Contact Dr Luca Zanotti Fragonara
Areas of expertise
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Mechatronics & Advanced Controls
- Safety, Resilience, Risk & Reliability
- Sensor Technologies
- Structures and Materials
- Systems Engineering
Dr Luca Zanotti Fragonara is Senior Lecturer in Applied Artificial Intelligence in the Centre of Autonomous and Cyber-Physical Systems and in the Aerospace Integration Research Centre. He is director of the Applied Artificial Intelligence MSc course since 2019.
His research is focused on machine learning for structural health monitoring, deep learning and system identification. He is involved in a series of high-impact research projects ranging from autonomous inspections of aerospace structures to structural health monitoring for increasing the resilience of industrial plants.
He matured a wide and unique experience working in monitoring problems applied to civil, mechanical, aerospace and space structures. Moreover, his interests in machine learning allowed him to expand his research activities to other areas, such as perception using camera vision systems, lidars, estimation and sensor fusion.
He also carried out research in the area of non-linear dynamics and finite element modelling.
Senior Lecturer, Cranfield University, Centre for Autonomous and Cyber-Physical Systems, Aerospace Integration Research Centre. I am involved in several project linked to:
- Autonomous inspections for non-destructive evaluation of aircraft composite materials (http://compinnova.eu/);
- Multi User Environment for Autonomous Vehicle Innovation (https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/facilities/mueavi);
- Autonomous inspections using drones of composite panels and IRT (MultiAct);
- artificial intelligence for perception, object detection, classification;
- validation of AI models (https://humandrive.co.uk/);
- structural health monitoring for building resilience (https://r.unitn.it/en/dicam/xp-resilience).
- Vibration-based monitoring of CubeSat;
- Land3U (https://www.esa.int/Education/Drop_Your_Thesis/Meet_the_teams_Land3U);
- Condition monitoring of foundation piles;
- Autonomous inspections of metallic panels using drones.
My wide interests are in deep learning and validation of deep learning models, Structural Health Monitoring of Civil, Mechanical and Aerospace structures, Non-linear dynamics, Finite Element modeling and statistical signal processing.
I am involved in MSc students’ supervision during their final thesis, in teaching activities, and research project management activities.
In more detail my major areas of expertise concerns:
- Finite Element modelling: linear, non-linear and dynamic models.
- Machine Learning algorithms: gradient-descent, logistic regression for multiclass classification, clustering techniques (K-means), Neural Networks, CNNs, R-CNNs, Support Vector Machine (SVM), Anomaly detection algorithms, Principal Component Analysis (PCA).
- Numerical methods for Ordinary Differential Equations (ODEs), Volterra series, Associated Linear Equations (ALEs), Differential Algebraic Equations (DAEs).
- Nonlinear System identification algorithms: Unscented Kalman Filtering, Particle Filters, Time-Frequency Instantaneous Estimators, Sigma-Point Filters (SPF), Neural Networks, and Autoregressive models (e.g. NARMAX).
- Dynamic Identification techniques and experimental modal analysis: time-domain methods (Stochastic Subspace Identification, Eigen-system Realization Algorithm, Neural Networks, Autoregressive models), frequency-domain methods (Frequency Domain Decomposition) and time-frequency domain method (Time-Frequency Instantaneous Estimators, Short-Time Fourier, Choi-Williams, Wigner-Ville based methods, Chirp Fourier Transform, Bi- and Tri-coherence transform).
- Nonlinear normal modes and chaos dynamics: shooting methods, arc-length method, pseudo-arc length method.
- Global sensitivity analysis techniques (Elementary Effect, Diffused partial-derivatives, Variance-based methods) and meta-modelling techniques.
- Airbus DS
- European Commission
- Transport System Catapult
- UK Space Agency
- Monitoring and stability evaluation of the Sanctuary of Vicoforte, the largest masonry oval dome in the world, period 2008-2013.
- DPC-ReLUIS 2009-2012 (Italian Network of Earthquake Engineering University Laboratories), Research line n. 9, Technologies for Risk Monitoring and Emergency Management. Line 3.1: Development of technologies for monitoring and management of seismic risk. Task 3.1.3: Monitoring.
- Program for the seismic and static monitoring and control of the Regina Montis Regalis monumental building, period 2014-2015.
- DPC-ReLUIS 2014-2016 (special project “Seismic Observatory of Structures (OSS) and monitoring”).
Articles In Journals
- Civera M, Calamei G & Zanotti Fragonara L (2021) Experimental modal analysis of structural systems by using the fast relaxed vector fitting method, Structural Control and Health Monitoring, Available online 6 January 2021.
- Civera M, Grivet-Talocia S, Surace C & Zanotti Fragonara L (2021) A generalised power-law formulation for the modelling of damping and stiffness nonlinearities, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 153 (May) Article No. 107531.
- Civera M, Boscato G & Zanotti Fragonara L (2020) Treed gaussian process for manufacturing imperfection identification of pultruded GFRP thin-walled profile, Composite Structures, 254 (December) Article No. 122882.
- Jaya MM, Ceravolo R, Zanotti Fragonara L & Matta E (2020) An optimal sensor placement strategy for reliable expansion of mode shapes under measurement noise and modelling error, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 487 (November) Article No. 115511.
- Chen C, Zanotti Fragonara L & Tsourdos A (2020) Go wider: an efficient neural network for point cloud analysis via group convolutions, Applied Sciences, 10 (7) Article No. 2391.
- Mohammadkhani, R. Zanotti Fragonara L, Padiyar MJ, Petrunin I, Raposo J, Tsourdos A & Gray I. (2020) Improving depth resolution of ultrasonic phased array imaging to inspect aerospace composite structures, Sensors, 20 (2) Article No. 559.
- Tzitzilonis V, Malandrakis K, Zanotti Fragonara L, Gonzalez Domingo JA, Avdelidis NP, Tsourdos A & Forster K (2019) Inspection of aircraft wing panels using unmanned aerial vehicles, Sensors, 19 (8) Article No. 1824.
- Civera M, Zanotti Fragonara L & Surace C (2019) An experimental study of the feasibility of phase‐based video magnification for damage detection and localisation in operational deflection shapes, Strain, 56 (1) Article No. e12336.
- Civera M, Zanotti Fragonara L & Surace C (2019) Video processing techniques for the contactless investigation of large oscillations, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1249 Article No. 012004.
- Al-Rubaye S, Rodriguez J, Zanotti Fragonara L, Theron P & Tsourdos A (2019) Unleash narrowband technologies for industrial Internet of Things services, IEEE Network, 33 (4) 16-22.
- Civera M, Zanotti Fragonara L & Surace C (2019) Using video processing for the full-field identification of backbone curves in case of large vibrations, Sensors, 19 (10) Article No. 2345.
- Boscato G, Fragonara LZ, Cecchi A, Reccia E & Baraldi D (2019) Structural health monitoring through vibration-based approaches, Shock and Vibration, 2019 Article No. 2380616.
- Kostopoulos V, Psarras S, Loutas T, Sotiriadis G, Gray I, Padiyar MJ, Petrunin I, Raposo J, Fragonara LZ, Tzitzilonis V, Dassios K, Exarchos D, Andrikopoulos G & Nikolakopoulos G (2018) Autonomous inspection and repair of aircraft composite structures, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 51 (30) 554-557.
- Ceravolo R, De Marchi A, Pinotti E, Surace C & Zanotti Fragonara L (2018) Measurement of weak non-linear response of Kevlar® fibre damaged by UV exposure, Composite Structures, 184 (January) 807-813.
- Golanó PG, Zanotti Fragonara L, Morantz P & Jourdain R (2018) Numerical and experimental modal analysis applied to an optical test system designed for the form measurements of metre-scale optics, Shock and Vibration, 2018 Article No. 3435249.
- Ceravolo R, Matta E, Quattrone A & Zanotti Fragonara L (2017) Amplitude dependence of equivalent modal parameters in monitored buildings during earthquake swarms, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 46 (14) 2399-2417.
- Ceravolo R, Pecorelli ML & Fragonara LZ (2017) Comparison of semi-active control strategies for rocking objects under pulse and harmonic excitations, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 90 (June) 175-188.
- Civera M, Zanotti Fragonara L & Surace C (2017) A novel approach to damage localisation based on bispectral analysis and neural network, Smart Structures and Systems, 20 (6) 669-682.
- Zanotti Fragonara L, Boscato G, Ceravolo R, Russo S, Ientile S, Pecorelli ML & Quattrone A (2017) Dynamic investigation on the Mirandola bell tower in post-earthquake scenarios, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, 15 (1) 313-337.
- Ceravolo R, De Marchi A, Pinotti E, Surace C & Zanotti Fragonara L (2017) A new testing machine for the dynamic characterization of high strength low damping fiber materials, Experimental Mechanics, 57 (1) 65-74.
- Ceravolo R, De Marinis A, Pecorelli ML & Zanoti Fragonara L (2017) Monitoring of masonry historical constructions: 10 years of static monitoring of the world's largest oval dome, Structural Control and Health Monitoring, 24 (10) Article No. e1988.
- Ceravolo R, Pistone G, Zanotti Fragonara L, Massetto S & Abbiati G (2016) Vibration-based monitoring and diagnosis of cultural heritage: a methodological discussion in three examples, International Journal of Architectural Heritage, 10 (4) 375-395.
- Ceravolo R, Miraglia G, Surace C & Zanotti Fragonara L (2016) A computational methodology for assessing the time-dependent structural performance of electric road infrastructures, Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, 31 (9) 701-716.
- Ceravolo R, Pecorelli ML & Zanotti Fragonara L (2016) Semi-active control of the rocking motion of monolithic art objects, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 374 (July) 1-16.
- Boscato G, Russo S, Ceravolo R & Fragonara L (2015) Global sensitivity-based model updating for heritage structures, Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, 30 (8) 620-634.
- Ceravolo R, De Marchi A, Pinotti E, Surace C & Fragonara L (2015) Non-destructive testing on aramid fibres for the long-term assessment of interventions on heritage structures, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 628 (1) 1-8.
- Quattrone A, Matta E, Zanotti Fragonara L, Ceravolo R & De Stefano A (2013) Assessment of structural reliability of bridge beams based on measured symptoms, Key Engineering Materials, 569-570 358-365.
- Ceravolo R, Erlicher S & Zanotti Fragonara L (2013) Comparison of restoring force models for the identification of structures with hysteresis and degradation, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 332 (26) 6982-6999.
- Matta E, Ceravolo R, De Stefano A, Quattrone A & Zanotti Fragonara L (2013) Unscented Kalman filter for non-linear identification of a new prototype of bidirectional tuned vibration absorber: A numerical investigation, Key Engineering Materials, 569-570 948-955.
- Ceravolo R, Matta E, Quattrone A, Surace C & Zanotti Fragonara L (2012) On-line identification of time-varying systems equipped with adaptive control, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 382 Article No. 012038.
- Bursi OS, Ceravolo R, Erlicher S & Zanotti Fragonara L (2012) Identification of the hysteretic behaviour of a partial-strength steel-concrete moment-resisting frame structure subject to pseudodynamic tests, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 41 (14) 1883-1903.
- Zanotti Fragonara L, Ceravolo R, Matta E, Quattrone A, De Stefano A & Pecorelli M (2012) Non-linear characterisation of the physical model of an ancient masonry bridge, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 382 Article No. 12051.
- Quattrone A, Matta E, Zanotti Fragonara L, Ceravolo R & De Stefano A (2012) Vibration tests on dismounted bridge beams and effects of deterioration, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 382 Article No. 012059.
- Chiorino MA, Ceravolo R, Spadafor A, Zanotti Fragonara L & Abbiati G (2011) Dynamic characterization of complex masonry structures: The sanctuary of vicoforte, International Journal of Architectural Heritage, 5 (3) 296-314.
- Ceravolo R, Zanotti Fragonara L, Erlicher S & Bursi OS (2011) Parametric identification of damaged dynamic systems with hysteresis and slip, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 305 (1) Article No. 012050.
- Panico A, Zanotti Fragonara L & Al-Rubaye S (2020) Adaptive detection tracking system for autonomous UAV maritime patrolling. In: 2020 IEEE 7th International Workshop on Metrology for AeroSpace (MetroAeroSpace), Online, 22-24 June 2020.
- Mohammadkhani R, Zanotti Fragonara L, Padiyar J, Petrunin I, Tsourdos A & Gray I (2019) Ultrasonic phased array imaging technology for the inspection of aerospace composite structures. In: 2019 IEEE 5th International Workshop on Metrology for AeroSpace (MetroAeroSpace), Torino, 19-21 June 2019.
- Durrani D, Gautier F, Kersey G, Le Blay C, Ogborne S, Sitepu E, Sanchez JP, Zanotti L & Kingston J (2018) Towards drop your thesis 2018: 4.74 seconds of microgravity conditions to enable future CubeSat landings on asteroids. In: 69th International Astronautical Congress (IAC-18), 2018, Bremen, 1-5 October 2018.
- Weber S, Southgate D, Mullaney K, James S, Rutherford R, Sharma A, Lone M, Kissinger T, Chehura E, Staines S, Pekmezci H, Fragonara LZ, Petrunin I, Williams D, Moulitsas I, Cooke A, Lawson N, Rosales W, Tatam R, Morrish P, Fairhurst M, Atack R, Bailey G & Morley S (2018) Bladesense – a novel approach for measuring dynamic helicopter rotor blade deformation. In: 44th European Rotorcraft Forum (ERF 2018), Delft, 18-21 September 2018.
- Jaya MM, Ceravolo R, Matta E & Zanotti Fragonara L (2018) A resonating lattice TMD to reduce pipeline vibrations. In: ASME 2018 Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference (PVP 2018), Prague, 15-20 July 2018.
- Malandrakis K, Savvaris A, Domingo JA, Avdelidis N, Tsilivis P, Plumacker F, Fragonara LZ & Tsourdos A (2018) Inspection of aircraft wing panels using unmanned aerial vehicles. In: 2018 IEEE 5th International Workshop on Metrology for AeroSpace (MetroAeroSpace), Rome, 20-22 June 2018.
- Ceravolo R, Pecorelli M & Zanotti Fragonara L (2016) Adaptive control of the rocking motion of art objects. In: 5th International Conference on Computational Methods in Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering (COMPDYN 2015), Crete, 25 May 2015.
- Ceravolo R, De Lucia G, Pecorelli M & Zanotti Fragonara L (2015) Monitoring of historical buildings: Project of a dynamic monitoring system for the world's largest elliptical dome. In: 2015 IEEE Workshop on Environmental, Energy and Structural Monitoring Systems (EESMS), Trento, 9-10 July 2015.
- Pinotti E, Zanotti Fragonara L, Jain S, Lunkar V, Bhanu V, Caron S, De March, A, Ceravolo R & Surace C (2014) Non-linear characterisation of kevlar and silicon carbide fibres for structural health monitoring applications. In: 12th International Conference on Computational Structures Technology, 2014 (CST2014), Naples, 2-5 September 2014.
- Ceravolo R, De Stefano A, Matta E, Quattrone A & Zanotti Fragonara L (2013) Model updating of strategic building structures under real earthquake loading. In: 5th International conference on structural engineering, mechanics and computation, Cape Town, 2-4 September 2013.
- Ceravolo R, De Stefano A, Matta E, Quattrone A & Zanotti Fragonara L (2013) Unscented kalman filter for the identification of passive control devices. In: 5th International conference on structural engineering, mechanics and computation, Cape Town, 2-4 September 2013.
- Matta E, Ceravolo R, De Stefano A, Quattrone A & Zanotti Fragonara L (2012) Structural system identification in the presence of resonant non-structural appendages. In: 11th International Conference on Computational Structures Technology 2012 (CST 2012), Dubrovnik, 4-7 September 2012.
- Matta E, Ceravolo R, De Stefano A, Quattrone A & Zanotti Fragonara L (2012) Tuned mass dampers for the mitigation of impulsive ground motions. In: 11th International Conference on Computational Structures Technology 2012 (CST 2012), Dubrovnik, 4-7 September 2012.
- Ruocci G, Degiovanni L, Quattrone A, Zanotti Fragonara L, Ceravolo R & De Stefano A (2011) Experimental testing of a masonry arch bridge model subject to increasing level of damage. In: 4th International Conference on Advances in Experimental Structural Engineering, 2011, Ispra, Lombardy, 29-30 June 2011.