Contact Dr Kriti Mukherjee
My area of interest is remote sensing and geospatial data analysis. My work revolves around applications of geographic information science,
photogrammetry, image processing, data science, and machine learning tools and techniques
to understand and model various environmental changes and extreme events.
My research is centered on the comprehensive assessment and continuous monitoring of both short and long-term transformations in land and water resources, with a particular focus on their susceptibility to climate changes and extremes. I am dedicated to developing an automated methodology that utilizes a combination of cutting-edge remote sensing techniques and advanced modeling approaches to estimate water resources derived from high mountain glaciers. Additionally, I am expanding my expertise to gain deeper insights into climate-induced, glacier-induced, and land-induced geohazards, exploring their potential threats to the accessibility and utilization of available resources. As an active member of the Cranfield Land Information System (LandIS) team, I contribute to leveraging extensive soil data covering England and Wales. This valuable dataset provides rich insights into our land resources. Collaborating closely with esteemed organizations such as the Environment Agency, Defra, and Natural England, we are collectively exploring solutions to mitigate the impacts of climate change, aligning with the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Recognizing the significance of disseminating knowledge, I am actively engaged as a lead and co-author in the creation of several impactful publications. I extend my sincere gratitude to my collaborators whose support has played a pivotal role in shaping the aims and outcomes of my research.
Articles In Journals
- Bhattacharya A, Mukherjee K, King O, Karmakar S, Remya SN, Kulkarni AV, Kropáček J & Bolch T (2023) Influence of climate and non-climatic attributes on declining glacier mass budget and surging in Alaknanda Basin and its surroundings, Global and Planetary Change, 230 (November) Article No. 104260.
- Mukherjee K, Menounos B, Shea J, Mortezapour M, Ednie M & Demuth MN (2022) Evaluation of surface mass-balance records using geodetic data and physically-based modelling, Place and Peyto glaciers, western Canada, Journal of Glaciology.
- Geertsema M, Menounos B, Bullard G, Carrivick JL, Clague JJ, Dai C, Donati D, Ekstrom G, Jackson JM, Lynett P, Pichierri M, Pon A, Shugar DH, Stead D, Del Bel Belluz J, Friele P, Giesbrecht I, Heathfield D, Millard T, Nasonova S, Schaeffer AJ, Ward BC, Blaney D, Blaney E, Brillon C, Bunn C, Floyd W, Higman B, Hughes KE, McInnes W, Mukherjee K & Sharp MA (2022) The 28 November 2020 landslide, tsunami, and outburst flood – a hazard cascade associated with rapid deglaciation at Elliot Creek, British Columbia, Canada, Geophysical Research Letters, 49 (6) Article No. e2021GL096716.
- Bhattacharya A, Bolch T, Mukherjee K, King O, Menounos B, Kapitsa V, Neckel N, Yang W & Yao T (2021) High Mountain Asian glacier response to climate revealed by multi-temporal satellite observations since the 1960s, Nature Communications, 12 (1) Article No. 4133.
- Pradhananga D, Pomeroy JW, Aubry-Wake C, Munro DS, Shea J, Demuth MN, Kirat NH, Menounos B & Mukherjee K (2021) Hydrometeorological, glaciological and geospatial research data from the Peyto Glacier Research Basin in the Canadian Rockies, Earth System Science Data, 13 (6) 2875-2894.
- Vionnet V, Marsh CB, Menounos B, Gascoin S, Wayand NE, Shea J, Mukherjee K & Pomeroy JW (2021) Multi-scale snowdrift-permitting modelling of mountain snowpack, Cryosphere, 15 (2) 743-769.
- Mukherjee K, Bhattacharya A, Pieczonka T, Ghosh S & Bolch T (2018) Glacier mass budget and climate reanalysis data indicate a climatic shift around 2000 in Lahaul-Spiti, western Himalaya, Climatic Change, 148 (1-2) 219-233.
- Bhattacharya A & Mukherjee K (2017) Review on InSAR based displacement monitoring of Indian Himalayas: issues, challenges and possible advanced alternatives, Geocarto International, 32 (3) 298-321.
- Mukherjee K, Bolch T, Goerlich F, Kutuzov S, Osmonov A, Pieczonka T & Shesterova I (2017) Surge-type glaciers in the Tien Shan (Central Asia), Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research, 49 (1) 147-171.
- Goerlich F, Bolch T, Mukherjee K & Pieczonka T (2017) Glacier mass loss during the 1960s and 1970s in the Ak-Shirak range (Kyrgyzstan) from multiple stereoscopic Corona and Hexagon imagery, Remote Sensing, 9 (3) Article No. 275.
- Bolch T, Pieczonka T, Mukherjee K & Shea J (2017) Brief communication: Glaciers in the Hunza catchment (Karakoram) have been nearly in balance since the 1970s, Cryosphere, 11 (1) 531-539.
- Bhattacharya A, Bolch T, Mukherjee K, Pieczonka T, Kropáček J & Buchroithner MF (2016) Overall recession and mass budget of Gangotri Glacier, Garhwal Himalayas, from 1965 to 2015 using remote sensing data, Journal of Glaciology, 62 (236) 1115-1133.
- Bhattacharya A, Mukherjee K, Kuri M, Vöge M, Sharma ML, Arora MK & Bhasin RK (2015) Potential of SAR intensity tracking technique to estimate displacement rate in a landslide-prone area in Haridwar region, India, Natural Hazards, 79 (3) 2101-2121.