Areas of expertise
- Defence Systems Engineering
- Manufacturing of Functional Materials
- Aerospace Materials
- Renewable Energy
- Sensor Technologies
- Smart Materials
- Surface Engineering
After completig my PhD from Surrey University, I was awarded a fellowship by The Royal Society and worked at the Superconductivity Research Laboratory in Tokyo. After completing my tenure, I joined Balzers in Japan as a process engineering supporting companies manufacturing LCDs. I returned to the UK as a senior process engineer, working on assignments in both Ireland and The Netherlands. I joined Cranfield in 2002 and undertook an MBA at the Cranfield School of Management in 2007.
Coatings research and the development of SMART coatings and surfaces that mimmick nature (biomimmicking).
Short course coordinator - teaching on engineering short courses designed to give industry a hands-on approach and provide extensive training with a range of coating manufacturing methods.
Admissions Tutor for the materials programme.
Course Director of Manufacturing Technology & Management
A brief list of clients I have worked with include:
1. Whirlpool (Brazil)
2. Autoglym (UK)
3. Astrium (UK)
4. Rolls Royce (UK)
5. Novartis (UK)
6. Daido Bearings Europe (UK/Japan)
7. Safran (UK)
8. Sensornite (Bulgaria)
Articles In Journals
- Ng CH, Rao J & Nicholls J (2020) The role of PVD sputtered PTFE and Al2O3 thin films in the development of damage tolerant coating systems, Journal of Materials Research and Technology, 9 (1) 675-686.
- Brzezinka TL, Rao J, Paiva JM, Azkona I, Kohlscheen J, Fox Rabinovich GS, Veldhuis SC & Endrino JL (2020) Facilitating TiB2 for filtered vacuum cathodic arc evaporation, Coatings, 10 (3) Article No. 244.
- Brzezinka TL, Rao J, Paiva JM, Kohlscheen J, Fox-Rabinovich GS, Veldhuis SC & Endrino JL (2019) DLC and DLC-WS2 coatings for machining of aluminium alloys, Coatings, 9 (3) Article No. 192.
- Rao J, Anjum S, Craig M & Nicholls JR (2018) Bioinspired metal-polymer thin films with varying hydrophobic properties, Journal of Coatings Technology and Research, 15 (1) 87-94.
- Rao J, Sharma A & Rose T (2017) Titanium aluminium nitride and titanium boride multilayer coatings designed to combat tool wear, Coatings, 8 (1) 1-12.
- Brzezinka TL, Rao J, Chowdhury M, Kohlscheen J, Fox Rabinovich GS, Veldhuis SC & Endrino JL (2017) Hybrid Ti-MoS2 coatings for dry machining of aluminium alloys, Coatings, 7 (9) Article No. 149.
- Rao J, Roberts T, Lawson K & Nicholls J (2010) Nickel titanium and nickel titanium hafnium shape memory alloy thin films, Surface and Coatings Technology, 204 (15) 2331-2336.
- Cruz R, Rao J, Rose TWJ, Lawson KJ & Nicholls JR (2006) DLC-Ceramic Multilayers for Automotive Applications, Diamond and Related Materials, 15 (11-12) 2055-2060.
- Rao J, Cruz R, Lawson K J & Nicholls J R (2005) Carbon and titanium diboride (TiB2) multilayer coatings., Diamond and Related Materials, 13 (11-12) 2221-2225.
- Rao J, Cruz R, Lawson KJ & Nicholls JR (2005) Sputtered DLC-TiB2 multilayer films for tribological applications, Diamond and Related Materials, 14 (11-12) 1805-1809.
- Rao J, Cruz R, Lawson KJ & Nicholls JR (2004) Carbon and titanium diboride multilayer coatings, Diamond and Related Materials, 13 (11-12) 2221-2225.
- Rao J, Lawson KJ & Nicholls JR (2004) The characterisation of e-beam evaporated and magnetron sputtered carbon films fabricated for atomic oxygen sensors, Surface and Coatings Technology, 197 (2-3) 154-160.
- White CB, Rao J, Roberts GT, Chambers AR, Lawson KJ & Nicholls JR (2003) The development of carbon-based sensors for the measurement of atomic oxygen. In: 9th International Symposium on Materials in a Space Environment, Noordwijk, 16 June 2003.