Contact Dr Natalia Falagan Sama
Areas of expertise
- Food Quality
- Food Safety
- Food waste
- Plants and microbes
Natalia Falagan graduated from the Technical University of Valencia (Spain) as
Agricultural Engineer. She then studied for an MSc in Advanced Techniques in
Agricultural and Food Research and Development at Technical University of
Cartagena (UPCT, Spain). She obtained her PhD in Food Engineering in 2015 form the
UPCT, conducting her research work in two centres of excellence: University of
California (Davis, USA) and Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique
(INRA, Bordeaux, France). She was awarded the PhD extraordinary award in 2015. During
this period, Dr Falagan gained extended experience in both controlled-atmosphere storage and modified
atmosphere packaging, analytical methods such as
physico-chemical and microbial analyses, sensory evaluations, spectrophotometry
analysis, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance and gas
and liquid chromatography (GC, HPLC and UPLC) measurements with special mention
to LC-MS/MS Q-TOF for the targeted and untargeted analysis of secondary
metabolites as well as vitamins and sugars in numerous matrices. Dr Falagan was then appointed
Research Fellow in 2016 by Cranfield University.
We are working on the project “Next
generation modified atmosphere materials to extend farm storage & reduce
waste”. We will focus on delivering gaseous conditions at the optimum time in
the packaging environment for prolonged storage life and improved management of
fresh produce through the supply chain.
Johnson Matthey, BBSRC, IUK
Articles In Journals
- Falagan N, Miclo T & Terry L (2020) Graduated controlled atmosphere: a novel approach to increase "Duke" blueberry storage life, Frontiers in Plant Science, 11 (March) Article No. 221. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.11876544
- Falagán N & Terry LA (2019) 1-Methylcyclopropene maintains postharvest quality in Norwegian apple fruit, Food Science and Technology International, Available online 26 December 2019.
- Serradilla MJ, Falagán N, Bohmer B, Terry LA & Alamar MC (2019) The role of ethylene and 1-MCP in early-season sweet cherry ‘Burlat’ storage life, Scientia Horticulturae, 258 (December) Article No. 108787.
- Falagán N & Terry LA (2018) Recent advances in controlled and modified atmosphere of fresh produce: Postharvest technologies to reduce food waste and maintain fresh produce quality, Johnson Matthey Technology Review, 62 (1) 107-117.
- Alamar MC, Falagán N, Aktas E & Terry LA (2018) Minimising food waste: a call for multidisciplinary research, Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 98 (1) 8-11.
- Silveira A, Falagán N, Aguayo E, Vilaró F & Escalona V (2017) Compositional changes on colored and light-yellow-fleshed potatoes subjected to two cooking processes Cambios en la composición de papas de pulpa coloreada y amarilla sujetas a dos procesos de cocción, CyTA - Journal of Food, 15 (2) 241-248.
- Falagán N, Artés F, Gómez P, Artés-Hernández F, Conejero W & Aguayo E (2016) Deficit irrigation strategies enhance health-promoting compounds through the intensification of specific enzymes in early peaches, Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 96 (5) 1803-1813.
- De la Rosa J, Conesa M, Domingo R, Aguayo E, Falagán N & Pérez-Pastor A (2016) Combined effects of deficit irrigation and crop level on early nectarine trees, Agricultural Water Management, 170 (May) 120-132.
- Falagàn N, Artes F, Gomez P, Artàes-Hernàandez F, Pàerez-Pastor A, de la Rosa J & Aguayo E (2016) Individual Phenolics and enzymatic changes in response to regulated deficit irrigation of extra-early nectarines, Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science, 141 (3) 222-232.
- Conesa M, Falagán N, de la Rosa J, Aguayo E, Domingo R & Pastor A (2016) Post-veraison deficit irrigation regimes enhance berry coloration and health-promoting bioactive compounds in 'Crimson Seedless' table grapes, Agricultural Water Management, 163 9-18.
- Falagán N, Artés F & Aguayo E (2016) Natural additives to preserve quality and improve nutritional value of fresh-cut nectarine, Food Science and Technology International, 22 (5) 429-439.
- Falagán N, Artés F & Aguayo E (2015) Heat treatment as postharvest tool for improving quality in extra-early nectarines, Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 98 (4) 1469-1475.
- Falagán N, Artés F, Gómez P, Artés-Hernández F, Conejero W & Aguayo E (2015) Deficit irrigation strategies combined with controlled atmosphere preserve quality in early peaches, Food Science and Technology International, 21 (7) 547-556.
- Falagán N, Artés F, Artés-Hernández F, Gómez P, Pérez-Pastor A & Aguayo E (2015) Comparative study on postharvest performance of nectarines grown under regulated deficit irrigation, Postharvest Biology and Technology, 110 (December) 24-32.
- Segantini D, Falagán N, Leonel S, Modesto J, Takata W & Artés F (2015) Chemical quality parameters and bioactive compound content of Brazilian berries, Ciência e Tecnologia de Alimentos, 35 (3) 502-508.
- Falagán N, Artés F, Gómez P, Artés-Hernández F, Pérez-Pastor A, De La Rosa J & Aguayo E (2015) Combined effects of deficit irrigation and fresh-cut processing on quality and bioactive compounds of nectarines, Horticultural Science (Czech Republic), 42 (3) 125-131.
- Falagán N, Aguayo E, Gómez P, Artés-Hernández F, Conejero W, Otón M & Artés F (2015) Combining MAP, deficit irrigation and Antibrowning treatment for keeping quality of fresh-cut peaches. In: XI International Controlled and Modified Atmosphere Research Conference, Trani, 3-7 June 2013.
- Falagán N, Aguayo E, Artés-Hernández F, Artés F, Gómez P, Peña-Estévez M & Corbalán M (2013) Combining deficit irrigation strategies and controlled atmosphere to maintain bioactive compounds in nectarine. In: VII International Postharvest Symposium, Kuala Lumpur, 25-29 June 2012.
- Falagán N, Artés-Hernández F, Aguayo E, Artés F, PeñaEstévez M, Gómez P & Galindo A (2012) Vitamin C, antioxidant activity and phenolic compounds of fresh-cut pomegranates cultivated under deficit irrigation strategy. In: VII International Postharvest Symposium, Kuala Lumpur, 25-29 June 2012.
- Martínez-Hernández G, Formica A, Falagán N, Artés F, Artés-Hernández F, Gómez P & Navarro-Rico J (2012) Extending the shelf life of the new Bimi® Broccoli by controlled atmosphere storage. In: VII International Postharvest Symposium, Kuala Lumpur, 25-29 June 2012.
- Falagán N, Calero F & Aguayo E (2016) Peaches and nectarines: Properties, deficit irrigation strategies and postharvest management. In: Apricots and Peaches: Nutritional Properties, Post-Harvest Management and Potential Health Benefits, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., p. 25-72.
- Falagán N, Calero F & Aguayo E (2016) Peaches and nectarines: Properties, deficit irrigation strategies and postharvest management. In: Apricots and Peaches: Nutritional Properties, Post-Harvest Management and Potential Health Benefits, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., p. 25-72, ed. UK ed..