Contact Dr Mudassir Lone
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x5337
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
- Aeronautical Systems
- Aircraft Design
- Autonomous Systems
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Flight Physics
- Human Factors
BackgroundMudassir received his BA and MEng degrees in Aerospace and Aerothermal Engineering from the University of Cambridge in 2008. He studied for his doctorate at Cranfield University in the field of man-machine interaction applied to handling qualities of large flexible aircraft. His thesis focused on the development and application of mathematical models of the pilot for the evaluation of airframe loads, especially in gust encounter scenarios.
He has worked previously as an aeroelastics engineer at Airbus UK where he investigated the feasibility of active loads control schemes and developed tools for the reconstruction and analysis of gust encounters and other flight incidents.
His research interests include aircraft stability and control, pilot modelling, aeroservoelastics and system identification. However, he has also applied his flight dynamics knowledge in the areas of trajectory generation and collision avoidance for autonomous umanned aerial vehicles (UAV).
He is a professional member of American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) and has served on the AIAA Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Technical Committee since 2010.
Mudassir is involved in a number of activities focusing on flight dynamics, control, system identification and aeroelastics. He also maintains his academic focus on large aircraft handling qualities and modelling of manual control dynamics. He teaches topics in flight dynamics, aircraft stability and flight control on the Aerospace Dynamics course. He also leads the university's short course on system identification, which not only looks at application to conventional aircraft, but also small unmanned UAVs.
Articles In Journals
- Weber S, Kissinger T, Chehura E, Staines S, Barrington J, Mullaney K, Zanotti Fragonara L, Petrunin I, James S, Lone M & Tatam R (2021) Application of fibre optic sensing systems to measure rotor blade structural dynamics, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 158 (September) Article No. 107758. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.13806794
- Weber S, Lone M & Cooke A (2019) Recent experiences of helicopter main rotor blade damage, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, 64 (3) Article No. 035001.
- Lone M & Dussart G (2019) Impact of spanwise non-uniform discrete gusts on civil aircraft loads, The Aeronautical Journal, 123 (1259) 93-120.
- Carrizales MA, Dussart G, Portapas V, Pontillo A & Lone M (2019) Verification of a low fidelity fast simulation framework through RANS simulations, CEAS Aeronautical Journal, 11 (1) 161-176.
- Dussart G, Lone M & Bailey R (2019) Development of a multi-directional manoeuvre for unified handling qualities investigation, Aerospace, 6 (6) Article No. 70.
- Dussart G, Yusuf S & Lone M (2019) Identification of in-flight wingtip folding effects on the roll characteristics of a flexible aircraft, Aerospace, 6 (6) Article No. 63.
- Dussart GX, Lone M, O'Rourke C & Wilson T (2019) In-flight wingtip folding: inspiration from the XB-70 Valkyrie, International Journal of Aviation, Aeronautics, and Aerospace, 6 (3) Article No. 7.
- Pontillo A, Yusuf S, Lopez G, Rennie D & Lone M (2019) Investigating pitching moment stall through dynamic wind tunnel test, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Early online (2).
- Abadir M, Yusuf S, Pontillo A & Lone M (2018) Parameters estimation methodology for the nonlinear rolling motion of finned cylindrical body, Aerospace Science and Technology, 84 (January) 782-798.
- Yusuf S, Lone M, Cooke A & Lawson N (2017) Regressor time-shifting to identify longitudinal stability and control derivatives of the Jetstream 3102, Aerospace Science and Technology, 69 218-225.
- Hayes D, Lone M, Whidborne JF, Camberos J & Coetzee E (2017) Adopting exergy analysis for use in aerospace, Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 93 (August) 73-94.
- Portapas V, Cooke A & Lone M (2016) Modelling framework for flight dynamics of flexible aircraft, Aviation, 20 (4) 173-182.
- Lone M, Lai CK, Cooke A & Whidborne J (2014) Framework for flight loads analysis of trajectory-based manoeuvres with pilot models, Journal of Aircraft, 51 (2) 637-650.
- Korek WT, Li W-C, Lu L & Lone M (2022) Investigating pilots’ operational behaviours while interacting with different types of inceptors. In: HCI International 2022: 24th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Virtual Event, 26 June - 1 July 2022.
- Bragado-Aldana E, Lone MM & Riaz A (2021) On wings with non-elliptic lift distributions. In: ICAS 2021: 32nd Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, Shanghai, 6-10 September 2021.
- Bragado Aldana E, Mendez A & Lone M (2020) Closer look at the flight dynamics of wings with non-elliptic lift distributions. In: AIAA SciTech Forum 2020, Orlando, Florida, 6-10 January 2020.
- Korek WT, Mendez A, Asad HU, Li WC & Lone M (2020) Understanding human behaviour in flight operation using eye-tracking technology. In: 22nd International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (HCI International) 2020, Copenhagen, 19-24 July 2020.
- Kissinger T, Weber S, Chehura E, Barrington J, Staines S, James S, Lone M & Tatam R (2019) Ground vibration testing of a helicopter rotor blade using optical fibre sensors. In: Seventh European Workshop on Optical Fibre Sensors, Limassol, 1-4 October 2019.
- Fleischmann D & Lone M (2019) Analysis of wake surfing benefits using a fast unsteady vortex lattice method. In: AIAA Scitech 2019 Forum, San Diego, 7-11 January 2019.
- Carrizales MA, Bragado Aldana E & Lone MM (2019) Non-elliptic lift distribution wings to decrease vertical tailplane size in commercial aircraft. In: AIAA Scitech 2019 Forum, San Diego, 7-11 January 2019.
- Yusuf SY, Pontillo A, Weber S, Hayes D & Lone MM (2019) Aeroelastic scaling for flexible high aspect ratio wings. In: AIAA Scitech 2019 Forum, San Diego, 7-11 January 2019.
- Hayes D, Pontillo A, Yusuf S & Lone MM (2019) High aspect ratio wing design using the minimum exergy destruction principle. In: AIAA Scitech 2019 Forum, San Diego, 7-11 January 2019.
- Dussart GX, Lone MM, O'Rourke C & Wilson T (2019) In-flight folding wingtip system: inspiration from the XB-70 Valkyrie. In: AIAA Scitech 2019 Forum, San Diego, 7-11 January 2019.
- Lopez Matos GE, Portapas V, Dussart GX, Lone MM & Coetzee E (2018) Pilot-in-the-loop flight simulation of flexible aircraft in MATLAB/Simulink: implementation and coding peculiarities. In: AIAA 2018 Modeling and Simulation Technologies Conference, Kissimmee, FL, 8-12 January 2018.
- Fleischmann D, Weber S & Lone MM (2018) Fast computational aeroelastic analysis of helicopter rotor blades. In: 2018 AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Kissimmee, FL, 8-12 January 2018.
- Dussart GX, Yusuf SY & Lone MM (2018) Effect of wingtip morphing on the roll mode of a flexible aircraft. In: 2018 AIAA/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, AIAA SciTech Forum, Kissimmee, FL, 8-12 January 2018.
- Pontillo A, Hayes D, Dussart GX, Lopez Matos GE, Carrizales MA, Yusuf SY & Lone MM (2018) Flexible high aspect ratio wing: low cost experimental model and computational framework. In: 2018 AIAA Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference, Kissimmee, FL, 8-12 January 2018.
- Weber S, Southgate D, Mullaney K, James S, Rutherford R, Sharma A, Lone M, Kissinger T, Chehura E, Staines S, Pekmezci H, Fragonara LZ, Petrunin I, Williams D, Moulitsas I, Cooke A, Lawson N, Rosales W, Tatam R, Morrish P, Fairhurst M, Atack R, Bailey G & Morley S (2018) Bladesense – a novel approach for measuring dynamic helicopter rotor blade deformation. In: 44th European Rotorcraft Forum (ERF 2018), Delft, 18-21 September 2018.
- Song S, Whidborne JF, Lone M & Molina-Cristobal A (2018) Multi-objective optimal longitudinal flight control system design for large flexible transport aircraft. In: UKACC 12th International Conference on Control (CONTROL 2018), Sheffield, 5-7 September 2018.
- Hayes D, Lone MM, Whidborne J & Coetzee E (2017) Evaluating the Rationale for Folding Wing Tips Comparing the Exergy and Breguet Approaches. In: 55th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Grapevine, Texas, 9-13 January 2017.
- Portapas V, Yusuf SY, Lone MM & Coetzee E (2017) Modelling Framework for Handling Qualities Analysis of Flexible Aircraft. In: AIAA Modeling and Simulation Technologies Conference 2017, Grapevine, Texas, 9-13 January 2017.
- Chavez OV, Yusuf SY & Lone MM (2017) Application of Multivariate Orthogonal Functions to Identify Aircraft Flutter Modes. In: AIAA Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference 2017, Grapevine, Texas, 9-13 January 2017.
- Dussart GX, Lone MM & Guo S (2017) Multidimensional discrete gust loads of a large civil flexible aircraft. In: AIAA Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference 2017, Grapevine, Texas, 9-13 January 2017.
- Weber S, Ramos Valle L, Barral X, Hayes D, Lone MM & Cooke A (2017) Impact of Rotor Blade Aeroelasticity on Rotorcraft Flight Dynamics. In: AIAA Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference 2017, Grapevine, Texas, 9-13 January 2017.
- Saeed T, Graham W, Babinsky H, Eastwood J, Hall C, Jarrett J, Lone M & Seffen K (2009) Conceptual design for a laminar flying wing aircraft. In: 27th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, San Antonio, Texas, 22-25 June 2009.
- Li W-C, Yan Z, Zhang J, Braithwaite G, Court S, Lone M & Thapa B Evaluating pilot’s perceived workload on interacting with augmented reality device in flight operations. In: 22nd International conference on Human-Computer Interaction (HCI International) 2020, Copenhagen, 19-24 July 2020.
- Dussart GX, Yusuf SY, Portapas V, Lopez Matos GE & Lone MM Method to assess lateral handling qualities of aircraft with wingtip morphing. In: 2018 AIAA Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference, Kissimmee, FL, 8-12 January 2018.