Areas of expertise
- Autonomous Systems
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Gas Turbines & Propulsion
- Industrial Automation
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Throughlife Engineering Services
- Vehicle Health Management
- BSc and MSc in design of electronic equipment, National Technical University of Ukraine "KPI", Kiev, 1996 and 1998
- Lecturer in Digital Signal Processing in National Technical University of Ukraine "KPI", Kiev , 2001-2005
- PhD in Signal Processing for Condition Monitoring, Cranfield, 2013
Ivan has extensive knowledge and experience in signal processing for various applications in industry and civil engineering related to detection and classification of weak non-stationary signatures in RF, acoustic, ultrasonic and vibration signals in complex environments. This is based on his involvement in research projects funded by research councils (Innovate UK, European FP7 and H2020 projects) and industrial partners (Rolls-Royce, Shell, Airbus and Thales), concerning development and application of signal processing algorithms (more than 15 projects over last 14 years) and supported by over 30 journal and conference papers published.
Ivan is currently involved in research on problems related to applications of signal processing in the area of autonomous systems: position, navigation and timing (PNT), communication, signal processing for remote sensing as well as for fault diagnosis in condition monitoring of machinery and non-destructive testing applications.
- Scottish and Southern Energy
- Dresser-Rand (Peterbroutherhood)
- London Underground
Articles In Journals
- Gelman L, Petrunin I, Parrish C & Walters M (2020) Novel health monitoring technology for in‐service diagnostics of intake separation in aircraft engines, Structural Control and Health Monitoring, Available online 24 February 2020 (5) Article No. e2479.
- Mohammadkhani, R. Zanotti Fragonara L, Padiyar MJ, Petrunin I, Raposo J, Tsourdos A & Gray I. (2020) Improving depth resolution of ultrasonic phased array imaging to inspect aerospace composite structures, Sensors, 20 (2) Article No. 559.
- Kostopoulos V, Psarras S, Loutas T, Sotiriadis G, Gray I, Padiyar MJ, Petrunin I, Raposo J, Fragonara LZ, Tzitzilonis V, Dassios K, Exarchos D, Andrikopoulos G & Nikolakopoulos G (2018) Autonomous inspection and repair of aircraft composite structures, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 51 (30) 554-557.
- Gelman L, Parrish C, Petrunin I & Walters M (2017) Novel in-service combustion instability detection using the chirp fourier higher order spectra, International Journal of Prognostics and Health Management, 8 (1) 1-8.
- Gelman L & Petrunin I (2010) Time-frequency higher-order spectra with adjustment to the instantaneous frequency variation, International Journal of Adaptive Control and Signal Processing, 24 (3) 178-187.
- Petrunin I & Gelman L (2008) Novel optimisation of bicoherence estimation for fatigue monitoring, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 50 (3) 133-135.
- Gelman Leonid & Petrunin Ivan (2007) The new multidimensional time/multi-frequency transform for higher order spectral analysis, Multidimensional Systems and Signal Processing, 18 (4) 317-325.
- Gelman L, Jenkin P, Petrunin I & Crocker MJ (2006) Vibroacoustical damping diagnostics: Complex frequency response function versus its magnitude, International Journal of Acoustics and Vibrations, 11 (3) 120-124.
- Gelman L, Jenkin P, Petrunin I, Sanderson M & Thompson C (2005) Novel vibro-acoustical technology for pipe deposition monitoring, International Journal of Comadem, 8 (4) 24-32.
- Gelman L, Astley K & Petrunin I (2003) Condition monitoring of fatigue cracks in machinery blades, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 45 (8) 539-541.
- Gelman L, Petrunin I, Sanderson M & Thompson C (2003) Vibro-acoustic deposit detection in pipelines, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 45 (7) 466-470.
- Xu Z, Petrunin I, Li T & Tsourdos A (2019) Greedy based proactive spectrum handoff scheme for cognitive radio systems. In: 2019 IEEE Cognitive Communications for Aerospace Applications Workshop (CCAAW), Cleveland, OH, 25-26 June 2019.
- Gonzalez G. Mori, Petrunin I., Zbikowski R., Voutsis K. & Moreno R. Verdeguer (2019) Vulnerability analysis of GPS receiver software. In: 2019 International Conference on Localization and GNSS (ICL-GNSS), Nuremberg, 4-6 June 2019.
- Mohammadkhani R, Zanotti Fragonara L, Padiyar J, Petrunin I, Tsourdos A & Gray I (2019) Ultrasonic phased array imaging technology for the inspection of aerospace composite structures. In: 2019 IEEE 5th International Workshop on Metrology for AeroSpace (MetroAeroSpace), Torino, 19-21 June 2019.
- Weber S, Southgate D, Mullaney K, James S, Rutherford R, Sharma A, Lone M, Kissinger T, Chehura E, Staines S, Pekmezci H, Fragonara LZ, Petrunin I, Williams D, Moulitsas I, Cooke A, Lawson N, Rosales W, Tatam R, Morrish P, Fairhurst M, Atack R, Bailey G & Morley S (2018) Bladesense – a novel approach for measuring dynamic helicopter rotor blade deformation. In: 44th European Rotorcraft Forum (ERF 2018), Delft, 18-21 September 2018.
- Gelman L, Jennions I & Petrunin I (2011) Detection of chipped tooth in gears by the novel residual technology. In: 8th International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies 2011 (CM 2011/MFPT 2011), Cardiff, Wales, 20-22 June 2011.
- Gelman LM, Petrunin IV, Sanderson ML & Thompson CP (2004) Damage detection capabilities based on new signal processing approach. In: 45th AIAA/ASME/SME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, 2004, Palm Springs, CA, 19-22 April 2004.
- Gelman L, Petrunin I & Thompson C (2003) Fatigue crack monitoring in aero-engines: simulation and experiments. In: Optical Technologies for Industrial, Environmental and Biological Sensing, 2003, Providence, Rhode Island, 27-31 October 2003.