Contact Dr Kumar Patchigolla
Areas of expertise
- Biomass and Waste
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- Carbon, Climate and Risk
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Concentrating Solar Power
- Conventional & Advanced Fuels
- Environmental Impacts
- Renewable Energy
- Systems Engineering
Dr Patchigolla joined Cranfield University in 2009, Lecturer in 2012, Senior Lecturer in 2017 and Reader in 2020. During this period he is involved in the demonstration of low temperature heat storage (rock bed), thermal driven absorption chiller (Li-Br), combustion (fluidized, pulverized), gasification (fixed, fluidized), capture of CO2 (Chemical/Calcium looping) and CO2 pipeline and shipping transport facilities, evaluating the effects on component durability and gas cleaning requirements of systems using a wide range of solid fuels. These include biomasses, waste and sewage sludge as well as coal either alone or in different co-fired combinations and supervision of research activities using the Pilot Scale Advanced Capture (PACT) facilities.
He has a degree in Chemical Engineering from Andhra University, India, which was followed up with Masters from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT Kanpur, India). Prior to his PhD he gained over 3 years work experience in both industry and higher education institutions. His PhD research was directly related to particle process measurements applied to crystallization operation and graduated in 2007 at Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh.
Prior to this post at Cranfield University, Dr. Patchigolla was a Research Associate at Loughborough University, where he worked on multi dimensional population balance modelling sponsored by EPSRC. Dr Patchigolla has published one book based on his PhD studies and several journal articles.
Dr. Patchigolla is currently accepting applications for PhD/MRes students in the fields of:
- Integration of thermal energy storage to an existing fossil plants
- SCO2 based heat removal technology for a fusion power plants
- Hydrogen storage reversible solid oxide cell with coal plants for flexible operation
- Solar thermal driven absorption chiller for cooling applications
- Design development of solar desalination concept
- Waste heat recovery options from gas engines
Dr Kumar Patchigolla is currently a Reader in Low Carbon Energy Systems and Advanced Heat Engineering MSc Course Director, with in the Energy and Power theme. He is also the course director for "Advanced Heat Engineering" MSc and the MUSCAT-Cranfield academic relationship coordinator. He completed the National Examination Board for Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH) general certification in 2012.
Kumar’s research is scientifically biased, focused towards fundamental research (bringing TRL 1 to 4), which he applies to a transformative industrial practice (moving TRL from 4 to 7/8). His focus is the development of a world leading research capability in “heat recovery and energy storage” and runs community of practice on this topic at Cranfield. His heat related work also encompasses the capture and utilisation of waste heat, where he has been able to prove that, were the technology fully developed, these techniques could offer an economical way to maximise efficiency and minimise waste generation. He performs experimental, theoretical and thermodynamics research into many aspects of energy systems, as a key member of the PACT facilities operation at Cranfield. PI of the CO2LIQUID project on CO2 shipping-compression, liquefaction and dehydration and follow on projects on recovering liquefication cost by cold energy utilisation. In addition he is working on improving efficiency, reliability and flexibility of fossil plants. More recently he has been applying his knowledge in solar based renewables through H2020 project (WASCOP & SOLWARIS), in particularly developing an emerging technologies for the reduced use of the water needed to cool the power block for different operating conditions depending on geographical location, climate conditions and access to water.
He is responsible for a wide range of energy process facilities, including pilot scale plants for heat capture and storage, advanced energy systems, absorption chillers, desalination, as well as high pressure flow loop CO2 transport systems. These facilities have been recently extended with fully automated sophisticated gas supply and mixing system, which can permit operation for extended periods.
He is the Module Manager for "Industrial Thermal Operations" and "Advanced Heat Exchanger Design" within the Energy and Power Masters Programme at Cranfield. He currently supervises several PhD students across a range of low carbon technologies, along with delivering lectures across a number of MSc courses.
He is a member of the International Flame Research Foundation (IFRF) Editorial Board and one of the academic directors of British Flame Research Committee (BFRC) .
His current research activities include:
- CO2 compression, Liquefaction and dehydration-CO2LIQUID (EPSRC)
- Supercritical CO2 cycles with energy storage (BF2RA)
- Understanding the chemical complexity in controlling air pollution problems (Royal Society-NSFC)
- Low grade heat recovery to drive absorption chiller and desalination units (Newton-Mosharafa Institutional links)
- WASCOP and SOLWARIS on concentrated solar power plants (H2020)
- Solar desalination (Solar Water)
- Improving efficiency, reliability and flexibility of power plants (US DoE-Siemens)
- Nano-membrane toilet - Phase II & III (Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation)
- Multipurpose Applications by Thermodynamic Solar (MATS) (FP7)
- Yorkshire Water SPC Gasification trials
- UK-China cooperation for technology transfer to establish the co-utilisation of waste biomass with coal (TSB)
- The effects of impurities for capture technologies on CO2 compression (BCURA)
- Energy from waste: Characterization of UK waste streams and assessment of energy from waste technology opportunities (ETI)
- Materials for Next Generation CO2 Transport Systems (MATTRAN) (EPSRC)
- Joint UK-china hydrogen production network (EPSRC)
In Europe and UK he is a member of a number of networks such as UKCCSRC, IFRF, ETN, BFRC, UCG association and CO2NET.
- British Council-Newton Institutional Links
- Royal Society
- EU FP7, H2020 & RFCS
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Solar Water
- EGB Engineering
- E. ON UK
- RWE npower
- National Grid
- Disruptatek Ltd
- Bowman Power
- Heat Recovery Solutions
Articles In Journals
- Liu H, Zhai R, Patchigolla K, Turner P & Yang Y (2021) Model predictive control of a combined solar tower and parabolic trough aided coal-fired power plant, Applied Thermal Engineering, Available online 23 April 2021, Article No. 116998.
- Mukelabai MD, Gillard JM & Patchigolla K (2021) A novel integration of a green power-to-ammonia to power system: Reversible solid oxide fuel cell for hydrogen and power production coupled with an ammonia synthesis unit, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Available online 31 March 2021.
- Al Baroudi H, Awoyomi A, Patchigolla K, Jonnalagadda K & Anthony EJ (2021) A review of large-scale CO2 shipping and marine emissions management for carbon capture, utilisation and storage, Applied Energy, 287 (April) Article No. 116510.
- Thanganadar D, Fornarelli F, Camporeale S, Asfand F & Patchigolla K (2021) Off-design and annual performance analysis of supercritical carbon dioxide cycle with thermal storage for CSP application, Applied Energy, 282 (A) Article No. 116200. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.13232378.v1
- Liu H, Zhai R, Patchigolla K, Turner P & Yang Y (2021) Off-design thermodynamic performances of a combined solar tower and parabolic trough aided coal-fired power plant, Applied Thermal Engineering, 183, Part 1, Article No. 116199.
- Yan Y, Thanganadar D, Clough PT, Mukherjee S, Patchigolla K, Manovic V & Anthony EJ (2020) Process simulations of blue hydrogen production by upgraded sorption enhanced steam methane reforming (SE-SMR) processes, Energy Conversion and Management, 222 (October) Article No. 113144.
- Liu H, Zhai R, Patchigolla K, Turner P & Yang Y (2020) Performance analysis of a novel combined solar trough and tower aided coal-fired power generation system, Energy, 201 (June) Article No. 117597.
- Ukanwa KS, Patchigolla K, Sakrabani R & Anthony E (2020) Preparation and characterisation of activated carbon from palm mixed waste treated with trona ore, Molecules, 25 (21) Article No. 5028.
- Asfand F, Palenzuela P, Roca L, Caron A, Lemarié CA, Gillard J, Turner P & Patchigolla K (2020) Thermodynamic performance and water consumption of hybrid cooling system configurations for concentrated solar power plants, Sustainability, 12 (11) Article No. 4739.
- Abdulkarim HT, Sansom CL, Patchigolla K & King P (2020) Statistical and economic analysis of solar radiation and climatic data for the development of solar PV system in Nigeria, Energy Reports, 6, Suppl 1 309-316.
- Liu H, Zhai R, Patchigolla K, Turner P & Yang Y (2020) Analysis of integration method in multi-heat-source power generation systems based on finite-time thermodynamics, Energy Conversion and Management, 220 (September) Article No. 113069.
- Anyaoha KE, Sakrabani R, Patchigolla K & Mouazen AM (2020) Co-gasification of oil palm biomass in a pilot scale downdraft gasifier, Energy Reports, 6 (November) 1888-1896.
- Li C, Zhai R, Yang Y, Patchigolla K, Oakey JE & Turner P (2019) Annual performance analysis and optimization of a solar tower aided coal-fired power plant, Applied Energy, 237 (March) 440-456.
- Thanganadar D, Asfand F & Patchigolla K (2019) Thermal performance and economic analysis of supercritical carbon dioxide cycles in combined cycle power plant, Applied Energy, 255 (December) Article No. 113836. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.9783818
- Awoyomi A, Patchigolla K & Anthony EJ (2019) CO2/SO2 emission reduction in CO2 shipping infrastructure, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 88 (September) 57-70. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.8199254
- Awoyomi A, Patchigolla K & Anthony EJ (2019) Process and economic evaluation of an on-board capture system for LNG-fuelled CO2 carriers, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, Available online 27 November 2019 (15). Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.11346737
- Ukanwa K, Patchigolla K, Sakrabani R, Anthony B & Mandavgane S (2019) A review of chemicals to produce activated carbon from agricultural waste biomass, Sustainability, 11 (22) Article No. 6204.
- Li C, Yang Z, Zhai R, Yang Y, Patchigolla K & Oakey JE (2018) Off-design thermodynamic performances of a solar tower aided coal-fired power plant for different solar multiples with thermal energy storage, Energy, 163 (November) 956-968.
- Jurado N, Somorin T, Kolios AJ, Wagland S, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L & Tyrrel S (2018) Design and commissioning of a multi-mode prototype for thermochemical conversion of human faeces, Energy Conversion and Management, 163 507-524.
- Li C, Zhai R, Yang Y, Patchigolla K & Oakey J (2018) Thermal performance of different integration schemes for a solar tower aided coal-fired power system, Energy Conversion and Management, 171 (September) 1237-1245.
- Anyaoha KE, Sakrabani R, Patchigolla K & Mouazen AM (2018) Evaluating oil palm fresh fruit bunch processing in Nigeria, Waste Management and Research, 36 (3) 236-246.
- Anyaoha KE, Sakrabani R, Patchigolla K & Mouazen AM (2018) Critical evaluation of oil palm fresh fruit bunch solid wastes as soil amendments: Prospects and challenges, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 136 (September) 399-409.
- Haider SK, Azimi G, Duan L, Anthony EJ, Patchigolla K, Oakey JE, Leion H, Mattisson T & Lyngfelt A (2016) Enhancing properties of iron and manganese ores as oxygen carriers for chemical looping processes by dry impregnation, Applied Energy, 163 41-50.
- Onabanjo T, Kolios A, Patchigolla K, Wagland ST, Fidalgo B, Jurado N, Hanak DP, Manovic V, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) An experimental investigation of the combustion performance of human faeces, Fuel, 184 (November) 780-791.
- Onabanjo T, Patchigolla K, Wagland S, Fidalgo B, Kolios A, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Energy recovery from human faeces via gasification: A thermodynamic equilibrium modelling approach, Energy Conversion and Management, 118 364-376.
- Haider SK, Duan L, Patchigolla K & Anthony EJ (2016) A hydrodynamic study of a fast‐bed dual circulating fluidized bed for chemical looping combustion, Energy Technology: Generation, Coversion, Storage, Distribution, 4 (10) 1254-1262.
- Zhai R, Li C, Chen Y, Yang Y, Patchigolla K & Oakey J (2016) Life cycle assessment of solar aided coal-fired power system with and without heat storage, Energy Conversion and Management, 111 (March) 453-465.
- Hanak DP, Kolios A, Onabanjo T, Wagland ST, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Manovic V, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Conceptual energy and water recovery system for self-sustained nano membrane toilet, Energy Conversion and Management, 126 352-361.
- Erans M, Beisheim T, Manovic V, Jeremias M, Patchigolla K, Dieter H, Duan L & Anthony EJ (2016) Effect of SO2 and steam on CO2 capture performance of biomass-templated calcium aluminate pellets, Faraday Discussions, 192 97-111.
- Kavosh M, Patchigolla K, Oakey JE, Anthony EJ, Champagne S & Hughes R (2015) Pressurised calcination-atmospheric carbonation of limestone for cyclic CO2 capture from flue gases, Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 102 116-123.
- Kavosh M, Patchigolla K, Oakey J & Anthony EJ (2014) Carbonation performance of lime for cyclic CO2 capture following limestone calcination in steam/CO2 atmosphere, Applied Energy, 131 499-507.
- Cotton A, Patchigolla K & Oakey JE (2014) Engineering scale-up challenges, and effects of SO2 on the calcium looping cycle for post combustion CO2 capture, Energy Procedia, 63 6404-6412.
- Cotton A, Finney KN, Patchigolla K, Eatwell-Hall REA, Oakey JE, Swithenbank J & Sharifi V (2014) Quantification of trace element emissions from low-carbon emission energy sources: I. Ca-looping cycle for post-combustion CO2 capture and II. Fixed bed, air blown down-draft gasifier, Chemical Engineering Science, 107 13-29.
- Patchigolla K, Oakey JE & Anthony EJ (2014) Understanding dense phase CO2 corrosion problems, Energy Procedia, 63 2493-2499.
- Cotton A, Patchigolla K & Oakey JE (2014) Minor and Trace Element Emissions from Post-Combustion CO2 Capture from Coal: Experimental and Equilibrium Calculations, Fuel, 117 (A) 391-407.
- Patchigolla K & Oakey JE (2013) Design overview of high pressure dense phase CO2 pipeline transport in flow mode, Energy Procedia, 37 3123-3130.
- Chen HW, Zhao ZH, Patchigolla K & Oakey J (2013) The agglomeration of CaO-based sorbent used to capture CO2 in fluidized bed, Advanced Materials Research, 781-784 2517-2523.
- Chen H, Zhao, Z, Huang X, Patchigolla K, Cotton A & Oakey J (2012) Novel optimised process for utilisation of CaO-based sorbent for capturing CO2 and SO2 sequentially, Energy and Fuels, 26 (9) 5596-5603.
- Chen HW, Zhao ZH, Huang XZ, Patchigolla K, Cotton A & Oakey J (2012) Novel Optimized Process for Utilization of CaO-Based Sorbent for Capturing CO2 and SO2 Sequentially, Energy and Fuels, 26 (9) 5596-5603.
- Yang Y, Zhai R, Duan L, Kavosh M, Patchigolla K & Oakey J (2010) Integration and evaluation of a power plant with a CaO-based CO2 capture system, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 4 (4) 603-612.
- Yang YP, Zhai RR, Duan LQ, Kavosh M, Patchigolla K & Oakey J (2010) Integration and evaluation of a power plant with a CaO-based CO2 capture system, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 4 (4) 603-612.
- Patchigolla K & Wilkinson D (2010) Crystal shape characterisation of dry samples using microscopic and dynamic image analysis, Particle and Particle Systems Characterization, 26 (4) 171-178.
- Patchigolla K & Wilkinson D (2008) Characterization of organic and inorganic chemicals formed by batch-cooling crystallization: Shape and size, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 47 (3) 804-812.
- Li MZ, Wilkinson D & Patchigolla K (2006) Obtaining particle size distribution from chord length measurements, Particle and Particle Systems Characterization, 23 (2) 170-174.
- Patchigolla K, Wilkinson D & Li MZ (2006) Measuring size distribution of organic crystals of different shapes using different technologies, Particle and Particle Systems Characterization, 23 (2) 138-144.
- Li MZ, Wilkinson D & Patchigolla K (2005) Determination of non-spherical particle size distribution from chord length measurements. Part 2: Experimental validation, Chemical Engineering Science, 60 (18) 4992-5003.
- Li M, Wilkinson D & Patchigolla K (2005) Comparison of particle size distributions measured using different techniques, Particulate Science and Technology, 23 (3) 265-284.
- Li MZ, Wilkinson D, Patchigolla K, Mougin P, Roberts KJ & Tweedie R (2004) On-line crystallization process parameter measurements using ultrasonic attenuation spectroscopy, Crystal Growth and Design, 4 (5) 955-963.
- Chowdhury SR, Kumar P, Bhattacharya PK & Kumar A (2001) Separation characteristics of modified polysulfone ultrafiltration membranes using NO x, Separation and Purification Technology, 24 (1-2) 271-282.
- Chowdhury JI, Asfand F, Hu Y, Balta-ozkan N, Varga L & Patchigolla K. (2019) Waste heat recovery potential from industrial bakery ovens using thermodynamic power cycles. In: 32nd International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact of Energy Systems (ECOS), Wroclaw, 23-28 June 2019.
- Patchigolla K, Wilkinson D & Li M (2006)
Shape and size of crystallised polymorphic L-glutamate by solution crystallization
- Wilkinson D, Li M & Patchigolla K (2006)
Determining particle size distribution of non-spheres from chord length measurements. In: AIChE Spring National Meeting - 5th World Congress on Particle Technology, Orlando, 23 April 2006.
- Patchigolla K, Wilkinson D & Li M (2006)
Measuring size distribution of organic and inorganic crystals of different shapes using different technologies