Contact Dr Jennifer Kingston
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754703
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
- Space Systems
BackgroundDr Kingston joined the academic staff of Cranfield University in 2003, first as a Research Fellow and from 2005 as a lecturer. Prior to this she had completed a Bachelor's Degree in Physics with Space Science and Technology at the University of Leicester, and a Master's degree in Astronautics and Space Engineering at Cranfield.
She spent 15 months working for the European Space Agency, based at ESTEC in The Netherlands and the Centre Spatiale Guyanais in French Guyana. During this time she was part of a team of young engineers who built and launched a technology demonstration satellite, TEAMSAT, on Ariane 502. Dr Kingston had key roles in satellite integration, test, and flight operations, and participated in the launch campaign. This developed her interests in fast-track development of small satellites for opportunity launches, and in 1998 Jenny returned to Cranfield to start an Engineering Doctorate in modular satellite design. The doctoral work involved working closely with industry, and also included taking a year of Cranfield's Executive MBA programme.
As a Cranfield academic, Dr Kingston now lectures in Space Systems Engineering and Spacecraft Thermal Analysis, and since 2011 has been Course Director of the Astronautics and Space Engineering MSc course.
In 2011-12 she was heavily involved in the production and test of a payload for the TechDemoSat-1 satellite.
Since 2006, Dr Kingston has also provided technical consultancy for satellite insurance underwriters and regularly attends space insurance briefings.
Current activitiesDr Kingston is Course Director for the MSc in Astronautics and Space Engineering and
module leader for Spacecraft Systems Engineering and Spacecraft Thermal Analysis modules on the MSc course.
She undertakes PhD supervision in space debris modelling and mitigation scenarios and research into innovative space architectures including multifunctional structures (recent work with the European Space Agency) and on-orbit manufacture and assembly. This includes work on the De-Orbit Sail payloads for the TechDemoSat-1 satellite, due for launch in early 2014, and ESEO satellite, to be lanched in 2015. Dr Kingston also provides technical consultancy to satellite insurance underwriters.
- EADS Astrium Ltd
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council
- European Space Agency
- Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd
Articles In Journals
- Matos de Carvalho TH & Kingston J (2018) Establishing a framework to explore the servicer-client relationship in on-orbit servicing, Acta Astronautica, 153 (December) 109-121.
- Palla C, Peroni M & Kingston J (2016) Failure analysis of satellite subsystems to define suitable de-orbit devices, Acta Astronautica, 128 (December) 343-349.
- Palla C & Kingston J (2016) Forecast analysis on satellites that need de-orbit technologies: future scenarios for passive de-orbit devices, CEAS Space Journal, 8 (3) 191-200.
- Llop JV, Roberts PCE, Palmer K, Hobbs S & Kingston J (2015) Descending Sun-Synchronous Orbits with Aerodynamic Inclination Correction, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 38 (5) 831-842.
- Kingston J, Hobbs S, Roberts P, Juanes-Vallejo C, Robinson F, Sewell R, Snapir B, Llop J & Patel M (2015) Use of CYPRES™ cutters with a Kevlar clamp band for hold-down and release of the Icarus De-Orbit Sail payload on TechDemoSat-1, Acta Astronautica, 100 (1) 82-93.
- Graham AR & Kingston J (2015) Assessment of the commercial viability of selected options for on-orbit servicing (OOS), Acta Astronautica, 117 38-48.
- R.Tsitas S & Kingston J (2012) 6U CubeSat commercial applications, Aeronautical Journal -New Series-, 116 (1176) 189-198.
- Martinez LM & Kingston J (2012) Space radiation analysis: Radiation effects and particle interaction outside the Earths magnetosphere using GRAS and GEANT4, Acta Astronautica, 72 156-164.
- Tsitas SR & Kingston J (2010) 6U CubeSat design for Earth observation with 6.5m GSD, five spectral bands and 14Mbps downlink, The Aeronautical Journal, 114 (1161) 689-697.
- Martinez V, Bastl M, Kingston J & Evans E (2010) Challenges in transforming manufacturing organisations into product-service providers, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 21 (4) 449-469.
- Baines TS, Lightfoot HW, Evans S, Neely A, Greenough R, Peppard J, Roy R, Shehab E, Braganza A, Tiwari A, Alcock JR, Angus JP, Basti M, Cousens A, Irving P, Johnson M, Kingston J, Lockett H, Martinez V, Micheli P, Tranfield D, Walton IM & Wilson H (2007) State-of-the-art in product-service systems, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 221 (10) 1543-1552.
- Berthoud L, Glester A, Akram S, Ardelean I-C, Baker A, Bannister N, Hughes I, Jones M, Kingston J, Mastracci D, Rees O, Smith K & Young A (2019) Spicing up your space education with CanSats, rockets and hackathons...-the Space Universities Network Recipe Book. In: SSEA: 3rd Symposium on Space Educational Activities, Leicester, 16-18 September 2019.
- Durrani D, Gautier F, Kersey G, Le Blay C, Ogborne S, Sitepu E, Sanchez JP, Zanotti L & Kingston J (2018) Towards drop your thesis 2018: 4.74 seconds of microgravity conditions to enable future CubeSat landings on asteroids. In: 69th International Astronautical Congress (IAC-18), 2018, Bremen, 1-5 October 2018.
- Shergill S & Kingston J (2018) Adaptive in-situ resource utilisation (ISRU) for long term space exploration. In: 69th International Astronautical Congress (IAC-18), 2018, Bremen, 1-5 October 2018.
- Palla C, Kingston J & Hobbs S (2017) Development of commercial drag-augmentation systems for small satellites. In: 7th European conference on Space Debris, Darmstadt, 18-21 April 2017.
- Palla C, Grinham D & Kingston J (2017) Development of a family of scalable drag augmentation systems. In: 2017 IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, Montana, 4-11 March 2017.
- Matos de Carvalho TH & Kingston J (2017) Simulating the servicer/client relationship in on-orbit servicing scenarios. In: 68th International Astronautical Congress, Adelaide, 25-29 September 2017.
- Peroni M, Dolce F, Kingston J, Palla C, Fanfani A & Leccese F (2016) Reliability study for LEO satellites to assist the selection of end of life disposal methods. In: 2016 IEEE Metrology for Aerospace (MetroAeroSpace), Florence, 22-23 June 2016.
- Palla C & Kingston J (2016) Applicability of drag augmentation systems to enable future LEO spacecraft compliance with debris mitigation guidelines. In: 67th International Astronautical Congress, IAC-2016, Guadalajara, 26-30 September 2016.
- Kingston JC, Hobbs SE & Roberts PCE (2008) Satellite in-orbit servicing concepts. In: 59th International Astronautical Congress, Glasgow, 29 September 2009 - 3 October 2008.
- Martinez V, Kingston J, Evans S, Gaiardelli P, Raffoni A, Vladimirova D & Claes B (2011) Organisational transformation for effective delivery of integrated products and services: thoughts on practice. Cranfield: Cranfield University/EPSRC/IMRC.