Contact Dr Natalia Falagan Sama
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x5533
- Email: Natalia.Falagan@cranfield.ac.uk
- Twitter: @natalia_falagan
- Google Scholar
Areas of expertise
- Food Quality
- Food Safety
Natalia graduated from the University of Valencia (Spain) as an Agricultural Engineer and then studied for an MSc in Advanced Techniques in Agricultural and Food Research and Development at University of Cartagena (UPCT, Spain). She obtained her PhD in Food Engineering in 2015 from UPCT, conducting her research in two centres of excellence: University of California (Davis, USA) and Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique (INRA, Bordeaux, France). She joined the Plant Science Laboratory at Cranfield in 2016 and is now Lecturer in Food Science and Technology.
Natalia is driven by the need to reduce food waste and improve food security; while maintaining the quality and safety of fresh produce across the supply chain. She investigates the underlying ripening and senescence mechanisms of fruit and vegetables and develops innovative strategies for postharvest management. Natalia has international experience in food production systems through collaboration with private companies and government funded research. She publishes her work in peer-reviewed journals focusing on postharvest biology, and sustainable technology and packaging.
Recent projects include: Next generation modified atmosphere materials to extend farm storage and reduce waste (BBSRC), Postharvest technology and improved agricultural practice to reduce avocado waste in Mexico (QR GCRF) and Rurban Revolution (Global Food Security’s Resilience of the UK Food System Programme, with support from BBSRC, ESRC, NERC and the Scottish Government).
Natalia teaches on the Food Systems and Management and Future Food Sustainability MSc programmes and is the module leader of Postharvest Technology. She is also a STEM ambassador, bringing science and technology to schools.
She is a Member of the Royal Society of Biology, Member of the Institute of Agricultural Engineers, Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and Member of the Scientific Advisory Committees in the Food Standards Agency. Natalia sits on the Cold-Chain working group for the Cool Coalition and the National Technical Advisory committee for the African Centre of Excellence for Sustainable Cooling and Cold Chain (ACES). In 2021, Natalia has won the 'Top 50 Women in Engineering: Engineering Heroes' award in 2021 and a medal awarded by the Royal Academy of Engineering (Spain) in 2022 for her work towards food loss and waste reduction.
World Bank Group
Orchard House Foods
Department of International Trade
Articles In Journals
- Grandsir C, Falagán N & Alamar MC (2023) Application of novel technologies to reach net‐zero greenhouse gas emissions in the fresh pasteurised milk supply chain: A review, International Journal of Dairy Technology, 76 (1) 38-50.
- Kourmpetli S, Falagán N, Hardman CA, Liu L, Mead B, Walsh L & Davies J (2022) Scaling-up urban agriculture for a healthy, sustainable and resilient food system: the postharvest benefits, challenges and key research gaps, International Journal of Postharvest Technology and Innovation, 8 (2-3) 145-157.
- Payen FT, Evans DL, Falagán N, Hardman CA, Kourmpetli S, Liu L, Marshall R, Mead BR & Davies JAC (2022) How much food can we grow in urban areas? Food production and crop yields of urban agriculture: a meta-analysis, Earth's Future, 10 (8) Article No. e2022EF002748.
- Evans DL, Falagán N, Hardman CA, Kourmpetli S, Liu L, Mead BR & Davies JAC (2022) Ecosystem service delivery by urban agriculture and green infrastructure – a systematic review, Ecosystem Services, 54 (April) Article No. 101405.
- Walsh LE, Mead BR, Hardman CA, Evans D, Liu L, Falagán N, Kourmpetli S & Davies J (2022) Potential of urban green spaces for supporting horticultural production: a national scale analysis, Environmental Research Letters, 17 (1) Article No. 014052.
- Mead BR, Davies JA, Falagán N, Kourmpetli S, Liu L & Hardman CA (2022) Urban agriculture in times of crisis: the role of home food growing in perceived food insecurity and well-being during the COVID-19 lockdown, Appetite, 169 (February) Article No. 105508.
- García-Pastor ME, Falagán N, Giné-Bordonaba J, Wójcik DA, Terry LA & Alamar MC (2021) Cultivar and tissue-specific changes of abscisic acid, its catabolites and individual sugars during postharvest handling of flat peaches (Prunus persica cv. platycarpa), Postharvest Biology and Technology, 181 (November) Article No. 111688.
- Mead BR, Davies JAC, Falagán N, Kourmpetli S, Liu L & Hardman CA (2021) Growing your own in times of crisis: the role of home food growing in perceived food insecurity and well-being during the early COVID-19 lockdown, Emerald Open Research, 3 Article No. 7. Dataset/s: 10.17605/OSF.IO/7EZJQ
- Anastasiadi M, Falagán N, Rossi S & Terry LA (2021) A comprehensive study of factors affecting postharvest disorder development in celery, Postharvest Biology and Technology, 172 (February) Article No. 111384. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12496946
- Mead BR, Christiansen P, Davies JAC, Falagán N, Kourmpetli S, Liu L, Walsh L & Hardman CA (2021) Is urban growing of fruit and vegetables associated with better diet quality and what mediates this relationship? evidence from a cross-sectional survey, Appetite, 163 (August) Article No. 105218.
- Mead BR, Davies EB, Davies J, Falagán N, Kourmpetli S, Liu L, Walsh L & Hardman CA (2021) A qualitative analysis of perceived opportunities and barriers to engaging in urban agriculture [Abstract], Appetite, 157 (February) Article No. 104878.
- Falagán N & Terry LA (2020) 1-Methylcyclopropene maintains postharvest quality in Norwegian apple fruit, Food Science and Technology International, 26 (5) 420-429.
- Falagan N, Miclo T & Terry L (2020) Graduated controlled atmosphere: a novel approach to increase "Duke" blueberry storage life, Frontiers in Plant Science, 11 (March) Article No. 221. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.11876544
- Serradilla MJ, Falagán N, Bohmer B, Terry LA & Alamar MC (2019) The role of ethylene and 1-MCP in early-season sweet cherry ‘Burlat’ storage life, Scientia Horticulturae, 258 (December) Article No. 108787.
- Falagán N & Terry LA (2018) Recent advances in controlled and modified atmosphere of fresh produce: Postharvest technologies to reduce food waste and maintain fresh produce quality, Johnson Matthey Technology Review, 62 (1) 107-117.
- Alamar MC, Falagán N, Aktas E & Terry LA (2018) Minimising food waste: a call for multidisciplinary research, Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 98 (1) 8-11.
- Silveira A, Falagán N, Aguayo E, Vilaró F & Escalona V (2017) Compositional changes on colored and light-yellow-fleshed potatoes subjected to two cooking processes Cambios en la composición de papas de pulpa coloreada y amarilla sujetas a dos procesos de cocción, CyTA - Journal of Food, 15 (2) 241-248.
- Falagán N, Artés F, Gómez P, Artés-Hernández F, Conejero W & Aguayo E (2016) Deficit irrigation strategies enhance health-promoting compounds through the intensification of specific enzymes in early peaches, Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 96 (5) 1803-1813.
- De la Rosa J, Conesa M, Domingo R, Aguayo E, Falagán N & Pérez-Pastor A (2016) Combined effects of deficit irrigation and crop level on early nectarine trees, Agricultural Water Management, 170 (May) 120-132.
- Falagàn N, Artes F, Gomez P, Artàes-Hernàandez F, Pàerez-Pastor A, de la Rosa J & Aguayo E (2016) Individual Phenolics and enzymatic changes in response to regulated deficit irrigation of extra-early nectarines, Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science, 141 (3) 222-232.
- Conesa M, Falagán N, de la Rosa J, Aguayo E, Domingo R & Pastor A (2016) Post-veraison deficit irrigation regimes enhance berry coloration and health-promoting bioactive compounds in 'Crimson Seedless' table grapes, Agricultural Water Management, 163 9-18.
- Falagán N, Artés F & Aguayo E (2016) Natural additives to preserve quality and improve nutritional value of fresh-cut nectarine, Food Science and Technology International, 22 (5) 429-439.
- Falagán N, Artés F & Aguayo E (2015) Heat treatment as postharvest tool for improving quality in extra-early nectarines, Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 98 (4) 1469-1475.
- Falagán N, Artés F, Gómez P, Artés-Hernández F, Conejero W & Aguayo E (2015) Deficit irrigation strategies combined with controlled atmosphere preserve quality in early peaches, Food Science and Technology International, 21 (7) 547-556.
- Falagán N, Artés F, Artés-Hernández F, Gómez P, Pérez-Pastor A & Aguayo E (2015) Comparative study on postharvest performance of nectarines grown under regulated deficit irrigation, Postharvest Biology and Technology, 110 (December) 24-32.
- Segantini D, Falagán N, Leonel S, Modesto J, Takata W & Artés F (2015) Chemical quality parameters and bioactive compound content of Brazilian berries, Ciência e Tecnologia de Alimentos, 35 (3) 502-508.
- Falagán N, Artés F, Gómez P, Artés-Hernández F, Pérez-Pastor A, De La Rosa J & Aguayo E (2015) Combined effects of deficit irrigation and fresh-cut processing on quality and bioactive compounds of nectarines, Horticultural Science (Czech Republic), 42 (3) 125-131.
- Falagán N, Aguayo E, Gómez P, Artés-Hernández F, Conejero W, Otón M & Artés F (2015) Combining MAP, deficit irrigation and Antibrowning treatment for keeping quality of fresh-cut peaches. In: XI International Controlled and Modified Atmosphere Research Conference, Trani, 3-7 June 2013.
- Falagán N, Aguayo E, Artés-Hernández F, Artés F, Gómez P, Peña-Estévez M & Corbalán M (2013) Combining deficit irrigation strategies and controlled atmosphere to maintain bioactive compounds in nectarine. In: VII International Postharvest Symposium, Kuala Lumpur, 25-29 June 2012.
- Falagán N, Artés-Hernández F, Aguayo E, Artés F, PeñaEstévez M, Gómez P & Galindo A (2012) Vitamin C, antioxidant activity and phenolic compounds of fresh-cut pomegranates cultivated under deficit irrigation strategy. In: VII International Postharvest Symposium, Kuala Lumpur, 25-29 June 2012.
- Martínez-Hernández G, Formica A, Falagán N, Artés F, Artés-Hernández F, Gómez P & Navarro-Rico J (2012) Extending the shelf life of the new Bimi® Broccoli by controlled atmosphere storage. In: VII International Postharvest Symposium, Kuala Lumpur, 25-29 June 2012.
- Falagán N, Calero F & Aguayo E (2016) Peaches and nectarines: Properties, deficit irrigation strategies and postharvest management. In: Apricots and Peaches: Nutritional Properties, Post-Harvest Management and Potential Health Benefits, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., p. 25-72.
- Falagán N, Calero F & Aguayo E (2016) Peaches and nectarines: Properties, deficit irrigation strategies and postharvest management. In: Apricots and Peaches: Nutritional Properties, Post-Harvest Management and Potential Health Benefits, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., p. 25-72, ed. UK ed..