Contact Dr Joan Pau Sanchez Cuartielles
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754659
- Email: email@example.com
Areas of expertise
BackgroundDr Joan-Pau Sánchez studied physics at the Universitat de Barcelona, and an MSc in Mission Analysis and Design at the University of Glasgow. He was awarded his PhD also from University of Glasgow in 2009 after completing a comprehensive analysis of different deflection alternatives against Earth-threatening asteroids and comets. He then briefly worked as space mission analysis at GMV Aerospace and Defence, before returning to academia. He joined the University of Strathclyde as postdoctoral research fellow, leading the Visionary Space Systems theme within the ERC project VISIONSPACE. In 2012, he was granted an individual Marie Curie Intra European Fellowship to pursue his research on asteroid retrieval missions (ASTEROIDRETRETRIEVAL) at the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya. He joined Cranfield University on February 2015.
Current activitiesChallenges to space mission design are today as abundant as ever; spacecraft reach new unexplored regions of the Solar System, and promise to reach even further with the technologies that move up the TRL ladder; new insights into orbital dynamics are revealing new rich families of exploitable orbits, which may enable radically new mission applications and services; etc. All these advances, both technological and theoretical, entail new sets of problems to be dealt with by the fields of Astrodynamics, Space System Engineering, Planetary Science and Space Environment.
My research activities particularly focus on small body missions; from current exploration issues, such as how and where to land in asteroids and comets, to longer term problems such as how to deflect Earth threatening asteroid or to exploit asteroids and comets for in-situ resource utilization.
ClientsPublic funding institutions such as ESA, EC, UKSA, EPSRC, STFC.
Articles In Journals
- Çelik O, Sánchez JP, Karatekin Ö & Ritter B (2018) A comparative reliability analysis of ballistic deployments on binary asteroids, Acta Astronautica, Early online.
- Ҫelik O & Sánchez JP (2017) Opportunities for ballistic soft landing in binary asteroids, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 40 (6) 1402-1390.
- Sanchez JP & Yárnoz DG (2016) Asteroid retrieval missions enabled by invariant manifold dynamics, Acta Astronautica, 127 (October-November) 667-677.
- Yarnoz DG, Sanchez Cuartielles J-P & McInnes CR (2015) Alternating Orbiter Strategy for Asteroid Exploration, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 38 (2) 280-291.
- Alessi EM & Sanchez JP (2015) Semi-Analytical Approach for Distant Encounters in the Spatial Circular Restricted Three-Body Problem, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 39 (2).
- Sanchez JP & McInnes CR (2015) Optimal Sunshade Configurations for Space-Based Geoengineering near the Sun-Earth L1 Point, PLoS ONE, 10 (8).
- Sanchez JP (2015) Asteroid Target Selection and Orbital Manipulation Sensitivity for Deflection Demonstration Missions, Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, 62 (2).
- Garcia Yarnoz D, Sanchez Cuartielles JP & McInnes CR (2014) Passive Sorting of Asteroid Material Using Solar Radiation Pressure, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 37 (4) 1223-1235.
- Sugimoto Y, Radice G, Ceriotti M & Sanchez JP (2014) Hazardous near Earth asteroid mitigation campaign planning based on uncertain information on fundamental asteroid characteristics, Acta Astronautica, 103 333-357.
- Mingotti G, Sanchez JP & McInnes CR (2014) Combined low-thrust propulsion and invariant manifold trajectories to capture NEOs in the Sun-Earth circular restricted three-body problem, Celestial Mechanics and Dynamical Astronomy, 120 (3) 309-336.
- Garcia Yarnoz D, Sanchez JP & McInnes CR (2013) Easily retrievable objects among the NEO population, Celestial Mechanics and Dynamical Astronomy, 116 (4) 367-388.
- Celik O, Karatekin O, Ritter B & Sánchez JP (2017) Reliability Analysis of Ballistic Landing in Binary Asteroid 65803 (1996 GT) Didymos under Uncertainty and GNC Error Considerations. In: 26th International Symposium on Spaceflight Dynamics (ISSFD), Matsuyama, 3-9 June 2017.
- Sanchez JP & Celik O (2017) Landing in binary asteroids: A global map of feasible descend opportunities for unpowered spacecraft. In: 68th International Astronautical Congress, Adelaide, 25 September 2017.
- Celik O, Sanchez JP, Karatekin O & Ritter B (2017) Analysis of natural landing trajectories for passive landers in binary asteroids: A case study for (65803) 1996GT Didymos. In: 5th IAA Planetary Defense Conference – PDC 2017, Tokyo, 15 May 2017.
- Sánchez JP, Gibbings A, Snodgrass C, Green S & Bowles N (2016) Asteroid belt multiple flyby options for M-Class Missions. In: 67th International Astronautical Congress, IAC-2016, Guadalajara, 26 September 2016.
- Sanchez JP, Colombo C & Alessi EM (2015) Semi-analytical perturbative approaches to third body resonant trajectories. In: 66th International Astronautical Congress, Jerusalem, 12 October 2015.