Contact Dr Mahmood Shafiee
Areas of expertise
- Energy Asset Management
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Oil and Gas
- Operational Analysis and Simulation
- Renewable Energy
- Safety, Resilience, Risk & Reliability
- Systems Engineering
- Throughlife Engineering Services
Dr Mahmood Shafiee (PhD, CEng, MIET, MIMechE, MIAM, MIMA, FHEA, PGCHE) is currently a Visiting Fellow at Cranfield University, where he formerly was the Head of a Research Group and Associate Professor; Director of a MSc Programme and Manager of a Laboratory between the years 2013 and 2019. He also has been a Course Director and Visiting Academic at the University of Sheffield since 2014.
Dr Shafiee has a very strong profile in the management and delivery of engaging teaching and effective learning strategies. He is Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy (https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/) and also holds a Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (PGCHE). During his academic career, Dr Shafiee has been Director of a number of BEng/MEng Programmes, including: "Advanced Mechanical Engineering"; "Renewable Energy " ; "Offshore and Ocean Technology"; and "Robotics". Based on students’ feedback, he has been awarded several prizes such as the Most Interactive Lecturer, the Best Lecture and the Best Research Supervisor of the University.
Dr Shafiee has more than fifteen years’ experience of research and consultancy in different fields of Mechanical Systems Engineering, including:
- Mechanical Design
- Reliability Engineering
- Robotic Maintenance
- Failure of Materials and Structures
- Autonomous and Remote Inspection
- Mechanical Degradation and Life Assessment
- Non-Destructive Testing and Evaluation (NDT&E)
- Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) and Condition Monitoring (CM)
- Digital Mechanics (Digital Twins, Augmented Reality and
Artificial Intelligence (AI)).
He has worked closely with a wide range of industry sectors, including Offshore Oil and Gas, Onshore/Offshore Renewables (Fixed and Floating Wind Power, Concentrated Solar Power, Wave and Tidal), Transport (Rail, Road and Shipping), Water, Space and Aerospace, Automotive (Formula 1 and Driveless cars) and Manufacturing.
Dr Shafiee has an International reputation for his high-quality research, documented by a strong publication record. To date, he has authored 1 book and 7 invited book chapters, received 3 patents and published over 125 journal papers and conference articles. Majority of his research outcomes have been published in top-ranking journals (3* and 4*) and presented at international conferences. The number of his papers’ citations in scientific databases (like Google Scholar, SCImago, SCOPUS) has been growing steadily over the last decade. Up to now, his research papers have received near 2000 citations and he has the h-index of 23 and i10-index of 34.
Dr Shafiee has a very strong track record of developing research proposals and attracting external funding from a variety of funders to undertake research and knowledge exchange projects. He has managed and led several research projects and work packages about designing and developing integrated and intelligent through-life engineering solutions for complex mechanical systems. His projects' funders include EPSRC, NERC, NSERC, InnovateUK, Vinnova, EU H2020, BEIS, Alan Turing, Royal Academy of Engineering, BAE Systems, Bombardier Transportation, Vestas, Vattenfall, Ørsted, BP, Shell, Equinor, Carbon Trust, Catapult, RSSB, Network Rail, etc.
Dr Shafiee has supervised several PhD students, MEng/BEng group projects, and MEng/BEng individual thesis projects through to completion. He has acted as primary supervisor of 13 PhD projects, associate supervisor of 3 PhD projects, primary supervisor of 8 MEng group projects and over 70 MEng individual theses. He also has acted as the external examiner of over 30 research students from different universities, including: Aalborg and DTU (Denmark), Chalmers and KTH (Sweden), Seville (Spain), Grenoble (France), NTNU (Norway), Milan (Italy), and Edinburgh, Salford, Exeter, Surrey, Portsmouth, Strathclyde, Greenwich, Plymouth, Sheffield, Southampton, Aberdeen, Newcastle, Glasgow Caledonian, Sunderland (UK).
Dr Shafiee has a strong track record in disseminating research at high profile national and international conferences, congresses, seminars and workshops. He frequently is invited to speak at national and international conferences and scientific meetings. He has been a keynote speaker and a member of technical committee in over 50 national and international conferences. The conferences in which he presents include those organised by IEEE, European Safety and Reliability Association (ESRA), Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), European Wind Energy Association (EWEA), Institute of Asset Management (IAM), RenewableUK, Operational Research Society (ORS), etc. He is an active member of professional societies, consortia, and volunteer organisations, such as the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) (80276436); Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) (#1100803137); Institute of Asset Management (IAM) (#1034745); Institute of Mathematics and Application (IMA) (#P0040641); Operational Research Society (ORS) (#020889); RenewableUK; EERA JP Wind; Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) (#4592924); and Industrial Engineering and Operations Management (IEOM) (#PS-142-9399).
Dr Shafiee sits on the Energy Committee in the European Safety and Reliability
Association (ESRA) and is a Committee Member of the Offshore and Upstream
Engineering Division at the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE). He also
serves as an Associated Editor and a member of Editorial Board in several
Dr Mahmood Shafiee currently heads the Mechanical Engineering Group and is a Programme Chair and Reader at School of Engineering and Digital Arts, University of Kent, UK. For further reading on his current activities please visit https://www.kent.ac.uk/engineering-digital-arts/people/2948/shafiee-mahmood
Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
Innovate UK [Technology Strategy Board]
Vestas [Wind Turbine Manufacturer]
Vattenfall [Wind Farm Operator]
Ørsted [Wind Farm Operator]
Equinor [Floating Wind Turbine Operator]
Rail Safety and Standard Board (RSSB)
British Steel [TATA Steel]
Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS)
Royal Academy of Engineering
Rail Research UK Association (RRUKA)
Swedish Energy Agency (Energimyndigheten)
Swedish Railway Administration (Trafikverket)
Articles In Journals
- Adedipe T & Shafiee M (2021) An economic assessment framework for decommissioning of offshore wind farms using a cost breakdown structure, International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, Available online 04 January 2021.
- Wordu AH, Tee KF & Shafiee M (2020) Modelling deformation of corroded buried steel pipes and design of protective measure, Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 142 (1) Article No. 011801.
- Shafiee M, Alghamdi A, Sansom C, Hart P & Encinas-Oropesa A (2020) A through-life cost analysis model to support investment decision-making in concentrated solar power projects, Energies, 13 (7) Article No. 1553.
- Shafiee M, Elusakin T & Enjema E (2020) Subsea blowout preventer (BOP): Design, reliability, testing, deployment, and operation and maintenance challenges, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 66 (July) Article No. 104170.
- Adedipe T, Shafiee M & Zio E (2020) Bayesian network modelling for the wind energy industry: an overview, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 202 (October) Article No. 107053.
- Salgado Pilario KE, Cao Y & Shafiee M (2020) A kernel design approach to improve kernel subspace identification, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Available online 27 May 2020.
- Abbas M & Shafiee M (2020) An overview of maintenance management strategies for corroded steel structures in extreme marine environments, Marine Structures, 71 (May) Article No. 102718.
- Elusakin T & Shafiee M (2020) Reliability analysis of subsea blowout preventers with condition-based maintenance using stochastic Petri nets, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 63 (January) Article No. 104026.
- Animah I & Shafiee M (2020) Application of risk analysis in the liquefied natural gas (LNG) sector: An overview, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 63 (January) Article No. 103980.
- Afsahi M & Shafiee M (2020) A stochastic simulation-optimization model for base-warranty and extended-warranty decision-making of under- and out-of-warranty products, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 197 (May) Article No. 106772.
- Pilario KE, Cao Y & Shafiee M (2019) Mixed kernel canonical variate dissimilarity analysis for incipient fault monitoring in nonlinear dynamic processes, Computers and Chemical Engineering, 123 (April) 143-154.
- Shafiee M, Animah I, Alkali B & Baglee D (2019) Decision support methods and applications in the upstream oil and gas sector, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 173 (February) 1173-1186.
- Nnabuife SG, Pilario KE, Lao L, Cao Y & Shafiee M (2019) Identification of gas-liquid flow regimes using a non-intrusive Doppler ultrasonic sensor and virtual flow regime maps, Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, 68 (August) Article No. 101568.
- Koroma SG, Animah I, Shafiee M & Tee KF (2019) Decommissioning of deep and ultra-deep water oil and gas pipelines: issues and challenges, International Journal of Oil, Gas and Coal Technology, 22 (4) 470-487.
- Pilario KE, Shafiee M, Cao Y, Lao L & Yang SH (2019) A review of kernel methods for feature extraction in nonlinear process monitoring, Processes, 8 (1) Article No. 24.
- Shafiee M, Labib A, Maiti J & Starr A (2019) Maintenance strategy selection for multi-component systems using a combined analytic network process and cost-risk criticality model, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part O: Journal of Risk and Reliability, 233 (2) 89-104.
- Martinez-Luengo M & Shafiee M (2019) Guidelines and cost-benefit analysis of the structural health monitoring implementation in offshore wind turbine support structures, Energies, 12 (6) Article No. 1176.
- Shafiee M, Enjema E & Kolios A (2019) An integrated FTA-FMEA model for risk analysis of engineering systems: a case study of subsea blowout preventers, Applied Sciences, 9 (6) Article No. 1192.
- Martinez-Luengo M, Shafiee M & Kolios A (2019) Data management for structural integrity assessment of offshore wind turbine support structures: data cleansing and missing data imputation, Ocean Engineering, 173 (February) 867-883.
- Bocher M, Mehmanparast A, Braithwaite J & Shafiee M (2018) New shape function solutions for fracture mechanics analysis of offshore wind turbine monopile foundations, Ocean Engineering, 160 (July) 264-275.
- Presencia CE & Shafiee M (2018) Risk analysis of maintenance ship collisions with offshore wind turbines, International Journal of Sustainable Energy, 37 (6) 576-596.
- Ghosh C, Maiti J, Shafiee M & Kumaraswamy KG (2018) Reduction of life cycle costs for a contemporary helicopter through improvement of reliability and maintainability parameters, International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management, 35 (2) 545-567.
- Marjan A & Shafiee M (2018) Evaluation of wind resources and the effect of market price components on wind-farm income: a case study of Ørland in Norway, Energies, 11 (11) Article No. 2955.
- Abbas M & Shafiee M (2018) Structural health monitoring (SHM) and determination of surface defects in large metallic structures using ultrasonic guided waves, Sensors, 18 (11) Article No. 3958.
- Animah I & Shafiee M (2018) Condition assessment, remaining useful life prediction and life extension decision making for offshore oil and gas assets, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 53 (May) 17-28.
- Tofighian AA, Moezzi H, Khakzar Barfuei M & Shafiee M (2018) Multi-period project portfolio selection under risk considerations and stochastic income, Journal of Industrial Engineering International, 14 (3) 571-584.
- Animah I, Shafiee M, Simms N, Erkoyuncu, JA & Maiti J (2018) Selection of the most suitable life extension strategy for ageing offshore assets using a life-cycle cost-benefit analysis approach, Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, 24 (3) 311-330.
- Moulas D, Shafiee M & Mehmanparast A (2017) Damage analysis of ship collisions with offshore wind turbine foundations, Ocean Engineering, 143 (October) 149-162.
- Shafiee M & Sørensen JD (2017) Maintenance optimization and inspection planning of wind energy assets: Models, methods and strategies, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 192 (December) Article No. 105993.
- Animah I, Shafiee M, Simms N & Tiwari A (2017) A Multi-Stage Remanufacturing Approach for Life Extension of Safety Critical Systems, Procedia CIRP, 59 133-138.
- Finkelstein M & Shafiee M (2017) Preventive maintenance for systems with repairable minor failures, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part O: Journal of Risk and Reliability, 231 (2) 101-108.
- Shafiee M & Animah I (2017) Life extension decision making of safety critical systems: An overview, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 47 (May) 174-188.
- Kolios AJ, Umofia A & Shafiee M (2017) Failure mode and effects analysis using a fuzzy-TOPSIS method: a case study of subsea control module, International Journal of Multicriteria Decision Making, 7 (1) 29-53.
- Finkelstein M, Shafiee M & Kotchap AN (2016) Classical Optimal Replacement Strategies Revisited, IEEE Transactions on Reliability, 65 (2) 540-546.
- Shafiee M, Patriksson M & Chukova S (2016) An Optimal Age-Usage Maintenance Strategy Containing a Failure Penalty for Application to Railway Tracks, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 230 (2) 407-417.
- Shafiee M & Ayudiani PS (2016) Development of a risk-based integrity model for offshore energy infrastructures - application to oil and gas pipelines, International Journal of Process Systems Engineering, 3 (4) 211-231.
- Mondal SC, Maiti J, Ray PK & Shafiee M (2016) Modelling Process Robustness: A Case Study of Centrifugal Casting, Production Planning and Control, 27 (3) 169-182.
- Shafiee M (2016) Modelling and analysis of availability for critical interdependent infrastructures, International Journal of Risk Assessment and Management, 19 (4) 299-314.
- Shafiee M, Brennan F & Armada Espinosa I (2016) A parametric whole life cost model for offshore wind farms, International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 21 (7) 961-975.
- Dinmohammadi F, Alkali B, Shafiee M, Bérenguer C & Labib A (2016) Risk evaluation of railway rolling stock failures using FMECA technique: A case study of passenger door systems, Urban Rail Transit, 2 (3-4) 128-145.
- Shafiee M, Animah I & Simms N (2016) Development of a techno-economic framework for life extension decision making of safety critical installations, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 44 (November) 299-310.
- Shafiee M, Finkelstein M & Bérenguer C (2015) An opportunistic condition-based maintenance policy for offshore wind turbine blades subjected to degradation and environmental shocks, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 142 (October) 463-471.
- Shafiee M & Finkelstein M (2015) A Proactive Group Maintenance Policy for Continuously Monitored Deteriorating Systems: Application to Offshore Wind Turbines, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part O: Journal of Risk and Reliability, 229 (5) 373-384.
- Shafiee M (2015) Maintenance Strategy Selection Problem: An MCDM Overview, Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, 21 (4) 378-402.
- Shafiee M (2015) Maintenance logistics organization for offshore wind energy: current progress and future perspectives, Renewable Energy, 77 182-193.
- Shafiee M, Patriksson M, Strömberg A-B & Bertling L (2015) Optimal Redundancy and Maintenance Strategy Decisions for Offshore Wind Power Converters, International Journal of Reliability, Quality and Safety Engineering, 22 (3) 1550015-1-1550015-24.
- Shafiee M & Finkelstein M (2015) An Optimal Age-based Group Maintenance Policy for Multi-unit Degrading Systems, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 134 230-238.
- Shafiee M (2015) A fuzzy analytic network process model to mitigate the risks associated with offshore wind farms, Expert Systems with Applications, 42 (4) 2143-2152.
- Shafiee M & Dinmohammadi F (2014) An FMEA-Based Risk Assessment Approach for Wind Turbine Systems: A Comparative Study of Onshore and Offshore, Energies, 7 (2) 619-642.
- Shafiee M, Chukova S & Yun WY (2014) Optimal burn-in and warranty for a product with post-warranty failure penalty, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 70 (1-4) 297-307.
- Dinmohammadi F & Shafiee M (2013) A Fuzzy-FMEA risk assessment approach for offshore wind turbines, International Journal of Prognostics and Health Management, 4 (013) 1-10.
- Chukova S & Shafiee M (2013) One-dimensional warranty cost analysis for second-hand items: An overview, International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management, 30 (3) 239-255.
- Shafiee M, Patriksson M & Strömberg A-B (2013) An optimal number-dependent preventive maintenance strategy for offshore wind turbine blades considering logistics, Advances in Operations Research, 2013 Article No. 205847.
- Shafiee M & Chukova S (2013) Maintenance models in warranty: A literature review, European Journal of Operational Research, 229 (3) 561-572.
- Shafiee M, Finkelstein M & Zuo MJ (2013) Optimal burn-in and preventive maintenance warranty strategies with time-dependent maintenance costs, IIE Transactions, 45 (9) 1024-1033.
- Shafiee M, Chukova S & Finkelstein M (2013) Optimal upgrade strategy, warranty policy and sale price for second-hand products, Applied Stochastic Models in Business and Industry, 29 (2) 157-169.
- Shafiee M, Chukova S & Finkelstein M (2012) Warranty and optimal upgrade strategy for used systems: An electric drill case study, Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research, 29 (4) Article No. 1250023.
- Shafiee M, Amooee G & Farjami Y (2012) Developing an Activity-Based Costing Approach to Maximize the Efficiency of Customer Relationship Management Projects, International Journal of Computer Science Issues, 9 (3) 221-229.
- Jalali Naini SG & Shafiee M (2011) Joint determination of price and upgrade level for a warranted second-hand product, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 54 (9-12) 1187-1198.
- Shafiee M, Finkelstein M & Chukova S (2011) Burn-in and imperfect preventive maintenance strategies for warranted products, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part O: Journal of Risk and Reliability, 225 (2) 211-218.
- Shafiee M, Finkelstein M & Chukova S (2011) On optimal upgrade level for used products under given cost structures, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 96 (2) 286-291.
- Shafiee M, Chukova S, Saidi-Mehrabad M & Niaki STA (2011) Two-dimensional warranty cost analysis for second-hand products, Communications in Statistics - Theory and Methods, 40 (4) 684-701.
- Shafiee M, Chukova S, Yun WY & Niaki STA (2011) On the investment in a reliability improvement program for warranted second-hand items, IIE Transactions, 43 (7) 525-534.
- Shafiee M & Asgharizadeh E (2011) Optimal burn-in time and imperfect maintenance strategy for a warranted product with bathtub shaped failure rate, International Journal of Collaborative Enterprise, 2 (4) 263-274.
- Shafiee M, Saidi-Mehrabad M & Asgharizadeh E (2010) Developing a trade-off between upgrade action time and warranty length for second-hand electrical components, International Journal of Product Development, 12 (3/4) 336-351.
- Saidi-Mehrabad M, Noorossana R & Shafiee M (2010) Modeling and analysis of effective ways for improving the reliability of second-hand products sold with warranty, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 46 (1-4) 253-265.
- Shafiee M, Saidi-Mehrabad M & Naini SGJ (2009) Warranty and sustainable improvement of used products through remanufacturing, International Journal of Product Lifecycle Management, 4 (1/2/3) 68-83.
- Shafiee M (2016) A Decision Analysis Model for Maintenance Policy Selection in Multi-unit Systems. In: 22nd ISSAT International Conference on Reliability and Quality in Design (RQD), Los Angeles, California, 4-6 August 2016.
- Animah I & Shafiee M (2016) Development of a Condition Index Matrix to Support Technical Feasibility of Life Extension in the Offshore Oil and Gas Industry. In: Sixth International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management (IEOM), Kuala Lumpur, 8-10 March 2016.
- Shafiee M, Brennan F & Armada Espinosa I (2015) Towards Whole Life-Cycle Costing of Large-Scale Offshore Wind Farms. In: European Wind Energy Association (EWEA) Conference, Paris, 17-20 November 2015.
- Shafiee M & Finkelstein M & Berenguer C (2015) On Stochastic Modelling of Maintenance for Continuously Monitored Systems subject to Multiple Degradation and External Shocks. In: Ninth International Conference on Mathematical Methods in Reliability (MMR), Tokyo, 1-4 June 2015.
- Shafiee M, Brennan F & Espinosa I (2015) Development of a whole life cost model for offshore wind farms. In: 25th European Safety and Reliability Conference, ESREL 2015, Zurich, 7-10 September 2015.
- Shafiee M (2014) An Optimal Group Maintenance Policy for Multi-unit Offshore Wind Turbines Located in Remote Areas. In: 13th International Conference on Probabilistic Methods Applied to Power Systems (PMAPS), Durham, 7-10 July 2014.
- Shafiee M, Finkelstein M & Bérenguer C (2014) An Optimal Condition based Maintenance Policy for Offshore Wind Turbine Blades Subject to Degradation and Shocks. In: 8th IMA International Conference on Modelling in Industrial Maintenance and Reliability, Oxford, 10-12 July 2014.
- Shafiee M A Joint Redundancy—Replacement Optimization Framework for Offshore Wind Turbines. In: Eighth International Conference on Mathematical Methods in Reliability (MMR 2013), Stellenbosch, 1 July 2013.
- Shafiee M, Patriksson M, Stromberg AB & Bertling L (2013) A redundancy optimization model applied to offshore wind turbine power converters. In: 2013 IEEE Grenoble PowerTech (POWERTECH), Grenoble, 16-20 June 2013.
- Shafiee M & Chukova S (2013) An Optimal Age-Usage Maintenance Strategy for Railway Tracks. In: Eighth International Conference on Mathematical Methods in Reliability (MMR 2013), Stellenbosch, 1 July 2013.
- Shafiee M & Zuo MJ (2012) Adapting an age-reduction model to extend the useful-life duration. In: International Conference on Quality, Reliability, Risk, Maintenance, and Safety Engineering, Chengdu, 15-18 June 2012.
- Shafiee M & Chukova S (2012) Warranty and Maintenance: under-researched areas.. In: 5th Asia-Pacific International Symposium on Advanced Reliability and Maintenance Modeling (APARM), Nanjing, 1 November 2012.
- Shafiee M & Zuo MJ (2011) Optimising burn-in procedure and warranty policy in lifecycle costing. In: 2011 International Conference on Quality, Reliability, Risk, Maintenance, and Safety (ICQR2MSE 2011) Engineering, Xi’an, 17-19 June 2011.
- Shafiee M & Finkelstein M & Zuo MJ (2011) Optimal burn-in time and preventive maintenance strategy for a warranted product with random minimal repair cost. In: 7th International Conference on Mathematical Methods in Reliability (MMR), Beijing, 20 June 2011.
- Shafiee M & Chukova S (2011) Optimal reliability improvement, warranty policy and sale price for second-hand products. In: 7th International Conference on Mathematical Methods in Reliability (MMR), Beijing, 20 June 2011.
- Shafiee M & Chukova S (2010) A Burn-in / Maintenance Strategy for Minimizing Expected Warranty Cost. In: 4th Asia-Pacific International Symposium on Advanced Reliability and Maintenance Modeling (APARM), Wellington, 2 December 2010.
- Soltani, MR & Shafiee M & Chukova S (2010) Second-hand products: strategy for upgrade, warranty and pricing. In: 4th Asia-Pacific International Symposium on Advanced Reliability and Maintenance Modeling (APARM), Wellington, 2 December 2010.
- Chattopadhyay G, Saidi-Mehrabad M & Shafiee M (2009) Determination of the Price for Free Repair Warranty Policy for a Second-hand Product with Considering the Buyer’s Risk Attitude. In: 22nd International Congress on Condition Monitoring and Diagnostic Engineering Management (COMADEM), San Sebastian, 9 June 2009.
- Dinmohammadi F, Alkali B, Shafiee M, Berenguer C & Labib A Failure mode, effects and criticality analysis of railway rolling stock assets. In: Third International Conference on Railway Technology: Research, Development and Maintenance, Cagliari, 5-8 April 2016.
- Shafiee M A study of maintenance performance indicators for the European Offshore Wind Farms in Cold Climate Regions. In: European Wind Energy Conference, 2016, Bilbao, 14 April 2016.
- Animah I, Shafiee M, Simms N & Considine M (2017) Techno-Economic Feasibility Assessment of Life Extension Decision for Safety Critical Assets. In: Risk, Reliability and Safety: Innovating Theory and Practice. Walls L, Revie M, Bedford T (ed.), London: CRC Press.
- Dinmohammadi F, Alkali B & Shafiee M (2017) A Risk-based Model for Inspection and Maintenance of Railway Rolling Stock. In: Risk, reliability and safety: innovating theory and practice. Walls L, Revie M, Bedford T (ed.), London: CRC Press, p. 1165-1172, ed. In: Risk, Reliability and Safety: Innovating Theory and Practice. Walls L, Revie M, Bedford T (ed.), London, UK.
- Animah I & Shafiee M (2017) A risk based maintenance (RBM) interval decision making model to support life extension of subsea oil and gas facilities. In: Safety and Reliability – Theory and Applications, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, p. 76-76. Dataset/s: https://doi.org/10.1201/9781315210469-63
- Enjema EM, Shafiee M & Kolios A (2017) A study on the reliability of oil and gas Blowout Preventer (BOP) technologies under deep-water erratic conditions. In: Safety and Reliability – Theory and Applications, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, p. 346-346. Dataset/s: https://doi.org/10.1201/9781315210469-302
- Shafiee M (2016) Optimum Proactive Maintenance for Critical Infrastructures subject to Multiple Degradation and Environmental Shocks. In: Current Trends in Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety, , Springer International Publishing Switzerland, p. 27-37.
- Shafiee M, Brennan F & Armada Espinosa I (2015) Development of a Whole Lifecycle Cost Model for Offshore Wind Farms. In: Safety and Reliability of Complex Engineered Systems, London: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, p. 1019-1028.
- Shafiee M & Kolios A (2014) A Multi-Criteria Decision Model to Mitigate the Operational Risks of Offshore Wind Infrastructures. In: Safety and Reliability: Methodology and Applications, Leiden: CRC Press, p. 539-547.
- Dinmohammadi F & Shafiee M (2013) An economical FMEA-based risk assessment approach for wind turbine systems. In: Safety, Reliability and Risk Analysis: Beyond the Horizon, Boca Raton: CRC Press, p. 2127-2136.