Contact Dr Michail Papanikolaou
Dr Michail Papanikolaou (Dip Eng, MSc, PhD) is a Research Fellow in Energy Resilient Casting Processes. He graduated in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Patras, GR. He holds a PhD in Computational Physics from the Cranfield University and has worked in various research projects funded by both European and UK councils.
Dr Michail Papanikolaou has authored research papers in international journals and conference proceedings while his expertise lies in numerical modelling and simulation. He has been awarded by the Technical Chamber of Greece and State Scholarship Foundation (IKY).
Michail's interests currently include:
- Molecular Dynamics modelling of manufacturing processes and micro/nano- flows
- CFD Modelling of Casting Processes
- Process optimisation
- Software development
- Multi-Criteria Decision Making
Articles In Journals
- Papanikolaou M, Pagone E, Salonitis K & Jolly M (2020) Sustainability-based evaluation of casting gating systems: A multi-criteria decision-making approach, Procedia Manufacturing, 43 704-711.
- Pagone E, Papanikolaou M, Salonitis K & Jolly M (2020) Multi-criteria decision-making for the life cycle of sustainable high pressure die casting products, International Journal of Sustainable Manufacturing, 4 (2-4) 101-120.
- Prabhakar A, Papanikolaou M, Salonitis K & Jolly M (2020) Minimising defect formation in sand casting of sheet lead: a DoE approach, Metals, 10 (2) Article No. 252.
- Papanikolaou M, Pagone E, Jolly M & Salonitis K (2020) Numerical simulation and evaluation of Campbell running and gating systems, Metals, 10 (1) Article No. 68.
- Papanikolaou M, Salonitis K, Jolly M & Frank M (2019) Large-scale molecular dynamics simulations of homogeneous nucleation of pure aluminium, Metals, 9 (11) Article No. 1217.
- Prabhakar A, Papanikolaou M, Salonitis K & Jolly M (2019) Sand casting of sheet lead: Numerical simulation of metal flow and solidification, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Available online 20 September 2019 (1-2).
- Papanikolaou M & Salonitis K (2019) Fractal roughness effects on nanoscale grinding, Applied Surface Science, 467-468 (February) 309-319.
- Frank M, Papanikolaou M, Drikakis D & Salonitis K (2019) Heat transfer across a fractal surface, Journal of Chemical Physics, 151 (13) Article No. 134705.
- Papanikolaou M & Salonitis K (2019) Contact stiffness effects on nanoscale high-speed grinding: A molecular dynamics approach, Applied Surface Science, 493 (November) 212-224.
- Salonitis K, Jolly M, Pagone E & Papanikolaou M (2019) Life cycle and energy assessment of automotive components manufacturing: The dilemma between aluminium and cast iron, Energies, 12 (13) Article No. 2557.
- Papanikolaou M, Pagone E, Georgarakis K, Rogers K, Jolly M & Salonitis K (2018) Design optimisation of the feeding system of a novel counter-gravity casting process, Metals, 8 (10) Article No. 817.
- Papanikolaou M, Frank M & Drikakis D (2017) Effects of surface roughness on shear viscosity, Physical Review E, 95 (3) Article No. 033108.
- Papanikolaou M, Frank M & Drikakis D (2016) Nanoflow over a fractal surface, Physics of Fluids, 28 (8) Article No. 082001.
- Papanikolaou M, Farmakopoulos M & Papadopoulos C (2015) Alternation of the dynamic coefficients of short journal bearings due to wear, International Journal of Structural Integrity, 6 (5) 649-664.
- Papanikolaou M, Salonitis K & Jolly M (2020) Molecular dynamics simulations of the solidification of pure aluminium. In: Light metals 2020, Cham: Springer, p. 158-167.
- Saxena P, Papanikolaou M, Pagone E, Salonitis K & Jolly MR (2020) Digital manufacturing for Foundries 4.0. In: Light metals 2020, Cham: Springer.
- Lyu C, Papanikolaou M & Jolly M (2019) Numerical process modelling and simulation of campbell running systems designs. In: Shape Casting: The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series, Cham: Springer, p. 53-64, ed. 7th International Symposium Celebrating Prof. John Campbell's 80th Birthday.
- Pagone E, Papanikolaou M, Salonitis K & Jolly M (2019) Metal casting energy efficient metrics for material selection of automotive parts. In: Sustainable Design and Manufacturing 2018: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing (KES-SDM-18), Springer, p. 290-303.
- Papanikolaou M, Pagone E, Salonitis K, Jolly M & Makatsoris C (2019) A computational framework towards energy efficient casting processes. In: Sustainable Design and Manufacturing 2018: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing (KES-SDM-18), Cham: Springer, p. 263-276.