Contact Dr Maurizio Collu
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754779
- Email: email@example.com
- Linkedin: https://uk.linkedin.com/in/mcollu
- Blog: http://blogs.cranfield.ac.uk/energy/why-is-uk-developing-offshore-floating-wind-farms
Areas of expertise
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Design, Strategy & Innovation
- Renewable Energy
- Systems Engineering
Dr Maurizio Collu holds a BSc and MSc (Hons 1st) in Aerospace Engineering from Politecnico di Milano and a PhD in Dynamics of Marine Vehicles with Aerodynamic Surfaces from Cranfield University. In 2008, he was Research Fellow in Cranfield University, carrying on his research on high speed marine vehicles with aerodynamic surfaces, and he expanded his expertise into offshore hydromechanics applied to floating offshore structures. He was Deputy Director of the Advanced Mechanical Engineering MSc course from 2009 to 2010, and in 2010 he became a Lecturer and Course Director of the AME MSc.
- Internationally leading expert in offshore floating wind systems, focusing on their design and on their coupled dynamics modelling - currently managing 1.1m£ worth of research in this area.
- Maurizio leads one of the five EPSRC Joint UK-China Offshore Renewable Energy flagship projects, INNO-MPP, amongst other offshore renewable energy project funded by the UK research council and the EU.
- He is Co-Investigator and Work Package leader in a prestigious 3 year EPSRC project HOME-Offshore, which focuses on merging Artificial Intelligence, Robotic inspection and Advanced Physics Modelling to lower the cost of offshore wind farm maintenance.
- He has led the major MSc programmes in Offshore Eng. and in Advanced Mechanical Eng., and he is a major contributor to the Renewable Energy Marine Structures (REMS) Centre for Doctoral Training.
- He sits on several international committees, including the ITTC Specialist Committee on Hydrodynamic Modelling of Marine Renewable Energy Devices, the Maritime Innovation Committee of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects (RINA), and the OMAE Ocean Renewable Energy technical committee.
- EU FP7
- High speed marine vehicles start-up companies.
- Renewable energy start-up companies
- TSB (Innovate UK)
Articles In Journals
- Cevasco D, Collu M, Rizzo CM & Hall M (2018) On mooring line tension and fatigue prediction for offshore vertical axis wind turbines: A comparison of lumped mass and quasi-static approaches, Wind Engineering, 42 (2) 97-107.
- Iordanov SG, Collu M & Cao Y (2017) Can a Wind Turbine Learn to Operate Itself? Evaluation of the potential of a heuristic, data-driven self-optimizing control system for a 5MW offshore wind turbine, Energy Procedia, 137 26-37.
- Ruzzo C, Failla G, Collu M, Nava V, Fiamma V & Arena F (2017) Output-only identification of rigid body motions of floating structures: a case study, Procedia Engineering, 199 930-935.
- Ruzzo C, Failla G, Collu M, Nava V, Fiamma V & Arena F (2016) Operational modal analysis of a spar-type floating platform using frequency domain decomposition method, Energies, 9 (11) Article No. 870 - .
- Ruzzo C, Fiamma V, Nava V, Collu M, Failla G & Arena F (2016) Progress on the experimental set-up for the testing of a floating offshore wind turbine scaled model in a field site, Wind Engineering, 40 (5) 455-467.
- Borg M & Collu M (2015) Frequency-domain characteristics of aerodynamic loads of offshore floating vertical axis wind turbines, Applied Energy, 155 629-636.
- Orlandi A, Collu M, Zanforlin S & Shires A. (2015) 3D URANS analysis of a vertical axis wind turbine in skewed flows, Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 147 77-84.
- Borg M & Collu M (2015) A comparison between the dynamics of horizontal and vertical axis offshore floating wind turbines, Philosophical Transactions A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 373 (2035).
- Borg M & Collu M (2015) Offshore floating vertical axis wind turbines, dynamics modelling state of the art. Part III: Hydrodynamics and coupled modelling approaches, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 46 296-310.
- Yang W, Yang Z & Collu M (2015) Longitudinal static stability requirements for wing in ground effect vehicle, International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, 7 (2) 259-269.
- Collu M, Brennan FP & Patel MH (2014) Conceptual design of a floating support structure for an offshore vertical axis wind turbine: The lessons learnt, Ships and Offshore Structures, 9 (1) 3-21.
- Collu M, Maggi A, Gualeni P, Rizzo CM & Brennan F (2014) Stability requirements for floating offshore wind turbine (FOWT) during assembly and temporary phases: Overview and application, Ocean Engineering, 84 164-175.
- Borg M, Collu M & Kolios A (2014) Offshore floating vertical axis wind turbines, dynamics modelling state of the art. Part II: Mooring line and structural dynamics, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 39 1226-1234.
- Borg M, Shires A & Collu M (2014) Offshore floating vertical axis wind turbines, dynamics modelling state of the art. part I: Aerodynamics, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 39 1214-1225.
- Borg M, Collu M & Brennan FP (2013) Use of a wave energy converter as a motion suppression device for floating wind turbines, Energy Procedia, 35 223-233.
- Martin H, Spano G, Küster JF, Collu M & Kolios AJ (2013) Application and extension of the TOPSIS method for the assessment of floating offshore wind turbine support structures, Ships and Offshore Structures, 8 (5) 477-487.
- Lefebvre S & Collu M (2012) Preliminary design of a floating support structure for a 5 MW offshore wind turbine, Ocean Engineering, 40 15-26.
- Williams AGW, Collu M & Patel MH (2010) Aerodynamic lift forces on multihulled marine vehicles, International Journal of Maritime Engineering. Transactions. Part A., 152 (2) A41-A50.
- Collu M, Patel MH & Trarieux F (2010) The longitudinal static stability of an aerodynamically alleviated marine vehicle, a mathematical model, Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 466 (2116) 1055-1075.
- Borg M, Manuel L, Collu M & Liu J (2015) Long-term global performance analysis of a vertical-axis wind turbine supported on a semi-submersible floating platform. In: 34th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, ASME 2015 (OMAE2015), St. John’s, 31 May - 5 June 2015.
- Borg M & Collu M (2014) A comparison on the dynamics of a floating vertical axis wind turbine on three different floating support structures. In: EERA DeepWind 2014, 11th Deep Sea Offshore Wind R&D Conference, Trondheim, 22-24 January 2014.
- Borg M, Wang K, Collu M & Moan T (2014) A comparison of two coupled model of dynamics for offshore floating vertical axis wind turbines (VAWT). In: International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, 2014 (OMAE 2014) (San Francisco), San Francisco, 8 June 2014.
- Collu M, Borg M, Shires A, Rizzo FN & Lupi E (2014) FloVAWT: Further progresses on the development of a coupled model of dynamics for floating offshore vawts. In: 32nd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, ASME 2013 (OMAE2013), Nantes, 9-14 June 2013.
- Shires A, Collu M & Borg M (2013) FloVAWT: Progress on the development of a coupled model of dynamics for floating offshore vertical axis wind turbines. In: 23rd international offshore and polar engineering conference (ISOPE 2013), Anchorage, AK, 30 June 2013.
- Collu M, Borg M, Shires A & Brennan FP (2013) FloVAWT: Progress on the development of a coupled model of dynamics for floating offshore vertical axis wind turbines. In: 32nd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, ASME 2013 (OMAE2013), Nantes, 9-14 June 2013.
- Borg M, Ortigado EU, Collu M & Brennan FP (2013) Passive damping systems for floating vertical axis wind turbines analysis. In: European Wind Energy Conference and Exhibition 2013, Vienna, 3 February 2013.
- Collu Maurizio, Brennan Feargal P. & Patel Minoo H. (2013) Nova project: lessons learnt during the conceptual phase of the design of a floating support structure for an offshore vertical axis wind turbine. In: 31st International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, ASME 2012 (OMAE2012), Rio de Janeiro, 1-6 July 2012.
- Borg M, Collu M & Brennan FP (2012) Offshore floating vertical axis wind turbines: Advantages, disadvantages, and dynamics modelling state of the art. In: Marine & Offshore Renewable Energy, London, 26 September 2012.
- Collu M, Brennan FP & Patel MH (2012) NOVA project: Lessons learnt during the conceptual phase of the design of a floating support structure for an offshore vertical axis wind turbine. In: ASME 2012 31st International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, (OMAE2012), Rio de Janeiro, 1 July 2012.
- Kolios A, Collu M, Chahardehi A, Brennan FP & Patel MH (2010) A multi-criteria decision making method to compare support structures for offshore wind turbines. In: European Wind Energy Conference and Exhibition 2010, (EWEC 2010), Warsaw, 20 April 2010.
- Collu M, Kolios AJ, Chahardehi A & Brennan F (2010) A comparison between the preliminary design studies of a fixed and a floating support structure for a 5 MW offshore wind turbine in the north sea. In: Marine renewable and offshore wind energy: developments in wind, wave, tidal and current technology, 2010, London, 21 April 2010.
- Kolios AJ, Collu M & Brennan FP (2010) Reliability of floating foundation concepts for vertical axis wind turbines. In: The 11th International Symposium on Practical Design of Ships and Other Floating Structures (PRADS 2010), Rio de Janeiro, 19 September 2010.
- Collu M, Williams A, Williams A, Patel M & Trarieux F (2009) Aerodynamically Alleviated Marine Vehicles (AAMV): Development of a Mathematical Framework to Design High Speed Marine Vehicles with Aerodynamic Surfaces. In: 9th Internationnal Conference on High Performance Marine Vessels, 2009 (HPMV 09), Shanghai, 17 April 2009.
- Collu M, Patel MH & Trarieux F (2008) A mathematical model to analyze the static stability of hybrid (aero-hydrodynamically supported) vehicles. In: 8th Symposium on High Speed Marine Vehicles, HSMV 2008, Naples, 21-23 May 2008.
- Collu Maurizio, Patel Minoo H & Trarieux Florent (2008) High Speed Marine Vehicles With Aerodynamic Surfaces: Development of a Dynamic Model for a Novel Configuration.. In: Cranfield Multi-Strand Conference, Cranfield, UK, 6 May 2008.
- Collu Maurizio, Patel Minoo & Trarieux Florent (2008) A Mathematical Model to Analyze the Static Stability of Hybrid (Aero-Hydrodynamically Supported) Vehicles..
- Collu M, Patel M & Trarieux F (2007)
A unified mathematical model for high speed hybrid (air and waterborne) vehicles
- Collu Maurizio, Patel Minoo H & Trarieux Florent (2007) A Unified Mathematical Model for High Speed Hybrid (Air and Water-borne) Vehicles..
- Collu M & Borg M (2016) Design of floating offshore wind turbines. In: Offshore Wind Farms: Technologies, Design and Operation. Chong Ng and Li Ran (ed.), Elsevier Woodhead Publishing, p. 359-385.
- Madugu F & Collu M (2014) Techno-economic modelling analysis of microalgae cultivation for biofuels and co-products. In: Energy Production and Management in the 21st Century, Southampton: WIT Press, p. 1091-1102.