Contact Dr Joan Pau Sanchez Cuartielles
Areas of expertise
- Space Systems
BackgroundDr Joan-Pau Sánchez studied physics at the Universitat de Barcelona, and an MSc in Mission Analysis and Design at the University of Glasgow. He was awarded his PhD also from University of Glasgow in 2009 after completing a comprehensive analysis of different deflection alternatives against Earth-threatening asteroids and comets. He then briefly worked as space mission analysis at GMV Aerospace and Defence, before returning to academia. He joined the University of Strathclyde as postdoctoral research fellow, leading the Visionary Space Systems theme within the ERC project VISIONSPACE. In 2012, he was granted an individual Marie Curie Intra European Fellowship to pursue his research on asteroid retrieval missions (ASTEROIDRETRETRIEVAL) at the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya. He joined Cranfield University on February 2015.
Current activitiesChallenges to space mission design are today as abundant as ever; spacecraft reach new unexplored regions of the Solar System, and promise to reach even further with the technologies that move up the TRL ladder; new insights into orbital dynamics are revealing new rich families of exploitable orbits, which may enable radically new mission applications and services; etc. All these advances, both technological and theoretical, entail new sets of problems to be dealt with by the fields of Astrodynamics, Space System Engineering, Planetary Science and Space Environment.
ClientsPublic funding institutions such as ESA, EC, UKSA, EPSRC, STFC.
Articles In Journals
- Neves R & Sanchez JP (2019) Multifidelity design of low-thrust resonant captures for near-Earth asteroids, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 42 (2) 335-346.
- Çelik O, Sánchez JP, Karatekin Ö & Ritter B (2019) A comparative reliability analysis of ballistic deployments on binary asteroids, Acta Astronautica, 156 (March) 308-316.
- Machuca P, Sanchez JP & Greenland S (2018) Asteroid flyby opportunities using semi-autonomous CubeSats: mission design and science opportunities, Planetary and Space Science, 165 (January) 179-193.
- Sanchez JP, Neves R & Urrutxua H (2018) Trajectory design for asteroid retrieval missions: a short review, Frontiers in Applied Mathematics and Statistics, 4 (October) Article No. 44.
- Bowles NE, Snodgrass C, Gibbings A, Sanchez JP, Arnold JA, Eccleston P, Andert T, Probst A, Naletto G, Vandaele AC & de Leon J et al (2017) CASTAway: An asteroid main belt tour and survey, Advances in Space Research, 62 (8) 1998-2025.
- Ҫelik O & Sánchez JP (2017) Opportunities for ballistic soft landing in binary asteroids, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 40 (6) 1402-1390.
- Snodgrass C, Jones GH, Boehnhardt H, Gibbings A, Homeister M, Andre N, Beck P, Bentley MS, Bertini I, Bowles N, Capria MT, Carr C, Ceriotti M, Coates AJ, Della Corte V, Donaldson Hanna KL, Fitzsimmons A, Gutierrez PJ, Hainaut OR, Herique A, Hilchenbach M, Hsieh HH, Jehin E, Karatekin O, Kofman W, Lara LM, Laudan K, Licandro J, Lowry SC, Marzari F, Masters A, Meech KJ, Moreno F, Morse A, Orosei R, Pack A, Plettemeier D, Prialnik D, Rotundi A, Rubin M, Sanchez JP, Sheridan S, Trieloff M & Winterboer A (2017) The Castalia mission to Main Belt Coment 133P/Elst-Pizarro, Advances in Space Research, 62 (8) 1947-1976.
- Alessi EM & Sanchez JP (2016) Semi-Analytical Approach for Distant Encounters in the Spatial Circular Restricted Three-Body Problem, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 39 (2) 351-359.
- Sanchez JP & Yárnoz DG (2016) Asteroid retrieval missions enabled by invariant manifold dynamics, Acta Astronautica, 127 (October-November) 667-677.
- Sanchez JP & McInnes CR (2015) Optimal Sunshade Configurations for Space-Based Geoengineering near the Sun-Earth L1 Point, PLoS ONE, 10 (8) Article No. e0136648.
- Sanchez JP (2015) Asteroid Target Selection and Orbital Manipulation Sensitivity for Deflection Demonstration Missions, Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, 62 (2).
- Yarnoz DG, Sanchez Cuartielles J-P & McInnes CR (2015) Alternating Orbiter Strategy for Asteroid Exploration, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 38 (2) 280-291.
- Sugimoto Y, Radice G, Ceriotti M & Sanchez JP (2014) Hazardous near Earth asteroid mitigation campaign planning based on uncertain information on fundamental asteroid characteristics, Acta Astronautica, 103 333-357.
- Garcia Yarnoz D, Sanchez Cuartielles JP & McInnes CR (2014) Passive Sorting of Asteroid Material Using Solar Radiation Pressure, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 37 (4) 1223-1235.
- Mingotti G, Sanchez JP & McInnes CR (2014) Combined low-thrust propulsion and invariant manifold trajectories to capture NEOs in the Sun-Earth circular restricted three-body problem, Celestial Mechanics and Dynamical Astronomy, 120 (3) 309-336.
- Garcia Yarnoz D, Sanchez JP & McInnes CR (2013) Easily retrievable objects among the NEO population, Celestial Mechanics and Dynamical Astronomy, 116 (4) 367-388.
- Machuca P & Sanchez JP (2019) Autonomous navigation and guidance for CubeSats to flyby near-Earth asteroids. In: 70th International Astronautical Congress (IAC), Washington DC, 21-25 October 2019.
- Hobbs S, Sanchez JP, Convenevole C, Gibbings A, Germani C & Monti Guarnieri A (2018) G-CLASS: a geosynchronous radar mission to study the diurnal water cycle. In: 69th International Astronautical Congress (IAC-18), 2018, Bremen, 1-5 October 2018.
- Neves R & Sanchez JP (2018) Gauss’ variational equations for low-thrust optimal control problems in low-energy regimes. In: 69th International Astronautical Congress (IAC-18), 2018, Bremen, 1-5 October 2018.
- Neves R & Sanchez JP (2018) Optimization of asteroid capture missions using Earth resonant encounters. In: Stardust Final Conference on Asteroids and Space Debris, Noordwijk, 31 October - 3 November 2016.
- Neves R, Sanchez JP, Colombo C & Alessi EM (2018) Analytical and semi-analytical approaches to the third-body perturbation in nearly co-orbital regimes. In: 69th International Astronautical Congress, 2018 (IAC ’18), Bremen, 1-5 October 2018.
- Machuca P, Sánchez JP, Masdemont JJ & Gómez G (2018) Low-energy trajectory design and autonomous navigation to flyby near-Earth asteroids using CubeSats. In: 69th International Astronautical Congress (IAC-18), 2018, Bremen, 1-5 October 2018.
- Sanchez Lara C & Sanchez Cuartielles JP (2018) Near rectilinear orbits around the moon as operational orbit for the future deep space gateway. In: 7th International Conference on Astrodynamics Tools and Techniques (ICATT): To the Moon and Beyond New ways of Astrodynamics, Oberpfaffenhofen, 6-9 November 2018.
- Durrani D, Gautier F, Kersey G, Le Blay C, Ogborne S, Sitepu E, Sanchez JP, Zanotti L & Kingston J (2018) Towards drop your thesis 2018: 4.7 seconds of microgravity conditions to enable future CubeSat landings on asteroids. In: 69th International Astronautical Congress, 2018 (IAC ’18), Bremen, 1-5 October 2018.
- Cano J, Cunill J, Diaz AJ, Golemis A, Gupta S, Innes D, Maiden D, March K, Rael H, Shawe J, Sierra V, Torrents A, Zorzoli Rossi E, Machuca P, Neves R & Sanchez Cuartielles JP (2018) ARTEMIS: A complete mission architecture to bridge the gap between humanity and near-Earth asteroids. In: 69th International Astronautical Congress, 2018 (IAC ’18), Bremen, 1-5 October 2018.
- Neves R & Sanchez JP (2017) Asteroid capture missions for unattainable targets using Earth-resonant encounters. In: IAC 17: 68th International Astronautical Congress 2017, Adelaide, 25 September 2018 - 29 September 2017.
- Celik O, Sanchez JP, Karatekin O & Ritter B (2017) Analysis of natural landing trajectories for passive landers in binary asteroids: A case study for (65803) 1996GT Didymos. In: 5th IAA Planetary Defense Conference – PDC 2017, Tokyo, 15 May 2017.
- Sanchez JP & Celik O (2017) Landing in binary asteroids: A global map of feasible descend opportunities for unpowered spacecraft. In: 68th International Astronautical Congress, Adelaide, 25 September 2017.
- Celik O, Karatekin O, Ritter B & Sánchez JP (2017) Reliability Analysis of Ballistic Landing in Binary Asteroid 65803 (1996 GT) Didymos under Uncertainty and GNC Error Considerations. In: 26th International Symposium on Spaceflight Dynamics (ISSFD), Matsuyama, 3-9 June 2017.
- Sánchez JP, Gibbings A, Snodgrass C, Green S & Bowles N (2016) Asteroid belt multiple flyby options for M-Class Missions. In: 67th International Astronautical Congress (IAC-16), 2016, Guadalajara, 26-30 September 2016.
- Sanchez JP, Colombo C & Alessi EM (2015) Semi-analytical perturbative approaches to third body resonant trajectories. In: 66th International Astronautical Congress, Jerusalem, 12 October 2015.