Contact Dr Linghai Lu
- Email: L.Lu@cranfield.ac.uk
Areas of expertise
- Aeronautical Systems
- Aircraft Design
- Autonomous Systems
- Flight Physics
Lu's interests include high-fidelity aircraft/rotorcraft/UAM/E-VTOL modelling and real-time simulation, inverse simulation, robust and nonlinear control, aircraft/rotorcraft safety and operation, flight/rotorcraft handling qualities, system identification in time and frequency domains, full-motion simulator fidelity (6DOF), aircraft design Human factors, drone guidance, navigation, and stability and control
Lu is a member of the American Helicopter Association, AIAA (Senior), IEEE, and the Royal Aeronautical Society
- Expertise in using flight simulation for flight certification (CS25/CS27, E-VTOL)
- Expertise in high fidelity of Multi-Body Aircraft Modelling (Bo105, Puma, Blackhawk, XV-15 and Bell412); Aircraft Control Design
- Expertise in System Identification (both time-domain e.g. Stepwise Regression and Maximum
Likelihood Method) and frequency-domain, e.g., CIFER)
- Expertise in Aircraft Real-Time Simulation (Rigid-Body and Aeroelastic)
- Expertise in operation experience on Commercial 6DOF Full-Motion Simulators
- Real Flight Test Experience on Bell42 (National Research Council (Canada))
- Expertise in Aircraft Handling Qualities ; Pilot Modelling and Perception; Human Factor; Aircraft/Rotorcraft Pilot Active and Passive Coupling; Aircraft Safety Investigation;
- Expertise in FLIGHTLAB; VAPS XT, Vega Prime 5, C, Visual C++, and MATLAB; X-Plane
Welcome PhD Applications
- External (UK UKRI): Future Leaders Fellows Development Network, (02.2023 – )
- External (PI, UK EPSRC): A Novel Approach to Rotorcraft Simulation Fidelity (£365k) (01.2018 – 01. 2024, EP/P030009/1)
- External (Co-I, PINES Project funded by Rolls-Royce): Development of “IntelligentEngine Technologies” (£0.5M) (01. 2022 – 09. 2023)
- External (PI, Royal Society): International Exchanges funded (03. 2020 – 04. 2023, £6k), to develop a bio-inspired GNS methodology in the dark environment cooperated with the Medical School of USA Johns Hopkin University
- External (Co-I, TRL 6-7, EU’s Clean Sky 2): ‘Rotorcraft Certification by Simulation (RoCS, €3M) (05. 2019 – 12. 2023, H2020-CS2-CFP08-2018-01)
- External (Co-I, EU’s Clean Sky 2): E-PILOT (€797k) (03. 2021 – 03. 2022, H2020-CS2- No 831993)- Develop Machine Learning and Sensor-based solutions for aviation and pilot cognitive monitoring
- External (Co-I, UK EPSRC): 2021.03- 2022.12, TRANSIT:
- External (PI): 2017.12 Building a Virtual Reality Simulation Platform with Motion System, Knowledge Exchange & Innovation (KE&I) (£10k, 2018.01 -2018.07)
Rolls-Royce, EASA, NLR, DLR, Leonardo Helicopters
Articles In Journals
- Ji H, Lu L, White MD & Chen R (2022) Advanced pilot modeling for prediction of rotorcraft handling qualities in turbulent wind, Aerospace Science and Technology, 123 (April) Article No. 107501.
- Linghai L, Dheeraj A, Padfield GD, White MD & Cameron N (2022) A new heuristic approach to rotorcraft system identification, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, 68 (November) Article No. 022005.
- Padfield GD & Lu L (2022) The potential impact of adverse aircraft-pilot couplings on the safety of tilt-rotor operations, The Aeronautical Journal, 126 (1304) 1617-1647.
- Agarwal D, Lu L, Padfield GD, White MD & Cameron N (2022) The use of augmented rotor inflow to predict rotorcraft responses in hover and low-speed manoeuvres, The Aeronautical Journal, 126 (1301) 1168-1186. Dataset/s: https://doi.org/10.1017/aer.2021.123
- Ji H, Lu L & Chen R (2022) Moving spatial turbulence model for high-fidelity rotorcraft maneuvering simulation, Mathematics, 10 (12) Article No. 2093.
- Memon WA, White MD, Padfield GD, Cameron N & Lu L (2022) Helicopter handling qualities: a study in pilot control compensation, The Aeronautical Journal, 126 (1295) 152-186.
- Agarwal D, Lu L, Padfield GD, White MD & Cameron N (2021) Rotorcraft lateral-directional oscillations: the anatomy of a nuisance mode, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, 66 (4) Article No. 042009.
- Honglei J, Renliang C, Linghai L & White MD (2021) Pilot workload investigation for rotorcraft operation in low-altitude atmospheric turbulence, Aerospace Science and Technology, 111 (April) Article No. 106567.
- White MD, Padfield GD, Lu L, Advani S & Potter M (2021) Review of flight simulation fidelity requirements to help reduce ‘rotorcraft loss of control in‑flight’ accident rates, CEAS Aeronautical Journal, 12 (4) 701-721.
- Kang N, Whidborne JF, Lu L & Enconniere J (2023) Scheduled flight control system of tilt-rotor VTOL PAV. In: AIAA SciTech Forum 2023, National Harbor, 23-27 January 2023.
- Korek WT, Li W-C, Lu L & Lone M (2022) Investigating pilots’ operational behaviours while interacting with different types of inceptors. In: HCI International 2022: 24th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Virtual Event, 26 June - 1 July 2022.
- van't Hoff S, Lu L, Padfield G, Podzus P, White M & Quaranta G (2022) Preliminary guidelines for a requirements-based approach to certification by simulation for rotorcraft. In: 48th European Rotorcraft Forum (ERF48 2022), Winterhur, 6-8 September 2022.
- Enenakpogbe E, Whidborne JF & Lu L (2022) Control of an eVTOL using nonlinear dynamic inversion. In: 13th UK Automatic Control Council (UKACC) International Conference (CONTROL2022), Plymouth, 20-22 April 2022.
- Quaranta G, van't Hoff S, Jones M, Lu L & White M (2021) Challenges and opportunities offered by flight certification of rotorcraft by simulation. In: 47th European Rotorcraft Forum: ERF21, Virtual Event, 7-9 September 2021.
- Memon WA, Cameron N, White MD, Padfield GD & Lu L (2021) The development of a pilot control adaptation metric for simulation perceptual fidelity assessment. In: 47th European Rotorcraft Forum: ERF21, Virtual Event, 7-9 September 2021.
- Agarwal D, Lu L, Padfield G, White M & Cameron N (2021) Rotorcraft simulation fidelity improvements through augmented rotor inflow. In: 47th European Rotorcraft Forum: ERF21, Virtual Event, 7-9 September 2021.
- Cameron N, White MD, Padfield GD & Lu L (2021) Appraisal of handling qualities standards for rotorcraft lateral-directional dynamics. In: 47th European Rotorcraft Forum: ERF21, Virtual Event, 7-9 September 2021.
- Ji H, Lu L, White MD & Chen R Advanced pilot modeling for rotorcraft handling qualities investigation in turbulent wind. In: 47th European Rotorcraft Forum: ERF21, Virtual Event, 7-9 September 2021.
- Padfield G, van't Hoff S, Lu L, Podzus P, White & Quaranta G (2023) Preliminary guidelines for the rotorcraft certification by simulation process: update no 1.