Contact Dr Liyun Lao
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 758266
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
- Instrumentation & Sensors
- Oil and Gas
- Process Systems Engineering
- Sensor Technologies
- Structures and Materials
Dr Liyun Lao (BSc, MSc, PhD, MInstP) is a Senior Research Fellow and Recognised Teacher in Oil and Gas Engineering Centre, Cranfield University. He obtained PhD in Control Science and Engineering in 1998, MSc in Measurement Sciences in 1986, and BSc in Instrumentation Engineering in 1983, from Zhejiang University, China. After his PhD, Dr. Lao worked as a postdoctoral researcher in Institute of Mechanics, Chinese Academy of Sciences in the area of gas/liquid two-phase flows in horizontal pipe. Prior to joining Cranfield University, he worked in area of two-phase flows in vertical pipes for six years at Imperial College and University of Cambridge. He is a Member of Institute of Physics.
Dr Lao’s research interests are experimental fluid dynamics of multiphase flow systems. He has been actively involved in a number of research projects, e.g. Severe slug controls in oil/gas pipelines (TSB funded), Annular flows in serpentine pipes (Shell Ltd funded), Enhanced hydrogen production using process intensification techniques (EPSRC funded) and Water management in aviation fuel systems (EADS funded). He had led Europe and Airbus funded projects in the area of icing in aviation fuels. He also played a leading role in the EU funded Safuel (The Safer Fuel System) project. Currently he leads a number of research projects in related to the fuel testing, multiphase flow metering, liquid/liquid separation, and wet gas meter testing.
He was the academic supervisor of a government funded KTP project in the area of oil/water separation. He has supervised MSc and PhD students through to completion, and he is currently supervising a number of Ph D research students. He is also the coordinator of MSc modules in the area of process measurement, multiphase flows and production technology.
He is the manager of the Three-phase Flow rig, the largest test facility for multiphase flows in the HE sector in UK.
- Mixing and separation in multiphase flows in oil and gas industry
- Icing process in aviation fuel systems
- Gas liquid flows in complex geometries
- Multiphase flow metering technologies
- Management of the Three-phase Flow Test rig
- Supervision of PhD and MSc research students
- Leader of MSc modules of Process Measurement Systems, Multiphase Flows, and Production Technology
- Shell Global Solutions
- Airbus UK
- Fluimix Ltd
- European Metrology Research Program
- EATON Ltd
- Chevron Company
Articles In Journals
- Eyo E & Lao L (2019) Gas-liquid flow regimes in horizontal annulus, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 175 (April) 573-586.
- Mifsud D, Cao Y, Verdin PG & Lao L (2019) The hydrodynamics of two-phase flows in the injection part of a conventional ejector, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 112 (March 2019) 219-242.
- Essien S, Archibong-Eso A & Lao L (2019) Discharge coefficient of high viscosity liquids through nozzles, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 103 (May) 1-8.
- Archibong-Eso A, Okeke N, Baba Y, Aliyu A, Lao L & Yeung H (2019) Estimating slug liquid holdup in high viscosity oil-gas two-phase flow, Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, 65 (March) 22-32.
- Zhang W, Webb D, Lao L, Hammond D, Carpenter M & Williams C (2019) Water content detection in aviation fuel by using PMMA based optical fiber grating, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 282 (1 March) 774-779.
- Almabrok AA, Aliyu MA, Baba YD, Lao L & Yeung H (2018) Void fraction development in gas-liquid flow after a U-bend in a vertically upwards serpentine-configuration large-diameter pipe, Heat and Mass Transfer, 54 (1) 209-226.
- Livinus A, Verdin P, Lao L, Nossen J, Langsholtb M & Sleipnæsb H-G (2018) Simplified generalised drift velocity correlation for elongated bubbles in liquid in pipes, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 160 (January) 106-118.
- Sharma P, Lao L & Falcone G (2018) A microwave cavity resonator sensor for water-in-oil measurements, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 262 (June) 200-210.
- Baba YD, Aliyu AM, Archibong AE, Abdulkadir M, Lao L & Yeung H (2018) Slug length for high viscosity oil-gas flow in horizontal pipes: Experiments and prediction, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, In press.
- Livinus A, Yeung H & Lao L (2017) Restart time correlation for core annular flow in pipeline lubrication of high-viscous oil, Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology, 7 (1) 293-302.
- Kanshio S, Yeung H & Lao L (2017) Study of phase distribution in pipe cyclonic compact separator using wire mesh sensor, Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, 53 (Part A) 154-160.
- Aliyu AM, Almabrok AA, Baba YD, Lao L, Yeung H & Kim KC (2017) Upward gas–liquid two-phase flow after a U-bend in a large-diameter serpentine pipe, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 108 (A) 784-800.
- Li X, Fang X, Lao L, Xu L & Qian L (2017) On-line mixing and emission characteristics of diesel engine with DME injected into fuel pipeline, Thermal Science, 21 (Issue 1, Part B) 627-638.
- Aliyu AM, Baba YD, Lao L, Yeung H & Kim KC (2017) Interfacial friction in upward annular gas–liquid two-phase flow in pipes, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 84 90-109.
- Aliyu AM, Almabrok AA, Baba YD, Archibong-Eso A, Lao L, Yeung H & Kim KC (2017) Prediction of entrained droplet fraction in co-current annular gas–liquid flow in vertical pipes, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 85 287-304.
- Jing Shi, Liyun Lao & Hoi Yeung (2017) Water-lubricated transport of high-viscosity oil in horizontal pipes: the water holdup and pressure gradient, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 96 (November) 70-85.
- Lao L & Agunloye M (2017) Physical properties of water-oil mixtures involving waxing, Wit Transactions on Engineering Series, 115 61-72.
- Almabrok A, Aliyua AM, Lao L & Yeung H (2016) Gas/liquid flow behaviours in a downward section of large diameter vertical serpentine pipes, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 78 (January) 25-43.
- Ruiz Cárcel C, Lao L, Cao Y & Mba D (2016) Canonical variate analysis for performance degradation under faulty conditions, Control Engineering Practice, 54 (September) 70-80.
- Aliyu AM, Lao L, Almabrok AA & Yeung H (2016) Interfacial shear in adiabatic downward gas/liquid co-current annular flow in pipes, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 72 (April) 75-87.
- Ruiz-Cárcel C, Cao Y, Mba D, Lao L & Samuel R (2015) Statistical process monitoring of a multiphase flow facility, Control Engineering Practice, 42 (September) 74-88.
- Y. Zhao, L. Lao & H. Yeung (2015) Investigation and prediction of slug flow characteristics in highly viscous liquid and gas flows in horizontal pipes, Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 102 (October 2015) 124-137.
- Lam JK-W, Lao L, Hammond DW & Power JP (2015) Character and interface shear strength of accreted ice on subcooled surfaces submerged in fuel, The Aeronautical Journal, 119 (1221) 1377-1396.
- Zhao Y, Yeung H, Zorgani EE, Archibong AE & Lao L (2013) High viscosity effect on characteristics of oil and gas two-phase flow in horizontal pipes, Chemical Engineering Science, 95 343-352.
- Zhao Y, Yeung H, Zorgani EE, Archibong AE & Lao L (2013) High viscosity effects on characteristics of oil and gas two-phase flow in horizontal pipes, Chemical Engineering Science, 95 343-352.
- Almabrok A, Lao L & Yeung H (2013) Effect of 180° bends on gas/liquid flows in vertical upward and downward pipes, Wit Transactions on Engineering Series, 79 435-445.
- Lao L, Ramshaw C & Yeung H (2011) Process intensification: water electrolysis in a centrifugal acceleration field, Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 41 (6) 645-656.
- Ogazi AI, Cao Y, Lao LY & Yeung H (2011) Production potential of severe slugging control systems, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 44 (1) 10869-10874.
- Ogazi AI, Cao Y, Yeung HC & Lao L (2010) Slug control with large valve openings to maximize oil production, SPE Journal -Richardson-, 15 (3) 812-821.
- Xu J-y, Wu Y-x, Shi Z-h, Lao L-y & Li D-h (2007) Studies on two-phase co-current air/non-Newtonian shear-thinning fluid flows in inclined smooth pipes, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 33 (9) 948-969.
- Wu Y, Zheng Z, Li D, Lao L & Ma Y (2000)
Experimental study and simulation principles of an oil-gas multiphase transportation system
- Zhou Z & Lao L (2017) Minimum sand transportation conditions in multiphase pipelines: an assessment exercise. In: 18th International Conference on Multiphase Production Technology, Cannes, 7-9 June 2017.
- Aliyu A, Lao L & Yeung H (2016) Pressure gradient variations in gas-liquid downward flows in a vertical large diameter pipe. In: 14th International Conference on Magnetic Fluids (ICMF 2016), Ekaterinburg, 4-8 July 2016.
- Lao L, Xing L & Yeung H (2013)
Behaviours of elongated bubbles in a large diameter riser
- Zhao Y, Yeung H & Lao L (2013)
Slug frequency in high viscosity liquid and gas flow in horizontal pipes. In: 16th International Conference on Multiphase Production Technology 2013, Cannes, 12 June 2013.
- Wang P, Cao Y, Yeung H, Lao L, Ma L & Gong J (2013)
Modelling and validation of severe slugging in laboratory pipeline-riser systems
- Krima H, Cao Y & Lao L (2012) Gas injection for hydrodynamic slug control. In: 2012 IFAC Workshop on Automatic Control in Offshore Oil and Gas Production, Trondheim, 31 May - 1 June 2012.
- Carpenter MD, Hetherington JI, Lao L, Ramshaw C, Yeung H, Lam JK-W, Masters S & Barley S
Behaviour of Water in Aviation Fuels at Low Temperature. In: IASH 2011, the 12th International Conference on Stability, Handling and Use of Liquid Fuels , Sarasota, Florida, 16 October 2011.
- Lao L, Ramshaw C, Yeung H, Carpenter MD, Hetherington JI, Lam JK-W & Barley S (2011) Behaviour of Water in Jet Fuel in a Simulated Fuel Tank. In: SAE 2011 AeroTech Congress & Exhibition, Toulouse, 18 October 2011.
- Carpenter MD, Hetherington JI, Lao L, Ramshaw C, Yeung H, Lam JK-W, Masters S & Barley S (2011)
Behaviour of water in aviation fuels at low temperatures
- Isaac OA, Cao Y, Lao L & Yeung H (2011) Production potential of severe slugging control systems. In: 18th IFAC World Congress, 2011, Milan, 28 August - 2 September 2011.
- Ogazi AI, Cao Y, Yeung H & Lao L (2009) Slug control with large valve opening to maximise oil production. In: Offshore Europe: Oil and Gas Conference and Exhibition 2009 (OE 2009), Aberdeen, 8-11 September 2009.
- Ogazi AI, Ogunkolade SO, Cao Y, Lao L & Yeung H (2009) Severe slugging control through open loop unstable PID tuning to increase oil production. In: 14th International Conference on Multiphase Production Technology, Cannes, 17 June 2009 - 19 June 2012.
- Yeung H, Cao Y & Lao L (2008) Comparisons between severe slug mitigation methods by increasing backpressure and throttling riser outlet valve. In: 6th North American Conference on Multiphase Technology, Banff, 4-6 June 2008.
- Wong W-L, Hale CP, Hewitt GF, Hu B, Lao L, Lawrence CJ, Mayer P, Parsonage D & Ujang PM (2004) Three-phase flows in complex geometries. In: 4th North American Conference on Multiphase Technology, Banff, 3-4 June 2004.
- Falcone G, Hewitt GF, Lao L & Richardson SM (2003) Anumet: A Novel Wet Gas Flowmeter. In: 2003 SPE Annual Technical Conference & Exhibition, Denver, Colorado, 5-8 October 2003.