Contact Dr Jacqueline Hannam
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x2753
- Email: email@example.com
- Twitter: @Dirt_Science
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jacqueline-hannam-41070835?trk=hp-identity-name
Areas of expertise
- Monitoring & Environmental Informatics
- Soil Resources
- Sustainable Land Systems
- Digital Agriculture
- Natural capital
Jack joined Cranfield University in 2004 as a Research Officer in Soil Systems focusing on pedology and soil hydrology. Prior to that she worked at ETH Zurich and the University of Liverpool as a PDRA on various projects related to environmental magnetism. She has a degree in Environmental Science from the University of East Anglia and a PhD in soil magnetism from the University of Liverpool.
She is a Council Member of the British Society of Soil Science (BSSS) and is chair of the Education and Outreach committee and South East England Regional Group. She is an Associate Editor for the journal Soil Use and Management. She is a passionate science communicator and has been involved in many national outreach activities including Soapbox Science and Open Farm Sunday.
Jack's research focuses how soil changes at field to landscape scales, in particular how this affects soil functions and how we manage our soil resources. She uses digital soil mapping techniques to model and predict how soil properties change in the landscape. She is interested in how we can use environmental data and technology to better understand soil systems and provide the necessary support to manage soil sustainably at the farm level. Her extensive field experience in soil survey and classification extends to the UK and Europe. She also has expertise in the environmental magnetic properties of soils and sediments and has applied this in military contexts.
Recent projects include developing a decision support system to minimise soil damage during sugar beet harvest (KTP with British Sugar), cover crops for soil health in salad rotations (Gs Growers), effect of afforestation on soil carbon stocks (Forestry Commission), review of the evidence base of soil threats in Wales (Welsh Government) and the Irish Soil Information System (Teagasc).
She teaches soil science on the MSc Agrifood and Environment programmes at Cranfield. She has also led advanced training courses in soil systems for NERC and delivered bespoke courses in soil science for professionals.
NERC, Forestry Commission, Welsh Government, Defra, Dstl
Articles In Journals
- Hannam J (2017) S.O.S. - Save our soil today to meet the food challenges of tomorrow, Environmental Scientist, 26 (1) 25-31.
- Preetz H, Igel J, Hannam JA & Stadler S (2017) Relationship between magnetic properties and reddening of tropical soils as indicators of weathering, Geoderma, 303 (October) 143-149.
- Hallett SH, Sakrabani R, Keay CA & Hannam JA (2017) Developments in land information systems: examples demonstrating land resource management capabilities and options, Soil Use and Management, 33 (4) 514-529.
- Simo I, Schulte RPO, Corstanje R, Hannam J & and Creamer RE (2015) Validating digital soil maps using soil taxonomic distance: A case study of Ireland., Geoderma Regional, 5 188-197.
- Taalab K, Corstanje R, Zawadzka J, Mayr T, Whelan MJ, Hannam JA & Creamer R (2015) On the application of Bayesian Networks in Digital Soil Mapping, Geoderma, 259-260 134-148.
- Keay CA, Jones RJA, Hannam J & Barrie I (2014) The implications of a changing climate on agricultural land classification in England and Wales, Journal of Agricultural Science, 152 (1) 23-37.
- Cavazzi S, Corstanje R, Mayr T, Hannam J & Fealy R (2013) Are fine resolution digital elevation models always the best choice in digital soil mapping?, Geoderma, 195-196 111-121.
- Hollis JM, Hannam J & Bellamy PH (2011) Empirically-derived pedotransfer functions for predicting bulk density in European soils, European Journal of Soil Science, 63 (1) 96-109.
- Boyle JF, Dearing JA, Blundell A & Hannam JA (2010) Testing competing hypotheses for soil magnetic susceptibility using a new chemical kinetic model, Geology, 38 (12) 1059-1062.
- Blundell A, Hannam JA, Dearing JA & Boyle JF (2009) Detecting atmospheric pollution in surface soils using magnetic measurements: A reappraisal using an England and Wales database, Environmental Pollution, 157 (10) 2878-2890.
- Blundell A, Dearing JA, Boyle JF & Hannam JA (2009) Controlling factors for the spatial variability of soil magnetic properties across England and Wales, Earth-Science Reviews, 95 (3-4) 158-188.
- Blundell A, Dearing J A, Boyle J F & Hannam J A (2009) Controlling factors for the spatial variability of soil magnetic susceptibility across England and Wales, Earth-Science Reviews, 95 (3-4) 158-188.
- Hannam JA & Dearing JA (2008) Mapping soil magnetic properties in Bosnia and Herzegovina for landmine clearance operations, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 274 (3-4) 285-294.
- Spassov S, Egli R, Heller F, Nourgaliev DK & Hannam JA (2004) Magnetic quantification of urban pollution sources in atmospheric particulate matter., Geophysical Journal International, 159 (2) 555-564.
- Harvey AM, Foster GC, Hannam JA & Mather A E (2003) The Tabernas alluvial fan and lake system, southeast Spain: Application of mineral magnetic and pedogenic iron oxide analyses towards clarifying the Quaternary sediment sequences, Geomorphology, 50 (1-3) 151-171.
- Dearing JA, Hannam JA, Anderson AE & Wellington EMH (2001) Magnetic, geochemical and DNA properties of highly magnetic soils in England., Geophysical Journal International, 144 (1) 183-196.
- Hannam JA, Van Dam RL & Harmon RS (2009) A synthesis of current knowledge and future directions for soil magnetism research. In: SPIE Defense and Security Symposium, Orlando, Florida, 13 April 2009.
- Hannam JA & Dearing JA (2006) Modeling soil magnetic susceptibility and frequency dependent susceptibility to aid landmine clearance. In: SPIE Defense and Security Symposium, Florida, USA, 17 April 2006.
- Simo I, Constanje R, Fealy R, Hallett SH, Hannam J, Holden N, Jahns G, Jones B, Massey P, Mayr T, McDonald E, Reidy B, Schulte R, Sills P, Spaargaren O, Zawadka J & Creamer RE (2014) Mapping Soils in Ireland. In: GlobalSoilMap: Basis of the global spatial soil information system, CRC Press.
- Keay CA & Hannam JA (2013) Soil Data from the United Kingdom (England and Wales). In: European HYdropedological Data Inventory (EU-HYDI). Weynands M, Montanarella L, Toth G (ed.), Luxembourg: European Union, p. 111-115, ed. JRC 81129.
- Hannam JA, Hollis JM & Jones RJA (2007) SPADE2: The soil profile analytical database for Europe. In: Status and prospect of soil information in south-eastern Europe: soil databases, projects and applications, Office for Official Publications of the European Communities.