Contact Dr Luofeng Huang
Dr Luofeng Huang is a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Mechanical Engineering, recognised as Forbes 30 under 30 Scientist in Europe. Being the Module Leader of (a) Structural Integrity, and (b) Engineering Stress Analysis, he teaches Advanced Mechanical Engineering, Renewable Energy and Offshore Engineering.
Prior to Cranfield, Luofeng completed his Master, PhD and Postdoc studies at University College London (UCL). He started his academic journey at UCL Marine Research Group and spent several years investigating ships in polar seas with floating ice (ship-wave-ice interactions). In recent years, he has adapted relevant knowledge to the design and operation of renewable energy systems in water, such as floating solar farms, wave energy converters, and offshore wind turbines. He is a Member of the IMarEST, a Chartered Engineer, and a Chartered Marine Engineer.
The research interests of Dr Huang spread across energies, structures, and fluids, especially their interactions and sustainability. He has expertise in offshore and ocean engineering, and his work has been constantly published by flagship journals in this field, such as Ocean Engineering, Marine Structures and Coastal Engineering. Dr Huang has focussed on developing his research skills in high-fidelity simulation techniques, such as Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Computational Solid Mechanics (CSM) and Fluid-Structure Interactions (FSI). Since joining Cranfield University, he has also been leading experimental investigations of the Structural Integrity Lab and the Ocean Systems Lab, including strength, fatigue, elevated temperature tests and wave/towing tank experiments.
Dr Huang is keen on interdisciplinary research, backed up by a wide network and trustworthy administration skills. He is always active in expanding research collaborations and happy to support high-quality PhD/Postdoc applications.
Below are a few highlights of Luofeng's research:
· First author in one of most-cited papers of Marine Structures.
· First author in one of few engineering-based journals that have 10+ Impact Factor.
· First author in research that develops anti-COVID measures for ships (British Council Project).
· First author in research that informs resistance equations and fuel-saving tools for shipping in ice floes (EU Horizon2020 Project).
Dr Huang is currently the Principal Investigator (PI) of the Innovate UK Project - Solar2Wave: Design of Floating Solar Farms to Overcome Tough Ocean Waves. In this project, he coordinates a large team of over 20 researchers from both academia and industry. The project aspires to place floating solar panels in coastal and offshore regions thus saving scarce land and lake space, whilst addressing a key challenge - designing a novel solar farm that can remain intact in the destructive power of ocean waves. This innovation will hopefully be provided as an affordable clean energy solution for remote Indonesian islands, where 1.5 million residents still don't have access to electricity. Solar2Wave has been featured by the BBC and the Energy Institute.
Articles In Journals
- Li Z, Ding L, Huang L, Ringsberg JW, Gong H, Fournier N & Chuang Z (2023) Cost-benefit analysis of a trans-Arctic alternative route to the Suez Canal: a method based on high-fidelity ship performance, weather, and ice forecast models, Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, 11 (4) Article No. 711.
- Ni BY, Tan H, Di SC, Zhang CX, Li Z, Huang L & Xue Y (2023) When does a light sphere break ice plate most by using its net buoyance?, Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, 11 (2) Article No. 289.
- Hu Z, Huang L & Li Y (2023) Fully-coupled hydroelastic modeling of a deformable wall in waves, Coastal Engineering, 179 (January) Article No. 104245.
- Huang L, Pena B & Thomas G (2023) Towards a full-scale CFD guideline for simulating a ship advancing in open water, Ship Technology Research, Available online 17 January 2023.
- Huang L, Igrec B & Thomas G (2022) New tools to generate realistic ice floe fields for computational models, Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, 144 (4) Article No. 044503.
- Zhang C, Zhuang Q, Li J, Huang L & Ning D (2022) Hydroelastic investigation on a pile breakwater integrated with a flexible tail for long-wave attenuation, China Ocean Engineering, 36 (5) 667-681.
- Huang L, Pena B, Liu Y & Anderlini E (2022) Machine learning in sustainable ship design and operation: a review, Ocean Engineering, 266, Part 2, Article No. 112907.
- Huang L, Li Y, Benites-Munoz D, Windt CW, Feichtner A, Tavakoli S, Davidson J, Paredes R, Quintuna T, Ransley E, Colombo M, Li M, Cardiff P & Tabor G (2022) A review on the modelling of wave-structure interactions based on OpenFOAM, OpenFOAM® Journal, 2 (August) 116-142.
- Tavakoli S, Huang L, Azhari F & Babanin AV (2022) Viscoelastic wave–ice interactions: a computational fluid–solid dynamic approach, Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, 10 (9) Article No. 1220.
- Huang L, Li F, Li M, Khojasteh D, Luo Z & Kujala P (2022) An investigation on the speed dependence of ice resistance using an advanced CFD+DEM approach based on pre-sawn ice tests, Ocean Engineering, 264 (November) Article No. 112530.
- Huang L, Riyadi S, Utama I, Li M, Sun P & Thomas G (2022) COVID-19 transmission inside a small passenger vessel: risks and mitigation, Ocean Engineering, 255 (July) Article No. 111486.
- Li F & Huang L (2022) A review of computational simulation methods for a ship advancing in broken ice, Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, 10 (2) Article No. 165.
- Ryan C, Huang L, Li Z, Ringsberg JW & Thomas G (2021) An Arctic ship performance model for sea routes in ice-infested waters, Applied Ocean Research, 117 Article No. 102950.
- Huang L, Li M, Romu T, Dolatshah A & Thomas G (2021) Simulation of a ship operating in an open-water ice channel, Ships and Offshore Structures, 16 (4) 353-362.
- Pena B & Huang L (2021) Wave-GAN: A deep learning approach for the prediction of nonlinear regular wave loads and run-up on a fixed cylinder, Coastal Engineering, 167 Article No. 103902.
- Huang L, Li Z, Ryan C, Ringsberg JW, Pena B, Li M, Ding L & Thomas G (2021) Ship resistance when operating in floating ice floes: Derivation, validation, and application of an empirical equation, Marine Structures, 79 Article No. 103057.
- Rehman FU, Huang L, Anderlini E & Thomas G (2021) Hydrodynamic modelling for a transportation system of two unmanned underwater vehicles: semi-empirical, numerical and experimental analyses, Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, 9 (5) Article No. 500.
- Huang L & Li Y (2021) Design of the submerged horizontal plate breakwater using a fully coupled hydroelastic approach, Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Available online 02 November 2021 (7).
- Huang L, Tavakoli S, Li M, Dolatshah A, Pena B, Ding B & Dashtimanesh A (2021) CFD analyses on the water entry process of a freefall lifeboat, Ocean Engineering, 232 Article No. 109115.
- Pena B & Huang L (2021) A review on the turbulence modelling strategy for ship hydrodynamic simulations, Ocean Engineering, 241 Article No. 110082.
- Li Z, Ryan C, Huang L, Ding L, Ringsberg JW & Thomas G (2021) A comparison of two ship performance models against full-scale measurements on a cargo ship on the Northern Sea Route, Ships and Offshore Structures, 16 (Sup 1) 237-244.
- Benites-Munoz D, Huang L, Anderlini E, Marín-Lopez JR & Thomas G (2020) Hydrodynamic modelling of an oscillating wave surge converter including power take-off, Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, 8 (10) Article No. 771.
- Khojasteh D, Tavakoli S, Dashtimanesh A, Dolatshah A, Huang L, Glamore W, Sadat-Noori M & Iglesias G (2020) Numerical analysis of shipping water impacting a step structure, Ocean Engineering, 209 Article No. 107517.
- Huang L, Tuhkuri J, Igrec B, Li M, Stagonas D, Toffoli A, Cardiff P & Thomas G (2020) Ship resistance when operating in floating ice floes: A combined CFD&DEM approach, Marine Structures, 74 Article No. 102817.
- Huang L, Ren K, Li M, Tukovic Z, Cardiff P & Thomas G (2019) Fluid-structure interaction of a large ice sheet in waves, Ocean Engineering, 182 102-111.
- Huang L & Thomas G (2019) Simulation of wave interaction with a circular ice floe, Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, 141 (4) Article No. 041302.