Contact Dr Kevin Mullaney
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754682
- Email: email@example.com
Areas of expertise
- Aerospace Structures
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Sensor Technologies
- Surface Engineering
- Systems Engineering
- Welding and Laser Processing
Kevin Mullaney received a B.Sc. degree in physics and economics from Keele University in 1982. He undertook his Ph.D. degree on the CO2 laser processing of fiber tapers and fiber Bragg gratings at Cranfield University. He is currently a Research Fellow in the Centre for Engineering Photonics, Cranfield University. He has industrial experience in product development for space, military, telecommunication and aerospace optical applications. He holds three patents in optical coatings for space applications and wavelength locking systems for tunable lasers.
BladeSense: Developing helicopter blade optical sensing techniques for an Airbus H135 helicopter. The project uses both fibre optic shape and strain sensing technology to monitor rotor blades while rotating, and communicates via Wi-Fi to cockpit health monitoring systems. Personal contribution includes ruggedized mechanical design incorporating innovative interferometric signal processing and vibration testing of key components.
NEWAM: Developing an optical pyrometer to monitor the the process temperatures of wire additive manufacture (WAM) welding processes.
Airbus Helicopters UK
Welding Centre, Cranfield University
Articles In Journals
- Kissinger T, James SW, Weber S, Mullaney K, Chehura E, Pekmezci HH, Barrington JH, Staines SE, Charrett T, Lawson NJ, Lone M, Atack R & Tatam RP (2022) Fibre-optic measurement of strain and shape on a helicopter rotor blade during a ground run: 2. Measurement of shape, Smart Materials and Structures, 31 (7) Article No. 075015. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.16974757.v2
- James SW, Kissinger T, Weber S, Mullaney K, Chehura E, Pekmezci HH, Barrington JH, Staines SE, Charrett T, Lawson NJ, Lone M, Atack R & Tatam RP (2022) Fibre-optic measurement of strain and shape on a helicopter rotor blade during a ground run: 1. Measurement of strain, Smart Materials and Structures, 31 (7) Article No. 075014. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.16974649.v2
- Weber S, Kissinger T, Chehura E, Staines S, Barrington J, Mullaney K, Zanotti Fragonara L, Petrunin I, James S, Lone M & Tatam R (2021) Application of fibre optic sensing systems to measure rotor blade structural dynamics, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 158 (September) Article No. 107758. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.13806794
- Mullaney K, Staines SE, James SW & Tatam RP (2018) Optimized process for fabricating ultrashort tapered long period gratings, Journal of Lightwave Technology, 36 (4) 1091-1096. Dataset/s: 10.1109/JLT.2017.2769805
- Tiwari D, Mullaney K, Korposh S, James SW, Lee S-W & Tatam RP (2017) An ammonia sensor based on Lossy Mode Resonances on a tapered optical fibre coated with porphyrin-incorporated titanium dioxide, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 242 (April) 645-652. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.4055010.v1
- Urrutia A, Bojan K, Marques L, Mullaney K, Goicoechea J, James S, Clark M, Tatam R & Korposh S (2016) Novel highly sensitive protein sensors based on tapered optical fibres modified with Au-based nanocoatings, Journal of Sensors, 2016 Article No. 8129387.
- Weber S, Southgate D, Mullaney K, James S, Rutherford R, Sharma A, Lone M, Kissinger T, Chehura E, Staines S, Pekmezci H, Fragonara LZ, Petrunin I, Williams D, Moulitsas I, Cooke A, Lawson N, Rosales W, Tatam R, Morrish P, Fairhurst M, Atack R, Bailey G & Morley S (2018) Bladesense – a novel approach for measuring dynamic helicopter rotor blade deformation. In: 44th European Rotorcraft Forum (ERF 2018), Delft, 18-21 September 2018.
- Tiwari D, Mullaney K, Korposh S, James SW, Lee SW & Tatam RP (2016) Ammonia sensing using lossy mode resonances in a tapered optical fibre coated with porphyrin-incorporated titanium dioxide. In: 6th European Workshop on Optical Fibre Sensors (EWOFS'2016), Limerick, 30-31 May 2016.