Contact Dr Mike Williams
- Email: email@example.com
Areas of expertise
- CBRN Focus Areas
- Explosives and Munitions
Mike's higher education was at Birmingham University where he obtained his
- BSc in Chemistry in 1975
- MSc in Free Radical Kinetics in 1976
- PhD in Gas phase ozone and hydroxyl radical reactions in 1979.
He came to the then Royal Military College of Science as a post-doctoral researcher in 1979. After various posts he joined the Cranfield University Academic Staff.
Mike's interests include:
- Measuring and predicting radiant heat flux from fast thermal events
- Adsorption science and respiratory protection - board member of the International Society of Respiratory Protection
- Gas detection systems - member of the UK Gas Sensor Group.
Articles In Journals
- Nyombi A, Williams MR & Wessling R (2019) Toxic emissions from smouldering combustion of woody biomass and derived char with a case study of CO build-up in an ISO container, Energy Sources Part A Recovery, Utilisation and Environmental Effects, Available online 30 May 2019.
- Nyombi A, Williams RM & Wessling R (2019) Reactivity and free radical chemistry of lilac (Syringa vulgaris) charcoal, Energy and Fuels, 33 (2) 1227-1235.
- Nyombi A, Williams MR & Wessling R (2019) Mechanical impregnation of Pd-Sn/alumina and Cu-Mn/graphite on charcoal to minimise carbon monoxide emissions, Chemical Physics Letters, 715 (January) 181-185. Dataset/s: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cplett.2018.11.041
- Nyombi A, Williams MR & Wessling R (2019) Catalytic effects on the nonisothermal oxidation of solid fuels by oxygen: an experimental study, Energy and Fuels, Available online 24 September 2019 (10). Dataset/s: 10.1021/acs.energyfuels.9b02514/suppl_file/ef9b02514_si_001.pdf
- Nyombi A, Williams M & Wessling R (2018) Determination of kinetic parameters and thermodynamic properties for Ash (Fraxinus) wood sawdust slow pyrolysis by thermogravimetric analysis, Energy Sources Part A Recovery, Utilisation and Environmental Effects, 40 (22) 2660-2670.
- Williams MR, Dunne & JL (2013) Heat Flux Measurement from Bulk Magnesium/Teflon/Viton (MTV) Flare Composition Combustion., Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, 38 (4) 563-568.
- Williams MR & Matei MV (2007) Estimating the Violence of Explosion of the Cook-Off Event, Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, 32 (1) 7-15.
- Williams MR & Matei MV (2006) Time to Explosion and Apparent Activation Energy, Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, 31 (6) 435-441.
- Williams MR & Wingrave M (2002) The Effect of Humidity of the Friction Sensitiveness of RDX, Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, 27 (4) 241-243.
- Nyombi A, Williams MR & Wessling R (2018) Minimising CO from Charcoal by impregnating with Pd-Sn/Al2O3 and Cu-Mn2O4/C. In: 37th International Symposium on Combustion, The Convention Centre - Dublin, 29 July - 3 August 2018.
- Williams MR, Dunne JL & Barnes I (2004) Thermal Output from Energetic Events - A Thermodynamic Approach. In: MABS 18 Conference, Bad Reichenhall, Germany, 1 September 2004.
- Williams MR & Sherlock F (2004) A Comparison of Some Advanced Oxidation Processes in a Batch Reactor. In: AOP2 Conference, Cranfield University, Bedford, UK, 1 April 2004.
- Williams MR, Dunne JL, Lawton B & Pearce B (2001) Creams for Protection Against Skin Burns in Explosions. In: 19th International Symposium on Ballistics, Interlaken, Switzerland, 7 May 2001.
- Akhavan J, Grose I, Williams M & Cook B (1995) A Device for quantitative evaluation of thrust produced by small fireworks rockets. In: 26th International Annual Conference of ICT, Karlsruhe.
- Hodges CM, Akhavan J, Williams M & Cook B (1991) The use of polymer binders in the continuous processing of coloured pyrotechnic star compositions. In: 16th International Pyrotechnics Seminar, Jonkoping, 24 June 1991.
- Wallace I, Cartwright M, Williams MR & Jones A The Vulnerability of Explosives to Low Velocity Impact. In: 32nd DoD Explosives Safety Seminar, Philadelphia, USA.
- Williams MR & Parsons SA (2004) Introduction. In: Advanced Oxidation Processes for Waste and Wastewater Treatment, IWA Publishing, p. 1-6.