Contact Dr Jeroen Meersmans
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754768
- Email: Jeroen.Meersmans@cranfield.ac.uk
Areas of expertise
- Applied Informatics
- Carbon, Climate and Risk
- Monitoring and Environmental Informatics
- Natural capital
- Soil Resources
- Sustainable Land Systems
After obtaining a master degree in Physical Geography at the University of Brussels in 2004, Jeroen became a teaching assistant and completed a PhD research project at the University of Louvain (2005-2009) studying the spatial and temporal evolution of soil organic carbon (SOC) at the regional scale (Belgium). Here the focus lay on the interplay of soil type, land use, climate and agro-management and there combined effect on SOC. In 2010 he started a 2 year post doc position at the French National institute for Agricultural Research (INRA) at Orléans, studying the factors influencing SOC over a wider range of environments (e.g. vastly differing climates) Moreover, special attention was paid to the C input component and the relation with agro-management, yield and climate.
Jeroen started working as a postdoc researcher at
the University of Exeter in January 2012 on a Marie Curie inter-European
Fellowship continued by a lectureship (2014-2016). In this project he aimed to
study the influence of soil erosion and land use change on soil organic carbon
(SOC) depth distribution, C input and mineralization rates in order to improve
current knowledge regarding the 3D spatial and temporal evolution of SOC at
Predicting soil organic matter dynamics across a wide range of scales has become one of the most important research priorities for many soil and climate scientists to better understand and protect ecosystem health and services for future generations, including climate regulation, food productivity and flood protection.
My research contributes to this emerging scientific question by making detailed assessments of the spatial and temporal behavior of soil organic carbon (SOC) considering field, catchment, regional and national scales, with a more specific focus on following key factors and processes:
- Modelling climate change & land use change impacts on past & future national scale SOC budgets
- Investigating soil type, agro-management and erosion impacts on soil C input and mineralization.
- Assessing lateral fluxes of organic matter and sediments across the terrestrial aquatic continuum.
- Downscaling of large scale spatial distributions of SOC controlling climate variables, such as precipitation.
Articles In Journals
- Peng J, Wang A, Luo L, Liu Y, Li H, Hu YN, Meersmans J & Wu J (2019) Spatial identification of conservation priority areas for urban ecological land: An approach based on water ecosystem services, Land Degradation and Development, 30 (6) 683-694.
- Peng J, Hu X, Qiu S, Meersmans J & Liu Y (2019) Multifunctional landscapes identification and associated development zoning in mountainous area, Science of the Total Environment, 660 (April) 765-775.
- Peng J, Hu X, Wang X, Meersmans J, Liu Y & Qiu S (2019) Simulating the impact of Grain-for-Green Programme on ecosystem services trade-offs in Northwestern Yunnan, China, Ecosystem Services, 39 (October) Article No. 100998.
- Liu H, Jiang Z, Dai J, Wu X, Peng J, Wang H, Meersmans J, Green SM & Quine TA (2019) Rock crevices determine woody and herbaceous plant cover in the karst critical zone, Science China Earth Sciences, Available online 7 March 2019 (11).
- Peng J, Zhao S, Dong J, Liu Y, Meersmans J, Li H & Wu J (2019) Applying ant colony algorithm to identify ecological security patterns in megacities, Environmental Modelling and Software, 117 (July) 214-222.
- Lefebvre D, Goglio P, Williams A, Manning DAC, de Azevedo AC, Bergmann M, Meersmans J & Smith P (2019) Assessing the potential of soil carbonation and enhanced weathering through Life Cycle Assessment: a case study for Sao Paulo State, Brazil, Journal of Cleaner Production, 233 (October) 468-481.
- Albugami S, Palmer S, Cinnamon J & Meersmans J (2019) Spatial and temporal variations in the incidence of dust storms in Saudi Arabia revealed from in situ observations, Geosciences, 9 (4) Article No. 162.
- Peng J, Yang Y, Liu Y, Hu Y, Du Y, Meersmans J & Qiu S (2018) Linking ecosystem services and circuit theory to identify ecological security patterns, Science of the Total Environment, 644 (December) 781-790.
- Albugami S, Palmer S, Meersmans J & Waine T (2018) Evaluating MODIS dust-detection indices over the Arabian Peninsula, Remote Sensing, 10 (12) Article No. 1993.
- Han Y, Peng J, Meersmans J, Liu Y, Zhao Z & Mao Q (2018) Integrating spatial continuous wavelet transform and normalized difference vegetation index to map the agro-pastoral transitional zone in Northern China, Remote Sensing, 10 (12) Article No. 1928.
- Yang F, Tian J, Meersmans J, Fang H, Yang H, Lou Y, Li Z, Liu K, Zhou Y, Blagodatskaya E & Kuzyakov Y (2018) Functional soil organic matter fractions in response to long-term fertilization in upland and paddy systems in South China, CATENA, 162 (March) 270-277.
- Glendell M, Jones R, Dungait JAJ, Meusburger K, Schwendel AC, Barclay R, Barker S, Haley S, Quine TA & Meersmans J (2018) Tracing of particulate organic C sources across the terrestrial-aquatic continuum, a case study at the catchment scale (Carminowe Creek, southwest England), Science of the Total Environment, 616-617 (March) 1077-1088.
- Quine T, Guo D, Green SM, Tu C, Hartley I, Zhang X, Dungait J, Wen X, Song Z, Liu H, Buss H & Meersmans J (2017) Ecosystem service delivery in Karst landscapes: anthropogenic perturbation and recovery, Acta Geochimica, 36 (3) 416-420.
- Smith P, House J, Bustamante M, Sobocká J, Harper R, Pan G, West P, Clark J, Adhya T, Rumpel C, Paustian K, Kuikman P, Cotrufo M, Elliott J, Mcdowell R, Griffiths R, Asakawa S, Bondeau A, Jain A, Meersmans J & Pugh T (2016) Global change pressures on soils from land use and management, Global Change Biology, 22 (3) 1008-1028.
- De Baets S, van de Weg MJ, Lewis R, Steinberg N, Meersmans J, Quine TA, Shaver GR & Hartley IP (2016) Investigating the controls on soil organic matter decomposition in tussock tundra soil and permafrost after fire, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 99 108-116.
- Meersmans J, Van Weverberg K, De Baets S, De Ridder F, Palmer S, van Wesemael B & Quine T (2016) Mapping mean total annual precipitation in Belgium, by investigating the scale of topographic control at the regional scale, Journal of Hydrology, 540 (September) 96-105.
- Meersmans J, Arrouays D, Van Rompaey A, Pagé C, De Baets S & Quine T (2016) Future C loss in mid-latitude mineral soils: climate change exceeds land use mitigation potential in France, Scientific Reports, 6 Article No. 35798.
- Crouzat E, Mouchet M, Turkelboom F, Byczek C, Meersmans J, Berger F, Verkerk P & Lavorel S (2015) Assessing bundles of ecosystem services from regional to landscape scale: Insights from the French Alps, Journal of Applied Ecology, 52 (5) 1145-1155.
- Martin M, Orton T, Lacarce E, Meersmans J, Saby N, Paroissien J, Jolivet C, Boulonne L & Arrouays D (2014) Evaluation of modelling approaches for predicting the spatial distribution of soil organic carbon stocks at the national scale, Geoderma, 223 (1) 97-107.
- De Baets S, Meersmans J, Vanacker V, Quine TA & Van Oost K (2013) Spatial variability and change in soil organic carbon stocks in response to recovery following land abandonment and erosion in mountainous drylands, Soil Use and Management, 29 (1) 65-76.
- Meersmans J, Martin M, Lacarce E, Orton T, De Baets S, Gourrat M, Saby N, Wetterlind J, Bispo A, Quine T & Arrouays D (2013) Estimation of soil carbon input in France: An inverse modelling approach, Pedosphere, 23 (4) 422-436.
- De Baets S, Van Oost K, Baumann K, Meersmans J, Vanacker V & Rumpel C (2012) Lignin signature as a function of land abandonment and erosion in dry luvisols of SE Spain, CATENA, 93 78-86.
- Meersmans J, Martin M, Lacarce E, De Baets S, Jolivet C, Boulonne L, Lehmann S, Saby N, Bispo A & Arrouays D (2012) A high resolution map of French soil organic carbon, Agronomy for Sustainable Development, 32 (4) 841-851.
- Meersmans J, Martin M, De Ridder F, Lacarce E, Wetterlind J, De Baets S, Bas C, Louis B, Orton T, Bispo A & Arrouays D (2012) A novel soil organic C model using climate, soil type and management data at the national scale in France, Agronomy for Sustainable Development, 32 (4) 873-888.
- Arrouays D, Marchant BP, Saby NPA, Meersmans J, Orton TG, Martin MP, Bellamy PH, Larl RM & Kibblewhite M (2012) Generic Issues on Broad-Scale Soil Monitoring Schemes: A Review, Pedosphere, 22 (4) 456-469.
- Lacarce E, Saby N, Martin M, Marchant B, Boulonne L, Meersmans J, Jolivet C, Bispo A & Arrouays D (2012) Mapping soil Pb stocks and availability in mainland France combining regression trees with robust geostatistics, Geoderma, 170 359-368.
- De Baets S, Poesen J, Meersmans J & Serlet L (2011) Cover crops and their erosion-reducing effects during concentrated flow erosion, CATENA, 85 (3) 237-244.
- Meersmans J, Van Wesemael B, Goidts E, Van Molle M, De Baets S & De Ridder F (2011) Spatial analysis of soil organic carbon evolution in Belgian croplands and grasslands, 1960-2006, Global Change Biology, 17 (1) 466-479.
- Martin M, Wattenbach M, Smith P, Meersmans J, Jolivet C, Boulonne L & Arrouays D (2011) Spatial distribution of soil organic carbon stocks in France, Biogeosciences, 8 (5) 1053-1065.
- Van Wesemael B, Paustian K, Meersmans J, Goidts E, Barancikova G & Easter M (2010) Agricultural management explains historic changes in regional soil carbon stocks, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 107 (33) 14926-14930.
- De Baets S, Poesen J, Reubens B, Muys B, De Baerdemaeker J & Meersmans J (2009) Methodological framework to select plant species for controlling rill and gully erosion: Application to a Mediterranean ecosystem, Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 34 (10) 1374-1392.
- Meersmans J, Van Wesemael B, De Ridder F, Dotti M, De Baets S & Van Molle M (2009) Changes in organic carbon distribution with depth in agricultural soils in northern Belgium, 1960-2006, Global Change Biology, 15 (11) 2739-2750.
- Meersmans J, Van Wesemael B & Van Molle M (2009) Determining soil organic carbon for agricultural soils: A comparison between the Walkley & Black and the dry combustion methods (north Belgium), Soil Use and Management, 25 (4) 346-353.
- Meersmans J, van Wesemael B, De Ridder F & Van Molle M (2009) Modelling the three-dimensional spatial distribution of soil organic carbon (SOC) at the regional scale (Flanders, Belgium), Geoderma, 152 (1-2) 43-52.
- De Baets S, Torri D, Poesen J, Salvador MP & Meersmans J (2008) Modelling increased soil cohesion due to roots with EUROSEM, Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 33 (13) 1948-1963.
- Meersmans J, De Ridder F, Canters F, De Baets S & Van Molle M (2008) A multiple regression approach to assess the spatial distribution of Soil Organic Carbon (SOC) at the regional scale (Flanders, Belgium), Geoderma, 143 (1-2) 1-13.
- de Brauwere A, De Ridder F, Pintelon R, Meersmans J, Schoukens J & Dehairs F (2008) Identification of a periodic time series from an environmental proxy record, Computers and Geosciences, 34 (12) 1781-1790.