Contact Dr Miguel Arana-Catania
Dr Miguel Arana-Catania is a Research and Teaching Fellow in Causal Inference and Verification in Machine Learning.
He works at the School of Aerospace, Transport and Manufacturing (SATM) as a member of the Human Machine Intelligence Group. He teaches several modules of the Applied AI MSc and Autonomous Vehicle Dynamics and Control MSc.
He obtained his MSc and PhD degrees in Theoretical Physics from the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (UAM) and the Institute for Theoretical Physics (IFT) UAM-CSIC.
He has previously worked in Natural Language Processing at the Alan Turing Institute and at the Department of Computer Science, University of Warwick.
Articles In Journals
- Kochkina E, Hossain T, Logan RL, Arana-Catania M, Procter R, Zubiaga A, Singh S, He Y & Liakata M (2022) Evaluating the generalisability of neural rumour verification models, Information Processing and Management, 60 (1) Article No. 103116.
- Arana-Catania M, van Lier FA & Procter R (2022) Supporting peace negotiations in the Yemen war through machine learning, Data and Policy, 4 (1) Article No. e28.
- Arana-Catania M, Lier FAV, Procter R, Tkachenko N, He Y, Zubiaga A & Liakata M (2021) Citizen participation and machine learning for a better democracy, Digital Government: Research and Practice, 2 (3) Article No. 27.
- Arana-Catania M, Arganda E & Herrero MJ (2015) Erratum to: non-decoupling SUSY in LFV Higgs decays: a window to new physics at the LHC, Journal of High Energy Physics, 2015 (10) Article No. 192.
- Arana-Catania M, Heinemeyer S & Herrero MJ (2014) Updated constraints on general squark flavor mixing, Physical Review D - Particles, Fields, Gravitation and Cosmology, 90 (7) Article No. 075003.
- Arana-Catania M, Arganda E & Herrero MJ (2013) Non-decoupling SUSY in LFV Higgs decays: a window to new physics at the LHC, Journal of High Energy Physics, 2013 (9) Article No. 160.
- Arana-Catania M, Heinemeyer S & Herrero MJ (2013) New constraints on general slepton flavor mixing, Physical Review D - Particles, Fields, Gravitation and Cosmology, 88 (1) Article No. 015026.
- Arana-Catania M, Heinemeyer S, Herrero MJ & Penaranda S (2012) Higgs boson masses and B-physics constraints in non-minimal flavor violating SUSY scenarios, Journal of High Energy Physics, 2012 (5) Article No. 15.
- McDonnell C, Arana-Catania M & Upadhyay S (2023) Autonomous robotic arm manipulation for planetary missions using causal machine learning. In: ASTRA 2023: 17th Symposium on Advanced Space Technologies in Robotics and Automation, Leiden, 18-20 October 2023.
- Zhao R, Arana-Catania M, Zhu L, Kochkina E, Gui L, Zubiaga A, Procter R, Liakata M & He Y (2023) PANACEA: an automated misinformation detection system on COVID-19. In: EACL 2023: The 17th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, Dubrovnik, 1-6 May 2023.
- Davies J, Arana-Catania M, Procter R, Van Lier FA & He Y (2022) Evaluating the application of NLP tools in mainstream participatory budgeting processes in Scotland. In: ICEGOV '21: Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Theory and Practice of Electronic Governance, Athens, 6-8 October 2021.
- Davies J, Arana-Catania M & Procter R (2022) Embedding digital participatory budgeting within local government: motivations, strategies and barriers faced. In: ICEGOV '22: 15th International Conference on Theory and Practice of Electronic Governance, Guimarães, 4-7 October 2022.
- Arana-Catania M, Kochkina E, Zubiaga A, Liakata M, Procter R & He Y (2022) Natural language inference with self-attention for veracity assessment of pandemic claims. In: NAACL 2022 - 2022 Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Human Language Technologies, Proceedings of the Conference, Seattle, 10-15 July 2022.
- Dougrez-Lewis J, Kochkina E, Arana-Catania M, Liakata M & He Y (2022) PHEMEPlus: enriching social media rumour verification with external evidence. In: FEVER 2022 - 5th Fact Extraction and VERification Workshop, Proceedings of the Workshop, Dublin, 26 May 2022.
- Arana-Catania M, Procter R, He Y & Liakata M (2021) Evaluation of abstractive summarisation models with machine translation in deliberative processes. In: 3rd Workshop on New Frontiers in Summarization, 10 November 2021.
- Davies J, Arana-Catania M, Procter R, Van Lier FA & He Y (2021) A mixed-methods ethnographic approach to participatory budgeting in Scotland. In: GoodIT '21: Conference on Information Technology for Social Good, Rome, 9-11 September 2021.