Dr MacAdam obtained her first degree in Biochemistry, specialising in Biochemical Engineering from the University of Chemistry and Technology in Prague. In 2000 she took up a position as a Research Assistant at Cranfield University studying calcium carbonate chemistry with emphasis on scale formation in domestic appliances. She went on to do her PhD here on the same subject with particular interest in the inhibitory effects of trace metals such as zinc and copper on calcium carbonate formation. Jitka graduated in 2005 and following a maternity break stayed on at Cranfield University as a Research Fellow working on a number of projects including the application of advanced oxidation for both potable and wastewater treatment and broadening her expertise in calcium carbonate chemistry and inhibition.
RESEARCH - Research involvement primarily via supervision of taught and research students. Current projects include study of novel adsorption media for removal of metals and looking at how innovations in tertiary level education and CPD can alleviate the potential negative impact of EU migration restrictions on engineering skills in the UK.
TEACHING -Programme Director for Water, Module leader, and MSc thesis project coordinator for water & Wastewater Engineering MSc. Apart for that, developing and delivering a range of sessions on a number of modules for the Water & Wastewater Engineering MSc. She is Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and completed the Postgraduate Diploma in Academic Practice in 2017.
HEALTH & SAFETY COORDINATOR (since 2012) - Supporting Theme director in the delivery of their H&S responsibilities, managing local corrective actions register, advising both staff and students in H&S related matters, conducting internal audits, acting as a competent person during internal SHEL inspections, liaising with other H&S professionals across the University, attending H&S committees and the University's SHE Performance Group, assisting with risk assessment training and many other duties.
In 2017 Jitka completed NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety.
- Royal Academy of Engineering
- Prince Minerals Limited
- Doosan Enpure
- Scottish Water
- Kohler Mira
- Sentinel Performance Solutions
- Reckitt Benckiser
Articles In Journals
- Wood M, Simmonds L, MacAdam J, Hassard F, Jarvis P & Chalmers RM (2019) Role of filtration in managing the risk from Cryptosporidium in commercial swimming pools – a review, Journal of Water and Health, 17 (3) 357-370.
- Jarvis P, Quy K, Macadam J, Edwards M & Smith M (2018) Intake of lead (Pb) from tap water of homes with leaded and low lead plumbing systems, Science of the Total Environment, 644 (December) 1346-1356.
- Martin BD, De Kock L, Gallot M, Guery E, Stanowski S, MacAdam J, McAdam EJ, Parsons SA & Jefferson B (2018) Quantifying the performance of a hybrid anion exchanger/adsorbent for phosphorus removal using mass spectrometry coupled with batch kinetic trials, Environmental Technology, 39 (18) 2304-2314.
- Hartshorn AJ, Prpich G, Upton A, Macadam J, Jefferson B & Jarvis P (2015) Assessing filter robustness at drinking water treatment plants, Water and Environment Journal, 29 (1) 16-26.
- Ibrahim MAS, MacAdam J, Autin O & Jefferson B (2014) Evaluating the impact of LED bulb development on the economic viability of ultraviolet technology for disinfection, Environmental Technology, 35 (4) 400-406.
- Autin O, Romelot C, Rust L, Hart J, Jarvis P, MacAdam J, Parsons SA & Jefferson B (2013) Evaluation of a UV-light emitting diodes unit for the removal of micropollutants in water for low energy advanced oxidation processes., Chemosphere, 92 (6) 745-751.
- Autin O, Hart J, Jarvis P, MacAdam J, Parsons SA & Jefferson B (2013) The impact of background organic matter and alkalinity on the degradation of the pesticide metaldehyde by two advanced oxidation processes: UV/H2O2 and UV/TiO2, Water Research, 47 (6) 2041-2049.
- Autin O, Hart J, Jarvis P, MacAdam J, Parsons SA & Jefferson B (2013) Comparison of UV/TiO2 and UV/H2O2 processes in an annular photobioreactor for removal of micropollutants:influence of water parameters on metaldehyde removal, quantum yield and energy consumption, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 138-139 268-275.
- Autin O, Romelot C, Rust L, Hart J, Jarvis P, MacAdam J, Parsons SA & Jefferson B (2013) Evaluation of a UV-light emitting diodes unit for the removal of micropollutants in water for low energy advanced oxidation processes, Chemosphere, 92 (6) 745-751.
- MacAdam J, Ozgencil H, Autin O, Pidou M, Temple C, Parsons S & Jefferson B (2012) Incorporating biodegradation and advanced oxidation processes in the treatment of spent metalworking fluids, Environmental Technology, 33 (24) 2741-2750.
- Autin A, Hart J, MacAdam J, Parsons SA & Jefferson B (2012) Comparison of UV/H2O2and UV/TiO2for the degradation of metaldehyde: Kinetics and the impact of background organics, Water Research, 46 (17) 5655-5662.
- Philippe KK, Hans C, MacAdam J, Jefferson B, Hart J & Parsons SA (2010) Photocatalytic oxidation of natural organic matter surrogates and the impact on trihalomethane formation potential, Chemosphere, 81 (11) 1509-1516.
- Philippe KK, Hans C, MacAdam J, Jefferson B, Hart J & Parsons SA (2010) Photocatalytic oxidation, GAC and biotreatment combinations: An alternative to the coagulation of hydrophilic rich waters?, Environmental Technology, 31 (13) 1423-1434.
- MacAdam J & Parsons SA (2009) An investigation into advanced oxidation of three chlorophenoxy pesticides in surface water, Water Science and Technology, 59 (8) 1665-1671.
- Bargir S, Dunn S, Jefferson B, Macadam J & Parsons S (2009) The use of contact angle measurements to estimate the adhesion propensity of calcium carbonate to solid substrates in water, Applied Surface Science, 255 (9) 4973-4879.
- Parsons SA (2005) Calcium carbonate scale formation and control., Reviews in Environmental Science and Biotechnology, 3 159-169.
- Parsons SA & Macadam J (2005) Calcium carbonate scale control, effect of material and inhibitors, Water Science and Technology, 49 (2) 153-159.
- MacAdam Sproat J & Jarvis P (2015) Water-formed scales and deposits - types, characteristics and relevant industries. In: Mineral Scales and Deposits: Scientific and Technological Approaches, Elsevier, US, p. 3-23.
- MacAdam J & Parsons SA (2009) The effect of metal ions on calcium carbonate precipitation and scale formation. In: Sustainability in energy and buildings : Proceedings of the International Conference in Sustainability in Energy and Buildings (SEB'09). Howlett RJ, Jain LC, Lee SH (ed.), Berlin: Springer-Verlag, p. 137-146.