Areas of expertise
- Aeronautical Systems
- Aircraft Design
- Autonomous Systems
- Flight Physics
Lu's interests include high-fidelity aircraft/rotorcraft/UAM/E-VTOL modelling and real-time simulation, inverse simulation, robust and nonlinear control, aircraft/rotorcraft safety and operation, flight/rotorcraft handling qualities, system identification in time and frequency domains, full-motion simulator fidelity (6DOF), aircraft design Human factors, drone guidance, navigation, and stability and control
Lu is a member of the American Helicopter Association, AIAA (Senior), IEEE, and the Royal Aeronautical Society
- Expertise in using flight simulation for flight certification (CS25/CS27, E-VTOL)
- Expertise in high fidelity of Multi-Body Aircraft Modelling (Bo105, Puma, Blackhawk, XV-15 and Bell412); Aircraft Control Design
- Expertise in System Identification (both time-domain e.g. Stepwise Regression and Maximum
Likelihood Method) and frequency-domain, e.g., CIFER)
- Expertise in Aircraft Real-Time Simulation (Rigid-Body and Aeroelastic)
- Expertise in operation experience on Commercial 6DOF Full-Motion Simulators
- Real Flight Test Experience on Bell42 (National Research Council (Canada))
- Expertise in Aircraft Handling Qualities ; Pilot Modelling and Perception; Human Factor; Aircraft/Rotorcraft Pilot Active and Passive Coupling; Aircraft Safety Investigation;
- Expertise in FLIGHTLAB; VAPS XT, Vega Prime 5, C, Visual C++, and MATLAB; X-Plane
- One PDRA research opportunity is available. See www.jobs.ac.uk
- Welcome PhD Applications
- External (Co-I, PINES Project funded by Rolls-Royce): Development of “IntelligentEngine Technologies” (£0.5M) (01. 2022 – 09. 2023)- The PINES programme is intended to explore how novel technologies at engine level can be integrated to the benefit of the whole aircraft and beyond.
- External (Co-I, EU’s Clean Sky 2): E-PILOT (€797k) ( H2020-CS2- No 831993)- Develop Machine Learning and Sensor-based solutions for aviation and pilot cognitive monitoring - https://e-pilots.eu/
- External (Co-I, UK EPSRC), TRANSIT: Towards a Robust Airport Decision Support System for Intelligent Taxiing. Responsible for supervising one PDRA and coordinating the team to conduct flight simulation test campaign in Cranfield’s Larger Flight Simulator (B747 and B737, 10 airline pilots involved)
- External (PI, Royal Society): International Exchanges funded (March. 2020 – Jun. 2022, £6k), to develop a bio-inspired GNS methodology in the dark environment cooperated with the Medical School of USA Johns Hopkin University
- External (Co-I, TRL 6-7, EU’s Clean Sky 2): ‘Rotorcraft Certification by Simulation (RoCS, €3M) (May. 2019 – Apr. 2023, H2020-CS2-CFP08-2018-01) - https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tenders/opportunities/portal/screen/opportunities/topic-details/jti-cs2-2018-cfp08-frc-01-19
- External (PI, UK EPSRC): A Novel Approach to Rotorcraft Simulation Fidelity (£365k) (2018.01 – 202x.02, EP/P030009/1) - https://gow.epsrc.ukri.org/NGBOViewGrant.aspx?GrantRef=EP/P030009/1
- External (PI): 2017.12 Building a Virtual Reality Simulation Platform with Motion System, Knowledge Exchange & Innovation (KE&I) (£10k, 2018.01 -2018.07)
Articles In Journals
- Padfield GD & Lu L (2022) The potential impact of adverse aircraft-pilot couplings on the safety of tilt-rotor operations, The Aeronautical Journal, 126 (1304) 1617-1647.
- Agarwal D, Lu L, Padfield GD, White MD & Cameron N (2022) The use of augmented rotor inflow to predict rotorcraft responses in hover and low-speed manoeuvres, The Aeronautical Journal, 126 (1301) 1168-1186. Dataset/s: https://doi.org/10.1017/aer.2021.123
- Ji H, Lu L & Chen R (2022) Moving spatial turbulence model for high-fidelity rotorcraft maneuvering simulation, Mathematics, 10 (12) Article No. 2093.
- Ji H, Lu L, White MD & Chen R (2022) Advanced pilot modeling for prediction of rotorcraft handling qualities in turbulent wind, Aerospace Science and Technology, 123 (April) Article No. 107501.
- Memon WA, White MD, Padfield GD, Cameron N & Lu L (2022) Helicopter handling qualities: a study in pilot control compensation, The Aeronautical Journal, 126 (1295) 152-186.
- Agarwal D, Lu L, Padfield GD, White MD & Cameron N (2021) Rotorcraft lateral-directional oscillations: the anatomy of a nuisance mode, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, 66 (4) Article No. 042009.
- Honglei J, Renliang C, Linghai L & White MD (2021) Pilot workload investigation for rotorcraft operation in low-altitude atmospheric turbulence, Aerospace Science and Technology, 111 (April) Article No. 106567.
- White MD, Padfield GD, Lu L, Advani S & Potter M (2021) Review of flight simulation fidelity requirements to help reduce ‘rotorcraft loss of control in‑flight’ accident rates, CEAS Aeronautical Journal, 12 (4) 701-721.
- van't Hoff S, Lu L, Padfield G, Podzus P, White M & Quaranta G (2022) Preliminary guidelines for a requirements-based approach to certification by simulation for rotorcraft. In: 48th European Rotorcraft Forum (ERF48 2022), Winterhur, 6-8 September 2022.
- Korek WT, Li W, Lu L & Lone M (2022) Investigating pilots’ operational behaviours while interacting with different types of inceptors. In: HCI International 2022: 24th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Virtual Event, 26 June - 1 July 2022.
- Enenakpogbe E, Whidborne JF & Lu L (2022) Control of an eVTOL using nonlinear dynamic inversion. In: 13th UK Automatic Control Council (UKACC) International Conference (CONTROL2022), Plymouth, 20-22 April 2022.
- Korek WT, Li W-C, Lu L & Lone M (2022) Investigating pilots’ operational behaviours while interacting with different types of inceptors. In: HCI International 2022: 24th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Virtual Event, 26 June - 1 July 2022.
- Quaranta G, van't Hoff S, Jones M, Lu L & White M (2021) Challenges and opportunities offered by flight certification of rotorcraft by simulation. In: 47th European Rotorcraft Forum: ERF21, Virtual Event, 7-9 September 2021.
- Memon WA, Cameron N, White MD, Padfield GD & Lu L (2021) The development of a pilot control adaptation metric for simulation perceptual fidelity assessment. In: 47th European Rotorcraft Forum: ERF21, Virtual Event, 7-9 September 2021.
- Agarwal D, Lu L, Padfield G, White M & Cameron N (2021) Rotorcraft simulation fidelity improvements through augmented rotor inflow. In: 47th European Rotorcraft Forum: ERF21, Virtual Event, 7-9 September 2021.
- Cameron N, White MD, Padfield GD & Lu L (2021) Appraisal of handling qualities standards for rotorcraft lateral-directional dynamics. In: 47th European Rotorcraft Forum: ERF21, Virtual Event, 7-9 September 2021.
- Ji H, Lu L, White MD & Chen R Advanced pilot modeling for rotorcraft handling qualities investigation in turbulent wind. In: 47th European Rotorcraft Forum: ERF21, Virtual Event, 7-9 September 2021.