Contact Dr Mariale Moreno
Dr Mariale Moreno is a Lecturer in Data-Driven Innovation. Since completed her PhD in Sustainable Consumption and Design in 2013, Mariale has specialised in using and refining a mix methods approach to interpret and analyse consumer data from digital and ethnographic sources to enable innovation. During her academic career, Mariale has acquired extensive expertise in implementing qualitative approaches within collaborative research on quantitative data and data analytics. By taking this collaborative approach, Mariale is able to analyse different data streams to identify different user/company patterns, behaviours and preferences relevant to create commercial opportunities and value creation activities within the Circular Economy, the Sharing Economy and/or the Digital Economy; all new forms of economic activities currently considered as trending areas of research. She has led research activities in collaboration with Royal Mail, DS-Smith, Cisco, The Clearing, Philips, ENSO, Walmart and the Ellen MacArthur Foundation to find business opportunities by developing human-centred design interventions. In the past, she collaborated at the CIE-MAP Research Centre, an EUED inter-university research project between industry and academic partners looking at reducing materials and energy demand. She has also collaborated at the Royal Society of Arts and the Helen Hamlyn Centre for Design on topics around behavioural change.
Dr Moreno leads the community of practice in Data-Driven Innovation, which aims to be a pioneer in conducting transformational research and deliver educational programmes that could help organisations to make better decisions through the application of data-driven models that can drive meaningful innovations.
Dr Moreno currently research projects with industrial partners including:
Mariale has been also involved in the development and delivery of research proposals investigating the role of data to create commercial opportunities and value creation. Grants that Mariale is currently working on include:
- Unlocking the Sharing Economy for Royal Mail
- Knowledge base capital tool for DS Smith Recycling division
Networking Value with Armadillo Merino - https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/case-studies/research-case-studies/wool-clothing
Engagement of retail customer in circular economy - Walmart
- The RECODE Network: Consumer Goods, Big Data and Re-Distributed Manufacturing [EP/M017567/1] consisting of five universities and over 15 industry partners, investigating the role of big data in re-distributed manufacturing. See: www.recode-network.com
- Circular 4.0: Digital Technologies to Enable a Circular Economy [EPSRC Network Plus Feasibility Study] an investigation into how data, acquired through the latest advances in digital technologies can shape decisions about the design, manufacture and utilisation of consumer products to accelerate the implementation of more circular approaches in manufacturing. https://connectedeverything.ac.uk/activities/feasibility-studies/circular4_0/
- Circular Innovation and Transformations for Rural and Urban Sanitation (CITRUS)
Ellen MacArthur Foundation
Articles In Journals
- Turner C, Moreno M, Mondini L, Salonitis K, Charnley F, Tiwari A & Hutabarat W (2019) Sustainable production in a circular economy: A business model for re-distributed manufacturing, Sustainability, 11 (16) Article No. 4291.
- Charnley F, Tiwari D, Hutabarat W, Moreno M, Okorie O & Tiwari A (2019) Simulation to enable a data-driven circular economy, Sustainability, 11 (12). Dataset/s: 10.15131/shef.data.8246912
- Bessière D, Charnley F, Tiwari A & Moreno MA (2019) A vision of re-distributed manufacturing for the UK’s consumer goods industry, Production Planning and Control, 30 (7) 555-567.
- Fox S, Moreno M & Vahala P (2019) Innovation symbol systems: multimodal grammars and vocabularies for facilitating mutual innovation knowledge, Journal of Innovation and Knowledge, 4 (1) 12-22.
- Okorie O, Turner C, Salonitis K, Charnley F, Moreno M, Tiwari A & Hutabarat W (2018) A decision-making framework for the implementation of remanufacturing in rechargeable energy storage system in hybrid and electric vehicles, Procedia Manufacturing, 25 142-153.
- Okorie O, Salonitis K, Charnley F, Moreno M, Turner C & Tiwari A (2018) Digitisation and the circular economy: A review of current research and future trends, Energies, 11 (11) Article No. 3009.
- Moreno M, Court R, Wright M & Charnley F (2018) Opportunities for redistributed manufacturing and digital intelligence as enablers of a circular economy, International Journal of Sustainable Engineering, Early online (2). Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.c.3392994
- Wastling T, Charnley F & Moreno M (2018) Design for circular behaviour: Considering users in a circular economy, Sustainability, 10 (6) Article No. 1743.
- Sinclair M, Sheldrick L, Moreno M & Dewberry E (2018) Consumer Intervention Mapping—A tool for designing future product strategies within circular product service systems, Sustainability, 10 (6) Article No. 2088. Dataset/s: 10.6084/m9.figshare.4749727
- Moreno M, Turner M, Tiwari A, Hutabarat W, Charnley F, Widjaja D & Mondini L (2017) Re-distributed manufacturing to achieve a circular economy: A case study utilizing IDEF0 modeling, Procedia CIRP, 63 686-691.
- Jreissat M, Isaev S, Moreno M & Makatsoris C (2017) Consumer driven new product development in future re-distributed models of sustainable production and consumption, Procedia CIRP, 63 698-703.
- Moreno M, De los Rios C, Rowe Z & Charnley F (2016) A conceptual framework for circular design, Sustainability, 8 (9) Article No. 937.
- Dewberry EL, Sheldrick L, Sinclair M, Moreno M & Makatsoris C (2017) Developing scenarios for product longevity and sufficiency. In: PLATE 2017: Product Lifetimes and the Environment, Delft, 8-10 November 2017.
- Moreno MA, Ponte O & Charnley F (2017) Taxonomy of design strategies for a circular design tool. In: PLATE 2017: Product Lifetimes and the Environment, Delft, 8-10 November 2017.
- Okorie O, Turner C, Charnley F, Moreno M & Tiwari A (2017) A review of data driven approaches for circular economy in manufacturing. In: 18th European Roundtable for Sustainable Consumption and Production (ERSCP), Skiathos Island, 1-5 October 2017.
- Dewberry E, Saca L, Moreno M, Sheldrick L, Sinclair M, Makatsoris C & Charter M (2016) A landscape of repair. In: Sustainable Innovation 2016: Circular Economy Innovation and Design, Epsom, 7-8 November 2016.
- Kuzmina K, Parker C, Jun J, Maguire M, Mitchell V, Moreno MA & Porter CS (2016) An exploration of Service Design Jam and its ability to foster Social Enterprise. In: DRS 2016 - 20th Design Research Society 50th Anniversary Conference, Brighton, 27-30 June 2016.
- Okorie O, Salonitis K, Charnley F, Moreno M, Turner C & Tiwari A (2019) Manufacturing data for the implementation of data-driven remanufacturing for the rechargeable energy storage system in electric vehicles. In: Sustainable Design and Manufacturing 2018. KES-SDM 2018. Smart Innovation, Systems and Technologies, Cham: Springer, p. 277-289.
- Moreno M & Charnley F (2016) Can re-distributed manufacturing and digital intelligence enable a regenerative economy? An integrative literature review. In: Sustainable Design and Manufacturing 2016, Springer International Publishing, p. 563-575.
- Piscicelli L, Moreno M, Cooper T & Fisher T (2016) The individual-practice framework: a design tool for understanding consumer behaviour. In: Sustainable Consumption: Design, Innovation and Practice. Audley Genus (ed.), Springer, p. 35-50.