Contact Dr Maryam Farsi
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x3354
- Email: Maryam.Farsi@cranfield.ac.uk
- Twitter: @DrMaryamFarsi
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/maryamfarsi/
- Blog: https://www.igi-global.com/journal/international-journal-strategic-engineering/175350
Areas of expertise
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Manufacturing Systems
- Product and Service Design
- Structures and Materials
Dr Maryam Farsi is a Research Fellow in Complex Systems Modelling and Simulation in the School of Aerospace, Transport and Manufacturing at Cranfield University. Maryam is a member of Through-life Engineering Services Centre in the Manufacturing theme. Maryam gained her PhD in Nonlinear Structural Mechanics from Imperial College London and her MSc in Civil Engineering Structures from City, University of London. Her current research interests focus on digital technologies and advanced modelling, simulation and optimisation techniques to study complex manufacturing systems and supply chains to enhance long-term productivity, resilience and robustness. Her research includes asset management, uncertainty quantification and decision engineering using a wide range of techniques such as agent-based, discrete event and system dynamics. Her former research work at Imperial College London involved a thorough study of structural mechanics, stability analysis, resilience and structural integrity. The study entailed modelling buckling and post-buckling instabilities in light-weight metallic and composite material structures using numerical (FEA) and analytical (ODE) models. Maryam’s research involved developing a framework for establishing the zone where structural designers need to consider interactive buckling carefully in order to prevent catastrophic failures. Maryam is a member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (MIET) and a Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
List of successfully completed projects:
- Product-service systems and servitisation applications in machine tool sectors (IUK funded - Dec 2018)
- Supply Chain Mapping for ATMP’s Manufacturers (IUK funded - April 2018)
- Through life Cost of a Component (Rolls-Royce funded - October 2017)
- Automation of Cell Therapy Cryo-storage Processes and Future Manufacturing Facilities (IUK funded - May 2017)
Dr Farsi is currently working on a European funded project with Network Rail, UK, investigating the lifecycle cost model and cost-benefit analysis of a certain rail infrastructure. She would continue to expand her research in the area of simulation and optimisation of complex systems and system of systems. She is also expanding her research in the new areas related to the digital twins, artificial intelligence and systems’ resilience using integrated mathematical and computational methods. Maryam is actively involved in teaching, proposal writing and supervising postgraduate MSc and PhD projects.
Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult (CGTC)
Machine Tool Technologies Ltd (MTT)
Thermo Fisher, UK
Articles In Journals
- Daneshkhah A, Hosseinian-Far A, Chatrabgoun O, Sedighi T & Farsi M (2018) Probabilistic modeling of financial uncertainties, International Journal of Organizational and Collective Intelligence, 8 (2) Article No. 1 1-11.
- Wadee M & Farsi M (2015) Imperfection sensitivity and geometric effects in stiffened plates susceptible to cellular buckling, Structures, 3 (August) 172-186.
- Wadee M & Farsi M (2014) Local-global mode interaction in stringer-stiffened plates, Thin-Walled Structures, 85 419-430.
- Ahmer Wadee M & Farsi M (2014) Cellular buckling in stiffened plates, Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 470 (2168) 1-17.
- Wadee MA & Farsi M (2013) Analytical modelling of cellular buckling in stiffened plates. In: Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 4-7 August 2013.
- Daneshkhah A, Hosseinian-Far A, Sedighi T & Farsi M (2017) Prior elicitation and evaluation of imprecise judgements for Bayesian analysis of system reliability. In: Strategic Engineering for Cloud Computing and Big Data Analytics. Hosseinian-Far A, Ramachandran M, Sarwar D (ed.), Springer International Publishing, p. 63-79. Dataset/s: 10.1007/978-3-319-52491-7_4
- Farsi M, Hosseinian-Far A, Daneshkhah A & Sedighi T (2017) Mathematical and computational modelling frameworks for integrated sustainability assessment (ISA). In: Strategic Engineering for Cloud Computing and Big Data Analytics. Hosseinian-Far A, Ramachandran M, Sarwar D (ed.), Springer International Publishing, p. 3-27. Dataset/s: 10.1007/978-3-319-52491-7_1
- Farsi M, Daneshkhah A, Jahankhani H, Hosseinian-Far A (eds), Digital Twins Technologies and Smart Cities (publication Early 2019 - Exact date TBC), Springer.