Contact Dr Jonathan Mark Hallam
Areas of expertise
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Sensor Technologies
- Expert in Advanced Optics
- PhD in Diffractive Optics for Interferometric Gravitational Wave Detection. Undertaken as part of the LIGO collaboration at the University of Birmingham under the supervision of Professor Andreas Freise. Congratulations to my colleagues on their September 2015 first-observation of Gravitational Waves!
- Post-Doctoral work at the Space Research Centre and Department of Engineering, University of Leicester:
- Broad Band Cavity Enhanced Absorption Spectrometry (for atmospheric trace gas detection, with a focus on NO2).
- Confocal Microscopy for high-speed bio-imaging applications using solar-exploration derived capacitive micro-channel plate detector.
- Diamond dynode film analysis using surface science techniques including Stimulated Electron Emission, Scanning Electron Microscopy and Raman Spectroscopy.
- Airline Alerts project monitoring and modelling high-frequency transpolar radio communication through the ionosphere, maintaining international radio-sounding array and using high-performance cluster computing system.
- Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) systems
- Micro-particle detection
- Micro-fluidic flow tracking
- 3D printing: www.thingiverse.com/hallam_jon
Clients, Collaborators and Funding Agencies:
- Finnish Meteorological Institute
- Natural Resources Canada
- Solarmetrics Ltd
- Atomic Weapons Establishment
- Photek Ltd
- Centre for Engineering Photonics
Articles In Journals
- Qin J, Vives J, Raja P, Lasisi S, Wang C, Charrett T, Ding J, Williams S, Hallam JM & Tatam R (2023) Automated interlayer wall height compensation for wire based directed energy deposition additive manufacturing, Sensors, 23 (20) Article No. 8498. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.24311296
- Francis D, Hallam JM & Tatam RP (2023) Low-coherence and broadband confocal refractometry: reducing the measurement time, Measurement Science and Technology, 34 (12) Article No. 125204. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.21975965
- Hallam JM, Kissinger T, Charrett TO & Tatam RP (2022) In-process range-resolved interferometric (RRI) 3D layer height measurements for wire+ arc additive manufacturing (WAAM), Measurement Science and Technology, 33 (4) Article No. 044002. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.16594772
- Hallam JM, Rigas E, Charrett TO & Tatam RP (2020) 2D spatially-resolved depth-section microfluidic flow velocimetry using dual beam OCT, Micromachines, 11 (4) Article No. 351. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.11522517
- Rigas E, Hallam JM, Charrett TOH, Ford HD & Tatam RP (2019) Metre-per-second microfluidic flow velocimetry with dual beam optical coherence tomography, Optics Express, 27 (17) 23849-23863. Dataset/s: https://doi.org/10.17862/cranfield.rd.7628933.v1
- Ford HD, Francis D, Hallam JM & Tatam RP (2019) Influence of aberrations on confocal-based remote refractive index measurements, Applied Optics, 58 (24) 6474-6485. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.7993745