Areas of expertise
- Gas Turbines & Propulsion
Dr. Yize Liu is a research fellow at Cranfield University, UK. He joined Cranfield as a doctorial researcher at the centre for propulsion engineering in 2015. The research mainly focuses on development of a preliminary design methodology for low emissions aero combustors. Upon graduation, he was working at Cranfield as a research fellow in gas turbine combustor design in 2019. Prior to this, he obtained a 1st class BEng degree (2010-2013) and a distinction MSc degree (2014) in mechanical engineering at the University of Sheffield, UK. He was a technical adviser for Nuffield Foundation Research Scheme in 2015-2017. He is also a reviewer for SCI journals and EI conference proceedings.
ONEheart Airbus Project. Collaboration with Airbus. (2022-2025)
EPSRC funded Turbo-green burner Project. Collaboration with Samad Power, UK and Brits Energy, UK (06/2019-06/2021)
Innovate UK founded Solar-turbo CHP Project. Collaboration with Brits Energy, UK, Samad Power, UK, LEMS energy management, South Africa, University of Pretoria, South Africa, University of Birmingham, UK (04/2020-04/2022)
His current research focuses on gas turbine combustor design and modelling for aero and ground-based applications. In particular, the development of low emissions combustor design tools using multi-fidelity modelling approaches.
Articles In Journals
- Liu Y, Nikolaidis T, Hossein Madani S, Sarkandi M, Gamil A, Firdus Sainal M & Vahid Hosseini S (2022) Multi-fidelity combustor design and experimental test for a micro gas turbine system, Energies, 15 (7) Article No. 2342.
- Liu Y, Sun X, Sethi V, Li YG, Nalianda D, Abbott D, Gauthier P, Xiao B & Wang L (2021) Development and application of a preliminary design methodology for modern low emissions aero combustors, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, 235 (4) 783-806.
- Liu Y, Sun X, Sethi V, Nalianda D, Li YG & Wang L (2017) Review of modern low emissions combustion technologies for aero gas turbine engines, Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 94 (October) 12-45.
- Li J, Sun X, Liu Y & Sethi V (2017) Preliminary aerodynamic design methodology for aero engine lean direct injection combustors, The Aeronautical Journal, 121 (1242) 1087-1108.
- Roumeliotis I, Arena F, Liu Y, Vouros S, Pachidis V, Broca O, Toure D & Unlu D (2021) Performance and emission assessment of thermo-electric power plant for rotorcraft propulsion. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2020: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2020), London: Virtual Event, 21-25 September 2020.
- Liu Y, Nikolaidis T, Gamil A, Madani SH & Sarkandi M (2021) Combustor development and performance analysis for recuperated microturbine application. In: AIAA Propulsion and Energy 2021 Forum, Virtual Event, 9-11 August 2021.
- Agarwal P, Sethi V, Gauthier PQ, Sun X & Liu Y (2017) Preliminary CFD Study on the effect of fuel injector coking on fuel spray characteristics. In: ASME 2017 Gas Turbine India Conference, Bangalore, 7-8 December 2017.