Contact Dr Jonathan Painter
- Tel: +44 (0) 1793 785392
- Email: email@example.com
Areas of expertise
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Structures and Materials
Dr Jonathan Painter runs the microscopy laboratories. He undertakes materials and failure analysis investigations for industry and lectures on microscopy and materials related subjects.
A degree in Applied Physics from Staffordshire University was followed by a post as a research technician before starting a PhD at Cranfield University. After a Postdoc position he became the microscopy manager at Cranfield University.
Current activitiesJonathan's interests and activities cover multiple areas which benefit from the use of electron microscopy; materials failures including high strain rate, firearms discharge residues (or gunshot residues) as well as a thin film photovoltaics. He lectures on the Forensic Programme and various short courses related to materials failures. He has served as Secretary and is currently the Chair of the Materials and Characterisation Group of the Institute of Physics.
Jonathan regularly undertakes consultancy for industry, typical examples include defect identification,decohesive and adhesive coating failures and component failure analyses.
- A large number of local, national and international industrial clients.
Articles In Journals
- Ascough PL, Brock F, Collinson ME, Painter JD, Lane DW & Bird MI (2020) Chemical characteristics of macroscopic pyrogenic carbon following millennial-scale environmental exposure, Frontiers in Environmental Science, 7 (January) Article No. 203.
- Appleby-Thomas GJ, Jaansalu K, Hameed A, Painter J, Shackel J & Rowley J (2019) A comparison of the ballistic behaviour of conventionally sintered and additively manufactured alumina, Defence Technology, 16 (2) 275-282.
- Hazael R, Matsuda S, Mori Y, Fitzmaurice BC, Appleby-Thomas G, Painter JD, Meersman F, Richaud M, Galas S, Saini NL, Ono F & McMillan PF (2019) Pressure tolerance of Artemia cysts compressed in water medium, High Pressure Research, 39 (2) Article No. GHPR 1575378.
- Appleby-Thomas GJ, Fitzmaurice B, Hameed A, Painter J, Gibson M, Wood DC, Hazael R & Hazell PJ (2018) On differences in the equation-of-state for a selection of seven representative mammalian tissue analogue materials, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 77 (January) 586-593.
- Painter JD, Fitzmaurice BC, Goff M, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC & Pinto T (2017) On a novel graded areal density solution to facilitate ramp wave generation in plate-impact studies, AIP Conference Proceedings, 1793 (1) Article No. 060017.
- Appleby-Thomas GJ, Fitzmaurice BC, Hameed A, Wood DC, Gibson MC & Painter J (2017) The shock response and suitability of Synbone (R) as a tissue simulant, AIP Conference Proceedings, 1793 (1) Article No. 140009.
- Fitzmaurice BC, Painter JD, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC, Hazael R & McMillan PF (2017) On the response of Escherichia coli to high rates of deformation, AIP Conference Proceedings, 1793 (1) Article No. 140002.
- Shackel J, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC, Painter J, Patel AK, Wielewski E, Hazell PJ & Terzulli LP (2017) On the influence of texture on spall evolution in the HCP materials Ti-6Al-4V and Zr, AIP Conference Proceedings, 1793 (1) Article No. 100010.
- Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC, Hameed A, Painter J & Fitzmaurice B (2017) On the effects of powder morphology on the post-comminution ballistic strength of ceramics, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 100 (February) 46-55.
- Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC, Hameed A, Painter J, Le-Seelleur V & Fitzmaurice BC (2016) Investigation of the high-strain rate (shock and ballistic) response of the elastomeric tissue simulant Perma-Gel, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 94 (August) 74-82.
- Degryse P, Lobo L, Shortland A, Vanhaecke F, Blomme A, Painter J, Gimeno D, Eremin K, Greene J, Kirk S & Walton M (2015) Isotopic investigation into the raw materials of Late Bronze Age glass making, Journal of Archaeological Science, 62 (October) 153-160.
- Hazell PJ, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC & Painter JD (2014) The shock and spall response of AA 7010-T7651, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 500 (Part 11) Article No. 112032.
- Bolton-King RS, Bencsik M, Evans JPO, Smith CL, Allsop DF, Painter JD & Cranton WM (2012) Numerical classification of curvilinear structures for the identification of pistol barrels, Forensic Science International, 220 (1-3) 197-209.
- Colombara D, Peter LM, Rogers KD, Painter JD & Roncallo S (2011) Formation of CuSbS2 and CuSbSe2 thin films via chalcogenisation of Sb-Cu metal precursors, Thin Solid Films, 519 (21) 7438-7443.
- Roncallo S, Painter JD, Healy MJF, Ritchie SA, Finnis MV, Rogers KD, Scragg JJ, Dale PJ & Zoppi G (2011) Effects of different needles and substrates on CuInS2 deposited by electrostatic spray deposition, Thin Solid Films, 519 (11) 3544-3551.
- Hazell PJ, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Herlaar K & Painter J (2010) Inelastic deformation and failure of tungsten carbide under ballistic-loading conditions, Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, 527 (29-30) 7638-7645.
- Roncallo Scilla, Painter Jonathan, Ritchie Simon, Cousins Michael, Finnis Mark & Rogers Keith (2010) Evaluation of different deposition conditions on thin films deposited by electrostatic spray deposition using a uniformity test, Thin Solid Films, 518 (17) 4821-4827.
- Roncallo S, Painter JD, Cousins MA, Lane DW & Rogers KD (2008) A method to quantify the degree of uniformity of thickness of thin films, Thin Solid Films, 516 (23) 8493-8497.
- Healy MJF, Torres M & Painter JD (2006) A software tool enabling the analysis of small lateral features without the use of a microbeam, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms, 249 (1-2) 789-791.
- Painter JD, Fulford M, Sim D & Doig A (2005) In defence of Rome: a metallographic investigation of Roman ferrous armour from Northern Britain, Journal of Archaeological Science, 32 (2) 241-250.
- Lane DW, Painter JD, Rogers KD, Forbes I, Miles RW & Hynes KM (2005) Dendritic CuIn films grown by electroless deposition, MRS Online Proceedings Library, 836 155-160.
- Ketipearachchi US, Lane DW, Rogers KD, Painter JD & Cousins MA (2005) Bath pH dependence on the structural and optical properties of chemical bath deposited CdS thin films, MRS Online Proceedings Library, 836 161-166.
- Painter JD, Rogers KD, Lane DW & Chapman A (2004) Structural characterisation of sprayed TiO2 films for extremely thin absorber layer solar cells, Thin Solid Films, 466 (1) 97-102.
- Painter JD, Cousins MA, Lane DW, Conibeer GJ & Rogers KD (2003) Sulphur diffusion in cadmium telluride thin films (part 2): Modelling grain boundary diffusion, Thin Solid Films, 431 431-432 78.
- Lane DW, Cousins MA, Painter JD, Conibeer GJ & Rogers KD (2003) Sulfur diffusion in cadmium telluride thin films (part 1): The grain boundary diffusion coefficient, Thin Solid Films, 431-432 73-77.
- Painter JD, Rogers KD, Chapman AJ & Lane DW (2003) The structural features of Ti02 thin films formed by pyrosol methods, Journal of Materials Science, 14 (9) 573-577.
- Rogers KD, Lane DW, Chapman AJ & Painter JD (2003) The structural features of TiO2 thin films formed by pyrosol methods, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, 14 (9) 573-577.
- Rogers KD, Wood DA, Painter JD, Lane DW & Ozsan ME (2000) Novel depth profiling in CdS-CdTe thin films, Thin Solid Films, 361 234-238.
- Lane DW, Rogers KD, Painter JD, Wood DA & Ozsan ME (2000) Structural dynamics in CdS-CdTe thin films, Thin Solid Films, 361 1-8.
- Rogers KD, Painter JD, Lane DW & Healy M (1999) The Structural Changes in CdS-CdTe Thin Films Due to Annealing, Journal of Electronic Materials, 28 (2) 112-117.
- Rogers KD, Painter JD, Healy MJ, Lane DW & Ozsan ME (1999) The crystal structure of CdS-CdTe thin film heterojunction solar cells, Thin Solid Films, 339 (1-2) 299-304.
- Vachirawongsakorn V, Marquez-Grant N, Painter J, Beckett S & Greenwood C (2018) Taphonomic processes of chop marks in terrestrial and buried environments: A micro-CT and stereo-microscopic study [poster]. In: Taphos-Nomos 2018, School of Forensic and Applied Sciences, University of Central Lancashire, Preston, 2-4 November 2018.
- Appleby-Thomas G, Fitzmaurice B, Hameed A, Wood D, Gibson M & Painter J (2015) On the suitability of Synbone® as a tissue simulant.. In: 19th Biennial International Conference of the APS Topical Group on Shock Compression of Condensed Matter (SCCM-2015), Tampa, Florida, 14-19 June 2015.
- Painter JD, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Hazell PJ, Winter RE, Harris EJ , Owen GD & Wood DC (2012) On the importance of encapsulation environment for lateral gauges. In: 17th Biennial international Conference of the American Physical Society Topical Group on Shock Compression of Condensed Matter, Chicago, IL, 26 June - 1 July 2011.
- Wakeling B, Ketipearachchi US, Lane DW, Degamber B, Painter JD, Cousins MA & Rogers KD (2007) In-situ analysis of cadmium sulphide deposited by ultrasonic assisted chemical bath. In: PVSAT-3 Conference, Durham University, UK.
- Peach DF, Lane DW, Sellwood MJ & Painter JD (2006) An assessment of surface heating during ion beam analysis II: Application to biological materials. In: 17th international conference on ion beam analysis, Sevilla, 26 June - 1 July 2005.
- Painter JD, Morgan NB & Moffat A (2003) Mean Strain Effects and Microstructural Observations During In-vitro Fatigue Testing of NiTi. In: Shape Memory and Superelastic Technologies, California, 5 May 2003.
- Painter JD, Rogers KD & Lane DW (1998) An investigation into the effect of annealing on the microstructure of CdTe/CdS solar cells. In: Workshop on Growth and Processing of Materials for Electronics at Materials Congress 98.
- Healy MJF, Torres M & Painter JD Analysis of laterally inhomogeneous structures without microbeam or IEM. In: 17th international conference on ion beam analysis, Sevilla, 26 June 2005.