Contact Dr Liang Yang
Areas of expertise
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Renewable Energy
Liang Yang is interested in numerical methods for solving multiphysics, multiscale problems, with the application to Marine Renewables. He received his PhD in Computational Mechanics in Swansea University. He holds dual MSc in Computational Mechanics from Swansea University and Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya. He is a visiting scholar in the dep. of Earth Science and Engineering, Imperial College London.
Selected Invited talks:
Unified computational framework for floating structure and wave interaction. Computational Science Engineering, Data Science & Artificial Intelligence by Total R&D, October 2019, Serris, France.
Keynote: Adaptive modelling for multiphase flow through debris bed with boiling, The University of Tokyo, March, 2019.
Bridging the gap between the computational fluid, solid and multibody dynamics. State key laboratory of hydroscience and engineering, Tsinghua University, March 2019.
Bridging the gap between the computational fluid, solid and multibody dynamics. Computational Geoscience seminars, department of Earth Science and Engineering, Imperial College, March 2019.
Three-fluids model for multiphase flow in porous media with phase change, with application to debris bed cooling. Institut de Radioprotection et de Sûreté Nucléaire (IRSN), October, 2018.
Massively parallel and next generation solver for aerodynamics and aeroacoustics. Imperial-Tsinghua-COMAC science week, September, 2018.
Three-fluids model for multiphase flow in porous media with phase change. 3rd UKFN Nuclear Thermal Hydraulics SIG, September, 2018.
PyEFEM: Highly parallel python based framework for flow and fluid-structure interaction problem. Department of Computing Research Associate Symposium, Imperial College, June, 2018.
I am accepting students for self-funded PhD and research MSc in the following research areas:
1. Advanced simulation and control of floating offshore wind turbines.
2. Deep reinforcement learning for offshore renewable energy.
3. Thermal hydraulics and phase change for nuclear engineering.
4. CFD methods for aeroelasticity/hydroelasticity and reduced order models.
Current Supervision at CU:
H. Syed, MSc, 2020, Response of double hinged platform using potential flow solver.
J. Xing, MSc, 2020, CFD modelling oil spill response under fast current.
L. Balazi, MSc, 2020, Massively parallel simulation of Navier-Stokes-Brinkman system on grayscale Micro-CT images.
L. Abadie, MSc, 2020, Pitch and heave motion for thrust generation at low Reynolds numbers.
B. Iype Varghese, MSc, 2020, Wave loads in a monopile exposed to limiting non breaking and breaking waves
B. Raj, MSc, 2020, Hydrodynamic loads in extra large monopile foundations for offshore wind turbines.
Previous Supervision at CU:
Group Project 2020, Modelling oil spill response under fast current.
Group Project 2020, Parametric investigation and optimisation of a novel ocean-going robotic platform.
T. Chatin, MSc, 2019 CFD Modelling and optimisation of a Horizontal plate Wave Energy Converter.
Previous funded project:
PI: Minimising the tsunami impact on coastal communities of developing countries funded by QR Global Challenges Research Fund. 2019-2020
Module leader for 'Fluid Mechanics and Loading' 2019-2020
'Renewable Energy Structures' 2019-2020
'Renewable Energy Technologies' 2019-2020
Member: PRIMaRE Committee
Articles In Journals
- Zheng Y, Zhang C, Wang J, Yang L, Shen C, Han Z & Liu Y (2020) Non-wet kingfisher flying in the rain: The tumble of droplets on moving oriented anisotropic superhydrophobic substrates, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, Available online 26 July 2020.
- Zhang C, Wu Z, Shen C, Zheng Y, Yang L, Liu Y & Ren L (2020) Effects of eigen and actual frequencies of soft elastic surfaces on droplet rebound from stationary flexible feather vanes, Soft Matter, Available online 05 May 2020 (21).
- Yang L, Buchan A, Jones A, Smith P, Sakai M & Pain C (2020) A three-phase interpenetrating continua approach for wave and porous structure interaction, Engineering Computations, Available online 14 May 2020.
- Yang L, Yang J, Boek E, Sakai M & Pain C (2019) Image-based simulations of absolute permeability with massively parallel pseudo-compressible stabilised finite element solver, Computational Geosciences, 23 (5) 881-893.
- Yang L, Gil A, Carreño A & Bonet J (2018) Unified one-fluid formulation for incompressible flexible solids and multiphase flows: Application to hydrodynamics using the immersed structural potential method (ISPM), International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 86 (1) 78-106.
- Yang L (2018) One-fluid formulation for fluid–structure interaction with free surface, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 332 (April) 102-135.
- Yang L, Yang H, Yan S & Ma Q (2017) Numerical investigation of water-entry problems using IBM method, International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering, 27 (2) 152-159.
- Yang L, Badia S & Codina R (2016) A pseudo-compressible variational multiscale solver for turbulent incompressible flows, Computational Mechanics, 58 (6) 1051-1069.
- Joshi A, Heaney C, Jones A, Yang L, Smith P, Tehrani A & Pain CC (2019) Numerical modelling of in-vessel melt retention: The LIVE Experiments. In: 25th International QUENCH Workshop, Karlsruhe, 22-24 October 2019.
- Yang L (2019) PyEFEM: Massively parallel python based FEM framework for flow problems. In: Computational Methods in Multi-scale, Multi-uncertainty and Multi-physics Problems (CM4P-2019), Porto, 15 July - 17 June 2019.
- Yang L, Stagonas D & Hart P (2019) Unified one-fluid simulation for floating wave energy converters. In: 6th PRIMaRE Conference 2019, Cardiff, 3-4 July 2019.
- Yang L, Gil AJ & Pain CC (2019) Unified one-fluid formulation for multibody dynamics and multiphase flow interaction. In: UK Association for Computational Mechanics Conference 2019, London, 10-12 April 2019.
- Yang L, Buchan A, Jones A, Smith P, Sakai M & Pain C (2019) Adaptive modelling for multiphase flow through debris bed with boiling. In: International Conference on Computational & Experimental Engineering and Sciences, Tokyo, 25 March - 29 April 2019.
- Yang L, Lyu Z, Yang P, Pavlidis D, Fang F, Xiang J, Latham JP & Pain CC (2018) Numerical simulation of attenuator wave energy converter using one-fluid formulation. In: 28th International Ocean and Polar Engineering Conference 2018 (ISOPE-2018), Sapporo, 10-15 June 2018.
- Yang L, Yang H, Yan S, Ma Q & Bihnam M (2016) Comparative study on water impact problem. In: 26th International Ocean and Polar Engineering Conference (ISOPE 2016), Rhodes, 26 June - 2 July 2016.
- Yang L, Carreño AA, Gil AJ & Bonet J (2014) An immersed structural potential method framework for incompressible flexible/rigid/multi-phase flow interaction. In: 22nd UK National Conference of the Association for Computational Mechanics in Engineering, University of Exeter, 2-4 April 2014.