Jonathan is a lecturer in materials. He was the Course Director for the Forensic Engineering and Science MSc between 2015-2020, and developed modules teaching various aspects of failure analysis based on his practical experience of undertaking failure investigations.
His first degree was in Applied Physics, followed by a PhD in materials characterisation of thin films. He has served as Secretary and Chair of the Materials and Characterisation Group of the Institute of Physics.
Jonathan regularly undertakes material / failure analysis investigations for industry.
- A large number of local, national and international industrial clients.
Articles In Journals
- Fitzmaurice BC, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Painter JD, Wood DC & Hazael R (2020) The effects of quasi-one-dimensional shock on Escherichia coli while controlling pressure and temperature, Icarus, Available online 28 November 2020, Article No. 114221.
- Rao P, Painter J, Appleby-Thomas G, Critchley R, Wood D, Roberts & Hazael R (2020) Fragmentation studies by non-explosive cylinder expansion technique, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 146 (December) Article No. 103714.
- Ascough PL, Brock F, Collinson ME, Painter JD, Lane DW & Bird MI (2020) Chemical characteristics of macroscopic pyrogenic carbon following millennial-scale environmental exposure, Frontiers in Environmental Science, 7 (January) Article No. 203.
- Appleby-Thomas GJ, Jaansalu K, Hameed A, Painter J, Shackel J & Rowley J (2019) A comparison of the ballistic behaviour of conventionally sintered and additively manufactured alumina, Defence Technology, 16 (2) 275-282.
- Hazael R, Matsuda S, Mori Y, Fitzmaurice BC, Appleby-Thomas G, Painter JD, Meersman F, Richaud M, Galas S, Saini NL, Ono F & McMillan PF (2019) Pressure tolerance of Artemia cysts compressed in water medium, High Pressure Research, 39 (2) Article No. GHPR 1575378.
- Appleby-Thomas GJ, Fitzmaurice B, Hameed A, Painter J, Gibson M, Wood DC, Hazael R & Hazell PJ (2018) On differences in the equation-of-state for a selection of seven representative mammalian tissue analogue materials, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 77 (January) 586-593.
- Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC, Hameed A, Painter J & Fitzmaurice B (2017) On the effects of powder morphology on the post-comminution ballistic strength of ceramics, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 100 (February) 46-55.
- Painter JD, Fitzmaurice BC, Goff M, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC & Pinto T (2017) On a novel graded areal density solution to facilitate ramp wave generation in plate-impact studies, AIP Conference Proceedings, 1793 (1) Article No. 060017.
- Appleby-Thomas GJ, Fitzmaurice BC, Hameed A, Wood DC, Gibson MC & Painter J (2017) The shock response and suitability of Synbone (R) as a tissue simulant, AIP Conference Proceedings, 1793 (1) Article No. 140009.
- Fitzmaurice BC, Painter JD, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC, Hazael R & McMillan PF (2017) On the response of Escherichia coli to high rates of deformation, AIP Conference Proceedings, 1793 (1) Article No. 140002.
- Shackel J, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC, Painter J, Patel AK, Wielewski E, Hazell PJ & Terzulli LP (2017) On the influence of texture on spall evolution in the HCP materials Ti-6Al-4V and Zr, AIP Conference Proceedings, 1793 (1) Article No. 100010.
- Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC, Hameed A, Painter J, Le-Seelleur V & Fitzmaurice BC (2016) Investigation of the high-strain rate (shock and ballistic) response of the elastomeric tissue simulant Perma-Gel, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 94 (August) 74-82.
- Degryse P, Lobo L, Shortland A, Vanhaecke F, Blomme A, Painter J, Gimeno D, Eremin K, Greene J, Kirk S & Walton M (2015) Isotopic investigation into the raw materials of Late Bronze Age glass making, Journal of Archaeological Science, 62 (October) 153-160.
- Hazell PJ, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC & Painter JD (2014) The shock and spall response of AA 7010-T7651, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 500 (Part 11) Article No. 112032.
- Bolton-King RS, Bencsik M, Evans JPO, Smith CL, Allsop DF, Painter JD & Cranton WM (2012) Numerical classification of curvilinear structures for the identification of pistol barrels, Forensic Science International, 220 (1-3) 197-209.
- Colombara D, Peter LM, Rogers KD, Painter JD & Roncallo S (2011) Formation of CuSbS2 and CuSbSe2 thin films via chalcogenisation of Sb-Cu metal precursors, Thin Solid Films, 519 (21) 7438-7443.
- Roncallo S, Painter JD, Healy MJF, Ritchie SA, Finnis MV, Rogers KD, Scragg JJ, Dale PJ & Zoppi G (2011) Effects of different needles and substrates on CuInS2 deposited by electrostatic spray deposition, Thin Solid Films, 519 (11) 3544-3551.
- Hazell PJ, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Herlaar K & Painter J (2010) Inelastic deformation and failure of tungsten carbide under ballistic-loading conditions, Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, 527 (29-30) 7638-7645.
- Roncallo Scilla, Painter Jonathan, Ritchie Simon, Cousins Michael, Finnis Mark & Rogers Keith (2010) Evaluation of different deposition conditions on thin films deposited by electrostatic spray deposition using a uniformity test, Thin Solid Films, 518 (17) 4821-4827.
- Roncallo S, Painter JD, Cousins MA, Lane DW & Rogers KD (2008) A method to quantify the degree of uniformity of thickness of thin films, Thin Solid Films, 516 (23) 8493-8497.
- Healy MJF, Torres M & Painter JD (2006) A software tool enabling the analysis of small lateral features without the use of a microbeam, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms, 249 (1-2) 789-791.
- Painter JD, Fulford M, Sim D & Doig A (2005) In defence of Rome: a metallographic investigation of Roman ferrous armour from Northern Britain, Journal of Archaeological Science, 32 (2) 241-250.
- Lane DW, Painter JD, Rogers KD, Forbes I, Miles RW & Hynes KM (2005) Dendritic CuIn films grown by electroless deposition, MRS Online Proceedings Library, 836 155-160.
- Ketipearachchi US, Lane DW, Rogers KD, Painter JD & Cousins MA (2005) Bath pH dependence on the structural and optical properties of chemical bath deposited CdS thin films, MRS Online Proceedings Library, 836 161-166.
- Painter JD, Rogers KD, Lane DW & Chapman A (2004) Structural characterisation of sprayed TiO2 films for extremely thin absorber layer solar cells, Thin Solid Films, 466 (1) 97-102.
- Painter JD, Cousins MA, Lane DW, Conibeer GJ & Rogers KD (2003) Sulphur diffusion in cadmium telluride thin films (part 2): Modelling grain boundary diffusion, Thin Solid Films, 431 431-432 78.
- Lane DW, Cousins MA, Painter JD, Conibeer GJ & Rogers KD (2003) Sulfur diffusion in cadmium telluride thin films (part 1): The grain boundary diffusion coefficient, Thin Solid Films, 431-432 73-77.
- Painter JD, Rogers KD, Chapman AJ & Lane DW (2003) The structural features of Ti02 thin films formed by pyrosol methods, Journal of Materials Science, 14 (9) 573-577.
- Rogers KD, Lane DW, Chapman AJ & Painter JD (2003) The structural features of TiO2 thin films formed by pyrosol methods, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, 14 (9) 573-577.
- Rogers KD, Wood DA, Painter JD, Lane DW & Ozsan ME (2000) Novel depth profiling in CdS-CdTe thin films, Thin Solid Films, 361 234-238.
- Lane DW, Rogers KD, Painter JD, Wood DA & Ozsan ME (2000) Structural dynamics in CdS-CdTe thin films, Thin Solid Films, 361 1-8.
- Rogers KD, Painter JD, Lane DW & Healy M (1999) The Structural Changes in CdS-CdTe Thin Films Due to Annealing, Journal of Electronic Materials, 28 (2) 112-117.
- Rogers KD, Painter JD, Healy MJ, Lane DW & Ozsan ME (1999) The crystal structure of CdS-CdTe thin film heterojunction solar cells, Thin Solid Films, 339 (1-2) 299-304.
- Vachirawongsakorn V, Marquez-Grant N, Painter J, Beckett S & Greenwood C (2018) Taphonomic processes of chop marks in terrestrial and buried environments: A micro-CT and stereo-microscopic study [poster]. In: Taphos-Nomos 2018, School of Forensic and Applied Sciences, University of Central Lancashire, Preston, 2-4 November 2018.
- Appleby-Thomas G, Fitzmaurice B, Hameed A, Wood D, Gibson M & Painter J (2015) On the suitability of Synbone® as a tissue simulant.. In: 19th Biennial International Conference of the APS Topical Group on Shock Compression of Condensed Matter (SCCM-2015), Tampa, Florida, 14-19 June 2015.
- Painter JD, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Hazell PJ, Winter RE, Harris EJ , Owen GD & Wood DC (2012) On the importance of encapsulation environment for lateral gauges. In: 17th Biennial international Conference of the American Physical Society Topical Group on Shock Compression of Condensed Matter, Chicago, IL, 26 June - 1 July 2011.
- Wakeling B, Ketipearachchi US, Lane DW, Degamber B, Painter JD, Cousins MA & Rogers KD (2007) In-situ analysis of cadmium sulphide deposited by ultrasonic assisted chemical bath. In: PVSAT-3 Conference, Durham University, UK.
- Peach DF, Lane DW, Sellwood MJ & Painter JD (2006) An assessment of surface heating during ion beam analysis II: Application to biological materials. In: 17th international conference on ion beam analysis, Sevilla, 26 June - 1 July 2005.
- Painter JD, Morgan NB & Moffat A (2003) Mean Strain Effects and Microstructural Observations During In-vitro Fatigue Testing of NiTi. In: Shape Memory and Superelastic Technologies, California, 5 May 2003.
- Painter JD, Rogers KD & Lane DW (1998) An investigation into the effect of annealing on the microstructure of CdTe/CdS solar cells. In: Workshop on Growth and Processing of Materials for Electronics at Materials Congress 98.
- Healy MJF, Torres M & Painter JD Analysis of laterally inhomogeneous structures without microbeam or IEM. In: 17th international conference on ion beam analysis, Sevilla, 26 June 2005.