Contact Dr John Ahmet Erkoyuncu
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754717
- Email: j.a.erkoyuncu@Cranfield.ac.uk
Areas of expertise
Dr. Erkoyuncu previously worked as a Lecturer in Service Simulation and Visualisation. His research focused on: 1) augmented reality applications in manufacturing and maintenance and 2) modelling maintenance requirements.
Prior to becoming a Lecturer, as Research Fellow, John was based at Rolls-Royce, Derby. In this role he developed a software tool to trade-off the design requirements (e.g. unit cost, emission, noise). Dr. Erkoyuncu was also involved in an EU funded infrastructure project on visualisation. His responsibility focused on implementing augmented reality.
John’s PhD focused on how to quantify the impact
of uncertainty when estimating the cost of maintenance. His PhD was conducted
in collaboration with BAE Systems, Rolls-Royce and MoD. The project focused on
the bidding stage of availability based contracts.
Dr. Erkoyuncu is the Director of the Through-life Engineering Services Centre. The Centre focuses on two main themes: 1) Degradation assessment, 2) Digital Service Engineering. John is a Senior Lecturer in Digital Service Engineering. John is active with Innovate UK and EPSRC funded projects around research topics: digital twins, augmented reality, digitisation (of degradation assessment), and simulation of complex manufacturing and maintenance procedures.
John is the Course Director for the MSc in Through-life System Sustainment. This is a part-time MSc for experienced industrial professionals. The MSc focuses on the design, delivery and end of life of complex and long-life assets.
Dr. Erkoyuncu is currently co-supervising ten PhD projects; eight of which are co-funded by industry. The projects are focused on enhancing predictability of complex maintenance, and improving efficiency of manufacturing and maintenance within the defence, aerospace, pharmaceutical, health and automotive sectors. John is the Chair of the CIRP Research Affiliates and a Member of IET.
- BABCOCK International
- BAE Systems
- Fisher BioServices
- Marshall Group
- Network Rail
Articles In Journals
- Farsi M, Erkoyuncu JA, Steenstra D & Roy R (2019) A modular hybrid simulation framework for complex manufacturing system design, Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, 94 (July) 14-30.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R, Shehab E, Durugbo C, Khan S & Datta P (2019) An effective uncertainty based framework for sustainable industrial product-service system transformation, Journal of Cleaner Production, 208 160-177. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.7182446
- Sceral M, Erkoyuncu J & Shehab E (2018) Identifying information asymmetry challenges in the defence sector, Procedia Manufacturing, 19 127-134.
- Fernández del Amo I, Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R & Wilding S (2018) Augmented reality in maintenance: an information-centred design framework, Procedia Manufacturing, 19 148-155.
- Palmarini R, Fernández del Amo I, Bertolino G, Dini G, Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R & Farnsworth M (2018) Designing an AR interface to improve trust in Human-Robots collaboration, Procedia CIRP, 70 350-355.
- Fernández del Amo I, Galeotti E, Palmarini R, Dini G, Erkoyuncu J & Roy R (2018) An innovative user-centred support tool for Augmented Reality maintenance systems design: a preliminary study, Procedia CIRP, 70 362-367.
- Tedeschi S, Rodrigues D, Emmanouilidis C, Erkoyuncu J, Roy R & Starr A (2018) A cost estimation approach for IoT modular architectures implementation in legacy systems, Procedia Manufacturing, 19 103-110.
- Rashid A, Masood T, Erkoyuncu JA, Tjahjono B, Khan N & Shami M (2018) Enterprise systems’ life cycle in pursuit of resilient smart factory for emerging aircraft industry: a synthesis of Critical Success Factors’(CSFs), theory, knowledge gaps, and implications, Enterprise Information Systems , 12 (2) 96-136.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Drake R, Watts C & Wilding S (2018) Additive manufacturing applications in Defence Support Services: current practices and framework for implementation, International Journal of System Assurance Engineering and Management, 9 (3) 657-674.
- Palmarini R, Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R & Torabmostaedi H (2018) A systematic review of augmented reality applications in maintenance, Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 49 (February) 215-228.
- Grenyer A, Addepalli S, Zhao Y, Oakey L, Erkoyuncu JA & Roy R (2018) Identifying challenges in quantifying uncertainty: case study in infrared thermography, Procedia CIRP, 73 108-113.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Drake R, Watts C, Martina F, Tapoglou N & Lockett H (2018) A system approach for modelling additive manufacturing in defence acquisition programs, Procedia CIRP, 67 209-214.
- Fernández del Amo I, Erkoyuncu J, Roy R, Palmarini R & Onoufriou D (2018) A systematic review of Augmented Reality content-related techniques for knowledge transfer in maintenance applications, Computers in Industry, 103 (December) 47-71.
- Shen J, Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R & Wu B (2018) A framework for cost evaluation in product service system configuration, International Journal of Production Research, 55 (20) 6120-6144.
- Khan S, Farnsworth M & Erkoyuncu J (2017) A novel approach for No Fault Found decision-making, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, 17 (May) 18-31.
- Palmarini R, Erkoyuncu JA & Roy R (2017) An Innovative Process to Select Augmented Reality (AR) Technology for Maintenance, Procedia CIRP, 59 23-28.
- Erkoyuncu J, Fernández del Amo I, Dalle Mura M, Roy R & Dini G (2017) Improving efficiency of industrial maintenance with context aware adaptive authoring in augmented reality, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 66 (1) 465-468.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Khan S, Eiroa AL, Butler N, Rushton K & Brocklebank S (2017) Perspectives on trading cost and availability for corrective maintenance at the equipment type level, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 168 (December) 53-69.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Martina F, Watts C & Drake R (2017) A review of additive manufacturing technology and cost estimation techniques for the defence sector, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, 19 (November) 117-128.
- Schwabe O, Shehab E & Erkoyuncu J (2016) Short interval control for the cost estimate baseline of novel high value manufacturing products - A complexity based approach, Procedia CIRP, 55 29-34.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Drake R, Watts C & Martina F (2016) Defining next-generation additive manufacturing applications for the Ministry of Defence (MoD), Procedia CIRP, 55 302-307.
- Schwabe O, Shehab E & Erkoyuncu J (2016) An approach for selecting cost estimation techniques for innovative high value manufacturing products, Procedia CIRP, 55 41-46.
- Schwabe O, Shehab E & Erkoyuncu J (2016) Short interval control for the cost estimate baseline of novel high value manufacturing products – a complexity based approach, Procedia CIRP, 55 29-34.
- Erkoyuncu JH, Khan S, Hussain SMF & Roy R (2016) A framework to estimate the cost of No-Fault Found events,, International Journal of Production Economics, 173 (March) 207-222. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.5472904.v1
- Schwabe O, Shehab E & Erkoyuncu J (2016) A framework for geometric quantification and forecasting of cost uncertainty for aerospace innovations, Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 84 (July) 29-47.
- Sachidananda M, Erkoyuncu J, Steenstra D & Michalska S (2016) Discrete event simulation modelling for dynamic decision making in biopharmaceutical manufacturing, Procedia CIRP, 49 39-44.
- Erkoyuncu J, Busachi A, Colegrove P, Martina F & Ding J (2015) Designing a WAAM based manufacturing system for defense applications, Procedia CIRP, 37 48-53.
- Sabaei D, Erkoyuncu J, Roy R & Roy R (2015) A review of multi-criteria decision making methods for enhanced maintenance delivery, Procedia CIRP, 37 30-35.
- Rodrigues D, Erkoyuncu J, Starr A, Wilding S, Dibble A, Laity M, Owen R, (2015) A conceptual framework to assess the impact of training on equipment cost and availability in the military context, Procedia CIRP, 38 112-117.
- Rajagopal S, Erkoyuncu J A & Roy R (2014) Software obsolescence in defence, Procedia CIRP, 22 76-80.
- Masood T, Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R & Harrison A (2014) Integrating design attributes, knowledge and uncertainty in aerospace sector, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, 7 (2) 83-96.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R, Shebab E & Kutsch E (2014) An Innovative Uncertainty Management Framework to Support Contracting for Product-Service Availability, Journal of Service Management, 25 (5) 603-638.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Stanley O & Rajkumar R (2014) Mitigating the risk of software obsolescence in the oil and gas sector, Procedia CIRP, 22 81-86.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Durugbo C, Shehab E, Roy R, Parker R, Gath A & Howell D (2013) Uncertainty driven service cost estimation for decision support at the bidding stage, International Journal of Production Research, 51 (19) 5771-5788.
- Roy R, Shaw A, Erkoyuncu J, Redding L & Roy R (2013) Through-life Engineering Services, Measurement and Control, 46 (6) 172-175.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Durugbo C & Roy R (2013) Identifying uncertainties for industrial service delivery: a systems approach, International Journal of Production Research, 51 (21) 6295-6315.
- Xu Y, Elgh F, Erkoyuncu J, Bankole O, Goh Y, Cheung W, Baguley P, Wang Q, Arundachawat P, Shehab E, Newnes L & Roy R (2012) Cost Engineering for manufacturing: Current and future research, International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 25 (4-5) 300-314.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R, Shehab E & Cheruvu K (2011) Understanding service uncertainties in industrial product-service system cost estimation, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 52 (9-12) 1223-1238.
- Durugbo C, Erkoyuncu JA, Tiwari A, Alcock JR, Roy R & Shehab E (2010) Data uncertainty assessment and information flow analysis for product-service systems in a library case study, International Journal of Services Operations and Informatics, 5 (4) 330-350.
- Rodrigues D, Erkoyuncu J, Starr A, Wilding S, Dibble A & Laity M (2015) Review of the modelling approaches for availability contracts in the military context. In: 7th Industrial Product-Service Systems Conference - PSS, industry transformation for sustainability and business, Ecole des Mines Saint-Etienne, France, 21-22 May 2015.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Martina F & Ding J (2015) Designing a WAAM based manufacturing system for defence applications. In: 4th CIRP global Web conference (CIRPe 2015): understanding the life cycle implications of manufacturing, Online, 29 September - 1 October 2015.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Salbrechter F, Steenstra D & Roy R (2013) Building a software platform to guide doctors and nurses with ultrasound scanning. In: IEEE 4th International Conference on Cognitive Infocommunications (CogInfoCom), 2013, Budapest, 2-5 December 2013.
- Durugbo C, Bankole OO, Erkoyuncu JA, Tiwari A, Alcock JR, Roy R & Shehab E (2010) Product-Service Systems across Industry Sectors: Future Research Needs and Challenges. In: 2nd CIRP Industrial Product Service Systems (IPS2) Conference, Linköping, 14 April 2010.
- Roy R, Datta P, Romero Rojo FJ & Erkoyuncu J (2009) Cost of industrial product-service systems (IPS2). In: 16th CIRP international conference on life cycle engineering (LCE 2009), Cairo, 4-6 May 2009.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R, Datta P, Wardle P & Murphy F Service Uncertainty and Cost for Product Service Systems (PSS). In: Complex Engineering Service Systems. Ng I, Parry G, Wild PJ, McFarlane D, Tasker P (ed.), London: Springer, p. 129-149, ed. 1.