Contact Dr Jacqueline Hannam
Areas of expertise
- Digital Agriculture
- Monitoring and Environmental Informatics
- Natural Capital
- Soil Resources
- Sustainable Land Systems
Jack currently leads the Soil Informatics group and the LandIS team at Cranfield University, who are responsible for the national soil data for England and Wales (http://www.landis.org.uk). She is currently on a part time secondment in the Welsh Government Soil Policy team until April 2023. She is President of the British Society of Soil Science (BSSS) https://soils.org.uk/.
Jack’s research centres on soil data, digital soil mapping and soil health. Her work on digital soil mapping fuses novel machine learning approaches with expert and local knowledge to develop new predictions of soil properties at national scales. Work on predictive mapping of land capability (http://lle.gov.wales/map/alc2) has identified how climate change could affect the national capability of land for agriculture. The outputs have been used for decision making by the Welsh Government and Defra in national and local policies. She has developed field scale applications of regenerative agriculture, working closely with farmers and growers to use cover crops to improve soil health. She is interested in how different forms of soil data (e.g. spectroscopy or citizen-sourced data) can be used to inform local sustainable soil management and also feed into national monitoring schemes.
She is an Associate Editor for the journals Soil Use and Management and SOIL. She is on the scientific committee for the Land Use, Land Use Change to Forestry sector for the UK GHG emission inventory. She is a passionate science communicator and has been interviewed on BBC Countryfile, BBC Radio 4 Today programme, Sky News and BBC World. She founded Soapbox Science in Milton Keynes in 2015, a public outreach platform promoting women in science. She is a member of Cranfield University's Community and Public Engagement working group and the School of Water Energy and Environment Diversity and Inclusion group.
She leads the soil systems module on the Agrifood MSc programme and has successfully supervised and examined numerous PhD and MSc students. She has developed and delivered advanced NERC training courses in soil systems for early career researchers and bespoke short courses for environmental science professionals.
I am interested in supervising PhD students in the following areas: soil data and mapping; sensor technologies, digital soil mapping and modelling; conservation agriculture and soil health; participatory approaches to soil heath with diverse stakeholders; urban soil systems.
Soil data and digital soil mapping
Developing Bayesian approaches for soil property estimation at national scales (LandIS).
EU project to develop regional-scale harmonised soil data for the Danube Basin (Joint Research Centre with ISRIC).
Updated map of peat soils in Wales providing new estimates of soil carbon stock and GHG emissions (Welsh Government). Wales Peatland Data Portal: https://smnr-nrw.hub.arcgis.com/apps/d18ef8c74ecc4dc4a0cbf71ab6935ba0/explore
Land capability approaches applied in an ESRC project to determine how soil functions are impacted by land use change resulting from food and nutrition scenarios emerging from the UK response to COVID-19 and Brexit (ES/V004433/1).
Soil health and regenerative agriculture
Developing soil indicators in England (JNCC/Defra).
David Clarke (PhD researcher NERC Centa2 DTP) is exploring how to use on-farm data to identify site-season interactions in soil and crop for sustainable intensification (with NIAB and BGS).
George Sawyer (PhD researcher University of Reading BBSRC FoodBioSystems DTP) is investigating how cover crops can increase the resilience of the agri-food system.
Zhaoxing Li (PhD researcher NERC Centa2 DTP) is assessing the soil mesofaunal response to climate pressures and the resulting impacts on soil function.
Harriet Gold (PhD researcher BBSRC FoodBioSystems DTP) is designing UK agricultural landscapes by developing a mechanistic landscape-scale model for several terrestrial invertebrates to predict agroecosystem resilience (with University of Reading and Syngenta)
Jack is contributing to a NERC Creative Climate Connections project 'Sensing Soil' working with Dr Ros Gray and artist Harun Morrison in the Goldsmiths Art and Research Garden and participants from Lewisham Refugee and Migrant Network on the climate and cultural connections of soil in urban environments.
She is also hosting artists (https://www.sarah-strachan.co.uk/) at the National Soil Archive at Cranfield University who are using the resources as research in art practice.
Previous PhD researchers
Joint Research Centre (JRC) of the European Commission
Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)
Cobham Antenna Systems
Articles In Journals
- Borchers N, Hannam J & Pawlett M (2022) Microbial community composition of translocated ancient woodland soil: a case study, Restoration Ecology, 30 (7) Article No. e13618. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.14882727
- Breure TS, Haefele SM, Hannam JA, Corstanje R, Webster R, Moreno-Rojas S & Milne AE (2022) A loss function to evaluate agricultural decision-making under uncertainty: a case study of soil spectroscopy, Precision Agriculture, 23 (4) 1333-1353.
- Brevik EC, Krzic M, Muggler C, Field D, Hannam J & Uchida Y (2022) Soil science education – a multi-national look at current perspectives, Natural Sciences Education, 51 (1) Article No. e20077.
- Chen S, Arrouays D, Mulder VL, Poggio L, Minasny B, Roudier P, Libohova Z, Lagacherie P, Shi Z, Hannam J, Meersmans J, Richer-de-Forges AC & Walter C (2022) Digital mapping of GlobalSoilMap soil properties at a broad scale: a review, Geoderma, 409 (March) Article No. 115567.
- Brevik EC, Hannam J, Krzic M, Muggler C & Uchida Y (2022) The importance of soil education to connectivity as a dimension of soil security, Soil Security, 7 (June) Article No. 100066.
- Breure TS, Prout JM, Haefele SM, Milne AE, Hannam JA, Moreno-Rojas S & Corstanje R (2022) Comparing the effect of different sample conditions and spectral libraries on the prediction accuracy of soil properties from near- and mid-infrared spectra at the field-scale, Soil and Tillage Research, 215 (January) Article No. 105196. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.16732891, 10.17862/cranfield.rd.16719823
- Storr T, Simmons RW & Hannam JA (2021) Using frost sensitive cover crops for timely nitrogen mineralization and soil moisture management, Soil Use and Management, 37 (3) 427-435. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.7660817
- Breure TS, Milne AE, Webster R, Haefele SM, Hannam JA, Moreno-Rojas S & Corstanje R (2021) Predicting the growth of lettuce from soil infrared reflectance spectra: the potential for crop management, Precision Agriculture, 22 (1) 226-248.
- Rivington M, King R, Duckett D, Iannetta P, Benton TG, Burgess PJ, Hawes C, Wellesley L, Polhill JG, Aitkenhead M, Lozada‐Ellison LM, Begg G, Williams AG, Newton A, Lorenzo‐Arribas A, Neilson R, Watts C, Harris J, Loades K, Stewart D, Wardell‐Johnson D, Gandossi G, Udugbezi E, Hannam JA & Keay C (2021) UK food and nutrition security during and after the COVID-19 pandemic, Nutrition Bulletin, 46 (1) 88-97.
- Pawlett M, Hannam JA & Knox JW (2021) Redefining soil health, Microbiology, 167 (1) Article No. 001030.
- Gabarron-Galeote MA, Hannam JA, Mayr T & Jarvis PJ (2019) BEETSOIL: a decision support tool for forecasting the impact of soil conditions on sugar beet harvest, Soil and Tillage Research, 191 (August) 131-141. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.8025401
- Storr T, Simmons RW & Hannam JA (2019) A UK survey of the use and management of cover crops, Annals of Applied Biology, 174 (2) 179-189. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.7314278
- Hallett SH, Sakrabani R, Keay CA & Hannam JA (2017) Developments in land information systems: examples demonstrating land resource management capabilities and options, Soil Use and Management, 33 (4) 514-529.
- Hannam J (2017) S.O.S. - Save our soil today to meet the food challenges of tomorrow, Environmental Scientist, 26 (1) 25-31.
- Preetz H, Igel J, Hannam JA & Stadler S (2017) Relationship between magnetic properties and reddening of tropical soils as indicators of weathering, Geoderma, 303 (October) 143-149.
- Taalab K, Corstanje R, Zawadzka J, Mayr T, Whelan MJ, Hannam JA & Creamer R (2015) On the application of Bayesian Networks in Digital Soil Mapping, Geoderma, 259-260 (December) 134-148.
- Simo I, Schulte RPO, Corstanje R, Hannam J & and Creamer RE (2015) Validating digital soil maps using soil taxonomic distance: A case study of Ireland., Geoderma Regional, 5 188-197.
- Keay CA, Jones RJA, Hannam J & Barrie I (2014) The implications of a changing climate on agricultural land classification in England and Wales, Journal of Agricultural Science, 152 (1) 23-37.
- Cavazzi S, Corstanje R, Mayr T, Hannam J & Fealy R (2013) Are fine resolution digital elevation models always the best choice in digital soil mapping?, Geoderma, 195-196 111-121.
- Hollis JM, Hannam J & Bellamy PH (2011) Empirically-derived pedotransfer functions for predicting bulk density in European soils, European Journal of Soil Science, 63 (1) 96-109.
- Boyle JF, Dearing JA, Blundell A & Hannam JA (2010) Testing competing hypotheses for soil magnetic susceptibility using a new chemical kinetic model, Geology, 38 (12) 1059-1062.
- Blundell A, Hannam JA, Dearing JA & Boyle JF (2009) Detecting atmospheric pollution in surface soils using magnetic measurements: A reappraisal using an England and Wales database, Environmental Pollution, 157 (10) 2878-2890.
- Blundell A, Dearing JA, Boyle JF & Hannam JA (2009) Controlling factors for the spatial variability of soil magnetic properties across England and Wales, Earth-Science Reviews, 95 (3-4) 158-188.
- Blundell A, Dearing J A, Boyle J F & Hannam J A (2009) Controlling factors for the spatial variability of soil magnetic susceptibility across England and Wales, Earth-Science Reviews, 95 (3-4) 158-188.
- Hannam JA & Dearing JA (2008) Mapping soil magnetic properties in Bosnia and Herzegovina for landmine clearance operations, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 274 (3-4) 285-294.
- Spassov S, Egli R, Heller F, Nourgaliev DK & Hannam JA (2004) Magnetic quantification of urban pollution sources in atmospheric particulate matter., Geophysical Journal International, 159 (2) 555-564.
- Harvey AM, Foster GC, Hannam JA & Mather A E (2003) The Tabernas alluvial fan and lake system, southeast Spain: Application of mineral magnetic and pedogenic iron oxide analyses towards clarifying the Quaternary sediment sequences, Geomorphology, 50 (1-3) 151-171.
- Dearing JA, Hannam JA, Anderson AE & Wellington EMH (2001) Magnetic, geochemical and DNA properties of highly magnetic soils in England., Geophysical Journal International, 144 (1) 183-196.
- Storr T, Simmons RW & Hannam JA (2018) Soil water and available nitrogen during cover crop growth. In: Soil Improvement: Impact of Management Practices on Soil Function and Quality, 2018, Cambridge, 16 October 2018.
- Storr T, Simmons RW & Hannam JA (2017) Do cover crops give short term benefits for soil health?. In: Sustainable Intensification, 2017, Harpenden, 28-30 November 2017.
- Storr T, Simmons R & Hannam J (2017) The use of cover crops in the UK: a survey. In: Sustainable Intensification, 2017, Harpenden, 28-30 November 2017.
- Hannam JA, Van Dam RL & Harmon RS (2009) A synthesis of current knowledge and future directions for soil magnetism research. In: SPIE Defense and Security Symposium, Orlando, Florida, 13 April 2009.
- Hannam JA & Dearing JA (2006) Modeling soil magnetic susceptibility and frequency dependent susceptibility to aid landmine clearance. In: SPIE Defense and Security Symposium, Florida, USA, 17 April 2006.
- Simo I, Constanje R, Fealy R, Hallett SH, Hannam J, Holden N, Jahns G, Jones B, Massey P, Mayr T, McDonald E, Reidy B, Schulte R, Sills P, Spaargaren O, Zawadka J & Creamer RE (2014) Mapping Soils in Ireland. In: GlobalSoilMap: Basis of the global spatial soil information system, CRC Press.
- Keay CA & Hannam JA (2013) Soil Data from the United Kingdom (England and Wales). In: European HYdropedological Data Inventory (EU-HYDI). Weynands M, Montanarella L, Toth G (ed.), Luxembourg: European Union, p. 111-115, ed. JRC 81129.
- Hannam JA, Hollis JM & Jones RJA (2007) SPADE2: The soil profile analytical database for Europe. In: Status and prospect of soil information in south-eastern Europe: soil databases, projects and applications, Office for Official Publications of the European Communities.