Contact Dr Mohamed Afy-Shararah
Areas of expertise
- Operational Analysis and Simulation
- Sustainable Manufacturing
Mohamed is an Industrial Engineer with a passion for factories and everything associated with them. He works at the Sustainable Manufacturing Systems Centre He is the Director of Engineering and Management of Manufacturing Systems MSc, and the Chair of the Middle East and North Africa Regional Expert Group for Cranfield University.
He worked with FTSE 250 companies from within the UK high-value
manufacturing sector on how to design production systems that boost the flow
of goods through their value chains in order to improve the organization's cash flow. He also worked with SMEs in the UK to transfer and embed knowledge that successfully delivered a step-change in productivity and profitability. Mohamed's industry exposure and work with different manufacturing organizations has
led to the publication of his book: Systems
of Manufacturing Excellence: Generating Efficient and Reliable Manufacturing Operations.
Mohamed was in the Regional Team managing the supply chain function of the world-leading luxury cosmetics business. As well as, an industrial consultant assisting decision-makers in developing operational strategies and solutions in Norway, Egypt, and the UK. Before joining Cranfield, Mohamed worked with some of the world’s leading businesses in the manufacturing and retail sectors. His work spanned a variety of industries including, Automotive, Aerospace, Cosmetics, Electronics, Food & Drink, Furniture, Metal Forming, and Pharmaceuticals.
Mohamed performs research in industrial sustainability, specifically the Circular Economy for industrial development. His current work involves developing innovative operational models to achieve flow within an efficient closed loop. Additionally, he is keen to expand the application of simulation and how digital twins, sensors, and the Internet of Things can be used for business transformations.
Mohamed enjoys doing empirical research, especially in the domain of operations management. Why performances fluctuate, how to consistently perform better, how operations are controlled to the highest quality, managed in a timely and effective manner, and how supply chain material flow is smoothly managed are his main focus areas.
He is interested in exploring the ‘operational noise’ that
inhibits the performance of manufacturing systems throughout the whole supply
chain. He integrates his skills in system dynamics and discrete-event simulation
with the design of manufacturing systems to achieve excellence in operations
Estée Lauder Companies
Catalent Pharma Solutions
Articles In Journals
- Afy-Shararah M & Salonitis K (2022) Integrated modeling of “soft” and “hard” variables in manufacturing, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Available online 9 August 2022.
- Jagtap S, Trollman H, Trollman F, Garcia-Garcia G, Parra-López C, Duong L, Martindale W, Munekata PE, Lorenzo JM, Hdaifeh A, Hassoun A, Salonitis K & Afy-Shararah M (2022) The Russia-Ukraine conflict: its implications for the global food supply chains, Foods, 11 (14) Article No. 2098.
- Abdelmeguid A, Afy-Shararah M & Salonitis K (2022) Investigating the challenges of applying the principles of the circular economy in the fashion industry: a systematic review, Sustainable Production and Consumption, 32 (July) 505-518.
- Rajab S, Afy-Shararah M & Salonitis K (2022) Using industry 4.0 capabilities for identifying and eliminating lean wastes, Procedia CIRP, 107 21-27.
- Garcia-Garcia G, Coulthard G, Jagtap S, Afy-Shararah M, Patsavellas J & Salonitis K (2021) Business process re-engineering to digitalise quality control checks for reducing physical waste and resource use in a food company, Sustainability, 13 (22) Article No. 12341.
- Haddad Y, Pagone E, Afy-Shararah M, Pearson N, Folland JJ & Salonitis K (2021) The transition to environmentally sustainable production: a roadmap timeline methodology, Procedia CIRP, 103 79-84.
- Afy-Shararah M, Patsavellas J & Salonitis K (2021) Modelling sources of operational noise in production systems, Procedia Manufacturing, 54 95-99.
- Afy-Shararah M & Rich N (2018) Operations flow effectiveness: a systems approach to measuring flow performance, Journal of Operations and Production Management, 38 (11) 2096-2123.
- Shararah MA (2013) A value stream map in motion, Industrial Engineer -Norcross-, 45 (5) 46-50.
- Almanei M, Oleghe O, Afy-Shararah M & Salonitis K (2022) Implementing pull manufacturing in make-to-order environments. In: 19th International Conference in Manufacturing Research ICMR 2022, Derby, 6-8 September 2022.
- Shararah MS, El-Kilany KS & El-Sayed AE (2011) Generic modeling and simulation of value stream maps – a case study. In: IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management (IEEM 2011), Singapore, 6-9 December 2011.
- Shararah MA, El-Kilany KS & El-Sayed AE (2010) Component based modeling and simulation of value stream mapping for lean production systems. In: 20th International Conference on Flexible Automation and Intelligent Manufacturing (FAIM 2010), San Francisco, 12-14 July 2010.
- Rich N & Afy-Shararah M (2020) Systems for manufacturing excellence: generating efficient and reliable manufacturing operations. Kogan Page.