Contact Dr Joao Amaral Teixeira
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754679
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Gas Turbines & Propulsion
- Power Systems & Turbines
- Renewable Energy
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Cranfield University, 2001.
- BEng Mechanical engineering (1st class honours) Warwick University, 1997
- Lecturer, Cranfield University (2003 to date)
- Research Officer, Cranfield University (2000 to 2003)
Current activitiesJoao's research is centred primarily on the design and numerical characterisation of turbomachinery components including gas turbine compressors, industrial fans, centrifugal pumps and wet renewable turbines.
In both the areas of turbines for Oscillating Water Column applications and for tidal power extraction, this work has been carried out in collaboration with industrial partners for whom the Turbomachinery and Icing Group has carried out extensive design projects. Joao has supervised a number of MSc and Doctoral students whose work has made significant contributions towards the design of OWC turbines leading to the development of novel, patented, configurations. Other work in this area involved the computation, employing free-surface transient simulations, of the interaction of the sea with OWC buoys.
Joao has been involved with the TEL tidal turbine programme which has extended over several years covering early conceptual design and leading to a patented turbine design. Ongoing work in this area is looking at advancing the modelling and performance of the current and future developments of the DeltaStream concept.
He is the Course Director of the Design of Rotating Machines MSc course which focuses on the mechanical aspects of the design and health monitoring of a range of rotating machines, from electrical generators to various turbomachines. Other teaching activities include leading the ‘Introduction to CFD for Gas Turbines' module on the popular Thermal Power MSc course. He has supervised a number of Doctoral candidates in a wide variety of areas including:
- Purge Systems for Radiation Pyrometers
- Modelling of Bi-directional Dry Gas Face Seals
- Modelling of Transition in Axial Compressors
- Effects of Wear on Honeycomb Labyrinth Seals
- ptimisation of Bidirectional Impulse Turbines for Wave Power Generation
- CFD Analyses of Pressure Pulsations in Centrifugal Pumps
- Investigation of the Closed Valve Head of Centrifugal Pumps.
Articles In Journals
- Ali N, Amaral Teixeira J, Addali A, Saeed M, Al-Zubi F, Sedaghat A & Bahzad H (2019) Deposition of stainless steel thin films: an electron beam physical vapour deposition approach, Materials, 12 (4) Article No. 571.
- Alhashan T, Addali A, Teixeira JA & Naid A (2018) Experimental investigation of the influences of different liquid types on acoustic emission energy levels during the bubble formation process, International Journal of Energy and Environmental Engineering, 9 (1) 13-20.
- Shanbr S, Elasha F, Elforjani N & Teixeira J (2018) Detection of natural crack in wind turbine gearbox, Renewable Energy, 118 (April) 172-179.
- Alhashan T, Addali A, Teixeira JA & Elhashan S (2018) Identifying bubble occurrence during pool boiling employing acoustic emission technique, Applied Acoustics, 132 (March) 191-201.
- Alhashan T, Addali A & Teixeira JA (2018) Investigation of the influence of flow rate on bubble formation and collapse in ball valves at various opening percentages using an AE technique, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 60 (6) 326-334.
- Ali N, Teixeira JA & Addali A (2018) A review on nanofluids: fabrication, stability, and thermophysical properties, Journal of Nanomaterials, 2018 Article No. 6978130.
- Ali N, Teixeira JA, Addali A, Al-Zubi F, Shaban E & Behbehani I (2018) The effect of aluminium nanocoating and water pH value on the wettability behavior of an aluminium surface, Applied Surface Science, 443 (June) 24-30.
- Tibos SM, Georgakis C, Harvey K & Teixeira JA (2017) Detailed study on stiffness and load characteristics of film-riding groove types using design of experiments, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 139 (9) Article No. GTP-16-1192.
- Tibos SM, Teixeira JA & Georgakis C (2017) Investigation of effective groove types for a film riding seal, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 139 (7) Article No. 72503; GTP-16-1494.
- Elasha F, Mba D, Togneri M, Master I & Teixeira JA (2017) A hybrid prognostic methodology for tidal turbine gearboxes, Renewable Energy, 114 (B) 1051-1061.
- Tibos S, Georgakis C, Teixeira JA & Hogg S (2017) Investigation of hydrostatic fluid forces in varying clearance turbomachinery seals, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 140 (5) Article No. 052502.
- Alhashan T, Elforjani M, Addali A & Teixeira J (2016) Monitoring of bubble formation during the boiling process using acoustic emission signals, International Journal of Engineering Research & Science, 2 (4) 66-72.
- Alhashan T, Addali A & Teixeira J (2016) Exploration of the possibility of acoustic emission technique in detection and diagnosis of bubble formation and collapse in valves, IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, 13 (6, Version II) 32-40.
- Elasha F, Mba D & Amaral Teixeira J (2014) Condition Monitoring Philosophy for Tidal Turbines, International Journal of Performability Engineering, 10 (5) 521-534.
- Ojile JO, Teixeira JA & Carmody C (2010) Mechanical seal failure analysis, Tribology Transactions, 53 (4) 630-635.
- Fouflias D, Gannan A, Ramsden K, Pilidis P, Mba D, Teixeira J, Igie U & Lambart P (2010) Experimental investigation of the influence of fouling on compressor cascade characteristics and implications for gas turbine engine performance, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, 224 (7) 1007-1018.
- Spence R & Amaral-Teixeira J (2009) A CFD parametric study of geometrical variations on the pressure pulsations and performance characteristics of a centrifugal pump., Computers and Fluids, 38 (6) 1243-1257.
- Beevers A, Teixeira J & Wells R (2009) Overview of Wake Induced Transition Modelling for Axial Compressors, ERCOFTAC Bulletin, 80 58-60.
- Khaleghi H, Boroomand M, Teixeira JA & Tousi AM (2008) A numerical study of the effects of injection velocity on stability improvement in high-speed compressors, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, 222 (2) 189-198.
- Khaleghi H, Boroomand M, Tousi AM & Teixeira JA (2008) Stall inception in a transonic axial fan, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, 222 (2) 199-208.
- Khaleghi H, Teixeira JA, Tousi AM & Boroomand M (2008) Parametric study of injection angle effects on stability of transonic axial compressors, Journal of Propulsion and Power, 24 (5) 1100-1107.
- Spence R & Amaral-Teixeira JA (2008) Investigation into pressure pulsations in a centrifugal pump using numerical methods supported by industrial tests, Computers and Fluids, 37 (6) 690-704.
- Collins D, Teixeira JA & Crudgington P (2008) The degradation of abradable honeycomb labyrinth seal performance due to wear, Sealing Technology, 2008 (8) 7-10.
- Gamil AAA, Teixeira JT, Alhajeri HM & Elasha F (2017) Demonstration of leakage flow distribution of an axial fan inside the tip clearance gap. In: 55th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Grapevine, Texas, 9-13 January 2017.
- Alhajeri HM, Amaral Teixeira J, Addali A, Gamil AAA & Alenezi AH (2016) Mist cooling ratios analysis in rectangular passage with 45deg angled rib. In: 54th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, 2016, San Diego, 4-8 January 2016.
- Farman JR, Teixeira JA, Whidborne JF, Mba D & Natanzi S (2013) Development of polychormatic irregular waves for testing OWC bidirectional turbines at a land-based test facility. In: 10th European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference, 2013, Aalborg, 2-5 September 2013.
- Khaleghi H & Teixeira JA (2010) Numerical study of discrete tip injection in a transonic axial compressor. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2010**: Power for Land, Sea, and Air (GT2010), Glasgow, Scotland, 14-18 June 2010.
- Freeman C, Amaral Teixeira J, Trarieux F & Ayre R (2009) Design of a Gravity Stabilised Fixed Pitch Tidal Turbine of 400kW. In: 8th European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference, Uppsala, 7 September 2009.
- Dyson G & Teixeira J (2009) Investigation of closed valve operation using computational fluid dynamics. In: ASME 2009 Fluids Engineering Division Summer Conference (FEDSM2009), Vail, Colorado, 2-6 August 2009.
- Nikolaidis T, Pilidis P, Teixeira JA & Pachidis V (2008) Water film formation on an axial flow compressor rotor blade. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2008: Power for Land, Sea, and Air (GT2008), Berlin, 9-13 June 2008.
- Collins D, Teixeira J & Crudgington P (2008) Insight into the performance degradation of abradable honeycomb labyrinth seals due to wear. In: 10th European Fluid Machinery Congress, Amsterdam, 21 April 2008.
- Beevers AD, Amaral Teixeira J & Wells R (2008) Modelling unsteady transition effects in an axial compressor. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2008: Power for Land, Sea, and Air (GT2008), Berlin, 9 June 2008.