Areas of expertise
- Autonomous Systems
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Gas Turbines & Propulsion
- Industrial Automation
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Throughlife Engineering Services
- Vehicle Health Management
- BSc and MSc in design of electronic equipment, National Technical University of Ukraine "KPI", Kiev, 1996 and 1998
- Lecturer in Digital Signal Processing in National Technical University of Ukraine "KPI", Kiev , 2001-2005
- PhD in Signal Processing for Condition Monitoring, Cranfield, 2013
Ivan has extensive knowledge and experience in signal processing for various applications in industry and civil engineering related to detection and classification of weak non-stationary signatures in RF, acoustic, ultrasonic and vibration signals in complex environments. This is based on his involvement in research projects funded by research councils (Innovate UK, European FP7 and H2020 projects) and industrial partners (Rolls-Royce, Shell, Airbus and Thales), concerning development and application of signal processing algorithms (more than 15 projects over last 14 years) and supported by over 30 journal and conference papers published.
Ivan is currently involved in research on problems related to applications of signal processing in the area of autonomous systems: position, navigation and timing (PNT), communication, signal processing for remote sensing as well as for fault diagnosis in condition monitoring of machinery and non-destructive testing applications.
- Scottish and Southern Energy
- Dresser-Rand (Peterbroutherhood)
- London Underground
Articles In Journals
- Padiyar JM, Zanotti Fragonara L, Petrunin I, Raposo J, Tsourdos A, Gray I, Farmaki S, Exarchos D, Matikas TE & Dassios KG (2021) Fast, accurate, and reliable detection of damage in aircraft composites by advanced synergistic infrared thermography and phased array techniques, Applied Sciences, 11 (6) Article No. 2778.
- Weber S, Kissinger T, Chehura E, Staines S, Barrington J, Mullaney K, Zanotti Fragonara L, Petrunin I, James S, Lone M & Tatam R (2021) Application of fibre optic sensing systems to measure rotor blade structural dynamics, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 158 (September) Article No. 107758. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.13806794
- Xu Z, Petrunin I, Li T & Tsourdos A (2021) Efficient allocation for downlink multi-channel NOMA systems considering complex constraints, Sensors, 21 (5) Article No. 1833.
- Xu Z, Petrunin I & Tsourdos A (2021) Dynamic spectrum management with network function virtualization for UAV communication, Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, 2021 (101) Article No. 40.
- Xu Z, Petrunin I & Tsourdos A (2021) Modeling and performance analysis of opportunistic link selection for UAV communication, Sensors, 21 (2) Article No. 534.
- Isik OK, Hong J, Petrunin I & Tsourdos A (2020) Integrity analysis for GPS-based navigation of UAVs in urban environment, Robotics, 9 (3) Article No. 66.
- Xu Z, Petrunin I & Tsourdos A (2020) Identification of communication signals using learning approaches for cognitive radio applications, IEEE Access, 8 128930-128941.
- Gelman L, Petrunin I, Parrish C & Walters M (2020) Novel health monitoring technology for in‐service diagnostics of intake separation in aircraft engines, Structural Control and Health Monitoring, Volume 27 (5) Article No. e2479.
- Mohammadkhani, R. Zanotti Fragonara L, Padiyar MJ, Petrunin I, Raposo J, Tsourdos A & Gray I. (2020) Improving depth resolution of ultrasonic phased array imaging to inspect aerospace composite structures, Sensors, 20 (2) Article No. 559.
- Kostopoulos V, Psarras S, Loutas T, Sotiriadis G, Gray I, Padiyar MJ, Petrunin I, Raposo J, Fragonara LZ, Tzitzilonis V, Dassios K, Exarchos D, Andrikopoulos G & Nikolakopoulos G (2018) Autonomous inspection and repair of aircraft composite structures, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 51 (30) 554-557.
- Gelman L, Parrish C, Petrunin I & Walters M (2017) Novel in-service combustion instability detection using the chirp fourier higher order spectra, International Journal of Prognostics and Health Management, 8 (1) 1-8.
- Gelman L & Petrunin I (2012) Novel anomaly detection technique based on the nearest neighbour and sequential methods, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 54 (8) 433-435.
- Gelman L, Petrunin I & Komoda J (2010) The new chirp-Wigner higher order spectra for transient signals with any known nonlinear frequency variation, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 24 (2) 567-571.
- Gelman L & Petrunin I (2010) Time-frequency higher-order spectra with adjustment to the instantaneous frequency variation, International Journal of Adaptive Control and Signal Processing, 24 (3) 178-187.
- Petrunin I & Gelman L (2008) Novel optimisation of bicoherence estimation for fatigue monitoring, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 50 (3) 133-135.
- Gelman Leonid & Petrunin Ivan (2007) The new multidimensional time/multi-frequency transform for higher order spectral analysis, Multidimensional Systems and Signal Processing, 18 (4) 317-325.
- Gelman L, Jenkin P, Petrunin I & Crocker MJ (2006) Vibroacoustical damping diagnostics: Complex frequency response function versus its magnitude, International Journal of Acoustics and Vibrations, 11 (3) 120-124.
- Gelman L, Jenkin P, Petrunin I, Sanderson M & Thompson C (2005) Novel vibro-acoustical technology for pipe deposition monitoring, International Journal of Comadem, 8 (4) 24-32.
- Gelman L, Astley K & Petrunin I (2003) Condition monitoring of fatigue cracks in machinery blades, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 45 (8) 539-541.
- Gelman L, Petrunin I, Sanderson M & Thompson C (2003) Vibro-acoustic deposit detection in pipelines, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 45 (7) 466-470.
- Nanos N, Kagan Isik O, Verdeguer Moreno R, Petrunin I, Panagiotakopoulos D & Tsourdos A (2021) UAV path planning optimization based on GNSS quality and mission requirements. In: AIAA SciTech Forum 2021, Virtual Event, 19-21 January 2021.
- Ayub S, Petrunin I, Tsourdos A & Xu Z (2020) Analysis of wireless connectivity applications at airport surface. In: 2019 IEEE/AIAA 38th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), San Diego, 8-12 September 2019.
- Xu Z, Petrunin I, Tsourdos A & Ayub S (2020) Learning based spectrum hole detection for cognitive radio communication. In: 2019 IEEE/AIAA 38th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), San Diego, 8-12 September 2019.
- Tariq N, Petrunin I, Tsourdos A & Al-Rubaye S (2020) External synchronisation in time-triggered networks. In: 2020 International Symposium on Networks, Computers and Communications (ISNCC), Montreal, 20-22 October 2020.
- Deliparaschos KM, Santha G, Zanotti Fragonara L, Petrunin I, Zolotas A & Tsourdos A (2020) A preliminary investigation of an autonomous vehicle validation infrastructure for smart cities. In: 2020 International Conference Mechatronic Systems and Materials (MSM), Bialystok, 1-3 July 2020.
- Tariq N, Petrunin I, Al-Rubaye S, Tsourdos A & Zischka W (2020) Quality of service study in synchronized time-triggered aerial networks. In: 2020 AIAA/IEEE 39th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), San Antonio, 11-15 October 2020.
- Ayub S, Petrunin I, Tsourdos A, Al-Rubaye S, Stapylton G & Dent G (2020) In-flight entertainment datalink analysis and simulation. In: 2020 AIAA/IEEE 39th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), San Antonio, 11-15 October 2020.
- Mori GG, Petrunin I, Zbikowski R, Voutsis K & Verdeguer MR (2019) Vulnerability analysis of GPS receiver software. In: 2019 International Conference on Localization and GNSS (ICL-GNSS), Nuremberg, 4-6 June 2019.
- Xu Z, Petrunin I, Li T & Tsourdos A (2019) Greedy based proactive spectrum handoff scheme for cognitive radio systems. In: 2019 IEEE Cognitive Communications for Aerospace Applications Workshop (CCAAW), Cleveland, OH, 25-26 June 2019.
- Mohammadkhani R, Zanotti Fragonara L, Padiyar J, Petrunin I, Tsourdos A & Gray I (2019) Ultrasonic phased array imaging technology for the inspection of aerospace composite structures. In: 2019 IEEE 5th International Workshop on Metrology for AeroSpace (MetroAeroSpace), Torino, 19-21 June 2019.
- Weber S, Southgate D, Mullaney K, James S, Rutherford R, Sharma A, Lone M, Kissinger T, Chehura E, Staines S, Pekmezci H, Fragonara LZ, Petrunin I, Williams D, Moulitsas I, Cooke A, Lawson N, Rosales W, Tatam R, Morrish P, Fairhurst M, Atack R, Bailey G & Morley S (2018) Bladesense – a novel approach for measuring dynamic helicopter rotor blade deformation. In: 44th European Rotorcraft Forum (ERF 2018), Delft, 18-21 September 2018.
- Gelman L, Jennions I & Petrunin I (2011) Detection of chipped tooth in gears by the novel residual technology. In: 8th International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies 2011 (CM 2011/MFPT 2011), Cardiff, Wales, 20-22 June 2011.
- Gelman LM, Petrunin IV, Sanderson ML & Thompson CP (2004) Damage detection capabilities based on new signal processing approach. In: 45th AIAA/ASME/SME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, 2004, Palm Springs, CA, 19-22 April 2004.
- Gelman L, Petrunin I & Thompson C (2003) Fatigue crack monitoring in aero-engines: simulation and experiments. In: Optical Technologies for Industrial, Environmental and Biological Sensing, 2003, Providence, Rhode Island, 27-31 October 2003.