficiency in industry. In: Energy Systems Conference 2018, London, 19-20 June 2018.
- Balta-Ozkan N & Strachan N (2010) Hydrogen system modelling. In: Hydrogen Energy: Economic and Social Challenges. Ekins, Paul (ed.), London, p. 125-151.
- Balta-Ozkan N, Donaghy KP & Wymer CR (2007) Effects of Trade on Emissions in an Enlarged European Union: Some Comparative Dynamics Analyses with an Empirically Based Endogenous Growth Model. In: Globalization and Regional Economic Modeling, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, p. 353-392.