Contact Dr James Barrington
James joined the Centre for Engineering Photonics in October 2014 to commence a PhD in optical fibre sensing. He successfully defended his thesis 'Design and Fabrication of Optical Fibre Long Period Gratings for CO2 Sensing' in 2018.
Dr Barrington is currently a Research Fellow in the Centre for Engineering Photonics. His main research interests are focussed on applying optical fibre sensors to resolve 'real-world' issues. His research involves the implementation of:
Fibre Bragg Gratings
Long Period Gratings
Fibre Fabry-Perot interferometers
James's recent work has involved instrumenting aircraft wings for strain and pressure measurements and applying optical sensors on automotive fuel pumps for strain assessment.
Articles In Journals
- Kissinger T, James SW, Weber S, Mullaney K, Chehura E, Pekmezci HH, Barrington JH, Staines SE, Charrett T, Lawson NJ, Lone M, Atack R & Tatam RP (2022) Fibre-optic measurement of strain and shape on a helicopter rotor blade during a ground run: 2. Measurement of shape, Smart Materials and Structures, 31 (7) Article No. 075015. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.16974757.v2
- James SW, Kissinger T, Weber S, Mullaney K, Chehura E, Pekmezci HH, Barrington JH, Staines SE, Charrett T, Lawson NJ, Lone M, Atack R & Tatam RP (2022) Fibre-optic measurement of strain and shape on a helicopter rotor blade during a ground run: 1. Measurement of strain, Smart Materials and Structures, 31 (7) Article No. 075014. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.16974649.v2
- Li D, Barrington J, James S, Ayre D, Sloma M, Lin M-F & Yazdani Nezhad H (2022) Electromagnetic field controlled domain wall displacement for induced strain tailoring in BaTiO3-epoxy nanocomposite, Scientific Reports, 12 (1) Article No. 7504. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.19420049
- Weber S, Kissinger T, Chehura E, Staines S, Barrington J, Mullaney K, Zanotti Fragonara L, Petrunin I, James S, Lone M & Tatam R (2021) Application of fibre optic sensing systems to measure rotor blade structural dynamics, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 158 (September) Article No. 107758. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.13806794
- Barrington JH, Partridge M, James SW & Tatam RP (2018) The effect of UV irradiation duty cycle on the 2nd harmonic coupling efficiency in optical fiber long period gratings, Optics and Laser Technology, 109 (January) 227-232. Dataset/s: http://dx.doi.org/10.17862/cranfield.rd.6383036