Contact Dr Leonard Felicetti
Areas of expertise
- Space Systems
Dr. Leonard Felicetti is a Lecturer in Space Engineering in Cranfield University. His main areas of interest/expertise are: Spacecraft Orbital and Attitude Control Systems (AOCS); Guidance, Navigation and Control (GNC); Spacecraft Systems and Subsystems; Spacecraft Design; Space Robotics; Distributed Space Systems
He received his M.Sc. summa cum laude from Sapienza – University of Rome (Italy) in 2008 with a dissertation on the Attitude Dynamics and Control of a Cubesat implementing a Drag-Balance Instrument for measuring the Atmospheric Drag in Low Earth Orbit. In 2013, he received his Ph.D. on the “Dynamics, Guidance and Control of Multiple Platform Space Systems” and later, he was awarded a two-years post-doc grant at the Guidance and Navigation Lab of Sapienza - University of Rome for a study contract on the Active Debris Removal by using Space Robotic Manipulators.
In 2015, he was an Honorary Research Associate at University of Glasgow for a research on the Attitude and Orbit Control Strategies for Variable-Geometry Solar Sailing.
From October 2015, Leonard was an Associate Senior Lecturer in On-board Space System in Luleå University of Technology. He was also the teacher of the courses “Spacecraft Subsystems”, “Spacecraft Design” and “Spacecraft Environment Interactions” of the Master Degree programs on Space Science and Technology and Spacecraft Design of Luleå University of Technology.
In December 2018, Leonard joined Cranfield University as Lecturer in Space Engineering.
Leonard’s main research interests are in
spacecraft orbital and attitude control systems, guidance, navigation and
control of distributed space system, space robotics and multibody dynamics.
Articles In Journals
- De Iuliis A, Ciampa F, Felicetti L & Ceriotti M (2021) Sailing with solar and planetary radiation pressure, Advances in Space Research, 67 (9) 2795-2811.
- Larsen AK, Chen Y, Bruschetta M, Carli R, Cenedese A, Varagnolo D & Felicetti L (2019) A computationally efficient model predictive control scheme for space debris rendezvous, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 52 (12) 103-110.
- Felicetti L & Emami M (2018) Image-based attitude maneuvers for space debris tracking, Aerospace Science and Technology, 76 (May) 58-71.
- Felicetti L & Emami M (2018) Vision-aided attitude control for space debris detection, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 41 (2) 566-574.
- Pomares J, Felicetti L, Pérez J & Emami M (2018) Concurrent image-based visual servoing with adaptive zooming for non-cooperative rendezvous maneuvers, Advances in Space Research, 61 (3) 862-878.
- Felicetti . & Emami M (2017) Attitude coordination of multiple spacecraft for space debris surveillance, Advances in Space Research, 59 (5) 1270-1288.
- Felicetti L & Emami M (2016) A multi-spacecraft formation approach to space debris surveillance, Acta Astronautica, 127 (October-November) 491-504.
- Felicetti L, Ceriotti M & Harkness P (2016) Attitude stability and altitude control of a variable-geometry earth-orbiting solar sail, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 39 (9) 2112-2126.
- Felicetti L, Gasbarri P, Pisculli A, Sabatini M & Palmerini GB (2016) Design of robotic manipulators for orbit removal of spent launchers’ stages, Acta Astronautica, 119 (February-March) 118-130.
- Felicetti L & Palmerini G (2016) Analytical and numerical investigations on spacecraft formation control by using electrostatic forces, Acta Astronautica, 123 (June-July) 455-469.
- Felicetti L & Palmerini GB (2015) Three spacecraft formation control by means of electrostatic forces, Aerospace Science and Technology, 48 (January) 261-271.
- Felicetti L, Piergentili F & Santoni F (2014) Thermosphere density and wind measurements in the equatorial region using a constellation of drag balance nanospacecraft, Advances in Space Research, 54 (3) 546-553.
- Pisculli A, Felicetti L, Gasbarri P, Palmerini GB & Sabatini M (2014) A reaction-null/Jacobian transpose control strategy with gravity gradient compensation for on-orbit space manipulators, Aerospace Science and Technology, 38 (October) 30-40.
- Santoni F & Felicetti L (2013) Attitude dynamics and control of drag-balance CubeSats, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 36 (6) 1834-1840.
- Felicetti L & Santoni F (2013) Drag balance Cubesat attitude motion effects on in-situ thermosphere density measurements, Advances in Space Research, 54 (3) 489-498.
- Felicetti L & Santoni F (2013) Nanosatellite swarm missions in low Earth orbit using laser propulsion, Aerospace Science and Technology, 27 (1) 179-187.
- Bellome A, Sanchez J-P, Kemble S & Felicetti L (2021) A multi-fidelity optimization process for complex multiple gravity assist trajectory design. In: 8th International Conference on Astrodynamics Tools and Techniques, Online, 23-25 June 2021.
- Rappasse C, Merlinge N, Agez B & Felicetti L (2021) Multi-disciplinary design optimization for relative navigation in non-cooperative rendezvous. In: IEEE Aerospace Conference (AeroConf 2021), Online, 6-20 March 2021.
- Machuca P, Ozaki N, Sanchez Cuartielles JP, Felicetti L & Funase R (2020) System requirements analysis for JAXA's contribution to Comet Interceptor mission: autonomous navigation, guidance and attitude control for a hyperbolic comet fly-by. In: 71st International Astronautical Congress - the Cyberspace Edition, Online, 12-14 October 2020.
- Barles A, Bilkhu S, Boulnois A, Cuesta Arija FJ, Duarri Albacete G, Easdown W, Estalella Silvela A, Gallego Fernández R, Kent B, Martínez Mariscal J, Martinez Mata A, Pradeep S, Sinclair G, Stephens-Simonazzi B, Yan W & Felicetti L (2020) Mission ORCA: Orbit Refinement for Collision Avoidance. In: 71st International Astronautical Congress - the Cyberspace Edition, Online, 12-14 October 2020.
- Bellome A, Sanchez Cuartielles J-P, Felicetti L & Kemble S (2020) Modified tisserand map exploration for preliminary multiple gravity assist trajectory design. In: 71st International Astronautical Congress - the Cyberspace Edition, Online, 12-14 October 2020.
- Di Fraia MZ, Chermak L, Cuartielles J-P, Felicetti L & Scannapieco AF (2020) NAV-Landmarks: deployable 3D infrastructures to enable CubeSats navigation near asteroids. In: 2020 IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, MT, 7-14 March 2020.
- Felicetti L & Pomares J (2020) Image-based visual servoing control for spacecraft formation flying. In: 2020 IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, MT, 7-14 March 2020.
- De Iuliis A, Ciampa F, Felicetti L & Ceriotti M (2019) Sailing with solar and planetary radiation pressure. In: ISSS 2019: 5th International Symposium on Solar Sailing, Aachen, 30 July - 2 August 2019.
- Pomares J, Felicetti L, Perez J & Emami M (2018) Spacecraft visual servoing with adaptive zooming for non-cooperative rendezvous. In: 2018 IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, 3-10 March 2018.
- Felicetti L & Emami M (2017) Spacecraft formation for debris surveillance. In: 2017 IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, MT, 4-11 March 2017.
- Felicetti L & Palmerini GB (2014) Evaluation of control strategies for spacecraft electrostatic formation keeping. In: 2014 IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, MT, 1-8 March 2014.
- Felicetti L, Sabatini M, Pisculli P & Palmerini GB (2014) Adaptive thrust vector control during on-orbit servicing. In: AIAA SPACE 2014 Conference and Exposition, AIAA SPACE Forum, San Diego, 4-7 August 2014.
- Pagnozzi D, Pisculli A, Felicetti L & Sabatini M (2014) 3D minimum reaction control for space manipulators. In: 65th International Astronautical Congress (IAC-14): Our World Needs Space, 2014, Toronto, 29 September - 3 October 2014.
- Felicetti L & Palmerini GB (2013) A comparison among classical and SDRE techniques in formation flying orbital control. In: 2013 IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, MT, 2-9 March 2013.
- Pisculli A, Felicetti L, Gasbarri P, Palmerini GB & Sabatini M (2013) Deployment analysis and control strategies of flexible space manipulators. In: 2013 International Astronautical Congress (IAC), Beijing, 23-27 September 2013.
- Santoni F & Felicetti L (2013) Magnetic attitude control of a two body system in drag balance instrument implementation. In: 2013 International Astronautical Congress (IAC), Beijing, 23-27 September 2013.
- Felicetti L & Palmerini GB (2012) Coordinated attitude control for multiple heterogeneous satellites missions. In: AIAA/AAS Astrodynamics Specialist Conference 2012, Minneapolis, 13-16 August 2012.
- Palmerini GB, Sabatini M, Gasbarri P, Monti R & Felicetti L (2012) Design of debris removal missions performed by robotic graspers. In: 63rd International Astronautical Congress (IAC-12), 2012, Naples, 1-5 October 2012.
- Felicetti L & Palmerini GB (2012) Formation flying dynamics analysis by means of a virtual multibody approach. In: 1st International Academy of Astronautics Conference on Dynamics and Control of Space Systems, DyCoSS 2012, Porto, 19-21 March 2012.
- Felicetti L & Palmerini GB (2012) Modeling the formationkeeping control with multibody codes. In: 2012 IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, MT, 2-10 March 2012.