Areas of expertise
- Explosives and Munitions
Melissa joined Cranfield University in 2015 and works in the Environmental Science Group within the Life Assessment Group in Cranfield Defence Chemistry.
Shorter promotional video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt7fA0XR7bU&t=45s
Longer educational video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfQ3nnPkUIg&t=3s
The group runs a suite of IEMA accredited environmental courses for defence acquisition (https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/Courses/Short/Defence-and-Security/Environmental-Awareness-and-Compliance-in-Defence), and is involved in teaching on various MSc and short courses including the Explosives, Ordnance and Engineering MSc (https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/courses/taught/explosives-ordnance-engineering).
Articles In Journals
- Gutierrez-Carazo E, Dowle J, Coulon F, Temple T & Ladyman M (2022) Predicting the transport of 2,4-dinitroanisole (DNAN) and 3-nitro-1,2,4-triazol-5-one (NTO) in sandy and sandy loam soils, Heliyon, 8 (11) Article No. e11758. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.20337168, 10.17862/cranfield.rd.20337165, 10.17862/cranfield.rd.20310087, 10.17862/cranfield.rd.20308932, 10.17862/cranfield.rd.20334591
- Persico F, Temple T, Ladyman M, Gilroy-Hirst W, Guiterrez-Carazo E & Coulon F (2022) Quantitative environmental assessment of explosive residues from the detonation of Insensitive High Explosive filled 155 mm artillery shell, Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, 47 (3) Article No. e202100220. Dataset/s: https://doi.org/10.17862/cranfield.rd.15066633.v1
- Persico F, Coulon F, Ladyman M & Temple T (2022) Development of an environmental hazard-based rating assessment for defence-related chemical compounds in ecological soil systems, Environment International, 166 (August) Article No. 107392. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.18858134
- Ladyman M, Gutierrez-Carazo E, Persico F, Temple T & Coulon F (2022) Assessing the performance of environmental management in academic research laboratories, Heliyon, 8 (3) Article No. e09135. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.14217197
- Galante EB, Mai N, Ladyman MK, Gill PP, Temple TJ & Coulon F (2021) Evaluation of small-scale combustion of an insensitive high explosive formulation containing 3-nitro-1,2,4-triazol-5-one (NTO), 2,4-dinitroanisole (DNAN) and 1,3,5-trinitroperhydro-1,3,5-triazine (RDX), Journal of Energetic Materials, 39 (1) 85-99.
- Collet G, Ladyman MK, Hazael R & Temple TJ. (2021) The use of a predictive threat analysis to propose revisions to existing risk assessments for precursor chemicals used in the manufacture of home-made explosives (HME), Heliyon, 7 (12) Article No. e08343.
- Fawcett-Hirst, W., Temple, TJ., Ladyman, MK., Coulon & F. (2021) A review of treatment methods for insensitive high explosive contaminated wastewater, Heliyon, 7 (7) Article No. e07438.
- Fawcett-Hirst W, Temple TJ, Ladyman MK & Coulon F (2020) Adsorption behaviour of 1,3,5-trinitroperhydro-1,3,5-triazine, 2,4-dinitroanisole and 3-nitro-1,2,4-triazol-5-one on commercial activated carbons, Chemosphere, 255 (September) Article No. 126848.
- Temple T, Cipullo S, Galante E, Ladyman M, Mai N, Parry T & Coulon F (2019) The effect of soil type on the extraction of insensitive high explosive constituents using four conventional methods, Science of the Total Environment, 668 (June) 184-192.
- Ladyman MK, Temple TJ, Piperakis MM, Fawcett-Hirst W, Gutierrez-Carazo E & Coulon F (2019) Decision framework for the environmental management of explosive contaminated land, Science of the Total Environment, 690 (November) 730-738.
- Temple T, Ladyman M, Mai N, Galante E, Ricamora M, Shirazi R & Coulon F (2018) Investigation into the environmental fate of the combined Insensitive High Explosive constituents 2,4-dinitroanisole (DNAN), 1-nitroguanidine (NQ) and nitrotriazolone (NTO) in soil, Science of the Total Environment, 625 (June) 1264-1271.
- Temple T, Goodwin C, Ladyman MK, Mai N & Coulon F (2018) Optimised accelerated solvent extraction of hexahydro‐1, 3, 5‐trinitro‐1, 3, 5 triazine (RDX) from polymer bonded explosives, Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, 43 (11) 1171-1177.
- Kumar M, Ladyman MK, Mai N, Temple T & Coulon F (2017) Release of 1,3,5-trinitroperhydro-1,3,5-triazine (RDX) from polymer-bonded explosives (PBXN 109) into water by artificial weathering, Chemosphere, 169 (February) 604-608.
- Ladyman M, Mai N & Temple T (2017) Estimating explosive contamination from live-fire munitions using multi-increment sampling in Alaska, Explosives Engineering (December).
- Ladyman M, Temple T, Gill P & Galante E (2017) The UK Ministry of Defence Project Orientated Environmental Management System (POEMS), Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, 42 (1) 36-43.
- Walsh MR, Temple T, Big, MF, Tshabalala SF, Mai N & Ladyman M (2017) Investigation of energetic particle distribution from high-order detonations of munitions, Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, 42 (8) 932-941.
- Ladyman MK, Walton JGA, Lilienkampf A & Bradley M (2016) Fluorescent Formazans and Tetrazolium Salts – Towards Fluorescent Cytotoxicity Assays, Combinatorial Chemistry and High Throughput Screening, 19 (5) 384-391.
- Maguenea GM, Jakhlala J, Ladyman M, Vallina A, Ralambomananaa DA, Bousqueta T, Maugeinb J, Lebibic J & Pélinski L. (2010) Synthesis and antimycobacterial activity of a series of ferrocenyl derivatives, European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 46 (1) 31-38.
- Temple TJ, Ladyman ML (eds), (2022) Challenges in risk analysis for science and engineering: Development of a common language, Bristol: IOP.
- Gilroy-Hirst W, Padfield J, Ladyman M, Coulon F & Temple T (2022) Practical application of a decision framework to mitigate environmental risks posed by the treatment of explosive contaminated wastewater. In: Challenges in Risk Analysis for Science and Engineering: Development of a common language, IOP, p. 13-1-13-20.
- Gutierrez Carazo E, Persico F, Ladyman M, Temple T & Coulon F (2022) Minimising the risks to decision-making by selecting representative experimental methods for environmental science research. In: Challenges in Risk Analysis for Science and Engineering: Development of a common language, IOP, p. 6-1-6-15.
- Temple TJ, Ladyman MK (eds), (2020) Global approaches to environmental management on military training ranges, Bristol, UK: IOP Publishing, ed. 1.
- Bortone I, Coulon F, Fawcett-Hirst W, Ladyman M & Temple T (2019) Scientific principles of environmental management. In: Global Approaches to Environmental Management on Military Training Ranges, IOP Publishing, p. 1-1-1-25.