Areas of expertise
- Biomass and Waste
- Carbon Capture & Storage
- Carbon, Climate and Risk
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Conventional & Advanced Fuels
- Environmental Impacts
- Systems Engineering
Dr Patchigolla joined Cranfield University in 2009. He is involved in the demonstration of combustion (fluidized, pulverized), gasification (fixed, fluidized), capture of CO2 (Chemical/Calcium looping) and CO2 pipeline transport facilities, evaluating the effects on component durability and gas cleaning requirements of systems using a wide range of solid fuels. These include biomasses, waste and sewage sludge as well as coal either alone or in different co-fired combinations and supervision of research activities using the Pilot Scale Advanced Capture (PACT) facilities.
He has a degree in Chemical Engineering from Andhra University, India, which was followed up with Masters from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT Kanpur, India). Prior to his PhD he gained over 3 years work experience in both industry and higher education institutions. His PhD research was directly related to particle process measurements applied to crystallization operation and graduated in 2007 at Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh.
Prior to this post at Cranfield University, Dr. Patchigolla was a Research Associate at Loughborough University, where he worked on multi dimensional population balance modelling sponsored by EPSRC. Dr Patchigolla has published one book based on his PhD studies and several journal articles.
Dr Kumar Patchigolla is a Lecturer in Carbon Capture and Storage. His research interests are in advanced carbon capture and storage technologies and thermo-chemical energy conversion for power applications.
Dr Patchigolla is responsible for a wide range of energy process facilities, including pilot scale plants for gasification and carbon capture, as well as high pressure flow loop CO2 transport systems. These facilities have been recently extended with fully automated sophisticated gas supply and mixing system, which can permit operation for extended periods.
He is the Module Manager for "Energy production, emissions, carbon capture and storage" within the Energy Masters Programme at Cranfield. He currently supervises several PhD students across a range of low carbon technologies, along with delivering lectures across a number of MSc courses.
His current research activities include:
- CO2 capture by Ca/chemical looping
- Material issues related to pipeline transport
- Measurement and monitoring-CO2 metering
- Flue gas upgrading/conditioning
- High temperature and high pressure reaction engineering
- Advanced bio-energy systems
- Next generation of waste to energy technologies
- Absorption chiller (Li-Br) for CSP applications
In Europe and UK he is a member of a number of networks such as UKCCSRC, UCG association and CO2NET.
Also, in 2012 Dr Patchigolla completed the National Examination Board for Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH) general certification. He provides support/advise across numerous energy facilities.
- EU FP7 & RFCS
- E. ON UK
- RWE npower
- National Grid
- Disruptatek Ltd
Articles In Journals
- Zhai R, Li C, Chen Y, Yang Y, Patchigolla K & Oakey J (2016) Life cycle assessment of solar aided coal-fired power system with and without heat storage, Energy Conversion and Management, 111 453-465.
- Haider SK, Azimi G, Duan L, Anthony EJ, Patchigolla K, Oakey JE, Leion H, Mattisson T & Lyngfelt A (2016) Enhancing properties of iron and manganese ores as oxygen carriers for chemical looping processes by dry impregnation, Applied Energy, 163 41-50.
- Onabanjo T, Patchigolla K, Wagland S, Fidalgo B, Kolios A, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Energy recovery from human faeces via gasification: A thermodynamic equilibrium modelling approach, Energy Conversion and Management, 118 364-376.
- Erans M, Beisheim T, Manovic V, Jeremias M, Patchigolla K, Dieter H, Duan L & Anthony EJ (2016) Effect of SO2 and steam on CO2 capture performance of biomass-templated calcium aluminate pellets, Faraday Discussions, 192 97-111.
- Haider SK, Duan L, Patchigolla K & Anthony EJ (2016) A hydrodynamic study of a fast‐bed dual circulating fluidized bed for chemical looping combustion, Energy Technology (Generation, Coversion, Storage, Distribution), 4 (10) 1254-1262.
- Onabanjo T, Kolios A, Patchigolla K, Wagland ST, Fidalgo B, Jurado N, Hanak DP, Manovic V, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) An experimental investigation of the combustion performance of human faeces, Fuel, 184 (November) 780-791.
- Hanak DP, Kolios A, Onabanjo T, Wagland ST, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Manovic V, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Conceptual energy and water recovery system for self-sustained nano membrane toilet, Energy Conversion and Management, 126 352-361.
- Kavosh M, Patchigolla K, Oakey JE, Anthony EJ, Champagne S & Hughes R (2015) Pressurised calcination-atmospheric carbonation of limestone for cyclic CO2 capture from flue gases, Chemical engineering research and design, 102 116-123.
- Kavosh M, Patchigolla K, Oakey J & Anthony EJ (2014) Carbonation performance of lime for cyclic CO2 capture following limestone calcination in steam/CO2 atmosphere, Applied Energy, 131 499-507.
- Cotton A, Patchigolla K & Oakey JE (2014)
Minor and Trace Element Emissions from Post-Combustion CO2 Capture from Coal: Experimental and Equilibrium Calculations, Fuel, 117 (A) 391-407.
- Cotton A, Finney KN, Patchigolla K, Eatwell-Hall REA, Oakey JE, Swithenbank J & Sharifi V (2014) Quantification of trace element emissions from low-carbon emission energy sources: I. Ca-looping cycle for post-combustion CO2 capture and II. Fixed bed, air blown down-draft gasifier, Chemical Engineering Science, 107 13-29.
- Cotton A, Patchigolla K & Oakey JE (2014) Engineering scale-up challenges, and effects of SO2 on the calcium looping cycle for post combustion CO2 capture, Energy Procedia, 63 6404-6412.
- Patchigolla K, Oakey JE & Anthony EJ (2014) Understanding dense phase CO2 corrosion problems, Energy Procedia, 63 2493-2499.
- Patchigolla K & Oakey JE (2013) Design overview of high pressure dense phase CO2 pipeline transport in flow mode, Energy Procedia, 37 3123-3130.
- Chen HW, Zhao ZH, Patchigolla K & Oakey J (2013) The agglomeration of CaO-based sorbent used to capture CO2 in fluidized bed, Advanced Materials Research, 781-784 2517-2523.
- Chen H, Zhao, Z, Huang X, Patchigolla K, Cotton A & Oakey J (2012) Novel optimised process for utilisation of CaO-based sorbent for capturing CO2 and SO2 sequentially, Energy and Fuels, 26 (9) 5596-5603.
- Chen HW, Zhao ZH, Huang XZ, Patchigolla K, Cotton A & Oakey J (2012) Novel Optimized Process for Utilization of CaO-Based Sorbent for Capturing CO2 and SO2 Sequentially, Energy and Fuels, 26 (9) 5596-5603.
- Chen H, Zhao Z, Huang X, Patchigolla K, Cotton A & Oakey J (2012) Novel optimized process for utilization of CaO-based sorbent for capturing CO 2 and SO 2 sequentially, Energy and Fuels, 26 (9) 5596-5603.
- Yang Y, Zhai R, Duan L, Kavosh M, Patchigolla K & Oakey J (2010) Integration and evaluation of a power plant with a CaO-based CO2 capture system, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 4 (4) 603-612.
- Yang YP, Zhai RR, Duan LQ, Kavosh M, Patchigolla K & Oakey J (2010) Integration and evaluation of a power plant with a CaO-based CO2 capture system, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 4 (4) 603-612.
- Patchigolla K & Wilkinson D (2010) Crystal shape characterisation of dry samples using microscopic and dynamic image analysis, Particle and Particle Systems Characterization, 26 (4) 171-178.
- Patchigolla K & Wilkinson D (2008) Characterization of organic and inorganic chemicals formed by batch-cooling crystallization: Shape and size, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 47 (3) 804-812.
- Patchigolla K, Wilkinson D & Li MZ (2006) Measuring size distribution of organic crystals of different shapes using different technologies, Particle and Particle Systems Characterization, 23 (2) 138-144.
- Li MZ, Wilkinson D & Patchigolla K (2006) Obtaining particle size distribution from chord length measurements, Particle and Particle Systems Characterization, 23 (2) 170-174.
- Li MZ, Wilkinson D & Patchigolla K (2005) Determination of non-spherical particle size distribution from chord length measurements. Part 2: Experimental validation, Chemical Engineering Science, 60 (18) 4992-5003.
- Li M, Wilkinson D & Patchigolla K (2005) Comparison of particle size distributions measured using different techniques, Particulate Science and Technology, 23 (3) 265-284.
- Li MZ, Wilkinson D, Patchigolla K, Mougin P, Roberts KJ & Tweedie R (2004) On-line crystallization process parameter measurements using ultrasonic attenuation spectroscopy, Crystal Growth and Design, 4 (5) 955-963.
- Chowdhury SR, Kumar P, Bhattacharya PK & Kumar A (2001) Separation characteristics of modified polysulfone ultrafiltration membranes using NO x, Separation and Purification Technology, 24 (1-2) 271-282.
- Patchigolla K, Wilkinson D & Li M (2006)
Shape and size of crystallised polymorphic L-glutamate by solution crystallization
- Wilkinson D, Li M & Patchigolla K (2006)
Determining particle size distribution of non-spheres from chord length measurements. In: AIChE Spring National Meeting - 5th World Congress on Particle Technology, Orlando, 23 April 2006.
- Patchigolla K, Wilkinson D & Li M (2006)
Measuring size distribution of organic and inorganic crystals of different shapes using different technologies