Areas of expertise
- Defence manufacturing
- Defence Sensors
- Test and Evaluation
- Explosives and Munitions
- Smart Materials
Monir has a BSc (Hons) degree in Chemistry and an MSc in Organic Chemistry both from Dhaka University. He obtained his PhD in Polymer Chemistry from the Chemistry Department at the University of Sheffield for his work on the synthesis and characterisation of block copolymers of styrene and dienes.
Monir worked as postdoctoral research fellow in the Materials Department at the University of Oxford prior to joining Cranfield University as a Senior Research Fellow in 2002. He has been made Lecturer in Explosive Chemistry in 2015. He is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Dr Monir Moniruzzaman is a Senior Lecturer in Explosive Chemistry in the Centre for Defence Chemistry. He is a polymer chemist with diverse skills in physical and organic materials. His team are actively engaged in researching in diverse field including but not limited to:
- Novel and LOVA propellants, binders and curing agents
- Nitrocellulose (NC) properties and vulnerability
- Detection of explosives and drugs
- Improvised nitrocellulose synthesis and assessment
- Non-destructive life assessment of munitions
- Application of graphene in defence
- Performance improvement of energetic materials
- Smart materials and chemical camouflaging
- Polymers and composites
- Materials structure-properties relationships
He supervises PhD and MSc research projects in the above areas and has authored over 40 papers in high quality journals and international conferences.
His teaching activities involve Explosives Chemistry,Propellants and commercial explosives . He leads two MSc Modules (Gun Propellants and Commercial Explosives.
Monir is an Editor of “International Scholarly Research Notices (ISRN)” and "World Journal of Textile Engineering and Technology". He is a Fellow of Higher Education Academy(FHEA) and Member Royal Society of Chemistry (MRSC).
- DE & S
- Defence Science Accelerator (DSA)
- Home Office
Articles In Journals
- Tırak E, Moniruzzaman M, Degirmenci E & Hameed A (2019) Closed vessel burning behavior and ballistic properties of artificially-degraded spherical double-base propellants stabilized with diphenylamine, Thermochimica Acta, 680 (October) Article No. 178347.
- Kister G, Moniruzzaman M, Khan M & Debnath S (2019) Mechanophore-linked hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene for the remote detection and quantification of mechanical stress, Dyes and Pigments, 162 (March) 309-314.
- Yahya PKI, Moniruzzaman M & Gill PP (2019) Interaction and thermal studies on graphene oxide in NC/DEGDN/GO nanocomposites, RSC Advances, 9 (60) 35158-35164.
- Ghann WE, Kang H, Uddin J, Chowdhury FA, Khondaker SI, Moniruzzaman M, Kabir MH & Rahman MM (2019) Synthesis and characterization of reduced graphene oxide and their application in dye-sensitized solar cells, ChemEngineering, 3 (1) Article No. 7.
- Moniruzzaman M, Christogianni P, Vrcelj R & Gill P (2018) Ultrasonic studies of solid azobenzene decorated polymer thin films, ACS Omega, 3 (12) 17693-17699.
- Moniruzzaman M & Rock J (2016) Azobenzene-based gel coated fibre Bragg grating sensor for moisture measurement, International Journal of Polymer Science, 2016 Article No. 8471903.
- Moniruzzaman M, Christogianni P & Kister G (2016) Self-healing in epoxy thermoset polymer films triggered by UV light, Procedia Engineering, 148 114-121.
- Hudson RJ, Moniruzzaman M & Gill PP (2015) Investigation of crystal morphology and shock sensitivity of cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine suspension by rheology, Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, 40 (2) 233-237.
- Christogianni P, Moniruzzaman M & Kister G (2015) Light-triggered enhancement of mechanical properties and healing effect in azobenzene-based polymer films, Polymer, 77 (October) 272-277.
- Christogianni P, Moniruzzaman M & Kister G (2015) Enhancement of mechanical properties of photo-responsive polymers, Macromolecular Symposia (Germany), 354 (1 Special Issue: MACRO 2014) 55-61.
- Moniruzzaman M, Christogianni P & Kister G (2014) Reversible Isomerization and Cure Monitoring of Epoxy Azobenzene Resins, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 131 (18) Article No. 40770.
- Moniruzzaman M, Bellerby JM & Bohn MA (2014) Activation energies for the decomposition of nitrate ester groups at the anhydroglucopyranose ring positions C2, C3 and C6 of nitrocellulose using the nitration of a dye as probe, Polymer Degradation and Stability, 102 (April) S49-S58.
- Moniruzzaman M, Bellerby JM & Mai N (2011) The effect of light on the viscosity and molecular mass of nitrocellulose, Polymer Degradation and Stability, 96 (5) 929-935.
- Moniruzzaman M & Bellerby JM (2008) Use of UV–visible spectroscopy to monitor nitrocellulose degradation in thin films, Polymer Degradation and Stability, 93 (6) 1067-1072.
- Moniruzzaman M, Sabey CJ & Fernando GF (2007) Photoresponsive Polymers: an investigation of their photo-induced temperature changes during photoviscosity measurements, Polymer, 48 255-263.
- Moniruzzaman M & Fernando GF (2006) Synthesis and structural investigation of 1',3',3'-trimethyl-6-hydroxy-spiro(2H-1-benzopyran-2,2'-indoline), 1',3',3'-trimethyl-6-methacryloyloxy-spiro(2H-1-benzopyran-2,2'-indoline) and a copolymer with methyl methacrylate by 1D and 2D NMR spectroscopy, European Polymer Journal, 42 (6) 1455-1466.
- Moniruzzaman M, Fernando GF & Bellamy AJ (2006) Synthesis and structural investigation of 1', 3', 3'-trimethyl-6-hydroxy-spiro(2H-1-benzopyran-2, 2'-indoline) and a copolymer with methyl methacrylate, European Polymer Journal, 42 (6) 1455-1466.
- Moniruzzaman M, Zioupos P & Fernando GF (2006) Investigation of Reversible Photo-Mechanical Properties of Azobenzene-Based Polymer Films by Nanoindentation, Scripta Materialia, 42 (2) 257-261.
- Moniruzzaman M, Talbot JD, Sabey CJ & Fernando GF (2006) The Use of 1H NMR and UV-vis measurements for quantitative determination of trans/cis isomerization of a photo-responsive monomer and its copolymer, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 100 (2) 1103-1112.
- Moniruzzaman M, Sabey CJ & Fernando GF (2004) Synthesis of azobenzene-based polymers and the in-situ characterisation of their photoviscosity effects, Macromolecules, 37 (7) 2572-2577.
- Moniruzzaman M, Young RN & Fairclough JPA (2004) Synthesis and characterisation of symmetric 4-armed star copolymers of PS capped with butadiene and PI: Importance of location of interface, Polymer, 45 (12) 4121-4131.
- Moniruzzaman M, Talbot JDR & Fernando GF (2004) Synthesis and Characterization of an Azobenzene and Acrylamide Based Photo-Responsive Copolymer and Gel, Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry, 42 2886-2896.
- Sabey CJ, Moniruzzaman M, Fernando GF, Badcock RA, Winter D, Akhavan J, Kronfli E & Bandara A (2003) In-situ characterisation of photo-actuating and photo-rheological polymers, MRS Online Proceedings Library, 785 279-284.
- Buzza DMA, Hamley IW, Fzea AH, Moniruzzaman M, Allgaier JB, Young RN, Olmsted PD & Mcleish TCB (1999) Anomalous Difference in the Order - Disorder Transition Temperature Comparing a Symmetric Diblock Copolymer AB with Its Hetero-Four-Arm Star Analog A2B2, Macromolecules, 32 7483-7495.
- Hudson R, Moniruzzaman M, Zioupos P & Gill P (2015) Investigation of reduced sensitivity RDX. In: 2nd International Workshop on Advances in Solid Propellant Systems (IWAPS 2015), Pune, 12-13 March 2015.
- Moniruzzaman M, Mai N & Gill P (2009) Photo-induced changes in the viscosity and molecular weight of nitrocellulose. In: 1st Korean International Symposium on High Energy Materials (1st KISHEM), Incheon, 6 October 2009.
- Moniruzzaman M & Bellerby JM (2007) A non-destructive UV-visible spectroscopic method for investigating the kinetics of Nitrocellulose decomposition in thin films. In: 14th Jan Hansson Symposium: Chemical Problems Connected with Stability of Explosives, Sweden, Sweden, 20 May 2007.
- Moniruzzaman M, Sabey CJ, Fernando GF, Badcock R, Winter D, Bandara A, Kronfli E & Akhavan J (2004) In-situ characterisation of photoactuating and photorheological polymers. In: Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, Vol. 785, 1 January 2004.
- Moniruzzaman M, Sabey CJ, Fernando GF, Badcock R & Winter D (2003) Design, Synthesis and Evaluation of Photactuating and Photorheological Polymers with Photo-Responsive Groups in the Side Chain. In: MRS Symposium, December 2003, 1 December 2003.
- Moniruzzaman M, Fernando GF, Sabey CJ, Winter D, Badcock RA, Akhavan J & Kronfli E Synthesis and characterization of a novel class of photo-actuating and photo-rheological polymers. In: SPIE Vol 5464 Organic Optoelectronics and Photonics.