Contact Dr Mahmood Shafiee
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 758326
- Email: email@example.com
- Linkedin: http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/mahmood-shafiee/87/a2a/b76
Areas of expertise
- Energy Asset Management
- Instrumentation & Sensors
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Oil and Gas
- Operational Analysis and Simulation
- Renewable Energy
- Safety, Resilience, Risk & Reliability
- Systems Engineering
- Throughlife Engineering Services
Dr Mahmood Shafiee (PhD, CEng, MIMechE, MIAM, MIMA, MORS, FHEA, PGCAP) is a specialist in the area of Reliability and Maintenance Engineering with more than fifteen years’ experience of research and consultancy in the fields of Reliability Assessment, Prognostic Maintenance, Risk Analysis, Predictive Analytics, and Uncertainty Quantification within a wide range of industry sectors; including energy, transport, manufacturing, automation, healthcare, water, and finance.
Dr Shafiee has been the MSc Course Director and Academic Lead in Reliability and Maintenance Engineering at Cranfield University since 2013. Prior to joining Cranfield University, he worked as a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the field of Maintenance Optimisation at the Department of Mathematical Sciences and the Department of Energy & Environment, Chalmers University, Sweden, where he undertook research on two multi-disciplinary projects about developing predictive maintenance optimisation tools for the intelligent asset management of offshore wind farms and railway infrastructure and rolling stocks. Prior to that, he was a visiting researcher at several European and American universities.
During his academic career, Dr Shafiee has been the Director of a number of BSc and MSc Programmes (including: Risk Management, Maintenance Engineering, Renewable Energy Engineering, Business Analytics, and Supply Chain Management) as well as the leader of several MSc Courses, including Risk and Reliability, Advanced Inspection and Maintenance, and Engineering Asset Management.
Dr Shafiee has been awarded several honours and educational scholarships at the national and international levels. He has twice been awarded Student Led Teaching Awards in 2014 as the Most Interactive Lecturer and in 2015 for the Best Lecture. He was also nominated in 2016 and 2017 as the Best Research Supervisor in the school.
Dr Shafiee has managed several successful bespoke training programmes for other universities and industries. He is currently the Course Director for the MSc on Plant Reliability and Maintainability at the University of Sheffield. He holds several training qualifications from awarding bodies such as The Higher Education Academy (HEA) of the UK.
Dr Shafiee has authored more than 90 scientific papers in top-ranking journals and in major conference proceedings. The total number of his citations in scientific databases exceeds 850, and he has the h-index of 17 and i10-index of 21. His papers have won the best paper award in the years 2011, 2015 and 2016.
Dr Shafiee has supervised 2 Research Associate, 13 PhD theses, 6 MSc group projects, as well as over 40 MSc thesis projects through to completion.
Dr Shafiee has been a plenary speaker and programme committee member of over 30 international conferences. He sits as committee Chair in the European Safety and Reliability Association (ESRA) and is a Committee Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE). He is also an active member of professional societies, consortia, and volunteer organisations such as the Institute of Asset Management, Institute of Mathematics and Application, Operational Research Society, Industrial Engineering and Operations Management and the UK’s Higher Education Academy. He presently serves as an Associated Editor and/or a member of the Editorial Board in several international journals.
Dr Shafiee's research interests include: Reliability Engineering, Risk Analysis, Advanced Inspection & Autonomous Maintenance, Engineering Asset Management, Product Life-cycle Management (PLM), Remote Condition Monitoring (RCM), Life Prediction & Extension, Digital Assets and Data Analytics, Diagnostics, Prognostics and Predictive Maintenance, Warranty and Extended Warranty, Decision-making under Uncertainty, and Big Data in Risk Management.
Dr Shafiee has managed and led - as either PI or Co-PI - several research projects, including:
- Risk-based Inspection and Maintenance Planning of Offshore Wind Farms (funded by EPSRC SUPERGEN Wind Hub 2018-9);
- Analysing the Reliability of Condition Monitoring Technologies for Offshore Wind Foundations under Uncertainty (funded by EPSRC Doctoral 2017-21);
- Optimising the Reliability and Maintenance of New Railway Tracks (funded by EPSRC, Network Rail, DfT and RSSB 2015-7);
- Quantifying the Added-Value of Condition Monitoring for Offshore Wind Foundations (funded by Carbon Trust and nine offshore wind developers including: DONG (Ørsted); E.ON; Mainstream Renewable Power; RWE Innog; Iberdrola; SSE Renewables; Statkraft; Statoil and Vattenfall 2016-7);
- Developing Data-driven Predictive Maintenance algorithms for ATM Network Infrastructure (funded by Santander UK 2016-7);
- Big Data Analytics in Oil and Gas Industry (funded by the Petroleum Engineering Company 2016);
- Optimisation of Structural Health Monitoring Systems for Offshore Wind Farms (funded by EPSRC REMS 2015-19);
- Risk-based Maintenance Optimisation of Train Coaches (2015-2017);
- Designing Decision Support Systems for the Optimal Maintenance of Wind Power Plants (funded by Energimyndigheten 2012-3);
- Degradation of Rails and Wheels (funded by Trafikverket 2012-3).
Dr Shafiee’s research papers have been published in high impact factor journals; such as Renewable Energy, The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, Expert Systems with Applications, European Journal of Operational Research, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, IEEE Transactions on Reliability, Energies, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Ocean Engineering, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, Proceedings of the IMechE, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, Proceedings of the IMechE, Part O: Journal of Risk and Reliability.
Dr Shafiee presents his research findings at conferences organised by the IEEE, European Safety and Reliability Association (ESRA), European Wind Energy Association (EWEA), Institute of Asset Management (IAM), RenewableUK, Operational Research Society (ORS) and, regularly publishes in conference proceedings including: European Safety and Reliability (ESREL), Mathematical Methods in Reliability (MMR), Modelling in Industrial Maintenance & Reliability (MIMAR), WindEurope Conference, IEEE PES Powertech, IEEE Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management (IEEM), The Asset Management Conference, and Condition Monitoring and Diagnostic Engineering Management (COMADEM).
Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
Rail Safety and Standard Board (RSSB)
Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS)
Santander Bank / Produban UK
Rail Research UK Association (RRUKA)
Swedish Energy Agency (Energimyndigheten)
Swedish Railway Administration (Trafikverket)
Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
Makita Electric Company
Petroleum Engineering and Development Company
Articles In Journals
- Bocher M, Mehmanparast A, Braithwaite J & Shafiee M (2018) New shape function solutions for fracture mechanics analysis of offshore wind turbine monopile foundations, Ocean Engineering, 160 (July) 264-275.
- Presencia CE & Shafiee M (2018) Risk analysis of maintenance ship collisions with offshore wind turbines, International Journal of Sustainable Energy, 37 (6) 576-596.
- Tofighian AA, Moezzi H, Khakzar Barfuei M & Shafiee M (2018) Multi-period project portfolio selection under risk considerations and stochastic income, Journal of Industrial Engineering International, Early online.
- Ghosh C, Maiti J, Shafiee M & Kumaraswamy KG (2018) Reduction of life cycle costs for a contemporary helicopter through improvement of reliability and maintainability parameters, International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management, 35 (2) 545-567.
- Animah I & Shafiee M (2018) Condition assessment, remaining useful life prediction and life extension decision making for offshore oil and gas assets, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 53 (May) 17-28.
- Shafiee M & Sørensen JD (2017) Maintenance optimization and inspection planning of wind energy assets: Models, methods and strategies, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, In Press.
- Moulas D, Shafiee M & Mehmanparast A (2017) Damage Analysis of Ship Collisions with Offshore Wind Turbine Foundations, Ocean Engineering, 143 149-162.
- Kolios AJ, Umofia A & Shafiee M (2017) Failure mode and effects analysis using a fuzzy-TOPSIS method: a case study of subsea control module, International Journal of Multicriteria Decision Making, 7 (1) 29-53.
- Shafiee M & Animah I (2017) Life extension decision making of safety critical systems: An overview, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 47 (May) 174-188.
- Finkelstein M & Shafiee M (2017) Preventive maintenance for systems with repairable minor failures, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part O: Journal of Risk and Reliability, 231 (2) 101-108.
- Animah I, Shafiee M, Simms N & Tiwari A (2017) A Multi-Stage Remanufacturing Approach for Life Extension of Safety Critical Systems, Procedia CIRP, 59 133-138.
- Shafiee M, Animah I & Simms N (2016) Development of a techno-economic framework for life extension decision making of safety critical installations, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 44 (November) 299-310.
- Shafiee M & Ayudiani PS (2016) Development of a risk-based integrity model for offshore energy infrastructures - application to oil and gas pipelines, International Journal of Process Systems Engineering, 3 (4) 211-231.
- Shafiee M, Patriksson M & Chukova S (2016) An Optimal Age-Usage Maintenance Strategy Containing a Failure Penalty for Application to Railway Tracks, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 230 (2) 407-417.
- Shafiee M (2016) Modelling and analysis of availability for critical interdependent infrastructures, International Journal of Risk Assessment and Management, 19 (4) 299-314.
- Shafiee M, Brennan F & Armada Espinosa I (2016) A parametric whole life cost model for offshore wind farms, International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 21 (7) 961-975.
- Dinmohammadi F, Alkali B, Shafiee M, Bérenguer C & Labib A (2016) Risk evaluation of railway rolling stock failures using FMECA technique: A case study of passenger door systems, Urban Rail Transit, early online version 1-18.
- Finkelstein M, Shafiee M & Kotchap AN (2016) Classical Optimal Replacement Strategies Revisited, IEEE Transactions on Reliability, 65 (2) 540-546.
- Mondal SC, Maiti J, Ray PK & Shafiee M (2016) Modelling Process Robustness: A Case Study of Centrifugal Casting, Production Planning & Control, 27 (3) 169-182.
- Shafiee M (2015) A fuzzy analytic network process model to mitigate the risks associated with offshore wind farms, Expert Systems with Applications, 42 (4) 2143-2152.
- Shafiee M & Finkelstein M (2015) A Proactive Group Maintenance Policy for Continuously Monitored Deteriorating Systems: Application to Offshore Wind Turbines, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part O: Journal of Risk and Reliability, 229 (5) 373-384.
- Shafiee M & Finkelstein M (2015) An Optimal Age-based Group Maintenance Policy for Multi-unit Degrading Systems, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 134 230-238.
- Shafiee M (2015) Maintenance Strategy Selection Problem: An MCDM Overview, Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, 21 (4) 378-402.
- Shafiee M (2015) Maintenance logistics organization for offshore wind energy: current progress and future perspectives, Renewable Energy, 77 182-193.
- Shafiee M, Finkelstein M & Bérenguer C (2015) An Opportunistic Condition-based Maintenance Policy for Offshore Wind Turbine Blades Subjected to Degradation and Environmental Shocks, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 142 463-471.
- Shafiee M, Patriksson M, Strömberg A-B & Bertling L (2015) Optimal Redundancy and Maintenance Strategy Decisions for Offshore Wind Power Converters, International Journal of Reliability, Quality and Safety Engineering, 22 (3) 1550015-1-1550015-24.
- Shafiee M, Chukova S & Yun WY (2014) Optimal burn-in and warranty for a product with post-warranty failure penalty, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 70 (1-4) 297-307.
- Shafiee M & Dinmohammadi F (2014) An FMEA-Based Risk Assessment Approach for Wind Turbine Systems: A Comparative Study of Onshore and Offshore, Energies, 7 (2) 619-642.
- Chukova S & Shafiee M (2013) One-dimensional warranty cost analysis for second-hand items: An overview, International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management, 30 (3) 239-255.
- Shafiee M, Patriksson M & Strömberg A-B (2013) An optimal number-dependent preventive maintenance strategy for offshore wind turbine blades considering logistics, Advances in Operations Research, 2013.
- Shafiee M & Chukova S (2013) Maintenance models in warranty: A literature review, European Journal of Operational Research, 229 (3) 561-572.
- Shafiee M, Finkelstein M & Zuo MJ (2013) Optimal burn-in and preventive maintenance warranty strategies with time-dependent maintenance costs, IIE Transactions, 45 (9) 1024-1033.
- Shafiee M, Chukova S & Finkelstein M (2013) Optimal upgrade strategy, warranty policy and sale price for second-hand products, Applied Stochastic Models in Business and Industry, 29 (2) 157-169.
- Dinmohammadi F & Shafiee M (2013) A Fuzzy-FMEA Risk Assessment Approach for Offshore Wind Turbines, International Journal of Prognostics and Health Management, 4 (013) 1-10.
- Dinmohammadi F & Shafiee M (2013) A fuzzy-FMEA risk assessment approach for offshore wind turbines, International Journal of Prognostics and Health Management, 4 (2).
- Shafiee M, Chukova S & Finkelstein M (2012) Warranty and optimal upgrade strategy for used systems: An electric drill case study, Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research, 29 (4).
- Shafiee M, Amooee G & Farjami Y (2012) Developing an Activity-Based Costing Approach to Maximize the Efficiency of Customer Relationship Management Projects, International Journal of Computer Science Issues, 9 (3) 221-229.
- Jalali Naini SG & Shafiee M (2011) Joint determination of price and upgrade level for a warranted second-hand product, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 54 (9-12) 1187-1198.
- Shafiee M, Finkelstein M & Chukova S (2011) Burn-in and imperfect preventive maintenance strategies for warranted products, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part O: Journal of Risk and Reliability, 225 (2) 211-218.
- Shafiee M, Finkelstein M & Chukova S (2011) On optimal upgrade level for used products under given cost structures, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 96 (2) 286-291.
- Shafiee M, Chukova S, Saidi-Mehrabad M & Niaki STA (2011) Two-dimensional warranty cost analysis for second-hand products, Communications in Statistics - Theory and Methods, 40 (4) 684-701.
- Shafiee M, Chukova S, Yun WY & Niaki STA (2011) On the investment in a reliability improvement program for warranted second-hand items, IIE Transactions, 43 (7) 525-534.
- Shafiee M & Asgharizadeh E (2011) Optimal burn-in time and imperfect maintenance strategy for a warranted product with bathtub shaped failure rate, International Journal of Collaborative Enterprise, 2 (4) 263-274.
- Shafiee M, Saidi-Mehrabad M & Asgharizadeh E (2010) Developing a trade-off between upgrade action time and warranty length for second-hand electrical components, International Journal of Product Development, 12 (3/4) 336-351.
- Saidi-Mehrabad M, Noorossana R & Shafiee M (2010) Modeling and analysis of effective ways for improving the reliability of second-hand products sold with warranty, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 46 (1-4) 253-265.
- Shafiee M, Saidi-Mehrabad M & Naini SGJ (2009) Warranty and sustainable improvement of used products through remanufacturing, International Journal of Product Lifecycle Management, 4 (1/2/3) 68-83.
- Shafiee M (2016) A Decision Analysis Model for Maintenance Policy Selection in Multi-unit Systems. In: 22nd ISSAT International Conference on Reliability and Quality in Design (RQD), Los Angeles, California, 4 August 2016.
- Animah I & Shafiee M (2016) Development of a Condition Index Matrix to Support Technical Feasibility of Life Extension in the Offshore Oil and Gas Industry. In: Sixth International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management (IEOM), Kuala Lumpur, 8-10 March 2016.
- Shafiee M & Finkelstein M & Berenguer C (2015) On Stochastic Modelling of Maintenance for Continuously Monitored Systems subject to Multiple Degradation and External Shocks. In: Ninth International Conference on Mathematical Methods in Reliability (MMR), Tokyo, 1 June 2015.
- Shafiee M, Brennan F & Armada Espinosa I (2015) Towards Whole Life-Cycle Costing of Large-Scale Offshore Wind Farms. In: European Wind Energy Association (EWEA) Conference, Paris, 17 November 2015.
- Shafiee M, Brennan F & Espinosa I. (2015) Development of a whole life cost model for offshore wind farms. In: 25th European Safety and Reliability Conference, ESREL 2015, Zurich, 7-10 September 2015.
- Shafiee M (2014) An Optimal Group Maintenance Policy for Multi-unit Offshore Wind Turbines Located in Remote Areas. In: 13th International Conference on Probabilistic Methods Applied to Power Systems (PMAPS), Durham, 7-10 July 2014.
- Shafiee M, Finkelstein M & Bérenguer C (2014) An Optimal Condition based Maintenance Policy for Offshore Wind Turbine Blades Subject to Degradation and Shocks. In: 8th IMA International Conference on Modelling in Industrial Maintenance and Reliability, Oxford, 10 July 2014.
- Shafiee M A Joint Redundancy—Replacement Optimization Framework for Offshore Wind Turbines. In: Eighth International Conference on Mathematical Methods in Reliability (MMR 2013), Stellenbosch, 1 July 2013.
- Shafiee M, Patriksson M, Stromberg AB & Bertling L (2013) A redundancy optimization model applied to offshore wind turbine power converters. In: 2013 IEEE Grenoble PowerTech (POWERTECH), Grenoble, 16-20 June 2013.
- Shafiee M & Chukova S (2013) An Optimal Age-Usage Maintenance Strategy for Railway Tracks. In: Eighth International Conference on Mathematical Methods in Reliability (MMR 2013), Stellenbosch, 1 July 2013.
- Shafiee M & Zuo MJ (2012) Adapting an age-reduction model to extend the useful-life duration. In: International Conference on Quality, Reliability, Risk, Maintenance, and Safety Engineering, Chengdu, 15-18 June 2012.
- Shafiee M & Chukova S (2012) Warranty and Maintenance: under-researched areas.. In: 5th Asia-Pacific International Symposium on Advanced Reliability and Maintenance Modeling (APARM), Nanjing, 1 November 2012.
- Shafiee M & Zuo MJ (2011) Optimising burn-in procedure and warranty policy in lifecycle costing. In: 2011 International Conference on Quality, Reliability, Risk, Maintenance, and Safety (ICQR2MSE 2011) Engineering, Xi’an, 17-19 June 2011.
- Shafiee M & Finkelstein M & Zuo MJ (2011) Optimal burn-in time and preventive maintenance strategy for a warranted product with random minimal repair cost. In: 7th International Conference on Mathematical Methods in Reliability (MMR), Beijing, 20 June 2011.
- Shafiee M & Chukova S (2011) Optimal reliability improvement, warranty policy and sale price for second-hand products. In: 7th International Conference on Mathematical Methods in Reliability (MMR), Beijing, 20 June 2011.
- Shafiee M & Chukova S (2010) A Burn-in / Maintenance Strategy for Minimizing Expected Warranty Cost. In: 4th Asia-Pacific International Symposium on Advanced Reliability and Maintenance Modeling (APARM), Wellington, 2 December 2010.
- Soltani, MR & Shafiee M & Chukova S (2010) Second-hand products: strategy for upgrade, warranty and pricing. In: 4th Asia-Pacific International Symposium on Advanced Reliability and Maintenance Modeling (APARM), Wellington, 2 December 2010.
- Chattopadhyay G, Saidi-Mehrabad M & Shafiee M (2009) Determination of the Price for Free Repair Warranty Policy for a Second-hand Product with Considering the Buyer’s Risk Attitude. In: 22nd International Congress on Condition Monitoring and Diagnostic Engineering Management (COMADEM), San Sebastian, 9 June 2009.
- Shafiee M A study of maintenance performance indicators for the European Offshore Wind Farms in Cold Climate Regions. In: European Wind Energy Conference, 2016, Bilbao, 14 April 2016.
- Dinmohammadi F, Alkali B, Shafiee M, Berenguer C & Labib A Failure mode, effects and criticality analysis of railway rolling stock assets. In: Third International Conference on Railway Technology: Research, Development and Maintenance, Cagliari, 5-8 April 2016.
- Enjema EM, Shafiee M & Kolios A (2017) A study on the reliability of oil and gas Blowout Preventer (BOP) technologies under deep-water erratic conditions. In: Safety and Reliability – Theory and Applications, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, p. 346-346. Dataset/s: https://doi.org/10.1201/9781315210469-302
- Animah I & Shafiee M (2017) A risk based maintenance (RBM) interval decision making model to support life extension of subsea oil and gas facilities. In: Safety and Reliability – Theory and Applications, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, p. 76-76. Dataset/s: https://doi.org/10.1201/9781315210469-63
- Dinmohammadi F, Alkali B & Shafiee M (2017) A Risk-based Model for Inspection and Maintenance of Railway Rolling Stock. In: Risk, reliability and safety: innovating theory and practice. Walls L, Revie M, Bedford T (ed.), London: CRC Press, p. 1165-1172, ed. In: Risk, Reliability and Safety: Innovating Theory and Practice. Walls L, Revie M, Bedford T (ed.), London, UK.
- Animah I, Shafiee M, Simms N & Considine M (2017) Techno-Economic Feasibility Assessment of Life Extension Decision for Safety Critical Assets. In: Risk, Reliability and Safety: Innovating Theory and Practice. Walls L, Revie M, Bedford T (ed.), London: CRC Press.
- Shafiee M (2016) Optimum Proactive Maintenance for Critical Infrastructures subject to Multiple Degradation and Environmental Shocks. In: Current Trends in Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety. Kumar U, Ahmadi A, Verma AK, Varde P (ed.), , Springer International Publishing Switzerland, p. 27-37.
- Shafiee M, Brennan F & Armada Espinosa I (2015) Development of a Whole Lifecycle Cost Model for Offshore Wind Farms. In: Safety and Reliability of Complex Engineered Systems. Podofillini L, Sudret B, Stojadinovic B, Zio E, Kröger W (ed.), London: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, p. 1019-1028.
- Shafiee M & Kolios A (2014) A Multi-Criteria Decision Model to Mitigate the Operational Risks of Offshore Wind Infrastructures. In: Safety and Reliability: Methodology and Applications, Leiden: CRC Press, p. 539-547.
- Dinmohammadi F & Shafiee M (2013) An economical FMEA-based risk assessment approach for wind turbine systems. In: Safety, Reliability and Risk Analysis: Beyond the Horizon, Boca Raton: CRC Press, p. 2127-2136.