Contact Dr Liang Yang
Areas of expertise
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Renewable Energy
Liang Yang leads the research and teaching activities on marine renewable energy. He received his PhD in Computational Mechanics in Swansea University. He holds dual MSc in Computational Mechanics from Swansea University and Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya. Research areas includes:
- Marine energy devices: offshore wind platform; green propulsion; wave tank testing [Link]
- Physics based/data driven simulation for wind turbine/farms, wave tank, breakwater, UVC disinfection...
- Digital twin techniques: GPU accelerated computing, autodiff and AI
We were the first group to show:
- One-fluid formulation for general continuum coupling (2016)
- Multibody dynamics within fluids (2018)
- Bioinspired substructure for floating structure [Talk,Talk] (2020)
- Fluid-radiation coupling for ultraviolet air disinfection [Media, Media] (2020)
- Voxel based finite element fluid solver for over 2000^3 size problem on HPC (2020)
- CFD analysis of passive wave propulsion (2021)
- GPU accelerated LBM solver within 500 lines (2022)
- High-fidelity differentiable fluid-structure interaction (2022)
GPU accelerated multiphase flow, particle and solid interaction solver in one-fluid formulation, November, Japan, ICCCI2022.
Stabilisation of floating offshore wind platform through hydrofoil. Computational Science Engineering, Data Science & Artificial Intelligence by Total R&D, October 2022.
Recent development for voxel-based lattice Boltzmann and finite element solver on multi-core CPU/GPUs. Image based simulation for industry 2022 (IBSim-4i), London, October 2022.
Deep neural network control of differentiable fluid-structure interaction problem, First Cranfield University AI Conference, July, Cranfield, 2022.
A CFD-Radiation model for the simulation of UV photoreactors for drinking water treatment, ECCOMAS Congress, June, Oslo, 2022
Working with nature: retrofitting solutions for reducing mooring line loads. WindEurope Conference, April, Bibao, 2022
Wyvern: A high-fidelity solver for coupled fluid-radiation-particle problems. The 8th Asian Particle Technology Symposium, Osaka, October 2021.
An explicit finite element method for Navier-Stokes-Brinkman equations. Image based simulation for industry 2021 (IBSim-4i), London, October 2021.
An explicit finite element method for Navier-Stokes-Brinkman equations. Computational Science Engineering, Data Science & Artificial Intelligence by Total R&D, October 2021.
Unified computational framework for floating structure and wave interaction. Computational Science Engineering, Data Science & Artificial Intelligence by Total R&D, October 2019, Serris, France.
Keynote: Adaptive modelling for multiphase flow through debris bed with boiling, The University of Tokyo, March, 2019.
Bridging the gap between the computational fluid, solid and multibody dynamics. State key laboratory of hydroscience and engineering, Tsinghua University, March 2019.
Bridging the gap between the computational fluid, solid and multibody dynamics. Computational Geoscience seminars, department of Earth Science and Engineering, Imperial College, March 2019.
Three-fluids model for multiphase flow in porous media with phase change, with application to debris bed cooling. Institut de Radioprotection et de Sûreté Nucléaire (IRSN), October, 2018.
Massively parallel and next generation solver for aerodynamics and aeroacoustics. Imperial-Tsinghua-COMAC science week, September, 2018.
Three-fluids model for multiphase flow in porous media with phase change. 3rd UKFN Nuclear Thermal Hydraulics SIG, September, 2018.
PyEFEM: Highly parallel python based framework for flow and fluid-structure interaction problem. Department of Computing Research Associate Symposium, Imperial College, June, 2018.
I am accepting students for self-funded PhD in the following research areas:
1. Novel techniques for stabilisation of floating offshore platform
2. Digital twin for offshore renewables
3. Massively parallel physics solver on GPUs
4. AI for fluid mechanics
Research supervision at CU:
J. Xing, 2020-, Advanced simulation and control of floating wind turbine platform
PI, Feasibility study of hybrid propulsion for unmanned surface vehicle for environmental monitoring. 04/2022-03/2023.
PI, Wind turbine feasibility study project. 08/2022-11/2022.
80,000 CPUh Instant Access to ARCHER, Massively parallel simulation of Navier-Stokes-Brinkman system on grayscale Micro-CT images. 10/2020-05/2021.
PI: EPSRC Supergen ORE ECR Fund, Parametric study for flapping foil system for harnessing wave energy. 11/2020-09/2021.
PI: Minimising the tsunami impact on coastal communities of developing countries funded by QR Global Challenges Research Fund. 10/2019-07/2020.
Previous Supervision at CU:
S. Santhosh, MSc, 2022, Experimental study of hydrofoil for marine propulsion
Y. Wang, MSc, 2022, Design of new offshore floating solar platform
A. Gonzalez Acha, MSc, 2022, Optimisation of wind farm power generation via wake steering using actuator disk model
K. Wani, MSc, 2022, CFD analysis of motionless wind turbine, AeroMINE
O. Reid, MSc, 2022, Optimisation of Savonius turbine using high-fidelity CFD
S. Surwade, MSc, 2022, Re-balancing lift for battery electric vehicle using CFD simulation and iterative design development
A. Shaaban, MSc, 2022, Numerical analysis of vortex bladeless wind turbine
Z. Ahmed, MSc, 2021, Feasibility study to charge an electric vehicle in motion.
F. Topal, MSc, 2021, Laboratory-scale modelling of irregular waves and its interaction with submersible floating platform.
A. Koutras, MSc, 2021, Laboratory-scale physical modelling of floating wind turbine platform and its novel stabilisation technique.
A. Dell'Orto, MSc, 2021, Numerical modelling of floating wind turbine platform and its novel stabilisation technique.
X. Xu, MSc, 2021, CFD-Radiation Modelling for UVC Disinfection of Drinking Water.
H. Syed, MSc, 2020, Response of double hinged platform using potential flow solver.
J. Xing, MSc, 2020, CFD modelling oil spill response under fast current.
L. Balazi, MSc, 2020, Best thesis on the Advanced Mechanical Engineering MSc. Massively parallel simulation of Navier-Stokes-Brinkman system on grayscale Micro-CT images, joint supervision with Total Geosciences Research Centre.
L. Abadie, MSc, 2020, Pitch and heave motion for thrust generation at low Reynolds numbers.
T. Chatin, MSc, 2019 CFD Modelling and optimisation of a Horizontal plate Wave Energy Converter.
Module leader for 'Fluid Mechanics and Loading' 2019-now
Module leader for 'Design for Renewable Energy Structures' 2020-now
Member: PRIMaRE Committee
Member for Rapid Assistance in Modelling the Pandemic: RAMP
Autonomous devices Ltd
Articles In Journals
- Yang J, Xu Y & Yang L (2022) Taichi-LBM3D: a single phase and multiphase lattice Boltzmann solver on cross-platform multi-core CPU/GPUs, Fluids, 7 (8) Article No. 270.
- Nillama LBA, Yang J & Yang L. (2022) An explicit stabilised finite element method for Navier-Stokes-Brinkman equations, Journal of Computational Physics, 457 (May) Article No. 111033.
- Welch D, Buonanno M, Buchan AG, Yang L, Atkinson KD, Shuryak I & Brenner DJ (2022) Inactivation rates for airborne human coronavirus by low doses of 222nm far-UVC radiation, Viruses, 14 (4) Article No. 684.
- Chen S, Xing J, Yang L, Zhang H, Luan Y, Chen H & Liu H (2021) Numerical modelling of new flap-gate type breakwater in regular and solitary waves using one-fluid formulation, Ocean Engineering, 240 (November) Article No. 109967.
- Buchan AG, Yang L, Welch D, Brenner DJ & Atkinson KD (2021) Improved estimates of 222 nm far-UVC susceptibility for aerosolized human coronavirus via a validated high-fidelity coupled radiation-CFD code, Scientific Reports, 11 (1) Article No. 19930.
- Yang L, Buchan A, Jones A, Smith P, Sakai M & Pain C (2021) A three-phase interpenetrating continua approach for wave and porous structure interaction, Engineering Computations, 38 (3) 1157-1169.
- Lyu Z, Lei Q, Yang L, Heaney C, Song X, Salinas P, Jackson M, Li G & Pain CC (2021) A novel approach to optimising well trajectory in heterogeneous reservoirs based on the fast-marching method, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, 88 (April) Article No. 103853.
- Zhang C, Wu Z, Shen C, Zheng Y, Yang L, Liu Y & Ren L (2020) Effects of eigen and actual frequencies of soft elastic surfaces on droplet rebound from stationary flexible feather vanes, Soft Matter, 2020 (21) 5020-5031.
- Zheng Y, Zhang C, Wang J, Yang L, Shen C, Han Z & Liu Y (2020) Non-wet kingfisher flying in the rain: the tumble of droplets on moving oriented anisotropic superhydrophobic substrates, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 12 (31) 35707-35715.
- Wu Z, Zhang C, Wang J, Shen C, Yang L & Ren L (2020) Water entry of slender segmented projectile connected by spring, Ocean Engineering, 217 (December) Article No. 108016.
- Buchan AG, Yang L & Atkinson KD (2020) Predicting airborne coronavirus inactivation by far-UVC in populated rooms using a high-fidelity coupled radiation-CFD model, Scientific Reports, 10 (1) Article No. 19659.
- Yang L, Yang J, Boek E, Sakai M & Pain C (2019) Image-based simulations of absolute permeability with massively parallel pseudo-compressible stabilised finite element solver, Computational Geosciences, 23 (5) 881-893.
- Yang L, Gil A, Carreño A & Bonet J (2018) Unified one-fluid formulation for incompressible flexible solids and multiphase flows: Application to hydrodynamics using the immersed structural potential method (ISPM), International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 86 (1) 78-106.
- Yang L (2018) One-fluid formulation for fluid–structure interaction with free surface, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 332 (April) 102-135.
- Yang L, Yang H, Yan S & Ma Q (2017) Numerical investigation of water-entry problems using IBM method, International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering, 27 (2) 152-159.
- Yang L, Badia S & Codina R (2016) A pseudo-compressible variational multiscale solver for turbulent incompressible flows, Computational Mechanics, 58 (6) 1051-1069.
- Yang L, Buchan A, Jones A, Smith P, Sakai M & Pain C (2019) Adaptive modelling for multiphase flow through debris bed with boiling. In: International Conference on Computational & Experimental Engineering and Sciences, Tokyo, 25 March - 29 April 2019.
- Joshi A, Heaney C, Jones A, Yang L, Smith P, Tehrani A & Pain CC (2019) Numerical modelling of in-vessel melt retention: The LIVE Experiments. In: 25th International QUENCH Workshop, Karlsruhe, 22-24 October 2019.
- Yang L (2019) PyEFEM: Massively parallel python based FEM framework for flow problems. In: Computational Methods in Multi-scale, Multi-uncertainty and Multi-physics Problems (CM4P-2019), Porto, 15 July - 17 June 2019.
- Yang L, Stagonas D & Hart P (2019) Unified one-fluid simulation for floating wave energy converters. In: 6th PRIMaRE Conference 2019, Cardiff, 3-4 July 2019.
- Yang L, Gil AJ & Pain CC (2019) Unified one-fluid formulation for multibody dynamics and multiphase flow interaction. In: UK Association for Computational Mechanics Conference 2019, London, 10-12 April 2019.
- Yang L, Lyu Z, Yang P, Pavlidis D, Fang F, Xiang J, Latham JP & Pain CC (2018) Numerical simulation of attenuator wave energy converter using one-fluid formulation. In: 28th International Ocean and Polar Engineering Conference 2018 (ISOPE-2018), Sapporo, 10-15 June 2018.
- Yang L, Yang H, Yan S, Ma Q & Bihnam M (2016) Comparative study on water impact problem. In: 26th International Ocean and Polar Engineering Conference (ISOPE 2016), Rhodes, 26 June - 2 July 2016.
- Yang L, Carreño AA, Gil AJ & Bonet J (2014) An immersed structural potential method framework for incompressible flexible/rigid/multi-phase flow interaction. In: 22nd UK National Conference of the Association for Computational Mechanics in Engineering, University of Exeter, 2-4 April 2014.
- Balazi Atchy Nillama L, Yang L & Yang J Hybrid MPI/OpenMP parallisation implementation of Navier-Stokes-Brinkman system for porous media flow. In: 7th PRIMaRE Conference, Online, 7-8 July 2020.
- Abadie LME, Stagonas D & Yang L. Numerical investigation for a coupled pitch and heave motion of flapping foil. In: 7th PRIMaRE Conference, Online, 7-8 July 2020.
- Xing J, Syed H, Mendizabal X, Stagonas D & Yang L 2D Modelling dynamic response of floating structure under surface gravity waves with currents. In: 7th PRIMaRE Conference, Online, 7-8 July 2020.