Contact Dr Maryam Farsi
Areas of expertise
- Manufacturing Systems
- Product and Service Design
Dr Maryam Farsi is a Lecturer in Through-life Engineering Optimisation at Cranfield University, School of Aerospace, Transport and Manufacturing. Dr Farsi gained her PhD in ‘Nonlinear Structural Mechanics’ from Imperial College London in December 2014 and her MSc in ‘Civil Engineering Structures’ from City, University of London in March 2010. Dr Farsi’s main research focus is on complex systems and system of systems simulation, optimisation, data analytics and data visualisation, with application across aerospace, manufacturing, transport, and healthcare sectors. Dr Farsi’s research focus is on dynamic systems and structures modelling, enterprise and supply chain modelling, complex systems simulation, sustainable manufacturing, digital twin; servitization; lifecycle cost modelling; optimisation, and risk and uncertainty quantification with over 25 research works.
Dr Farsi is a member of the Centre for Digital Engineering and Manufacturing. She has supervised more than 40 MSc. 2 KTP and 2 PhD. Dr Farsi is a member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (MIET), Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA) and associate editor of International Journal of Strategic Engineering (IJoSE). Dr Farsi has been involved in research bid development with a total projects’ cost of over £2m, where she was successfully attracted more than £100K income generation as an investigator (PI or Co-I).
Self-funded PhDs and MSc by research:
Complex systems, Enterprise modelling, Service and support chains design, Sustainable manufacturing, Human-AI interaction, Servitization, Lifecycle costing, Digital Twin and Smart Cities, Optimisation.
Funded PhD project:
Intelligent multi-objective optimisation for sustainable servitisation, funded by EPSRC and Siemens Energy.
Dr Farsi is currently the project manager and active researcher in an ATI funded project called ‘Digitally Optimised Through-life Engineering Services’ or TES-Digital. Dr Farsi main research focus is on developing a lifecycle cost estimation model for current and future complex engineering assets in collaboration with Cambridge University.
- Manufacturing Systems Engineering (3 cohorts)
- Through-life System Effectiveness (1 cohort)
- Optimising Whole Life Cost and Performance Management (2 cohorts)
- Principle of Cost Engineering – Short Course (online)
- Enterprise modelling and simulation using AnyLogic
- Agent-based, Discrete-event and System dynamics techniques
- Whole lifecycle costing
- Cost-benefit analysis
Michael Jones: PhD in Automating Data Reporting, Analysis and Corrective Action Systems with Thales UK Ltd (2021 – 2027)
Valentina Futoryanova: PhD in Optimising obsolescence in early design phase using AI and dynamic modelling with Oxford Instruments (2021 – 2027)
Dr ThuBa Nguyen: KTP associate in Servitization optimiser project with Siemens Energy (2019 – 2022)
- Product-service systems and servitization applications in machine tool sectors (IUK funded - Jun 2019)
- Supply Chain Mapping for ATMP’s Manufacturers (IUK funded - April 2018)
- Through life Cost of a Component (Rolls-Royce funded - October 2017)
- Automation of Cell Therapy Cryo-storage Processes and Future Manufacturing Facilities (IUK funded - May 2017)
Aerospace Technology Institute (ATI)
Cell and Gene Therapy Catapult (CGTC)
Machine Tool Technologies Ltd (MTT)
Thermo Fisher, UK
Articles In Journals
- Latsou C, Farsi M & Erkoyuncu JA (2023) Digital twin-enabled automated anomaly detection and bottleneck identification in complex manufacturing systems using a multi-agent approach, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 67 (April) 242-264.
- Zhou H, Farsi M, Harrison A, Parlikad AK & Brintrup A (2022) Civil aircraft engine operation life resilient monitoring via usage trajectory mapping on the reliability contour, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 230 (February) Article No. 108878.
- Fernández del Amo I, Erkoyuncu JA, Farsi M & Ariansyah D (2022) Hybrid recommendations and dynamic authoring for AR knowledge capture and re-use in diagnosis applications, Knowledge-Based Systems, 239 (March) Article No. 107954. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.17814002.v1
- Latsou C, Farsi M, Erkoyuncu JA & Morris G (2021) Digital twin integration in multi-agent cyber physical manufacturing systems, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 54 (1) 811-816.
- Vrabic R, Erkoyuncu JA, Farsi M & Ariansyah D (2021) An intelligent agent-based architecture for resilient digital twins in manufacturing, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 70 (1) 349-352.
- Farsi M & Erkoyuncu JA (2021) An agent-based approach to quantify the uncertainty in product-service system contract decisions: a case study in the machine tool industry, International Journal of Production Economics, 233 (March) Article No. 108014. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.11926425
- Farsi M, Bailly A, Bodin D, Penella V, Pinault P-L, Nghia ETT, Sibson J & Erkoyuncu JA (2020) An optimisation framework for improving supply chain performance: case study of a bespoke service provider, Procedia Manufacturing, 49 185-192. Dataset/s: doi.org/10.1016/j.promfg.2020.07.017
- Farsi M, Latsou C, Erkoyuncu JA & Morris G (2020) RFID application in a multi-agent cyber physical manufacturing system, Journal of Manufacturing and Materials Processing, 4 (4) Article No. 103.
- Farsi M, Erkoyuncu JA, Steenstra D & Roy R (2019) A modular hybrid simulation framework for complex manufacturing system design, Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, 94 (July) 14-30.
- Farsi M, Grenyer A, Sachidananda M, Sceral M, Mcvey S, Erkoyuncua J & Roy R (2018) Conceptualising the impact of information asymmetry on through-life cost: case study of machine tools sector, Procedia Manufacturing, 16 99-106.
- Daneshkhah A, Hosseinian-Far A, Chatrabgoun O, Sedighi T & Farsi M (2018) Probabilistic modeling of financial uncertainties, International Journal of Organizational and Collective Intelligence, 8 (2) Article No. 1.
- Wadee M & Farsi M (2015) Imperfection sensitivity and geometric effects in stiffened plates susceptible to cellular buckling, Structures, 3 (August) 172-186.
- Wadee M & Farsi M (2014) Local-global mode interaction in stringer-stiffened plates, Thin-Walled Structures, 85 (December) 419-430.
- Ahmer Wadee M & Farsi M (2014) Cellular buckling in stiffened plates, Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 470 (2168) 1-17.
- Addepalli S, Namoano B, Oyedeji OA, Farsi M & Erkoyuncu JA (2023) Designing a semantic based common taxonomy of mechanical component degradation to enable maintenance digitalisation. In: 33rd CIRP Design Conference 2023 (CIRP Design 2023), Sydney, 17-19 June 2023.
- Farsi M, Namoano B, Sonmez AN, Addepalli S & Erkoyuncu JA (2023) A robust design for lifecycle cost with reliability analysis integration. In: 33rd CIRP Design Conference 2023 (CIRP Design 2023), Sydney, 17-19 June 2023.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Farsi M, Addepalli S & Latsou C (2023) Design for digitally enabled industrial product-services systems. In: 33rd CIRP Design Conference 2023 (CIRP Design 2023), Sydney, 17-19 June 2023.
- Davies O, Makkattil A, Jiang C & Farsi M (2022) A digital twin design for maintenance optimization. In: 32nd CIRP Design Conference (CIRP Design 2022: Design in a changing world, Gif-sur-Yvette, France, 28-30 March 2022.
- Farsi M, Ariansyah D, Erkoyuncu JA & Harrison A (2021) A digital twin architecture for effective product lifecycle cost estimation. In: 31st CIRP Design Conference 2021 (CIRP Design 2021), Virtual Event, 19-21 May 2021.
- Latsou C, Erkoyuncu JA & Farsi M (2021) A multi-objective approach for resilience-based system design optimisation of complex manufacturing systems. In: 31st CIRP Design Conference 2021 (CIRP Design 2021), Virtual Event, 19-21 May 2021.
- Farsi M & Erkoyuncu JA (2021) An agent-based model for flexible customization in product-service systems. In: 8th CIRP Global Web Conference (CIRPe 2020): Flexible mass customisation, Virtual Event, 14-16 October 2020.
- Farsi M & Erkoyuncu JA (2021) Industry 5.0 transition for an advanced service provision. In: TESConf 2021: 10th International Conference on Through-life Engineering Services, Virtual Event: Host: University of Twente, 16-17 November 2021.
- Farsi M, Mishra RK & Erkoyuncu JA (2021) Industry 5.0 for sustainable reliability centered maintenance. In: TESConf 2021: 10th International Conference on Through-life Engineering Services, Virtual Event: Host: University of Twente, 16-17 November 2021.
- Farsi M & Erkoyuncu JA (2020) Toward an integrated sustainability assessment in through-life engineering services. In: TESConf 2020: 9th International Conference on Through-life Engineering Services, Virtual Event: Host: Cranfield University, 3-4 November 2020.
- Farsi M, Erkoyuncu JA & Harrison A (2020) A super simple life-cycle cost estimation model with minimum data requirement. In: TESConf 2020: 9th International Conference on Through-life Engineering Services, Virtual Event: Host: Cranfield University, 3-4 November 2020.
- Wadee MA & Farsi M (2013) Analytical modelling of cellular buckling in stiffened plates. In: Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 4-7 August 2013.
- Farsi M, Daneshkhah A, Jahankhani H, Hosseinian-Far A (eds), (2020) Digital Twin Technologies and Smart Cities, Cham: Springer, ed. Internet of Things.
- Farsi M, Daneshkhah A, Hosseinian-Far A, Chatrabgoun O & Montasari R (2018) Crime data mining, threat analysis and prediction. In: Cyber Criminology, Cham: Springer, p. 183-202.
- Farsi M, Hosseinian-Far A, Daneshkhah A & Sedighi T (2017) Mathematical and computational modelling frameworks for integrated sustainability assessment (ISA). In: Strategic Engineering for Cloud Computing and Big Data Analytics, Cham: Springer International Publishing, p. 3-27. Dataset/s: 10.1007/978-3-319-52491-7_1
- Daneshkhah A, Hosseinian-Far A, Sedighi T & Farsi M (2017) Prior elicitation and evaluation of imprecise judgements for Bayesian analysis of system reliability. In: Strategic Engineering for Cloud Computing and Big Data Analytics. Hosseinian-Far A, Ramachandran M, Sarwar D (ed.), Springer International Publishing, p. 63-79. Dataset/s: 10.1007/978-3-319-52491-7_4