Contact Dr Natalie Clewley
- Tel: +44 (0) 1793 785685
- Email: email@example.com
Natalie received her PhD in Information Systems Research from Brunel University London in 2011, looking at how data mining techniques can be used to provide new insights to how humans learn in online environments. She subsequently worked as a Research Fellow in Cyber Security in the Defence and Cyber Security Research Group in the Department of Computer Science at Brunel University London, researching how the application of artificial intelligence, machine learning and information fusion techniques can be used to enhance situational awareness and provide better decision support to human users in cyberspace.
She joined Cranfield University in June 2017 as a Lecturer in the Human Aspects of Cyber and continued her research in human-machine decision making, successfully attaining EPSRC and NCSC research grants. In the last few years, she has moved into the area of Complex Systems, investigating how artificial intelligence and human decision making is influenced by and viably operates in dynamic and changing environments in the Defence and Security, Public Health and Organisational Resilience domains.
Natalie’s research interests are at the human-machine
interface and are focused on how machine technologies, like Artificial
Intelligence or Data Mining, and human thinking tools, like Systems Thinking, influence the way humans and machines work
together to make decisions in highly complex environments. Her current PhD
students are researching in related areas.
Her current and past research grants include:
UKPRP GroundsWell (CI): Community-engaged and Data-informed Systems Transformation of Urban Green and Blue Space for Population Health
NCSC (PI): Evidence-Based Principles for Secure Artificial Intelligence
EPSRC Human-like Computing (PI): Copacetic Smartening of Small Data for HLC (EP/R030987/1)
EPSRC Distributed Ledger Technologies (CI): Smart Money - Precision Data Management for Distributed Ledger enabled Central Bank issued Digital Currencies (EP/P032001/1)
Her teaching activities are focussed around the practical application of Systems Thinking methods to real world problems. She is the Course Director for the new Systems Thinking Practitioner Apprenticeship and MSc (Open Cohort). She leads the following modules on the programme:
- Introduction to Systems Methods
- Formal Representation of Systems
- Systems Practice
Articles In Journals
- Hunter RF, Rodgers SE & Hilton J et al. (2022) GroundsWell: Community-engaged and data-informed systems transformation of Urban Green and Blue Space for population health – a new initiative, Wellcome Open Research, 7 (237).
- Ioannou G, Louvieris P & Clewley N (2019) A Markov multi-phase transferable belief model for cyber situational awareness, IEEE Access, 7 39305-39320.
- Louvieris P, Clewley N & Liu X (2012) Effects-based feature identification for network intrusion detection, Neurocomputing, 121 (December) 265-273.
- Clewley N, Chen S & Liu X (2011) Mining learning preferences in web-based instruction: Holists vs. Serialists, Journal of Educational Technology and Society, 14 (4) 266-277.
- Clewley N, Chen S & Liu X (2010) Cognitive styles and search engine preferences: Field dependence/independence vs holism/serialism, Journal of Documentation, 66 (4) 585-603.
- Clewley N, Chen S & Liu X (2009) Evaluation of the credibility of internet shopping in the UK, Online Information Review, 33 (4) 805-826.
- Clewley N, Forsyth T, Dodd L & Hilton J (2022) A framework for systems thinking practice. In: OR64: OR for a better world together: The Operational Research Society's Annual Conference, University of Warwick, 13-15 September 2022.
- Clewley N, Dodd L, Smy V, Witheridge A & Louvieris P (2019) Eliciting expert knowledge to inform training design. In: ECCE 2019 - European Conference on Cognitive Ergonomics, Ulster University, Belfast, 10-13 September 2019.
- Mepham K, Louvieris P, Ghinea G & Clewley N (2014) Dynamic cyber-incident response. In: 6th International Conference On Cyber Conflict (CyCon 2014), Tallinn, 3-6 June 2014.
- Lewis R, Louvieris P, Abbott P, Clewley N & Jones K (2014) Cybersecurity information sharing: A framework for information security management in UK SME supply chains. In: 22nd European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS) 2014: Digital Work, Digital Life, Tel Aviv, 9-11 June 2014.
- Ioannou G, Louvieris P, Clewley N & Powell G (2013) A Markov multi-phase transferable belief model: An application for predicting data exfiltration APTs. In: 16th International Conference on Information Fusion (FUSION), 2013, Istanbul, 9-12 July 2013.
- Clewley N, Chen S & Liu X (2009) Cognitive styles and web-based instruction: Field Dependent/Independent vs. Holist/Serialist. In: 2009 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, San Antonio, TX, 11-14 October 2009.