Contact Dr Marzio Grasso
Areas of expertise
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Electric and Hybrid Vehicles
- Structures and Materials
- Vehicle Engineering & Mobility
Dr Grasso graduated in Mechanical Engineering from the University Federico II (Naples) where he also completed a PhD in Engineering of Materials and Structures. Before Joining Cranfield University, he was a Senior Lecturer at Kingston University, University of Hertfordshire and a Lecturer in Solid Mechanics at the Federico II University of Naples. Over the past 13 years, Dr Grasso has been involved in several research projects funded by EU, Innovate UK and Italian Ministries and he has been doing consultancy with several companies in the structural dynamics area.
Dr Marzio Grasso is specialised in structural optimisation and his teaching focusses mainly on structural analysis of metallic and composite structures. Dr Grasso's research interests are in strength of materials under static and dynamic loading, railway engineering, crashworthiness, full-scale testing and material characterization.
Articles In Journals
- Ramji A, Xu Y, Grasso M, Yasaee M & Webb P (2021) Effect of interfacial fibre orientation and PPS veil density on delamination resistance of 5HS woven CFRP laminates under mode II loading, Composites Science and Technology, 207 (May) Article No. 108735.
- Ramji A, Xu Y, Yasaee M, Grasso M & Webb P (2020) Delamination migration in CFRP laminates under mode I loading, Composites Science and Technology, 190 (April) Article No. 108067.
- Pokorný P, Dlhý P, Poduška J, Fajkoš R, Vojtek T, Náhlík L, Grasso M & Hutař P (2020) Influence of heat treatment-induced residual stress on residual fatigue life of railway axles, Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics, 109 (October) Article No. 102732.
- Dertinger SC, Gallup N, Tanikella NG, Grasso M, Vahid S, Foot PJS & Pearce JM (2020) Technical pathways for distributed recycling of polymer composites for distributed manufacturing: Windshield wiper blades, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 157 (June) Article No. 104810.
- Azzouz L, Chen Y, Zarrelli M, Pearce JM, Mitchell L, Ren G & Grasso M (2019) Mechanical properties of 3-D printed truss-like lattice biopolymer non-stochastic structures for sandwich panels with natural fibre composite skins, Composite Structures, 213 (1) 220-230.
- Grasso M, Xu Y, Ramji A, Zhou G, Chrysanthou A, Haritos G & Chen Y (2019) Low-velocity impact behaviour of woven laminate plates with fire retardant resin, Composites Part B: Engineering, 171 (August) 1-8.
- Zhang X, Wang K, Zhou Q, Ding J, Ganguly S, Grasso M, Yang D, Xu X, Dirisu P & Williams SW (2019) Microstructure and mechanical properties of TOP-TIG-wire and arc additive manufactured super duplex stainless steel (ER2594), Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, 762 (August) Article No. 138097.
- Grasso M, Azzouz L, Ruiz-Hincapie P, Zarrelli M & Ren G (2018) Effect of temperature on the mechanical properties of 3D-printed PLA tensile specimens, Rapid Prototyping Journal, 24 (8) 1337-1346.
- Zotti A, Zuppolini S, Tabi T, Grasso M, Ren G, Borriello A & Zarrelli M (2018) Effects of 1D and 2D nanofillers in basalt/poly(lactic acid) composites for additive manufacturing, Composites Part B: Engineering, 153 (November) 364-375.
- Grasso M, Xu Y, Russo R & Rosiello V (2018) Mixed mode fatigue crack propagation behaviour of aluminium F357 alloy, Engineering Failure Analysis, 90 (August) 463-475.
- Grasso M, De Iorio A, Xu Y, Haritos G, Mohin M & Chen YK (2018) Corrigendum to "An analytical model for the identification of the threshold of stress intensity factor range for crack growth", Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, 2018 Article No. 5630862.
- De Iorio A, Grasso M, Penta F, Pucillo GP, Rossi S & Testa M (2018) On the ballast-sleeper interaction in the longitudinal and lateral directions, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 232 (2) 620-631.
- Matsika E, O'Neill C, Grasso M & De Iorio A (2018) Selection and ranking of the main beam geometry of a freight wagon for lightweighting, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 232 (2) 495-513.
- Grasso M, De Iorio A, Xu Y, Haritos G, Mohin M & Chen YK (2017) An analytical model for the identification of the threshold of stress intensity factor range for crack growth, Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, 2017 Article No. 3014172.
- Lanzotti A, Grasso M, Staiano G & Martorelli M (2015) The impact of process parameters on mechanical properties of parts fabricated in PLA with an open-source 3-D printer, Rapid Prototyping Journal, 21 (5) 604-617.
- Grasso M, Penta F, Pucillo GP & Rosiello V (2015) About the impact behaviour of railway fastening systems, Lecture Notes in Engineering and Computer Science, 2218 1307-1312.
- Grasso M, Gallone A, Genovese A, Macera L, Penta F, Pucillo G & Strano S (2015) Composite material design for rail vehicle innovative lightweight components, Lecture Notes in Engineering and Computer Science, 2218 731-736.
- Grasso M, Lenzi L, Genovese A, Macera L, Penta F, Pucillo G & Strano S (2015) Design of composite sandwich shock absorber mounting for an innovative rail vehicle end, Lecture Notes in Engineering and Computer Science, 2218 870-875.
- Grasso M, Penta F, Pucillo GP, Rosiello V & Piscopo A (2015) Structural optimization of a total replacement hip prosthesis, Lecture Notes in Engineering and Computer Science, 2218 1267-1272.
- Grasso M, Penta F, Pucillo GP & Rosiello V (2015) Wear characterization of a coated sintered steel for moulds, Lecture Notes in Engineering and Computer Science, 2218 1047-1052.
- De Iorio A, Grasso M, Penta F, Pucillo GP & Chioccola F (2014) A decomposable freight wagon frame suitable for bimodal transport systems that uses a fast locking mechanism, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 228 (4) 402-407.
- Grasso M (2013) About the preliminary design of a self-aligning energy absorber system for railway vehicles, International Journal of Crashworthiness, 18 (5) 544-557.
- De Iorio A, Grasso M, Kotsikos G, Penta F & Pucillo GP (2012) Development of predictive models for fatigue crack growth in rails, Key Engineering Materials, 488-489 13-16.
- De Iorio A, Grasso M, Penta F & Pucillo GP (2012) Fatigue crack growth simulation in railway axles, Key Engineering Materials, 488-489 407-410.