Areas of expertise
- CBRN Focus Areas
- Explosives and Munitions
Mike's higher education was at Birmingham University where he obtained his
- BSc in Chemistry in 1975
- MSc in Free Radical Kinetics in 1976
- PhD in Gas phase ozone and hydroxyl radical reactions in 1979.
He came to the then Royal Military College of Science as a post-doctoral researcher in 1979. After various posts he joined the Cranfield University Academic Staff. He retired in 2018 but is still active in the research community of only somebody would let him into a lab!
Mike's interests include:
- Measuring and predicting radiant heat flux from fast thermal events
- Adsorption science and respiratory protection - board member of the International Society of Respiratory Protection
- Gas detection systems - member of the UK Gas Sensor Group.
Articles In Journals
- Nyombi A, Williams RM & Wessling R (2019) Reactivity and free radical chemistry of lilac (Syringa vulgaris) charcoal, Energy and Fuels, 33 (2) 1227-1235.
- Nyombi A, Williams MR & Wessling R (2019) Toxic emissions from smouldering combustion of woody biomass and derived char with a case study of CO build-up in an ISO container, Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization and Environmental Effects, 42 (24) 2990-3007.
- Nyombi A, Williams MR & Wessling R (2019) Mechanical impregnation of Pd-Sn/alumina and Cu-Mn/graphite on charcoal to minimise carbon monoxide emissions, Chemical Physics Letters, 715 (January) 181-185. Dataset/s: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cplett.2018.11.041
- Nyombi A, Williams MR & Wessling R (2019) Catalytic effects on the nonisothermal oxidation of solid fuels by oxygen: an experimental study, Energy and Fuels, 33 (10) 10307-10316. Dataset/s: 10.1021/acs.energyfuels.9b02514/suppl_file/ef9b02514_si_001.pdf
- Nyombi A, Williams M & Wessling R (2018) Determination of kinetic parameters and thermodynamic properties for Ash (Fraxinus) wood sawdust slow pyrolysis by thermogravimetric analysis, Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization and Environmental Effects, 40 (22) 2660-2670.
- Williams MR, Dunne & JL (2013) Heat Flux Measurement from Bulk Magnesium/Teflon/Viton (MTV) Flare Composition Combustion., Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, 38 (4) 563-568.
- Williams MR & Matei MV (2007) Estimating the Violence of Explosion of the Cook-Off Event, Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, 32 (1) 7-15.
- Williams MR & Matei MV (2006) Time to Explosion and Apparent Activation Energy, Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, 31 (6) 435-441.
- Williams MR & Wingrave M (2002) The Effect of Humidity of the Friction Sensitiveness of RDX, Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, 27 (4) 241-243.
- Nyombi A, Williams MR & Wessling R (2018) Minimising CO from Charcoal by impregnating with Pd-Sn/Al2O3 and Cu-Mn2O4/C. In: 37th International Symposium on Combustion, The Convention Centre - Dublin, 29 July - 3 August 2018.
- Williams MR, Dunne JL & Barnes I (2004) Thermal Output from Energetic Events - A Thermodynamic Approach. In: MABS 18 Conference, Bad Reichenhall, Germany, 1 September 2004.
- Williams MR & Sherlock F (2004) A Comparison of Some Advanced Oxidation Processes in a Batch Reactor. In: AOP2 Conference, Cranfield University, Bedford, UK, 1 April 2004.
- Williams MR, Dunne JL, Lawton B & Pearce B (2001) Creams for Protection Against Skin Burns in Explosions. In: 19th International Symposium on Ballistics, Interlaken, Switzerland, 7 May 2001.
- Akhavan J, Grose I, Williams M & Cook B (1995) A Device for quantitative evaluation of thrust produced by small fireworks rockets. In: 26th International Annual Conference of ICT, Karlsruhe.
- Hodges CM, Akhavan J, Williams M & Cook B (1991) The use of polymer binders in the continuous processing of coloured pyrotechnic star compositions. In: 16th International Pyrotechnics Seminar, Jonkoping, 24 June 1991.
- Wallace I, Cartwright M, Williams MR & Jones A The Vulnerability of Explosives to Low Velocity Impact. In: 32nd DoD Explosives Safety Seminar, Philadelphia, USA.
- Williams MR & Parsons SA (2004) Introduction. In: Advanced Oxidation Processes for Waste and Wastewater Treatment, IWA Publishing, p. 1-6.