Contact Dr Liyun Lao
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 758266
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Oil and Gas
- Process Systems Engineering
- Sensor Technologies
- Structures and Materials
Dr Liyun Lao joined Cranfield University in 2007 as a Research Fellow, progressing to Senior Research Fellow in 2012, and Principal Research Fellow in 2020. Prior to joining Cranfield University, he worked as research fellow at Imperial College for four years then the University of Cambridge for two years, where he studied the multiphase flows in closed channels. He is a Member of Institute of Physics.
He obtained PhD in Control Science and Engineering in 1998,
MSc in Measurement Sciences in 1986, and BSc in Instrumentation Engineering in
1983, from Zhejiang University, China. After his PhD, Liyun worked as a
postdoctoral researcher in Institute of Mechanics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
in the area of gas/liquid two-phase flows in horizontal pipe.
He is the manager of the Three-phase Flow pilot plant, the largest test facility for multiphase flows in the HE sector in UK.
Dr Liyun Lao is currently accepting applications for PhD and/or MRes students in the areas of:
· Icing, waxing and hydrating management in fuel delivery systems
· Multiphase flow assurance in fuel production processes
· Industrial process infrastructure integrity management
· Process measurement and metrology technologies
· Clean energy
Dr Liyun Lao’s research is on multiphase multi-physics multiscale processes, particularly focusing on the new generation of fuel production and delivery processes, and related industrial systems. This is particularly relevant to the future as we move to alternative and synthetic fuels, for which there are significant theoretical and practical challenges. His research topics are closely related industrial issues such as flow assurance, phase mixing and separation, and process measurement, monitoring and control. He leads a research team consisting of research fellows, PhD researchers, and technical specialists working on flow and energy process engineering.
Currently he works on real-time flow process system integrity monitoring and risk management, e.g. icing management in the aviation fuel systems in commercial aircrafts, monitoring and prediction of material loss and degradation in industrial plants, and environment-friendly assurance in offshore infrastructures.
· EU H2020
· European Metrology Research Program
· Innovate UK
· Rolls-Royce plc
· Aramco Oversea
· Shell Global Solutions
· Airbus UK
· Fluimix Ltd
· EATON Ltd
· Chevron Company
· BPP plc
Articles In Journals
- Xing L, Zhang H, Wang S, Wang B, Lao L, Wei W, Han W, Wei Z, Ge X & Deng S (2023) Pore-scale modelling on complex-conductivity responses of hydrate-bearing clayey sediments: implications for evaluating hydrate saturation and clay content, Geoenergy Science and Engineering, 221 (February) Article No. 211356.
- Xing L, Zhang S, Zhang H, Wu C, Wang B, Lao L, Wei W, Han W, Wei Z, Ge X & Deng S (2023) Saturation estimation with complex electrical conductivity for hydrate-bearing clayey sediments: an experimental study, Journal of Ocean University of China (English Edition), Available online 4 April 2023.
- Osundare OS, Elliott A, Falcone G & Lao L (2022) Gas-liquid flow regime maps for horizontal pipelines: predicting flow regimes using dimensionless parameter groups, Multiphase Science and Technology, 34 (4) 75-99.
- Abbagoni BM, Yeung H & Lao L (2022) Non-invasive measurement of oil-water two-phase flow in vertical pipe using ultrasonic Doppler sensor and gamma ray densitometer, Chemical Engineering Science, 248, Part B (February) Article No. 117218.
- Tandoh H, Nnabuife SG, Cao Y, Lao L & Whidborne J (2022) Slug flow regime in a flowline with U-shape riser, Case Studies in Chemical and Environmental Engineering, 6 (December) Article No. 100265.
- Brini Ahmed SK, Aliyu AM, Baba YD, Abdulkadir M, Abdulhadi RO, Lao L & Yeung H (2022) Comparative analysis of riser base and flowline gas injection on vertical gas-liquid two-phase flow, Energies, 15 (19) Article No. 7446.
- Xing L, Niu J, Zhang S, Cao S, Wang B, Lao L, Wei W, Han W, Ge X & Wei Z (2022) Experimental study on hydrate saturation evaluation based on complex electrical conductivity of porous media, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 208, Part C (January) Article No. 109539.
- Wang B, Huang Z, Xing L, Lao L, Wei Z & Ge X (2022) Quantitative analysis of guided wave in dielectric logging through numerical simulation, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, 19 Article No. 8001905.
- Wang W, Sun H, Guo J, Lao L, Wu S & Zhang J (2021) Experimental study on water pipeline leak using in-pipe acoustic signal analysis and artificial neural network prediction, Measurement, 186 (December) Article No. 110094.
- Wang W, Yang D, Zhang J, Lao L, Yin Y & Zhu X (2021) A dead reckoning localization method for in-pipe detector of water supply pipeline: an application to leak localization, Measurement, 171 (February) Article No. 108835.
- Abbas M, Simms N, Lao L, Malik OA, Syed AU, Ali Sarfraz S, Ashraf L & Rizvi SH (2021) A dimensional metrology-based approach for corrosion measurement of ship grade steels exposed to various marine environmental conditions, Corrosion Engineering, Science and Technology, 56 (5) 448-460.
- Xing L, Qi S, Xu Y, Wang B, Lao L, Wei W, Han W, Wei Z, Ge X & Aliyu AM (2021) Numerical study on complex conductivity characteristics of hydrate-bearing porous media, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, 95 (November) Article No. 104145.
- Wang B, Zhang Z, Xing L, Lao L, Wei Z & Ge X (2021) Integrated dielectric model for unconsolidated porous media containing hydrate, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 59 (7) 5563-5578.
- Wang W, Hao Y, Wu Z, Fan J, Lao L & Chen Y (2020) Dynamic effect analysis of the coiled tubing-in-riser system considering the operation and environmental parameters, Ocean Engineering, 210 (August) Article No. 107189.
- Liu X, Lao Y & Falcone G (2020) A comprehensive assessment of correlations for two-phase flow through Venturi tubes, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, 78 (June) Article No. 103323.
- Lin Z, Liu X, Lao L & Liu H (2020) Prediction of two-phase flow patterns in upward inclined pipes via deep learning, Energy, 210 (November) Article No. 118541.
- Osundare OS, Falcone G, Lao L & Elliott A (2020) Liquid-liquid flow pattern prediction using relevant dimensionless parameter groups, Energies, 13 (17) Article No. 4355.
- Pilario KE, Shafiee M, Cao Y, Lao L & Yang SH (2019) A review of kernel methods for feature extraction in nonlinear process monitoring, Processes, 8 (1) Article No. 24.
- Baba YD, Archibong-Eso A, Aliyu AM, Fajemidupe OT, Ribeiro JX, Lao L & Yeung H (2019) Slug translational velocity for highly viscous oil and gas flows in horizontal pipes, Fluids, 4 (3) Article No. 170.
- Eyo EN & Lao L (2019) Slug flow characterisation in horizontal annulus, AIChE Journal, 65 (10) Article No. e16711.
- Archibong-Eso A, Okeke N, Baba Y, Aliyu A, Lao L & Yeung H (2019) Estimating slug liquid holdup in high viscosity oil-gas two-phase flow, Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, 65 (March) 22-32.
- Eyo EN, Salgado Pilario KE, Lao L & Falcone G (2019) Development of a real-time objective gas-liquid flow regime identifier using kernel methods, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, Available online 22 April 2019 (5) 1-11.
- Zhang W, Webb D, Lao L, Hammond D, Carpenter M & Williams C (2019) Water content detection in aviation fuel by using PMMA based optical fiber grating, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 282 (March) 774-779.
- Inok J, Lao L, Cao Y & Whidborne J (2019) Severe slug mitigation in an S-shape pipeline-riser system by an injectable venturi, Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 150 (October) 299-310.
- Nnabuife SG, Pilario KE, Lao L, Cao Y & Shafiee M (2019) Identification of gas-liquid flow regimes using a non-intrusive Doppler ultrasonic sensor and virtual flow regime maps, Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, 68 (August) Article No. 101568.
- Essien S, Archibong-Eso A & Lao L (2019) Discharge coefficient of high viscosity liquids through nozzles, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 103 (May) 1-8.
- Eyo E & Lao L (2019) Gas-liquid flow regimes in horizontal annulus, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 175 (April) 573-586.
- Mifsud D, Cao Y, Verdin PG & Lao L (2019) The hydrodynamics of two-phase flows in the injection part of a conventional ejector, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 112 (March) 219-242.
- Baba YD, Aliyu AM, Archibong AE, Abdulkadir M, Lao L & Yeung H (2018) Slug length for high viscosity oil-gas flow in horizontal pipes: experiments and prediction, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 165 (June) 397-411.
- Sharma P, Lao L & Falcone G (2018) A microwave cavity resonator sensor for water-in-oil measurements, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 262 (June) 200-210.
- Livinus A, Verdin P, Lao L, Nossen J, Langsholtb M & Sleipnæsb H-G (2018) Simplified generalised drift velocity correlation for elongated bubbles in liquid in pipes, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 160 (January) 106-118.
- Almabrok AA, Aliyu MA, Baba YD, Lao L & Yeung H (2018) Void fraction development in gas-liquid flow after a U-bend in a vertically upwards serpentine-configuration large-diameter pipe, Heat and Mass Transfer, 54 (1) 209-226.
- Li X, Fang X, Lao L, Xu L & Qian L (2017) On-line mixing and emission characteristics of diesel engine with DME injected into fuel pipeline, Thermal Science, 21 (Issue 1, Part B) 627-638.
- Livinus A, Yeung H & Lao L (2017) Restart time correlation for core annular flow in pipeline lubrication of high-viscous oil, Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology, 7 (1) 293-302.
- Kanshio S, Yeung H & Lao L (2017) Study of phase distribution in pipe cyclonic compact separator using wire mesh sensor, Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, 53 (Part A) 154-160.
- Aliyu AM, Almabrok AA, Baba YD, Lao L, Yeung H & Kim KC (2017) Upward gas–liquid two-phase flow after a U-bend in a large-diameter serpentine pipe, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 108 (A) 784-800.
- Aliyu AM, Baba YD, Lao L, Yeung H & Kim KC (2017) Interfacial friction in upward annular gas–liquid two-phase flow in pipes, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 84 90-109.
- Aliyu AM, Almabrok AA, Baba YD, Archibong-Eso A, Lao L, Yeung H & Kim KC (2017) Prediction of entrained droplet fraction in co-current annular gas–liquid flow in vertical pipes, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 85 287-304.
- Jing Shi, Liyun Lao & Hoi Yeung (2017) Water-lubricated transport of high-viscosity oil in horizontal pipes: the water holdup and pressure gradient, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 96 (November) 70-85.
- Lao L & Agunloye M (2017) Physical properties of water-oil mixtures involving waxing, Wit Transactions on Engineering Series, 115 61-72.
- Almabrok A, Aliyua AM, Lao L & Yeung H (2016) Gas/liquid flow behaviours in a downward section of large diameter vertical serpentine pipes, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 78 (January) 25-43.
- Ruiz Cárcel C, Lao L, Cao Y & Mba D (2016) Canonical variate analysis for performance degradation under faulty conditions, Control Engineering Practice, 54 (September) 70-80.
- Aliyu AM, Lao L, Almabrok AA & Yeung H (2016) Interfacial shear in adiabatic downward gas/liquid co-current annular flow in pipes, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 72 (April) 75-87.
- Lam JK-W, Lao L, Hammond DW & Power JP (2015) Character and interface shear strength of accreted ice on subcooled surfaces submerged in fuel, The Aeronautical Journal, 119 (1221) 1377-1396.
- Ruiz-Cárcel C, Cao Y, Mba D, Lao L & Samuel R (2015) Statistical process monitoring of a multiphase flow facility, Control Engineering Practice, 42 (September) 74-88.
- Y. Zhao, L. Lao & H. Yeung (2015) Investigation and prediction of slug flow characteristics in highly viscous liquid and gas flows in horizontal pipes, Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 102 (October 2015) 124-137.
- Zhao Y, Yeung H, Zorgani EE, Archibong AE & Lao L (2013) High viscosity effect on characteristics of oil and gas two-phase flow in horizontal pipes, Chemical Engineering Science, 95 343-352.
- Zhao Y, Yeung H, Zorgani EE, Archibong AE & Lao L (2013) High viscosity effects on characteristics of oil and gas two-phase flow in horizontal pipes, Chemical Engineering Science, 95 343-352.
- Almabrok A, Lao L & Yeung H (2013) Effect of 180° bends on gas/liquid flows in vertical upward and downward pipes, Wit Transactions on Engineering Series, 79 435-445.
- Krima H, Cao Y & Lao L (2012) Gas injection for hydrodynamic slug control, IFAC Proceedings Volumes, 45 (8) 116-121.
- Isaac OA, Cao Y, Lao L & Yeung H (2011) Production potential of severe slugging control systems, IFAC Proceedings Volumes, 44 (1) 10869-10874.
- Lao L, Ramshaw C & Yeung H (2011) Process intensification: water electrolysis in a centrifugal acceleration field, Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 41 (6) 645-656.
- Ogazi AI, Cao Y, Yeung HC & Lao L (2010) Slug control with large valve openings to maximize oil production, SPE Journal -Richardson-, 15 (3) 812-821.
- Xu J-y, Wu Y-x, Shi Z-h, Lao L-y & Li D-h (2007) Studies on two-phase co-current air/non-Newtonian shear-thinning fluid flows in inclined smooth pipes, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 33 (9) 948-969.
- Wu Y, Zheng Z, Li D, Lao L & Ma Y (2000)
Experimental study and simulation principles of an oil-gas multiphase transportation system
- Bassey BO, Verdin PG & Lao L (2022) Examination of non-traditional wax management techniques for flow assurance in petroleum production. In: SPE Brazil Flow Assurance Technology Congress, Rio de Janeiro, 15-18 November 2022.
- Falope TO, Lao L & Hanak D (2021) A unique three-step weather data approach in solar energy prediction using machine learning. In: 13th International Conference on Applied Energy (ICAE2021), Bangkok, 29 November - 2 December 2021.
- Abbas M, Simms N, Lao L, Malik OA & Ashraf L (2021) Environmental impact on the corrosion behavior of marine grade steel in the Arabian Sea conditions - a comparative analysis of field and laboratory based corrosion tests. In: 20th International Metallurgy and Materials Congress (IMMC2021), Virtual Event: Istanbul, 10-12 June 2021.
- Nnabuife SG, Whidborne J, Lao L & Cao Y (2019) Venturi multiphase flow measurement based active slug control. In: 25th International Conference on Automation and Computing (ICAC), Lancaster, 5-7 September 2019.
- Zhou Z & Lao L (2017) Minimum sand transportation conditions in multiphase pipelines: an assessment exercise. In: 18th International Conference on Multiphase Production Technology, Cannes, 7-9 June 2017.
- Aliyu A, Lao L & Yeung H (2016) Pressure gradient variations in gas-liquid downward flows in a vertical large diameter pipe. In: 14th International Conference on Magnetic Fluids (ICMF 2016), Ekaterinburg, 4-8 July 2016.
- Aliyu AM, Lao L, Yeung H & Almabrok AA (2015) A comparative analysis of interfacial friction factor correlations for adiabatic co-current gas-liquid annular two-phase flow in large diameter pipes. In: World congress on mechanical, chemical, and material engineering (MCM 2015), Barcelona, 20-21 July 2015.
- Lao L, Xing L & Yeung H (2013)
Behaviours of elongated bubbles in a large diameter riser
- Zhao Y, Yeung H & Lao L (2013)
Slug frequency in high viscosity liquid and gas flow in horizontal pipes. In: 16th International Conference on Multiphase Production Technology 2013, Cannes, 12 June 2013.
- Wang P, Cao Y, Yeung H, Lao L, Ma L & Gong J (2013)
Modelling and validation of severe slugging in laboratory pipeline-riser systems
- Carpenter MD, Hetherington JI, Lao L, Ramshaw C, Yeung H, Lam JK-W, Masters S & Barley S
Behaviour of Water in Aviation Fuels at Low Temperature. In: IASH 2011, the 12th International Conference on Stability, Handling and Use of Liquid Fuels , Sarasota, Florida, 16 October 2011.
- Lao L, Ramshaw C, Yeung H, Carpenter MD, Hetherington JI, Lam JK-W & Barley S (2011) Behaviour of Water in Jet Fuel in a Simulated Fuel Tank. In: SAE 2011 AeroTech Congress & Exhibition, Toulouse, 18 October 2011.
- Carpenter MD, Hetherington JI, Lao L, Ramshaw C, Yeung H, Lam JK-W, Masters S & Barley S (2011)
Behaviour of water in aviation fuels at low temperatures
- Ogazi AI, Cao Y, Yeung H & Lao L (2009) Slug control with large valve opening to maximise oil production. In: Offshore Europe: Oil and Gas Conference and Exhibition 2009 (OE 2009), Aberdeen, 8-11 September 2009.
- Ogazi AI, Ogunkolade SO, Cao Y, Lao L & Yeung H (2009) Severe slugging control through open loop unstable PID tuning to increase oil production. In: 14th International Conference on Multiphase Production Technology, Cannes, 17 June 2009 - 19 June 2012.
- Yeung H, Cao Y & Lao L (2008) Comparisons between severe slug mitigation methods by increasing backpressure and throttling riser outlet valve. In: 6th North American Conference on Multiphase Technology, Banff, 4-6 June 2008.
- Wong W-L, Hale CP, Hewitt GF, Hu B, Lao L, Lawrence CJ, Mayer P, Parsonage D & Ujang PM (2004) Three-phase flows in complex geometries. In: 4th North American Conference on Multiphase Technology, Banff, 3-4 June 2004.
- Falcone G, Hewitt GF, Lao L & Richardson SM (2003) Anumet: A Novel Wet Gas Flowmeter. In: 2003 SPE Annual Technical Conference & Exhibition, Denver, Colorado, 5-8 October 2003.