Areas of expertise
- Defence Sensors
- Explosives and Munitions
- Smart Materials
- Structures and Materials
Dr Licia Dossi is Lecturer in Defence Chemistry at Cranfield University and RSC Chartered Chemist and Chartered Scientist, with expertise in synthetic polymer chemistry and explosives chemistry gained from 30 years’ experience in UK and European Academic institutions.
She graduated with an MSc in Chemistry from Pisa University, Italy and received her PhD in Biomaterials from Brescia University Italy.
She was a Research Assistant at Pisa University, the Italian National Research Council and Genoa University in the synthesis of new polymeric systems for a variety of applications. Her research contribution on the synthesis of liquid crystalline polymers developed in Pisa University is often cited worldwide. Licia moved to Bristol University UK in 1998 as Research Assistant with a three year ESPRC grant in polymers and then took a career break for her young family until 2008 when she joined Cranfield University as Research Fellow. She became Senior Research Fellow in 2015 and then Lecturer in Defence Chemistry in 2018.
Licia is currently part of the synthesis and formulation group at the Centre for Defence Chemistry at Shrivenham and has a recognized teaching status for high education. She delivers lectures at Master and PhD levels on a variety of themes. She is active member of the Centre of Excellence in Energetic Materials Synthesis group and has an important national and international networking.
She is an active researcher and co-author in more than 55 published papers/conference proceedings, 2 international patents and 1 book. Cited papers 78, h-index 5 (as from 18.08.2019).
PhD studentships in the following themes:
Smart sniffer dog for detection of illicit substances. Reference
Inert and energetic binders for NC free propellants
Beta- and gamma-cyclodextrins
Licia teaches chemistry and polymers science at MSc and PhD level, she is a pro-active researcher and manager of two laboratories, Organic Synthesis and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance laboratory, within the Centre for Defence Chemistry at Shrivenham.
She supervises MSc and PhD students’ projects and designs, organises and delivers several short courses.
She has an important number of communication relationships and collaborations with academia and industry in UK and overseas.
She has strong project management skills having managed and delivered multi-disciplinary projects for a variety of clients.
She is active member of the UK Centre of Excellence in Energetic Materials Synthesis group and committee member of the Explosives Ordnance Engineering course.
Licia is co-author of several papers published in international peer reviewed journals, she co-authoring two patents on energetic polyphosphazenes and delivers research and numerous technical reports on research topics including:
Detection of explosives and controlled drugs and their precursor
Inert and energetic polymeric binders – Design, modelling and synthesis
Smart high performance energetic formulations
Synthesis and characterisation of common explosives
Coating of explosives and metals
Microencapsulation and controlled drug delivery
Atomic Weapons Establishment
Articles In Journals
- Haimhoffer A, Dossi E, Béresová M, Bácskay I, Váradi J, Afsar A, Rusznyák A, Vasvári G & Fenyvesi F (2021) Preformulation studies and bioavailability enhancement of curcumin with a ‘two in one’ PEG-β-cyclodextrin polymer, Pharmaceutics, 13 (10) Article No. 1710.
- Dossi E, Bolton M, Kister G & Afsar A (2021) Cross-linking of γ-cyclodextrin using non-toxic polyethylene glycol spacer units, ChemistrySelect, 6 (30) 7727-7731.
- Dossi E, Earnshaw J, Ellison L, Rabello dos Santos G, Cavaye H & Cleaver DJ (2021) Understanding and controlling the glass transition of HTPB oligomers, Polymer Chemistry, 12 (17) 2606-2617.
- Luppi F, Mai N, Kister G, Gill PP, Gaulter SE, Stennett C & Dossi E (2019) Chemical modification of β-cyclodextrins: balancing soft and rigid domains in complex structures, Chemistry - A European journal, 25 (68) 15646-15655.
- Luppi L, Kister G, Carpenter M & Dossi E (2019) Thermomechanical characterisation of cross-linked β-cyclodextrin polyether binders, Polymer Testing, 73 (February) 338-345.
- Luppi F, Cavaye H & Dossi E (2018) Nitrated cross-linked b-cyclodextrin binders exhibiting low glass transition tempratures, Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, 43 (10) 1023-1031.
- Dossi, E, Akhavan J, Gaulter SE, Williams RG & Doe WJ (2018) Cross-linking of hydroxyl-terminated polyols with triethyleneglycol diglycidyl ether: an alternative to toxic isocyanates, Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, 43 (3) 241-250.
- Cavaye H, Clegg F, Gould PJ, Ladyman MK, Temple T & Dossi E (2017) Primary alkyl phosphine-borane polymers: Synthesis, low glass transition temperature, and a predictive capability thereof, Macromolecules, 50 (23) 9239-9248.
- Kister G & Dossi E (2015) Cure monitoring of CFRP composites by dynamic mechanical analyser, Polymer Testing, 47 (October) 71-78.
- Gallot B, Galli G, Dossi E & Chiellini E (2006) Structural characterization of the smectic polymorphism of chiral liquid crystalline polysiloxanes containing biphenyl mesogens, Liquid Crystals, 18 (3) 463-473.
- Galletto R, Attanasio F, Dossi E, Schulein M & Rialdi G (1998) Heat of protonation of endoglucanase V catalytic domain (EGV- core) from Humicola insolens, 321 (1-2) 17-21.
- Solaro R, Dossi E, Chiellini E & Mazzanti G (1997) New multifunctional polymeric materials for the treatment of chronic uremia, Journal of Bioactive and Compatible Polymers, 12 (1) 27-46.
- Chiellini E, Dossi E, Galli G, Solaro R & Gallot B (1995) Synthesis and structural characterization of chiral smectic C and smectic A poly(vinyl ether)s, Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, 196 (12) 3859-3875.
- Chiellini E, Galli G, Dossi E, Cioni F & Gallot B (1993) New chiral smectic polysiloxanes from mesogenic olefin or vinyl ether monomers, Macromolecules, 26 (4) 849-851.
- Chiellini E, Galli G, Cioni F & Dossi E (1993) Chiral liquid-crystalline polymers : recent issues and perspectives, Makromolekulare Chemie. Macromolecular Symposia (Switzerland), 69 (1) 61-64.
- Chiellini E, Galli G, Cioni F, Dossi E & Gallot B (1993) Chiral smectic liquid-crystalline polyacrylates with variously spaced and substituted biphenylene units, Journal of Materials Chemistry, 3 (10) 1065-1073.
- Molgaard LL, Buus OT, Larsen J, Babamoradi H, Thygesen IL, Laustsen M, Munk JK, Dossi E, O'Keeffe C, Lassig L, Tatlow S, Sandstrom L & Jakobsen MH (2017) Improved detection of chemical substances from colorimetric sensor data using probabilistic machine learning. In: Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and Explosives (CBRNE) Sensing XVIII, Anaheim, CA, 9-13 April 2017.
- Dossi L, Cleaver D, Gould P, Dunnett J, Cavaye H, Ellison E, Luppi F, Hollands R & Bradley M (2017) Binders for Energetics - Modelling and Synthesis in Harmony [Poster presentation]. In: APS March Meeting 2017, Materials in Extremes: Bridging Simulations and Experiments, New Orleans, Louisiana, 12-18 June 2017.
- Dossi L (2017) Detecting the threat: Sensor System for Detection of Criminal Chemical Substances. In: First Scientific International Conference on CBRNE - SICC 2017, Istituto Superiore Antincendi, Rome, 22-24 May 2017.
- Dossi L (2017) Novel Modelling Tool for Energetics. In: APS March Meeting 2017, Materials in Extremes: Bridging Simulations and Experiments, New Orleans, Louisiana, 12-18 June 2017.
- Dossi L, Cleaver D, Gould P, Dunnett J, Cavaye H, Luppi F, Hollands R & Threlfall D (2016) Binders for Energetics: Synergy of Synthesis and Modelling [Poster presentation]. In: Gordon Conference on Energetic Materials 2016, Stoweflake Vermont USA, 5-10 June 2016.
- Munk JK, Buus O, Larsen J, Dossi E, Tatlow S, Laessig L, Sandstrom L & Jakobsen MH (2015) CRIM-TRACK: Sensor system for detection of criminal chemical substances. In: Optics and Photonics for Counterterrorism, Crime Fighting, and Defence XI; and Optical Materials and Biomaterials in Security and Defence Systems Technology XII, Toulouse, 21 September 2015.
- Dossi E, Bennetto D, Oakley MT & Alder RW (2000) Anionic Ring Opening Polymerisation of New Cyclopropanes and Oxiranes: Conformational Control by Quaternary Carbon Centres. In: World Polymer Congress, 38th Macromolecular IUPAC Symposium, Warsaw/Lodz, 9 July 2000.
- Alder RW, Dossi E & Oakley MT (1999) Anionic ring opening polymerisation of new cyclopropanes and oxiranes: conformational control by quaternary carbon atoms.
- Dossi E, Alder RW & Oakley MT New Oligomers and Polymers containing Transversely-Oriented Aromatic Groups.
- Russo, S, Mariani A, Conio G, Gattiglia E, Boulares A, Dossi E, Bisbano S & Ricco L (1997) Synthese de nouveaux materiaux polymeres. In: Journees Transalpines Polymeres, Grenobles, 6 October 1997.
- Dossi E, Demicheli A & Russo S (1997) Synthesis and characterisation of aliphatic polyamides containing alpha-amino acid linkages.
- Chiellini E, Dossi E, Mazzanti G & Solaro R New Polymeric Materials for the Treatment of Chronic Uremia. In: 3rd Kyoto-Siena Symposium, Kagoshima.
- Barsotti G, Chiellini E, Dossi E, Giannasi D, Giovanetti S, Mazzanti G & Solaro R New polymeric hydrogels for the removal of uraemic toxins.
- Chiellini E, Dossi E, Mazzanti G & Solaro R New polymeric synthetic and semisynthetic hydrogels for the removal of uraemic toxins.
- Chiellini E, Dossi E, Mazzanti G & Solaro R New Polymeric Synthetic and Semisynthetic Hydrogels for the removal of Uraemic Toxins.
- Komitov L, Lagerwall ST, Stebler B, Dossi E, Chiellini E & Galli G (1995) Electrooptic investigation of Chiral Smectic C and A Liquid Crystals Polysiloxanes.
- Chiellini E, Bemporad L, Dossi E, Fichi C, Giannasi D, Morganti F & Solaro R (1994) New Bioerodible-Biodegradable Hydrophilic Polymers for Biomedical Applications.
- Dossi E, Chiellini E, Galli G, Komitov L, Lagerwall ST & Stebler B The electroclinic properties of new chiral side-chain liquid crystal poly(siloxane)s.
- Chiellini E, Galli G, Cioni F & Dossi E Chiral liquid crystalline poly(vinyl ether)s and poly(siloxane)s: synthesis and mesomorphic behavior.
- Akhavan J & Dossi E (2013) Energetics @ Cranfield University-Defence Academy of UK. In: 2nd European Conference on Detection of Explosives, Rome, 13 March 2013.
- Golding P, Contini AE, Dossi E & Bellamy AJ (2014) Recent developments in energetic polyphosphazene binders. In: New Energetics Workshop, Stockholm, 14 May 2014.
- Dossi E, Robinson J, Munk JK, Buus OT, Lässig L & Jakobsen MH Wellington: A smart sniffer prototype for criminal substances. In: World Customs Organization Technology & Innovation Forum 2015, Rotterdam, 26 October 2015.
- Barsotti G, Chiellini E, Dossi E, Giannasi D, Giovannetti S, Mazzanti G & Solaro R (1996)
New polymeric hydrogels for the removal of uremic toxins. In: Advanced biomaterials in biomedical engineering and drug delivery systems. Ogata N, Tsuruta T (ed.), Tokyo: Springer, p. 299-300.