Contact Dr Karthik Depuru Mohan
Areas of expertise
- Aeronautical Systems
- Aircraft Design
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Flight Physics
- Gas Turbines & Propulsion
- Vehicle Aerodynamics
- Weapons Engineering
Dr Karthik Depuru-Mohan is Research Fellow at Cranfield University. He is now based at the Defence Academy of the UK. He performs research on aerodynamics, aeroacoustics and turbomachinery for aerospace, automobile, energy and defence applications. To address global engineering challenges, he applies a balanced approach among experiment, computation and theory.
Prior to joining Cranfield University, he has performed research at the NASA Langley Research Center, German Aerospace Center, GE John F. Welch Technology Center, University of Cambridge, University of Oxford, Technical University of Berlin and Indian Institute of Technology, Madras. He was seconded to the UK Government to work on a project as part of developing the evidence base for the 2015 Spending Review. He was invited to present his work at the Global Science and Innovation Forum.
He earned a PhD in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Cambridge. He holds two US patents on gas turbine sealing technology. In recognition of his academic excellence, he has been awarded several prestigious fellowships and scholarships. He has published nearly 20 research articles in leading journals and international conferences. One of his research papers was listed in the 10 most read articles of the AIAA Journal. He is a reviewer for top journals and a senior member of learned societies. He also holds an honorary position at the University of Cambridge.
Prospective MSc and PhD students
are encouraged to email him directly to discuss possible research projects and
funding opportunities. Please email him your covering letter and CV in the
His research interests are jet mixing enhancement; jet noise reduction; aircraft engine installation effects; aerofoil noise reduction; flow and noise control techniques; reduction of emissions from aircraft and automobiles; motorsport aerodynamics; ground effects; gas turbine secondary flows; and defence engineering.
Articles In Journals
- Manovski P, Novara M, Depuru Mohan NK, Geisler R, Schanz D, Agocs J, Godbersen P & Schroder A. (2021) 3D Lagrangian Particle Tracking of a subsonic jet using Multi-Pulse Shake-The-Box, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, Available online 19 January 2021 Article No. 110346.
- Depuru Mohan NK & Dowling AP (2016) Jet-noise-prediction model for chevrons and microjets, AIAA Journal, 54 (12) 3928-3940.
- Depuru Mohan NK, Dowling AP, Karabasov SA, Xia H, Graham O, Hynes TP & Tucker PG (2015) Acoustic sources and far-field noise of chevron and round jets, AIAA Journal, 53 (9) 2421-2436.
- Depuru Mohan NK, Greenblatt D, Nayeri CN, Paschereit CO & Panchapakesan NR (2015) Vortex-enhanced mixing through active and passive flow control methods, Experiments in Fluids, 56 (3) Article No. 51.