Contact Dr Luofeng Huang
Dr Luofeng Huang is a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Mechanical Engineering. Being the Module Leader of (a) Engineering Stress Analysis, and (b) Structural Integrity, he teaches Advanced Mechanical Engineering, Renewable Energies and Offshore Engineering.
The research interests of Dr Huang spread across energies, structures, fluids and their interactions, especially for offshore applications. His work has been constantly published by flagship journals of the offshore field, such as Ocean Engineering, Marine Structures, Coastal Engineering and Applied Ocean Research. In particular, he has published in the Top 1 Journal of the general Civil Engineering field (Impact Factor 11.8): Design of the submerged horizontal plate breakwater using a fully coupled hydroelastic approach. He is also actively contributing to Natural Science Research, with strong knowledge of Polar Sea Ice, Ocean Waves and the associated Climate Change, e.g. Fluid-structure interaction of a large ice sheet in waves.
Dr Huang has focused research skills on high-fidelity modelling techniques such as Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and Fluid-Structure Interactions (FSI), alongside lab investigations including structural testing and wave/towing tank experiments. His work has demonstrated high practical impacts, such as helping Indonesia develop COVID-19 guidelines in maritime environments: COVID-19 transmission inside a small passenger vessel: Risks and mitigation, and informing the safe & sustainable operation of Arctic ships: Ship resistance when operating in floating ice floes: Derivation, validation, and application of an empirical equation.
Prior to Cranfield, Dr Huang completed MSc, PhD and Postdoc at University College London (UCL). He is the only person who has won the UCL Research-Led Initiative Award three years in a row (2018-2020), and he chaired three international conferences, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd "UCL OpenFOAM Workshop", with a YouTube channel established for online teaching purposes: UCL OpenFOAM Workshop.
Dr Huang is keen on interdisciplinary research, back up by a wide network and trustworthy administration skills. He is always active in discussing research collaborations and potential PhD/Postdoc supervision, and currently has resources and availability to organise both computational and experimental projects; he acts as Academic Lead for Cranfield Structural Integrity Lab and Cranfield Ocean Systems Lab.
Articles In Journals
- Huang L, Igrec B & Thomas G (2022) New tools to generate realistic ice floe fields for computational models, Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, 144 (4) Article No. 044503.
- Huang L, Riyadi S, Utama I, Li M, Sun P & Thomas G (2022) COVID-19 transmission inside a small passenger vessel: risks and mitigation, Ocean Engineering, 255 (July) Article No. 111486.
- Li F & Huang L (2022) A review of computational simulation methods for a ship advancing in broken ice, Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, 10 (2) Article No. 165.
- Ryan C, Huang L, Li Z, Ringsberg JW & Thomas G (2021) An Arctic ship performance model for sea routes in ice-infested waters, Applied Ocean Research, 117 Article No. 102950.
- Huang L, Li M, Romu T, Dolatshah A & Thomas G (2021) Simulation of a ship operating in an open-water ice channel, Ships and Offshore Structures, 16 (4) 353-362.
- Pena B & Huang L (2021) Wave-GAN: A deep learning approach for the prediction of nonlinear regular wave loads and run-up on a fixed cylinder, Coastal Engineering, 167 Article No. 103902.
- Huang L, Li Z, Ryan C, Ringsberg JW, Pena B, Li M, Ding L & Thomas G (2021) Ship resistance when operating in floating ice floes: Derivation, validation, and application of an empirical equation, Marine Structures, 79 Article No. 103057.
- Rehman FU, Huang L, Anderlini E & Thomas G (2021) Hydrodynamic modelling for a transportation system of two unmanned underwater vehicles: semi-empirical, numerical and experimental analyses, Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, 9 (5) Article No. 500.
- Huang L & Li Y (2021) Design of the submerged horizontal plate breakwater using a fully coupled hydroelastic approach, Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Available online 02 November 2021 (7).
- Huang L, Tavakoli S, Li M, Dolatshah A, Pena B, Ding B & Dashtimanesh A (2021) CFD analyses on the water entry process of a freefall lifeboat, Ocean Engineering, 232 Article No. 109115.
- Pena B & Huang L (2021) A review on the turbulence modelling strategy for ship hydrodynamic simulations, Ocean Engineering, 241 Article No. 110082.
- Li Z, Ryan C, Huang L, Ding L, Ringsberg JW & Thomas G (2021) A comparison of two ship performance models against full-scale measurements on a cargo ship on the Northern Sea Route, Ships and Offshore Structures, 16 (Sup 1) 237-244.
- Benites-Munoz D, Huang L, Anderlini E, Marín-Lopez JR & Thomas G (2020) Hydrodynamic modelling of an oscillating wave surge converter including power take-off, Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, 8 (10) Article No. 771.
- Khojasteh D, Tavakoli S, Dashtimanesh A, Dolatshah A, Huang L, Glamore W, Sadat-Noori M & Iglesias G (2020) Numerical analysis of shipping water impacting a step structure, Ocean Engineering, 209 Article No. 107517.
- Huang L, Tuhkuri J, Igrec B, Li M, Stagonas D, Toffoli A, Cardiff P & Thomas G (2020) Ship resistance when operating in floating ice floes: A combined CFD&DEM approach, Marine Structures, 74 Article No. 102817.
- Huang L, Ren K, Li M, Tukovic Z, Cardiff P & Thomas G (2019) Fluid-structure interaction of a large ice sheet in waves, Ocean Engineering, 182 102-111.
- Huang L & Thomas G (2019) Simulation of wave interaction with a circular ice floe, Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, 141 (4) Article No. 041302.