Contact Dr Lounis Chermak
- Tel: +44 (0) 1793 785728
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
- Autonomous Systems
Lounis received an Engineer Degree in Electrical Engineering from Polytech’ Grenoble, France. He then joined Cranfield University, UK, where he obtained an MSc in Computer Vision and completed a PhD in Visual Based Autonomous Systems. He also held visiting researcher positions at the Physiology of Perception and Action Laboratory, College de France, France and at Automation and Robotics Laboratory, European Space Agency, Netherland.
Lounis is a Lecturer at the Centre for Electronic Warfare Information and Cyber.
His research interests include perception, decision-making and mobility of autonomous systems. He specialises in computer vision, sensor fusion, artificial intelligence, robotics and navigation.
Currently, Lounis is leading a research group of postdoctoral researchers, doctoral (PhD) and postgraduate (MSc) research students in various domain related to autonomous aerial, ground, maritime and space system applications.
He is also the head of the Autonomous Systems Laboratory: a 100 m2 indoor facility equipped with several, sensors, ground, and aerial platforms, a motion capture system to support ongoing research applications.
Articles In Journals
- Lee SJ, Yoo PD, Asyhari AT, Jhi Y, Chermak L, Yeun CY & Taha K (2020) IMPACT: Impersonation Attack Detection via Edge Computing Using Deep Auto encoder and Feature Abstraction, IEEE Access, 8 (1) 65520-65529.
- Chermak L, Aouf N, Richardson M & Visentin G (2019) Real-time smart and standalone vision/IMU navigation sensor, Journal of Real-Time Image Processing, 16 (4) 1189-1205.
- Jackson E & Chermak L (2019) PUGTIFs: Passively user-generated thermal invariant features, IEEE Access, 7 109566-109576.
- Kechagias-Stamatis O, Aouf N, Gray G, Chermak L, Richardson M & Oudyi F (2018) Local feature based automatic target recognition for future 3D active homing seeker missiles, Aerospace Science and Technology, 73 (February) 309-317.
- Chermak L, Aouf N & Richardson MA (2017) Scale robust IMU-assisted KLT for stereo visual odometry solution, Robotica, 35 (9) 1864-1887.
- Mouats T, Aouf N, Chermak L & Richardson M (2015) Thermal stereo odometry for UAVs, IEEE Sensors Journal, 15 (11) 6335-6347.
- Chermak L, Breckon T, Flitton G & Megherbi N (2015) Geometrical approach for automatic detection of liquid surfaces in 3D computed tomography baggage imagery, Imaging Science Journal, 63 (8) 447-457.
- Di Fraia MZ & Chermak L (2020) Countermeasure leveraging optical attractor kits (CLOAK): interpretational disruption of a visual-based workflow. In: Technologies for Optical Countermeasures XVII; and High-Power Lasers: Technology and Systems, Platforms, Effects IV, Online only, 21-25 September 2020.
- Di Fraia MZ, Chermak L, Cuartielles J-P, Felicetti L & Scannapieco AF (2020) NAV-Landmarks: deployable 3D infrastructures to enable CubeSats navigation near asteroids. In: 2020 IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, MT, 7-14 March 2020.
- Kechagias-Stamatis O, Aouf N & Chermak L (2017) B-HoD: A Lightweight and Fast Binary descriptor for 3D Object Recognition and Registration. In: 2017 IEEE 14th International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control, Calabria, 16-18 May 2017.
- Wieszok Z, Aouf N, Kechagias-Stamatis O & Chermak L (2017) Stixel Based Scene Understanding for Autonomous Vehicles. In: 2017 IEEE 14th International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control, Calabria, 16-18 May 2017.
- Chermak L & Aouf N (2014) Enhanced feature detection and matching under extreme illumination conditions with a HDR imaging sensor. In: 2012 IEEE 11th International Conference on Cybernetic Intelligent Systems (CIS), Limerick, 23-24 August 2012.
- Chermak L & Aouf N (2014) A Minimax solution for stereo based motion estimation. In: 2012 IEEE 11th International Conference on Cybernetic Intelligent Systems (CIS), Limerick, 23-24 August 2012.