BackgroundPreviously employed by Unilever Research and the University of the West of England, Bristol, I have been at Cranfield since Octber 1990. I hold a first degree in Biochemical Engineering and a PhD in Biosensors.
Current activitiesI am interested in:
- Sensors and Diagnostics
- Novel uses for venom components
- electrochemical processes
ClientsI have worked with most of the major medical diagnostics companies, but have strong current links with a few smaller businesses, including Venomtech Ltd, Inside Biometrics Ltd, Suresensor Ltd, Gwent Group and Biodot.
Articles In Journals
- Aggidis AGA, Newman JD & Aggidis GA (2015) Investigating pipeline and state of the art blood glucose biosensors to formulate next steps, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 74 243-262.
- Newman JD & Setford SJ (2006) Enzymatic Biosensors, Molecular Biotechnology, 32 (3) 249-268.
- Newman Jeffrey D & Turner Anthony P F (2005) Home blood glucose biosensors: a commercial perspective, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 20 (12) 2435-2453.
- Kadara RO, Newman JD & Tothill IE (2003) Stripping chronopotentiometric detection of copper using screen-printed three-electrode system - application to acetic- acid bioavailable fraction from soil samples, Analytica Chimica Acta, 493 (1) 95-104.
- Newman JD (2002) Self-testing of blood glucose: Biosensors and beyond, Medical Device Technology, 13 (4) 12-15.
- Sandström K J Mattias, Newman Jeffrey, Sunesson Anna-Lena, Levina Jan-Olof & Turner Anthony P F (2000) Amperometric biosensor for formic acid in air, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 70 (1-3) 182-187.
- Tothill IE, Newman JD, White SF & Turner APF (1997) Monitoring of the glucose concentration during microbial fermentation using a novel mass-producible biosensor suitable for on-line use, Enzyme and Microbial Technology, 20 (8) 590-596.
- White SF, Tothill IE, Newman JD & Turner APF (1996) Development of a mass-producible glucose biosensor and flow-injection analysis system suitable for on-line monitoring during fermentations, Analytica Chimica Acta, 321 (2-3) 165-172.
- Turner APF, Newman JD, White SF & Tothill IE (1996) New instrumentation for on-line bioprocess monitoring incorporating amperometric biosensors, Journal of Automatic Chemistry, 18 (3).
- Newman JD, White SF, Tothill IE & Turner APF (1995) Catalytic materials, membranes, and fabrication technologies suitable for the construction of amperometric biosensors, Analytical Chemistry, 67 (24) 4594-4599.
- Newman JD & Turner APF (2010) Biosensors: a mixed market. In: The 20th World Congress on Biosensors: Biosensors 2010, Glasgow, Scotland.
- Setford SJ & Newman JD (2004) Enzyme biosensors. In: Methods in Biotechnology (Microbial products and biotransformations), Humana Press, USA.
- Ducree J, Zengerle R, Newman JD, Ernst H, Riedmuller K, Messner S, Andrieux G, Provence M & Eloy J (2004) Flowmap: Microfluidics Roadmap for the Life Sciences. Books on Demand, Norderstedt, Germany.
- Newman JD & Turner APF (2004) Biosensors for monitoring glucose. In: Sensors in Medicine and Health Care (Sensors Applications), Wiley-VCH, p. 45-78.
- Sesay A, Newman JD, Kadara RO & Alcock SJ (2003) SENSPOL Survey of sensor capabilities: sensors for the abatement of water pollution from contaminated land, landfills and sediment. Cranfield University Press.